People that annoy you...

Annoyance #161:

People that post to Captan's gratuitous post count threads and don't post to Sac Arrow's gratuitous post count threads.

We once had a neighbor who started taking her two yappy dogs out for playtime at oh-dark-thirty -- every day. No earplugs could attentuate that yippy frequency. This went on for months of sleep deprivation -- which is banned even by the Geneva Convention.

One day I finally snapped, threw on my bathrobe, walked across the street barefoot (in winter, in Iowa) and started screaming. The lady thought she was seeing a madman -- and she was 100% right.

Never had the problem again. :D

(Chuckle). Twenty years ago July, I was studying for the bar; we had just moved into our new-to-us home (still in it), and there was a little s--- dog across the alley from us. Old lady who owned it would put it in the screen-porch every night, and it would just sit there doing this unstopping "Uh! Uh! Uh! Uh!" barking... for hours. Finally, I snapped (like Jay, only with less style), and went around there to do something about it. I knocked on the door, and the old biddy hollered through the door at me, and I at her. Having heard my entreaties that she bring her dog indoors so the barking would stop, she told me that hte dog had not barked a lick until I knocked on her door. Right.

I don't use cruise control - It's not the most efficient method of getting from point A to point B, since it'll pour gas into the engine on the uphills. So, I do the more efficient thing - Constant throttle (pedal) position, which means at the top of a hill I'm slower and the bottom I'm faster. I also don't accelerate like crazy out of stops.

That said, I do pay attention to the traffic around me and I'll get out of the way or burn gas if I have to, to avoid impeding others. Of course, if they start acting annoyed and pull stupid maneuvers around me after I get out of their way, I no longer do anything to stay out of their way...

I have found that I almost never need brakes, even in all but the worst stop and go traffic. More relaxing and I still haul azz - I just plan.

Then there are the dopes in the left lane of the interstate that, for some reason, are able to catch up to you but then park on your left instead of continuing to pass. That's always fun when you come up on slower traffic in the right lane and have to get out of your cruise controlled world.

Should be hung from their thumbs. It's sort of like surface tension; when drivers get next to another car, they tend to just pace it. This is especially bad when the driver on the left is yakking away on the cell phone. They so often look like Honey Boo-Boo's mom.

The barber pole is not a limitation, it's a goal! :)

Mari, you are my hero.

I have found that I almost never need brakes, even in all but the worst stop and go traffic. More relaxing and I still haul azz - I just plan.

You're Bob Hoover in a Caddy, Spike. :)

But I agree - I do the same thing. No sense wasting gas building up kinetic energy and then wasting it in heat in the brakes!

And, for the record, when this happens I blame the guy on the right...the one being passed...if he'd get off the peg for just 10 seconds and let the other guy pass, then he'd save everyone else a lot of time and blood pressure medication.

They're all getting paid by the mile... And those poor bastards working for JB Hunt are governed at 62 mph, they can't afford to get much slower!!!

FWIW... JB Hunt trucks have been governed at 62 mph for a very long time. When you see one, you know to get around it. Schneider (orange trucks and trailers) and Swift may also be governed at low speeds, but since they keep changing their minds, I'm not sure where they're at now.

Most other trucks you run into east of the Mississippi are governed at 65-67. Out west you don't see too many of the aforementioned trucks on the road, as many of them are sitting on the back of trains heading for California. Once you get to the coastal states, most everyone is slow again.

BTW, the other problem is split speed limits. Illinois was the first state to come up with that whacked-out idea, but they don't really enforce it any more and may have even abolished it now. Michigan and California are the worst - In both, the speed limit for cars is 70 and trucks is 55. :frown2: So, don't always blame the trucks. Sigh.

They're all getting paid by the mile... And those poor bastards working for JB Hunt are governed at 62 mph, they can't afford to get much slower!!!

FWIW... JB Hunt trucks have been governed at 62 mph for a very long time. When you see one, you know to get around it. Schneider (orange trucks and trailers) and Swift may also be governed at low speeds, but since they keep changing their minds, I'm not sure where they're at now.

Most other trucks you run into east of the Mississippi are governed at 65-67. Out west you don't see too many of the aforementioned trucks on the road, as many of them are sitting on the back of trains heading for California. Once you get to the coastal states, most everyone is slow again.

