Operating with Discrepancies

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
Why do pilots/owners fly with discrepancies until annual inspection time, why don't they get the aircraft repaired as they break.
Early this morning I get a call, Guy wants an annual, he says he has a list of gripes he wants fixed, I tell him NO I'm busy at home and he gets pizzedoff and starts cussing, I just hung up.

He's a good book for ya.....:lol:

41WG%2B0OgDwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part" ...

poor form on the caller's part to get PO'ed.

However, "my normal hourly bill rate is $xx/hr. Urgent work is 1.5x. Emergency work is 2x. Is this an emergency?"

Why do pilots/owners fly with discrepancies until annual inspection time, why don't they get the aircraft repaired as they break.
Early this morning I get a call, Guy wants an annual, he says he has a list of gripes he wants fixed, I tell him NO I'm busy at home and he gets pizzedoff and starts cussing, I just hung up.

You'd find discrepancies anyways. If they're not airworthiness issues, what's the big deal? If you're willing to work with him, it's just work. If I ask a mechanic to do some work for me, I would expect either "ok, here's my rate" or "sorry, i can't accept any more work right now."

My relationship with my mechanic is important. If I fly home and have a squawk I call or text him with a description. He has a key and the logs so in the following day or two he grabs the plane and repairs the problem, then texts me a good to go message. Yesterday I stopped by to say hi. He told me the day before he'd heard me on the radio and I had a stuck mic. I had no idea but I knew where the problem was, in the mic jack. He told me it'll be fixed in a day or two. Good by me.

100 hours or a CAMP are the way to go

Welcome to the 21st century -- everyone thinks they should be able to get whatever they want by 10 am tomorrow.

My relationship with my mechanic is important. If I fly home and have a squawk I call or text him with a description. He has a key and the logs so in the following day or two he grabs the plane and repairs the problem, then texts me a good to go message. Yesterday I stopped by to say hi. He told me the day before he'd heard me on the radio and I had a stuck mic. I had no idea but I knew where the problem was, in the mic jack. He told me it'll be fixed in a day or two. Good by me.
Good customer.. :)

You'd find discrepancies anyways. If they're not airworthiness issues, what's the big deal? If you're willing to work with him, it's just work. If I ask a mechanic to do some work for me, I would expect either "ok, here's my rate" or "sorry, i can't accept any more work right now."

Ever stop to think that repairing these little things take time and parts, which may not be on the shelf? in the mean time your aircraft sets on the shop floor that could be used to do other jobs?

yup....which is why I'm ready to hang up my wrenches and go fly for a while. :D

till.....something breaks again. :lol:

Are you leaving something out?

As a mechanic i'd think you would be grateful that someone called you to perform an annual and fix a list of problems.

Ever stop to think that repairing these little things take time and parts, which may not be on the shelf? in the mean time your aircraft sets on the shop floor that could be used to do other jobs?

If it's taking up space while you are waiting on parts. I know a solution. Inspect it, order the parts, tow it outside. Wait for parts. Tow back inside and install the parts. Bill for your time and for the parts.

As a mechanic i'd think you would be grateful that someone called you to perform an annual and fix a list of problems.

I'm also missing something. Every annual I've had, the mechanics have asked me if I have any "squawks". Sometimes I do. Sometimes they've been there a while, but not important enough to fix until the aircraft is in the shop anyway. I thought this was normal - isn't it?

I'm also missing something. Every annual I've had, the mechanics have asked me if I have any "squawks". Sometimes I do. Sometimes they've been there a while, but not important enough to fix until the aircraft is in the shop anyway. I thought this was normal - isn't it?

Yes it is.

I joke with our A&P that he has the best trade in the world.

You just wait on people to break airplanes. Which we do frequently.

And you get to work on airplanes everyday. Every kids dream...

Geez, I hope my mechanic isn't mad at me, I have two leaking struts. I already purchased the rebuild kits as I wanted to do em a few months back. My mechanic actually said to wait until the annual because the wheel pants and wheels are coming off anyway. I agreed, it's not hard to keep them filled until we rebuild. If I had a mechanic who refused my work I wouldn't get mad at all, I would just never ask for there service again and tell my flying buddies what happened. Nothing for me to get mad at.

Good, fast, and cheap...pick two.

And yes, squawks at annual are typical. Some things really can wait until the annual.

If the issue isn't an airworthiness issue what's the problem? Pretty standard to wait if you have planned mx coming up.

Rental plane is a few hours from a hundred hour and I have a box of parts I want the A&P to swap out during that hundred hour. What is on the plane isn't "broken" and isn't an airworthiness issue but I prefer to stay in front of issues which means replacing things that aren't ideal on a schedule that makes sense. Taking a rental airplane off the rental line for MX is a very expensive thing to do.

Maybe I'm the oddity..... I take mine in all the time. But it helps that my MX is always eager to work too.

Are you mad he wants work done more than the annual checks or mad there is a laundry list of things to fix? I'm confused....

If it breaks,fix it. The less squaks during annual,the faster you get your plane back.

That's exactly how I see the major portion of the pilot owners, And that is why I tell a lot of them >> NO<<

You guys have to remember.... This is Tom posting..... I give it a 99.99999% chance that phone call never happened...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::nonod:

You guys have to remember.... This is Tom posting..... I give it a 99.99999% chance that phone call never happened...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::nonod:

If you want the work I'll give you his number.

If it breaks,fix it. The less squaks during annual,the faster you get your plane back.

There ya go, plus you get to spread the maintenance cost over a period rather than dropping a bundle of cash all at once.

