People that annoy you...

Back to people using the shoulder when making a right turn on a paved road. I used to do that too. A friend of mine got a $100+ ticket for doing so. But that still didn't stop me. Until a couple of years ago when *I* got a $100+ ticket for it.

Back to people using the shoulder when making a right turn on a paved road. I used to do that too. A friend of mine got a $100+ ticket for doing so. But that still didn't stop me. Until a couple of years ago when *I* got a $100+ ticket for it.

huh?

What was the ticket for?

OTOH...when I first drove in Texas (back in the 80s) I was amazed to find that the average person, when you came up behind them on a rural two lane highway, would simply move over on the shoulder (wide and paved) and let you pass.

That doesn't happen in Missouri...probably because we don't have paved shoulders on most highways and you can't see for 100 miles.

OTOH...when I first drove in Texas (back in the 80s) I was amazed to find that the average person, when you came up behind them on a rural two lane highway, would simply move over on the shoulder (wide and paved) and let you pass.

That doesn't happen in Missouri...probably because we don't have paved shoulders on most highways and you can't see for 100 miles.

Texas Hwy 361 runs down the spine of the island I live on. It is 2-lane, flat, and straight as an arrow for 15 miles -- but with wide, paved shoulders.

Everyone uses the shoulder as a lane, and pulls into it when someone comes up behind to pass. The first time I saw this done I thought the guy was drifting off the road and about to crash -- but now I do it, too. It keeps traffic moving.

Texas Hwy 361 runs down the spine of the island I live on. It is 2-lane, flat, and straight as an arrow for 15 miles -- but with wide, paved shoulders.

Everyone uses the shoulder as a lane, and pulls into it when someone comes up behind to pass. The first time I saw this done I thought the guy was drifting off the road and about to crash -- but now I do it, too. It keeps traffic moving.

You're lucky, the island I live on is full of terrorists (Oops! I meant tourists) during the summer all doing 20 miles an hour under the speed limit and there's no shoulder or passing lane.

And it's legal.

§ 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator
may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled
portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done
safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled
lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped
on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing
to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official
traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.

And in some cases required: (CVC reference)

22100. Except as provided in Section 22100.5 or 22101, the driver
of any vehicle intending to turn upon a highway shall do so as
follows:
(a) Right Turns. Both the approach for a right-hand turn and a
right-hand turn shall be made as close as practicable to the
right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except:
(1) Upon a highway having three marked lanes for traffic moving in
one direction that terminates at an intersecting highway
accommodating traffic in both directions, the driver of a vehicle in
the middle lane may turn right into any lane lawfully available to
traffic moving in that direction upon the roadway being entered.

Last Thursday afternoon a client called to ask us to mail her some things. She called about 5 minutes before the mail carrier came in so we asked him to wait a few minutes to get this boxed up so it went out about 3pm on Thursday. This is Christmas season and the post office has closed most of the offices around here. Our local mail now has to go to a sorting facility about 40 miles away. There was no chance of it getting to the client by Friday and very little chance of Saturday. We got an email at 5:30am this Monday morning with this lady ranting that she called a week ago (Actually, 1 business day ago)and the item still wasn't there and she demanded that someone hand deliver it to her TODAY. We didn't even charge her postage.

Last Thursday afternoon a client called to ask us to mail her some things. She called about 5 minutes before the mail carrier came in so we asked him to wait a few minutes to get this boxed up so it went out about 3pm on Thursday. This is Christmas season and the post office has closed most of the offices around here. Our local mail now has to go to a sorting facility about 40 miles away. There was no chance of it getting to the client by Friday and very little chance of Saturday. We got an email at 5:30am this Monday morning with this lady ranting that she called a week ago (Actually, 1 business day ago)and the item still wasn't there and she demanded that someone hand deliver it to her TODAY. We didn't even charge her postage.

I have had customers like that..:mad2::mad2::mad2:

They are now "someone else's customer"..:yesnod::wink2:

Cohen... the head of the Regional Airline Association and his talk of pilot shortages.

Agreed...

These last few years she has turned into a real backstabbing, pretentious,fatheaded, inept politician who has been a few rounds with someone who has hit her repeatedly with an ugly stick.:yes::eek::hairraise:

And that is the problem with our current public healthcare system.

people that incorporate politics into EVERY thread, EVERY conversation even when completely unwarranted.

people that incorporate politics into EVERY thread, EVERY conversation even when completely unwarranted.

