OMG a Missed Approach

Still better "news" than the manure throwing contest between him and her that uccupies 99% of network coverage.

Is a missed approach synonymous with a go-around? I've always considered them to be different.

No wonder the pilot made a "bumpy" landing the second time around. Look at that runway!

I didn't see much histrionics in the story. And frankly, I've been flying commercial regularly for 41 years, and have experienced one go around. So it is unusual, and they had video of it, so why not write a story?

Making yourself go around and handling the disappointment/confusion on the missed. Its the psychology of a missed that is usually the challenge....

yup....I had to do one the other day. The Cessna in front of me wouldn't cross the thresh hold line after exiting. :eek:

The nervous controller made me go around....

I would guess that a321 burns more fuel on a missed approach/go-around than most of our little planes do on a 3 hour cross country.

Looks like just good aviating to me. Glad to see an aviation story that isn't a mass crash.

Anyone note how long it took for the gear to come up? Seemed to be long since out of usable runway by the time the gear was retracted.

Ahh the media, nothing like telling a detailed story about something you little to no knowledge about to a bunch of people that also have little to no knowledge of the subject so they can have something to talk about that is mostly incorrect...gotta love it

It even made it to the news in the US... Saw it this morning in the news when I got ready for work. Ran under 'scare in the air'... :rolleyes1::rolleyes2::lol:

Apparently some people (even some newer pilots) don't know that a missed approach is an instrument procedure. This video shows a (normal) go around.

Actually it's a balked landing.

Actually it's a balked landing.

As I understand it, a balked landing is a kind of a go around, but I stand to be corrected.
If there is a significant difference, the Wikipedia article should be updated, since at the moment the former is simply linked to the latter.

Last edited:
As I understand it, a balked landing is a kind of a go around, but I stand to be corrected.
If there is a significant difference, the Wikipedia article should be updated, since at the moment the former is simply linked to the latter.
Not sure if there's an actual definition, but we had to do a balked at our last company during recurrent. They defined it as something like "after crossing the fence and power reduced for landing".
That may vary slightly.

"I have a deadline for the editor for another story at least X number of words long due in an hour... let's find some YouTube crap and slap this out so I can go home. Airplanes and near wrecks always get lots of page clicks, that'll make the boss happy."

Isn't that airport known for severe cross winds at times?

I have always considered it this way. A balked landing results in a go-around but a go-around does not necessarily result from a balked landing. In other words, multiple other things could precipitate a go-around such as a command from the tower, another aircraft, a deer or other animal/object on the runway, etc; or it could result from a really messy landing where the go-around is the best option. It is still a go-around.

Question for you big iron company guys, do the pointy haired bosses get mad when you burn another take-off's worth of fuel on a go-around?

Question for you big iron company guys, do the pointy haired bosses get mad when you burn another take-off's worth of fuel on a go-around?
Who cares! Let them be mad over some spilled fuel. Better than the alternative.

I had to slam on the brakes a few years back to avoid hitting some deer, my boss was angry over the fast spots on the tires. He started in on a fit about the tires until I mentioned the alternative to him. ***** happens.

Not sure if there's an actual definition, but we had to do a balked at our last company during recurrent. They defined it as something like "after crossing the fence and power reduced for landing".
That may vary slightly.

I have always considered it this way. A balked landing results in a go-around but a go-around does not necessarily result from a balked landing. In other words, multiple other things could precipitate a go-around such as a command from the tower, another aircraft, a deer or other animal/object on the runway, etc; or it could result from a really messy landing where the go-around is the best option. It is still a go-around.

Lots of discussion of the term "balked landing" on the internet (e.g. here), but the FAA doesn't include it in the Pilot Controller Glossary. It does mention the term (without defining it) as the title of §23.77, which has to do with required climb performance, and as an apparent synonym to "go around" in this AC.

Not sure if the bean counters get mad, but I'm not concerned - we have a few layers of management between us and them. ;) Bottom line is that we can choose to go around without worry about any grief from the company afterwards.

Not sure if the bean counters get mad, but I'm not concerned - we have a few layers of management between us and them. ;) Bottom line is that we can choose to go around without worry about any grief from the company afterwards.
As it should be.

We do two specific maneuvers in training. The missed approach is the one where you don't see the runway at minimums. The balked landing is where they give you a go-around at perhaps 50 feet. I think I remember an instructor telling me that they had to do it at less than 50 feet. But the end result is the same if you are IFR. You still need to do the published or alternate missed approach procedure.

In a real balked landing in VMC, the tower usually asks if you want to go back to approach or cancel and fly a visual pattern. At least that has been my experience.

I have never been questioned about the cost or even thought about it. But this seems to be something that small airplane pilots often ask.

I was on a SWA 737 that had to go around twice at SMF before landing. Same thing, gusting crosswinds.

At Aspen there is a very high missed approach point. Go missed there and you turn right. At the runway, if you have to go around there, it is a left hand turn. They call that one the "balked landing". Different procedure.

And get paid more to do it...

At Aspen there is a very high missed approach point. Go missed there and you turn right. At the runway, if you have to go around there, it is a left hand turn. They call that one the "balked landing". Different procedure.

Is that part of a 135 op spec somewhere? Looking at the plates, all the MAP's are climbing right turns, with no mention on the plates of balked landings... or is it something that is patently obvious when on short final?

Not at the company I was at. And flying into ATL I've done quite a few over the years. A lot of times there the preceding plane would go alllllllll theeeeeeeee wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to the end of the runway before exiting, especially if it was American Airlines.

A lot of times there the preceding plane would go alllllllll theeeeeeeee wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to the end of the runway before exiting, especially if it was American Airlines.

Hey mscard88 - go **** yourself! :p :p :p

Well it's true! :( And I didn't even mention how slowwwwwwwwwwwwww they taxi....but I understand the reason they were doing that. ;)

Hahaha - I'm just giving you crap. We're actually on the same page with this. :)

Is that part of a 135 op spec somewhere? Looking at the plates, all the MAP's are climbing right turns, with no mention on the plates of balked landings... or is it something that is patently obvious when on short final?

Well, some of the commercial operators have private approaches to Aspen. So they have their own published procedures. Some of those might have published balked landing procedures, I don't really know. But it does come up if you have to go missed from down low at Aspen. You better turn left, not right.

For all the "panic" that is shown on that video, the pax felt..."Huh, we are climbing, I wonder what that was all about?"

Back