Yes it is.

all because that is what most schools and CFIs flying their aircraft for hire do. Owners see that happening and try to mimic.
Then when and if they get ramped they can't understand why their aircraft gets a notice.

Tom,
I have a few cowl screws that need to be replaced. It isn't urgent. should I fly my plane to the shop and leave it for a day or so then go back to pick it up? Or can it wait till annual. Same with the overhead light. And the cowl flap knob that is stiff to push. Should I make a separate flight for each little squawk when I know an annual is coming up.

I too ask you what you left out of your original rant? Did the pilot demand that you do the work TODAY? Did he have to have it back TOMORROW? Did he think you should work on Sunday night? Why else would you get ****ed at someone that had a list of work for you that he was going to pay for? I'd understand if they were all air-worthiness items, but you didn't say that. What are we missing?

Nothing important. names, addressed, and phone numbers that would no do anyone here any good or add anything to the topic of the thread

I already have more than enough work scheduled, this guy never tried to schedule any thing until his aircraft was out of annual 31 march. I haven't heard any thing from him since last year. Now he wants me to drop every thing going on and do his annual.. nope ain't going to happen, specially when his attitude turns sour.

I don't care who you are married to, I don't care what you call your God, I don't care what color skin you have, or what language you speek, but I do reserve the rite to tell and Azzhole to go away.

If you want the work I'll give you his number.

NO THANKS... I have owned a few certified planes.... NEVER again.... as you have to deal with inept, unqualified FAA certified A&P- IA idiots who cheat, steal and lie.....

Thanks anyway buddy....:)

Tom,
I have a few cowl screws that need to be replaced. It isn't urgent. should I fly my plane to the shop and leave it for a day or so then go back to pick it up? Or can it wait till annual. Same with the overhead light. And the cowl flap knob that is stiff to push. Should I make a separate flight for each little squawk when I know an annual is coming up.

I too ask you what you left out of your original rant? Did the pilot demand that you do the work TODAY? Did he have to have it back TOMORROW? Did he think you should work on Sunday night? Why else would you get ****ed at someone that had a list of work for you that he was going to pay for? I'd understand if they were all air-worthiness items, but you didn't say that. What are we missing?
You should try to find an A&P to work with and fix the stuff your self under their supervision. Getting involved with your aircraft maintenance makes you a better customer and a better pilot.

and yes he thought I'd drop every thing and come running.
I'm pushing 75, I don't feel like doing a lot of annuals any more, I sold my 170, I no longer have a hangar to work in, and I am building a work shop at home where I can do projects, with out chasing all over doing annuals. I'll keep 4 owners that will keep me current as an IA. And I'll probably not charge them for the supervision or annuals.

NO THANKS... I have owned a few certified planes.... NEVER again.... as you have to deal with inept, unqualified FAA certified A&P- IA idiots who cheat, steal and lie.....

Thanks anyway buddy....:)

Maybe you should get your A&P and see if you can do any better. See if you can follow the rules and deal with customers that do not realize why you can't do what they ask.
Then deal with their attitude when they don't get what they want for the price they expected.

Maybe you should get your A&P and see if you can do any better. See if you can follow the rules and deal with customers that do not realize why you can't do what they ask.
Then deal with their attitude when they don't get what they want for the price they expected.

That is EXACTLY why I only deal with experimental people....

Thanks for painting the picture for me sir....:yes:..:thumbsup:

It's like I said before a few days before the annual is due it's Hi buddy! Tom can you do me a favor, after you sign off the annual it's Tom Who.:yes:

Things are a little different for Tom, who's current A&P gig is a retirement "fun" job. Most A&Ps who are wrenching to pay a mortgage aren't going to hang up on anyone bringing them business.

You should try to find an A&P to work with and fix the stuff your self under their supervision. Getting involved with your aircraft maintenance makes you a better customer and a better pilot.

and yes he thought I'd drop every thing and come running.
I'm pushing 75, I don't feel like doing a lot of annuals any more, I sold my 170, I no longer have a hangar to work in, and I am building a work shop at home where I can do projects, with out chasing all over doing annuals. I'll keep 4 owners that will keep me current as an IA. And I'll probably not charge them for the supervision or annuals.
I can see how you don't feel like doing any more annuals. But even though I am a mere youngster at 63, I just don't want to have to turn wrenches on my plane any more. I hate it when I strip a screw and now I need an extractor. Or I drop a screw down in an inaccessible area and I have to figure out how to get it out. Or any one of a million other reasons when I get halfway into a project and I have to run to a parts store to get another part, or to exchange the last part I bought because it was the wrong one. I just don't want to do that any more and I don't think doing that will make me better at anything else, except may being a mechanic, which I don't want to be.

I'm glad you are slowing down to a speed you feel more comfortable with and only doing the things you want to do. But so am I, and turning wrenches and screw drivers isn't one of them. I don't care if you and Ben think I am a lesser human being for that, but I would rather fly the airplane and pay a competent mechanic to work on it, than to work on it myself. After all, I'm not Henning.

Things are a little different for Tom, who's current A&P gig is a retirement "fun" job. Most A&Ps who are wrenching to pay a mortgage aren't going to hang up on anyone bringing them business.

I know several that when you pull an attitude on them they will tell you to get lost.

Every Shop in Puget sound right now it full of work. they won't take your BS attitude.

I know several that when you pull an attitude on them they will tell you to get lost.

Every Shop in Puget sound right now it full of work. they won't take your BS attitude.
I cant' say I blame you for that. I feel the same way about a lot of clients.

Back