Well... We know who you voted for..:rolleyes2::rolleyes:..

The thread question was "People that annoy you".. I didn't even mention "her" name... I just agreed, and added a comment.

Those are the people who pay your salary :) (well, they dont, the s-chip program does).

Not so much. The reimbursement from Medicaid my employer receives for my seeing a kid in the E.D. with a trivial viral infection, not requiring any diagnostic testing, barely pays the nurse's salary, definitely not mine.

We make it up on the actual sick patients, and the ones with commercial insurance. Hence, the $5 Tylenol tablet...

Not so much. The reimbursement from Medicaid my employer receives for my seeing a kid in the E.D. with a trivial viral infection, not requiring any diagnostic testing, barely pays the nurse's salary, definitely not mine.

We make it up on the actual sick patients, and the ones with commercial insurance. Hence, the $5 Tylenol tablet...

Yeah.. But... I just got a premium increase notice from BCBS.. Seems my 10 grand deductible policy is going up to almost 600 a month.... and I have not been in a hospital in 30 years and stay healthy as heck...

The boyfriend of the girl across the street. He stops by every morning to pick her up to drive to school, then sits in the driveway and honks the horn until she comes out of the house.

The boyfriend of the girl across the street. He stops by every morning to pick her up to drive to school, then sits in the driveway and honks the horn until she comes out of the house.

some morning, walk up to his car, gently tap on the driver side window. When he rolls it down to find out what you want, pull of your small air horn and ...

It wouldn't be so bad if he did it once (it would still annoy me, though) - but, come on, man! Give her more than three or four seconds to open the door before you do it again, and again, ...

Yeah.. But... I just got a premium increase notice from BCBS.. Seems my 10 grand deductible policy is going up to almost 600 a month.... and I have not been in a hospital in 30 years and stay healthy as heck...

Like the man said, they make up the loss on Medicaid patients by charging more to those with commerical insurance. The $5 tylenol was an example. They also charge the insurance company more, and hence the insurance company charges you more.

I just saw a blurb in the paper this morning that said starting in 2014 there is going to be a $69/month fee on every insured person to help subsidize all those uninsured people that start signing up for insurance after they get sick. I can't look up details now and am not even sure I got it right. Has anyone else heard of this?

It wouldn't be so bad if he did it once (it would still annoy me, though) - but, come on, man! Give her more than three or four seconds to open the door before you do it again, and again, ...

We once had a neighbor who started taking her two yappy dogs out for playtime at oh-dark-thirty -- every day. No earplugs could attentuate that yippy frequency. This went on for months of sleep deprivation -- which is banned even by the Geneva Convention.

One day I finally snapped, threw on my bathrobe, walked across the street barefoot (in winter, in Iowa) and started screaming. The lady thought she was seeing a madman -- and she was 100% right.

Never had the problem again. :D

Like the man said, they make up the loss on Medicaid patients by charging more to those with commerical insurance. The $5 tylenol was an example. They also charge the insurance company more, and hence the insurance company charges you more.

I just saw a blurb in the paper this morning that said starting in 2014 there is going to be a $69/month fee on every insured person to help subsidize all those uninsured people that start signing up for insurance after they get sick. I can't look up details now and am not even sure I got it right. Has anyone else heard of this?

I think this is what you read:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...-surprise-$63-per-person-fee-for-three-years/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/11/new-health-insurance-fee/1760479/

From what I saw in another source, that's an annual fee - it works out to $5.25/month and phases out after 3 yrs.

Last edited:
We once had a neighbor who started taking her two yappy dogs out for playtime at oh-dark-thirty -- every day. No earplugs could attentuate that yippy frequency. This went on for months of sleep deprivation -- which is banned even by the Geneva Convention.
One day I finally snapped

Eh, that's trivial dribble. Try living in a rathole, um, apartment, sometime. 24 hours a day 7 days a week of babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam loud music. When it's not loud and you can't hear it too much it's low frequency thumping that makes the chinese water torture treatment look like childs play.
Geneva Convention be dammed. It's Justifiable Homicide.

NEVER effing again. EVER.