BTW, the other problem is split speed limits. Illinois was the first state to come up with that whacked-out idea, but they don't really enforce it any more and may have even abolished it now. Michigan and California are the worst - In both, the speed limit for cars is 70 and trucks is 55. :frown2: So, don't always blame the trucks. Sigh.

Amen, that was the stupidest thing I ever saw when it comes to highway safety.

Amen, that was the stupidest thing I ever saw when it comes to highway safety.

You can always count on the government to implement plss-poor ideas that sound good to the average voter in principle but have absolutely no merit in reality.

Like, say, the TSA.

From a trucker forum. :)

My Pet Peeve For Newbie Drivers !

Not that I am whining here, (but then again!) I just have to get this one off my chest. For all you newbie drivers out there I have a request from an old school trucker.

SLOWER TRUCKS (Traffic) KEEP TO THE RIGHT

Now I know they dont teach this in Trucker School so let me explain it to you!

If you are cruising along at your governed speed of 62 or 65 mph and you want to pass the next truck thats going 62 or 65 mph, please look in your mirror before you pull out in to the hammer lane and start what we call the "drag race" between you and your competitor. If you see a big truck gaining on you that means we are going much faster than you are and would appreciate it if you would wait for two more seconds for us to pass you before you start your drag race, not all of us are governed to 65 mph!

Its not only rude to pull out in front of us, it starts many arguments out on the road ! I have seen many drivers get "in to it" at truck stops over the dumbest crap, and slow trucks are not immune to this new type of CB Ramboism!

So next time you want to pass, please make sure there is no one coming up on you that could easily pass you in a few seconds.
"Drag race" :D

I chat with the UPS drivers out here on the ham radio (pretty much any night I get around to turning it on... Rich KB0HH is a nice guy...), and they used to be governed for a long time at 55. Of course, they also are allowed to pull Rocky Mountain Doubles, so maybe that's smart... Doesn't bother those guys, they're pretty much getting paid the same always.

Weather gets bad I've heard them have to drop the pup trailer just to make it into the yard. It's usually somewhere near town where it gets too hairy to pull the pup. They call the yard and tell them to send out a yard tractor to get the pup when it gets bad.

Another ham I knew who was also a pilot drove for Beco for USPS contract from DEN to SLC all the time. It was rare not to hear him on the radio. US 287 is awful in bad weather. He was governed really slow too. Last I heard he was still driving but fell away from ham and aviation and bought a farm. I need to figure out how to get in touch and see how he's doing.

The boyfriend of the girl across the street. He stops by every morning to pick her up to drive to school, then sits in the driveway and honks the horn until she comes out of the house.

Sounds like a real gentleman. :rolleyes2:

Treat your girl with some respect and go get her at her door.

Sounds like a real gentleman. :rolleyes2:

Treat your girl with some respect and go get her at her door.

Or at least just dig out the cell phone like everyone else.

I hope her standards haven't gone down this year. Her two older brothers used to keep an eye on dudes like this, but now they are both out of the house.

They're all getting paid by the mile...

That doesn't make it okay for them to cost me 5 to 10 minutes in order to save them self a mere 5 to 10 seconds.

And, as the trucker forum link talked about, what's far worse is when they see you coming up behind them and jump out ahead of you...then partake in their elephant race (drag race) antics for the next 10 miles.

What gets really frustrating (in areas of rolling terrain like around here) is when one truck is faster climbing a hill and the other is faster going down a hill. I've followed a pair of these clowns slow dancing with each other for 10 miles (or more) more times than I can count.

From 2004 to 2011, I averaged more than 40k miles per year in my Co. Truck and, in doing so, I spent a lot of time behind these yahoos.

That doesn't make it okay for them to cost me 5 to 10 minutes in order to save them self a mere 5 to 10 seconds.

I used to complain about truckers too. Up until 1975 that is! That is when I did a one year stint as an over-the-road flatbed driver. When it comes to bitching, truck drivers have much more cause to gripe about stupid tricks 4-wheelers do than vice-versa.

Except in Texas where their drivers are the most courteous. Every Stupid driver I saw in Texas had out of state plates. Not to say Texans don't drive way too fast. But they will get out of your way. 4-wheel drivers complain that trucks cost them a few minutes. Road drivers complain that 4 wheelers keep trying to cost them their lives and livelihoods.

I guess today is my day to be the contrarian.

