My Corona.....not the song. ;-)

Most of the numbers being published seem to be known cases that accompanied positive test results. Based on reports, a HUGE number of people are showing little to no symptoms and may just be feeling a little under the weather. These people are presumptively not seeking treatment and/or being tested for various reasons. Scary thing is, they're spreading it, but I'd put money that the published death rates are overly high. This isn't to say that we shouldn't be protecting ourselves and especially those at risk. With my asthma, I'd probably be screwed.

the fatal numbers will be high....cause the total cases in the denominator won't be accurate.

My wife had a cold last week. Should she have been tested? You'd really have to twist my arm to think she should have.

Does hanging out at the airport count as working remotely?

For me, not so much, maybe for someone else.

Honestly, I'd rather go into the office, I have a better setup there. My daughter's school is closed tomorrow as well, so we'll go get lunch, so there's that.

COVID is not a version of "the flu."

My employer has just cancelled all face to face activities, including classes. We're supposed to do those remotely, whatever that looks like.

Meanwhile the Mayo Clinic and 60,000 staff, let alone all the patients here... are asking about new symptoms in the last 48 and saying “We’ll all just wash our hands more often”.

Not even avoiding patient handshakes. :)

The US government's "official response" thus far reminds me of a saying we used in high school...

...a monkey f***ing a football.

or maybe (to paraphrase) the dumb dog on loonie tunes..."which way do we go, George, which way do we go?"

the cluelessness is breathtaking.

The US government's "official response" thus far reminds me of a saying we used in high school...

or maybe (to paraphrase) the dumb dog on loonie tunes..."which way do we go, George, which way do we go?"

You were expecting the pinnacle of quality and accuracy? :)

You’ve seen IACRA, right? ;)

I'm getting tired of hearing two people infected here, five infected over here, three down the road a piece. It's like you're staked to the ground and a steam roller is coming to mash you flat, but it's still, like, a hundred miles away.

It's out, you're going to get it. I hope it isn't too horrible on any of you. But.

I hate to say it, but I almost think if it moved faster it would be less destructive. If it just rushed through, whooped everybody, took who it was going to take, and was over with, it would be easier. We could just say, "Man, didn't see that coming. Let's get back to it." All those people would still have their money and cabinet space they used up on bulk toilet paper. You'd know your kid was going to school the next day and business as usual.

They closed a nearby school cause a parent tested positive.

I'm getting tired of hearing two people infected here, five infected over here, three down the road a piece. It's like you're staked to the ground and a steam roller is coming to mash you flat, but it's still, like, a hundred miles away.

It's out, you're going to get it. I hope it isn't too horrible on any of you. But.

I hate to say it, but I almost think if it moved faster it would be less destructive. If it just rushed through, whooped everybody, took who it was going to take, and was over with, it would be easier. We could just say, "Man, didn't see that coming. Let's get back to it." All those people would still have their money and cabinet space they used up on bulk toilet paper. You'd know your kid was going to school the next day and business as usual.

They closed a nearby school cause a parent tested positive.

If it moves too fast it can overwhelm the healthcare system and many more people will die than otherwise. Even if the same number of people is infected but it can be spread out more over time, there would be hospital beds with respirators available vs. being sent home.

upload_2020-3-11_9-36-24-png.520402

It's like you're staked to the ground and a steam roller is coming to mash you flat, but it's still, like, a hundred miles away.

Yes, or being in hurricane country, watching the weather reports daily and seeing the monster inch closer...

Yes, or being in hurricane country, watching the weather reports daily and seeing the monster inch closer...
Yup. And some get on TV and say "It ain't gunna be nuthin'. The TV people always say that and nuthin' ever happens. I'm not evacuating!"

And two days later they're being plucked from their roof by the Coonass Navy in a bass boat.
841AE54B-C68E-4691-A731-AB5D1BD54FB2.jpeg

Sometimes the hype is real.

Yup. And some get on TV and say "It ain't gunna be nuthin'. The TV people always say that and nuthin' ever happens. I'm not evacuating!"

And two days later they're being plucked from their roof by the Coonass Navy in a bass boat.
View attachment 83502

Sometimes the hype is real.
True, but there's the Boy Who Cried Wolf factor, perhaps not in this instance, but it's hard to tell.

It is getting serious here where I live.

