My Corona.....not the song. ;-)

I read an article in the ny times that talked about DOTS

DUration - how long are people infectious
Opportunity - how likely is contact to be infectious? Also takes into likelihood of hospitalization.
Transmission - how easy is infection
Susceptibility - how likely are individuals to get the infected

Roughly, multiply the factors together. Greater than 2 is bad. They didn't get deeper into the math on how they quantify these variables. It was NY Times, not pop sci <grin>.

What's up with the toilet paper? I don't get it...

Here’s one answer, from a psychologist quoted by CNBC:

Panic buying has been rife amid the global spread of the new coronavirus, with consumers around the world stockpiling goods like hand sanitizer, canned foods and toilet paper.

Psychologists spoke to CNBC to weigh in on why our brains push us to panic buy — even when authorities are assuring the public there’s no need to.

According to Paul Marsden, a consumer psychologist at the University of the Arts London, the short answer can be found in the psychology of “retail therapy” — where we buy to manage our emotional state.

“It’s about ‘taking back control’ in a world where you feel out of control,” he said. “More generally, panic buying can be understood as playing to our three fundamental psychology needs.”

Those needs were autonomy, or a need for control, relatedness, which Marsden defined as “we shopping” rather than “me shopping,” and competence, which is achieved when making a purchase gives people a sense that they are “smart shoppers

I dunno.

I cancelled a business trip to a giant trade show in Atlanta (Modex) earlier today. My reasoning was 1) out of 30,000 expected attendees, the odds are high that someone has this version of the flu, 2) was reading about vendors not coming and 3) I have elderly relatives that I'd like to not be locked away from for 14 days.

Maybe that's an overreaction. I don't think this is a particularly nasty bug unless you older, but right now we don't have a vaccine for it. This is what regular flu season would be like every year if none of us got flu shots.
Corona is not influenza.

Sure hope I can move home in May. I don’t want to be stuck here. My immigration runs out in June.
Yeah, I was sending one of the employees to Dubai on Friday and had him cancel this morning. Wouldn't surprise me if the middle east also got a ban on travel for a bit, which might strand him over there for undetermined lengths of time. Travel wasn't make-or-break by any means for the business, so easy decision to cancel out of abundance of caution.

March 12 (Reuters) - Carnival Corp's Princess Cruises, the operator of two coronavirus-stricken ships, said on Thursday it would suspend global operations of its 18 cruise ships for two months due to the outbreak.

The cruise line said the suspension was out of abundance of caution.​

I just got an email from IMSA, the 12 Hours of Sebring until November. It sounds like the World Endurance Championship race will not be rescheduled.

I've been likening the virus with Godzilla. Soldiers shoot at Godzilla with their guns, throw their bombs at him, shoot missiles at him and whatever else they can think of. But he keeps stomping Tokyo. He does what he wants when he wants to whom he wants because he's Godzilla. The virus is sorta the same thing. It's going to do whatever it's going to do, and I doubt any of our efforts are going to amount to anything. Just a lot of fuss and bother.

6e45d6a58a065f114426f0904ee0ebb2.jpg

You knew it was coming. LOL.

Figured out why people are hoarding TP... we got this from the last big crisis. LOL.
691453e3fd24c88f699849bcf2ead597.jpg

We'll cross that bridge in a few weeks when it gets down to crunch time to buy plane tickets. Trying not to think about it.

From state.gov, US citizens are not barred from returning to the US from Europe.
25869cdf6b224c5f569e14f07e7c78c9.jpg

I've been likening the virus with Godzilla. Soldiers shoot at Godzilla with their guns, throw their bombs at him, shoot missiles at him and whatever else they can think of. But he keeps stomping Tokyo. He does what he wants when he wants to whom he wants because he's Godzilla. The virus is sorta the same thing. It's going to do whatever it's going to do, and I doubt any of our efforts are going to amount to anything. Just a lot of fuss and bother.
Considering an estimated 80% of those with COVID19 are mildly affected or asymptomatic, I think "tiptoe" would be a more apt verb than "stomp".

Yeah, we're doing a spectacularly bad job at containing this thing. Actually, it isn't contained, cases are increasing at an exponential rate. What we're trying to do right now is slow the spread so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed. I gota bad feeling about this.

Back