Eh, that's trivial dribble. Try living in a rathole, um, apartment, sometime. 24 hours a day 7 days a week of babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam loud music. When it's not loud and you can't hear it too much it's low frequency thumping that makes the chinese water torture treatment look like childs play.
Geneva Convention be dammed. It's Justifiable Homicide.

NEVER effing again. EVER.

Unconsiderate and noisy neighbors are really annoying and can screw up your productive day. Just call the cops every single time they are loud at night and eventually they will stop.

When it comes to bitching, truck drivers have much more cause to gripe about stupid tricks 4-wheelers do than vice-versa.
You won't get an argument out of me on that one. Cagers are far worse, on average, than truckers...they're just weren't the topic at the time! :)

OTOH, Cagers usually do something stupid because they're ignorant or distracted. Truckers, however, are many times stupid on purpose, especially independent truckers. Neither is excusable but I find purposeful stupidity far less palatable.

OTOH, Cagers usually do something stupid because they're ignorant or distracted. Truckers, however, are many times stupid on purpose, especially independent truckers. Neither is excusable but I find purposeful stupidity far less palatable.

Hmmm. Not sure about that. What kind of "stupid on purpose" things are you talking about? Most truck drivers aren't going to do something stupid on purpose.

Now, if you're talking about some of the few O/O's that think they own the world, then I'd agree. They're pretty easy to spot. They're usually driving a Peterbilt 379 with the teeth on the grille.

They're the ones who gave rise to this joke:

What does Peterbilt stand for?

Please
Excuse
The
Extremely
Rude
Bastard
In
Large
Truck.

:rofl: :frown2:

I used to complain about truckers too. Up until 1975 that is! That is when I did a one year stint as an over-the-road flatbed driver. When it comes to bitching, truck drivers have much more cause to gripe about stupid tricks 4-wheelers do than vice-versa.

I guess today is my day to be the contrarian.

No sir, you speak the truth.

Look what a 4-wheeler did to me a few years back:

attachment.php

One of many reasons I'm glad I moved on from that career. Had the above happened about 1/4 second later, I wouldn't be talking to you because I'd have hit a gasoline tanker head-on.

Attachments

• DSCN2647.jpg
    DSCN2647.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 158
And, as the trucker forum link talked about, what's far worse is when they see you coming up behind them and jump out ahead of you...then partake in their elephant race (drag race) antics for the next 10 miles.

Y'know why they do that? Because for some reason, people are SO set on never being behind a truck that as soon as the truck's turn signal goes on, the four-wheelers try to block them. So, rather than getting stuck behind the other guy, they'll just jump out early. Been there, done that. As a truck driver, the vast majority of the times you attempt to be courteous, you get burned.

I've been traveling by the commercial way to often lately. People who annoy me are those travelers that walk against the obvious flow of people in the concourses. What side of the road do you drive on? I don't see this problem with the GA folk.

Y'know why they do that? Because for some reason, people are SO set on never being behind a truck that as soon as the truck's turn signal goes on, the four-wheelers try to block them. So, rather than getting stuck behind the other guy, they'll just jump out early. Been there, done that. As a truck driver, the vast majority of the times you attempt to be courteous, you get burned.

I'm still the guy that flashes headlights to let the truck passing me know he's clear to move over.

--

I got to watch a numb-nuts in action a couple years ago. Must have been around Christmas because there was a lot of snow on the ground. This particular 250 mile stretch of interstate is very busy, and has a lot of truck traffic. A truck was trying to get around another truck, but wasn't able to get a break in the traffic long enough to move to the left lane. Eventually, enough people backed off to let him go around, so he signaled and moved into the left lane. That was just at the same time some guy decided to come blasting past everyone, thinking he had a clear lane ahead. The truck drifted over, and forced him into the median where he got stuck in the snow. The only person I felt sorry for was the truck driver since I'm sure he was the one that got the ticket.

I also try to give some extra courtesies for truckers (thanks in large measure to some of Kent's stories related over cold ones at Gaston's).

While trucks can be a problem on the highways, it is rarely on purpose.

On the other hand, what about all the numb-nutses who drive along mile after mile in the left lane, pacing the car(s) next to them with clear road ahead, while behind them, a line of vehicles half a mile long grows, with inevitable and natural wave-motion causing increasing conflict. "Slower traffic keep right" means if you are slower than the guy behind you, you yield. It's common sense, and yet so many people seem to feel that hey are authorized and empowered to decide what "slower" means and impose their will on the other drivers, regardless of the increased danger they create.