Better yet, hide in the bushes with your air-horn and mimic his toots.

Eh, that's trivial dribble. Try living in a rathole, um, apartment, sometime. 24 hours a day 7 days a week of babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam babam loud music. When it's not loud and you can't hear it too much it's low frequency thumping that makes the chinese water torture treatment look like childs play.

My daughter's apartment is below two guys she calls "Stampy" (it's a Simpson's reference) and they play Bollywood music all night.

I think this is what you read:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162...-surprise-$63-per-person-fee-for-three-years/

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2012/12/11/new-health-insurance-fee/1760479/

From what I saw in another source, that's an annual fee - it works out to $5.25/month and will phase out after 3 yrs.

That Is it. And you are right. It is an annual fee. It isn't all that much but I am waiting for all the other shoeS to drop. I will probably pay this for my employees but it will still come out of their bonuses.

From what I saw in another source, that's an annual fee - it works out to $5.25/month and phases out after 3 yrs.

So the cost this tax is supposed to offset is going to go away after 3 years ?

The cost is still going to be there, there will be 'common sense adjustments' to the fee......

WTF is it with people who can't use cruise control?

I don't use cruise control - It's not the most efficient method of getting from point A to point B, since it'll pour gas into the engine on the uphills. So, I do the more efficient thing - Constant throttle (pedal) position, which means at the top of a hill I'm slower and the bottom I'm faster. I also don't accelerate like crazy out of stops.

That said, I do pay attention to the traffic around me and I'll get out of the way or burn gas if I have to, to avoid impeding others. Of course, if they start acting annoyed and pull stupid maneuvers around me after I get out of their way, I no longer do anything to stay out of their way...

Speaking of cruise control, I get the idea that tractor-trailers on the interstate are regulated to about 70 mph by company policy or something. When the one doing 70 mph overtakes the one doing 69 mph it takes forever for it to pass and they take up both lanes. Meanwhile the speed limit is actually 75 mph.

I know it's annoying to be stuck behind two trucks when you want to go faster, but the time it takes for one truck to pass another with a 1 mph speed difference does not make a significant difference in your travel time. By my calculations, you'll arrive at your destination a whopping 9 seconds later.

Next time this happens, think about that and relax. :)

I know it's annoying to be stuck behind two trucks when you want to go faster, but the time it takes for one truck to pass another with a 1 mph speed difference does not make a significant difference in your travel time. By my calculations, you'll arrive at your destination a whopping 9 seconds later.

It's not the extra travel time which annoys me, it's disconnecting the cruise control, slowing down, then accelerating again. Too much bother! :D

Then there are the dopes in the left lane of the interstate that, for some reason, are able to catch up to you but then park on your left instead of continuing to pass. That's always fun when you come up on slower traffic in the right lane and have to get out of your cruise controlled world.

It's not the extra travel time which annoys me, it's disconnecting the cruise control, slowing down, then accelerating again. Too much bother! :D

Life is tough! How about setting your cruise control for about 65 and settle down in the right lane. You will rarely have to slow down for anyone.

Life is tough! How about setting your cruise control for about 65 and settle down in the right lane. You will rarely have to slow down for anyone.

Do that here and you stand a good chance of getting rear ended.

Troy...9 seconds...Huh?

I've frequently been behind an "elephant race" for 5 minutes, occasionally for far longer. Many times their governors are set at 65mph. I cruise at 78. That delay is measured in minutes, not seconds.

And, for the record, when this happens I blame the guy on the right...the one being passed...if he'd get off the peg for just 10 seconds and let the other guy pass, then he'd save everyone else a lot of time and blood pressure medication.

Troy...9 seconds...Huh?

I've frequently been behind an "elephant race" for 5 minutes, occasionally for far longer. Many times their governors are set at 65mph. I cruise at 78. That delay is measured in minutes, not seconds.

And, for the record, when this happens I blame the guy on the right...the one being passed...if he'd get off the peg for just 10 seconds and let the other guy pass, then he'd save everyone else a lot of time and blood pressure medication.

Yep, the dude on the right just has to lift his foot for a moment.

That's when you go outside to where the electrical service enters the building, pull their disconnect, and put a throw-away padlock on it with a note...

That's what I do. You'd be amazed at how many times you STILL have to slow down.

Back