Not a single roll of toilet paper on any of the stores shelves....

From an ABC News article:

Of the 705 passengers who tested positive for the virus on the Diamond Princess, six died -- which is a death rate of less than 1%. All of the patients who died onboard were more than 70 years old.

“In China, about 12% of cases were in the elderly," said Faust. "On the Diamond Princess, four times that many older people had the disease. So again, if you’re trying to figure out what this means for the entire population, it might even mean that the overall fatality rate would be lower."

Right now, death rate estimates vary per country. The best estimates for South Korea put COVID-19's fatality rate at 0.6%, and a recent study released on the death the rate in China -- but outside hard-hit Wuhan -- hovered just above that, at 0.7%.

Right now, the best experts can say is that COVID-19 is probably more deadly that the seasonal flu, but much less deadly than other high profile outbreaks like Ebola, SARS, and MERS, with death rates of 50%, 10%, and 35%, respectively. The Center for Disease Control is planning to set up a national surveillance reporting system in 8 to 12 weeks, which will help to establish a more reliable mortality rate.

According to the CDC, the current fatality rate planet-wide is 3.59%.
This link updates a few times a day. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

It is getting serious here where I live.

Not a single roll of toilet paper on any of the stores shelves....

Interesting that panic-buying is happening in a state where no case has been reported yet.

I'm not criticizing the good people of New Mexico ... just interested to see how this phenomenon happens.

Do you have suggestions for what could be done?

They are working with the pharmaceutical companies to expedite development of a vaccine.
They are working with the manufacturers of PPE to increase production of masks.
They are working with health insurance companies to ensure coverage for testing.
They are working with the manufacturers of lab tests to expedite availability of test kits.

Short of a Wuhan style lockdown what would you propose be done?

According to the CDC, the current fatality rate planet-wide is 3.59%.
This link updates a few times a day. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

While accurate, it's a simplistic perspective. The fatality rate outside of Wuhan, where most of the deaths have occurred, is much lower. It is also hitting the old very hard and not at all for the very young, which is odd.

The paper found that the fatality rate gradually increases with age. For example, there were no deaths among children aged nine or younger while it stood at 0.2 percent for people aged between 10 and 39. It increased to 3.6 percent in the 60-69 age bracket before rising to 8 percent among those aged 70 to 79 and 14.8 percent among people in their 80s or older.​

Covid-19 China deaths by age group.jpg

Mrs. Steingar is driving to Cape Gerardeau, Missouri for a convention of sock knitters. No, I'm not making this up. Anyhow, she asked me if she should scrub the trip because of the virus. I told her she was far more likely to die in an auto accident on the drive than from any virus.

odds are good that the Sock Knitters of America will cancel the convention... -Skip

Interesting that panic-buying is happening in a state where no case has been reported yet.

I know...that is what cracks me up.!! :lol::lol:

There are folks selling toilet paper on street corners in Albuquerque.

What's up with the toilet paper? I don't get it...

I don't either. But my wife, who is buying into the panic thing, wants me to order 5 times our usual order of toilet paper. I asked her why and she said just because.

Back in the early 70s Johnny Carson was talking about the current ''gas shortage''. Then made a comment that soon there will be a TP shortage. Folks ran out and emptied the shelves because of that remark.

Back in the early 70s Johnny Carson was talking about the current ''gas shortage''. Then made a comment that soon there will be a TP shortage. Folks ran out and emptied the shelves because of that remark.

I remember that. 1974. People were crossing the border into Canada to buy more TP. There was an article in a mental health magazine about how it showed just how many people watched Johnny Carson and how influential he was to "more vulnerable demographics..."

The advertising agencies must have had a wonderful time back then.

Do you have suggestions for what could be done?
For starters...start making statements that align with the available science instead of wild-assed claims that contradict the science.

and I'll leave it right there lest I get banned again.

For starters...start making statements that align with the available science instead of wild-assed claims that contradict the science.

and I'll leave it right there lest I get banned again.
Well, I’ve seen information from reputable scientists that also run the gamut from “don’t worry” to “this has the potential to be very bad.”

This isn’t arithmetic. There is no hard answer. Scientists take the information they have and make predictions based on that. And they vary wildly.

So then it just comes down to people parroting what the scientists say that align with their own personal ideas.

Then we’re right where we started.

Back