I also try to give some extra courtesies for truckers (thanks in large measure to some of Kent's stories related over cold ones at Gaston's).

On the other hand, what about all the numb-nutses who drive along mile after mile in the left lane, pacing the car(s) next to them with clear road ahead, while behind them, a line of vehicles half a mile long grows, with inevitable and natural wave-motion causing increasing conflict. "Slower traffic keep right" means if you are slower than the guy behind you, you yield. It's common sense, and yet so many people seem to feel that hey are authorized and empowered to decide what "slower" means and impose their will on the other drivers, regardless of the increased danger they create.

Highway #20 from Oak Harbor off Island is a 2 lane road, that will always have a 35 mile per hour Fogie leading 70-100 cars. and is the most dangerous highway in the state. simply because of this problem because there is no safe place to pass.

Highway #20 from Oak Harbor off Island is a 2 lane road, that will always have a 35 mile per hour Fogie leading 70-100 cars. and is the most dangerous highway in the state. simply because of this problem because there is no safe place to pass.

That's all the back roads in SE Missouri. I lived in Lampe and taught sailing at the State Park Marina one summer in Branson. That whole region is frought with Iweejans who have never driven before without being able to see 20 miles around them and they hit the brakes to take the curves that are good for running speed.

....what's far worse is when they see you coming up behind them and jump out ahead of you...then partake in their elephant race (drag race) antics for the next 10 miles.

What gets really frustrating (in areas of rolling terrain like around here) is when one truck is faster climbing a hill and the other is faster going down a hill. I've followed a pair of these clowns slow dancing with each other for 10 miles (or more) more times than I can count.

I have witnessed that more times then I care to remember, and it gets old REAL fast... As my tenant says..... Big trucks / small dicks...

There are complications to those boneheaded elephant races too... Some people have been known to use a hand held device to " ruin" the tires on the trailer axle as they pass by.... It really screws up the truckers day when they have to pull over and replace #11 and #15 tires on their rig....:wink2:

Hmmm. Not sure about that. What kind of "stupid on purpose" things are you talking about?

Having elephant races for 10 miles.

Now, if you're talking about some of the few O/O's that think they own the world, then I'd agree.

That's exactly who I'm talking about! :thumbsup:

Company drivers are far more courteous.

What does Peterbilt stand for?

Please
Excuse
The
Extremely
Rude
Bastard
In
Large
Truck.

:rofl: :frown2:
That's hilarious...

That's all the back roads in SE Missouri. I lived in Lampe and taught sailing at the State Park Marina one summer in Branson. That whole region is frought with Iweejans who have never driven before without being able to see 20 miles around them and they hit the brakes to take the curves that are good for running speed.

...then they all move to Florida and drive that way in the left lane.

A big annoyance is when people on this board read into a post what isn't there.

Geezers in Corvettes.

They are wearing the stupid hat (you know what kind). Why? I mean, really, why?

They have the stupid driving gloves on.

And they drive 5 - 10 under in the left lane.

Geezers in Corvettes.

They are wearing the stupid hat (you know what kind). Why? I mean, really, why?

They have the stupid driving gloves on.

And they drive 5 - 10 under in the left lane.

Side question - I received one of those stupid hats as a Christmas gift a while back. I've never worn it but as hats go, I thought it might look kind of cool. Outside of being old and driving a Corvette, you think it would still be totally dorky?

I think it depends on how long they can stand the horn and blinking lights behind them.
It wouldn't be so bad if he did it once (it would still annoy me, though) - but, come on, man! Give her more than three or four seconds to open the door before you do it again, and again, ...

Side question - I received one of those stupid hats as a Christmas gift a while back. I've never worn it but as hats go, I thought it might look kind of cool. Outside of being old and driving a Corvette, you think it would still be totally dorky?

Yes.

When you get to be my age, no one on the planet cares how you look. Attempting to look "Snazzy" just brings to mind the old saying - no fool like an old fool...

So I go around perfectly happy looking like this:

Attachments

• Dad_Small.jpg
    Dad_Small.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 31
If it's any consolation, you look much snazzier than the dude behind you who's not wearing any headgear.

Yes.

When you get to be my age, no one on the planet cares how you look. Attempting to look "Snazzy" just brings to mind the old saying - no fool like an old fool...

Yes.

Hey, that's my hat!

People that annoy me....

those who say schools are gun free zones..

Back