My Corona.....not the song. ;-)

As long as the crabs are clean, you're good. ;)

If you're healthy odds are the virus won't cause that severe a disease. If you're old or infirm, you should probably stay home. I suspect the only thing that's going to contain this virus is summer.

My own opinion is that worry is more out of control than the virus. I guess both governments and private institutions can’t take a chance on minimizing anything for fear that they might be blamed later.

Interesting timing with this virus

Discovered right by a chinese institute for virology, happened to take all the attention off the protests in Hong Kong and cleared the streets of most protestors, also took the media attention off that whole Epstein’s kid sex island thing where tons of government and Hollywood types had visited.

Aero Friedrichshafen just got posponed. Will Sun N Fun still go as planned?

If you're healthy odds are the virus won't cause that severe a disease. If you're old or infirm, you should probably stay home. I suspect the only thing that's going to contain this virus is summer.
Define old.

Define old.
That's a tough one. I know 50 somethings I'd be worried about, but I'm not one of them. I think if you're over 60 and in good shape you needn't worry. If have cardiac, pulmonary, or immunological issues you should worry a lot. If you're over 70 you should worry a lot.

That said, I'm no expert on virology, I'm just parsing together what I've read both in the media and in the scientific journals, and what little I know about geriatric immunology. I don't think this is going to be that severe this season. I suspect warm weather will nip it in the bud. But I'll bet this is going to come back with a vengeance next year. That said, I'm hopeful for a good vaccine before then. Otherwise we could wind up loosing a lot of folks.

I’d make a comment but it would get me banneD for life. Otherwise, I agree.Too much ado about not very much. My odds of dying from influenza are still much greater than from Coronavirus. I had the stomach flu last year and thought I could die, but pulled through.

I dunno.

I cancelled a business trip to a giant trade show in Atlanta (Modex) earlier today. My reasoning was 1) out of 30,000 expected attendees, the odds are high that someone has this version of the flu, 2) was reading about vendors not coming and 3) I have elderly relatives that I'd like to not be locked away from for 14 days.

Maybe that's an overreaction. I don't think this is a particularly nasty bug unless you older, but right now we don't have a vaccine for it. This is what regular flu season would be like every year if none of us got flu shots.

The problem with this disease is the extreme variance in terms of severity that people experience coupled with the extreme ease with which it spreads. Some folks just get the sniffles. So they continue to walk around spreading it to others. Others, about 15 to 20 percent, require critical care, meaning ventilator support and all of the attendant staff that goes with it. It doesn't take too much to overwhelm our health care infrastructure to provide that support to the masses of people likely to need it. Once that gets overwhelmed, the fatality rate increases.

That car looks like a Gov’t vehicle, from the 50’s or Cuba. Did it run, make it to the Drive-In, then inspiration point??

I suspect warm weather will nip it in the bud.

It hasn't in Australia - the Australia community spread rate is pretty much the same as everywhere else.

It's popping up in nearby Wake county NC. One of the infected dined at a public restaurant just before testing positive. The restaurant claimed they sanitized and cleaned, said they had the cleanest restaurant around... days after the infected dined there. Another infected traveled to Italy, got sick, and then traveled home. It's going to be everywhere soon, just hoping my family and I are the type of people that don't die or suffer too severely when we get it. And I hope it's all over with by the time we take our cruise this summer.

We're planning a trip to the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Britain airshow at Duxford in September. I hope the virus and the hysteria has passed by then.

I work for a large company that spends millions of dollars annually on commercial airline travel for its employees as the majority of us work from our home offices. Our CEO sent an email on Thursday suspending all airline travel until July. I had to cancel 4 trips I had booked over the next 6 weeks. I cannot imagine the impact this will have on airlines/hotels, etc.

I cannot imagine the impact this will have on airlines/hotels, etc.

Yeah, and movie theaters, theme parks, on and on. Especially frightening for our elderly citizens in nursing homes and assisted care facilities.

I was struck by a news shot from the base of Seattle's Space Needle. Usually a tourist hot spot, but a complete ghost town because of the virus scare. Andromeda Strain, anyone?

That car looks like a Gov’t vehicle, from the 50’s or Cuba. Did it run, make it to the Drive-In, then inspiration point??

Bernie drove one. Say what you will about Cuba, but the literacy program rocks! :D

I work for a large company that spends millions of dollars annually on commercial airline travel for its employees as the majority of us work from our home offices. Our CEO sent an email on Thursday suspending all airline travel until July. I had to cancel 4 trips I had booked over the next 6 weeks. I cannot imagine the impact this will have on airlines/hotels, etc.
Me too... except I didn’t have any travel planned. Any travel now requires executive level approval. You can imagine how much travel that will impact in a company with over a quarter million employees.

my Niece, an ER nurse in Baltimore, is now quarantined. Evidently she worked on someone at the hospital who tested positive yesterday. It's starting to hit home.

Mrs. Steingar is driving to Cape Gerardeau, Missouri for a convention of sock knitters. No, I'm not making this up. Anyhow, she asked me if she should scrub the trip because of the virus. I told her she was far more likely to die in an auto accident on the drive than from any virus.

From an ABC News article:

Of the 705 passengers who tested positive for the virus on the Diamond Princess, six died -- which is a death rate of less than 1%. All of the patients who died onboard were more than 70 years old.

“In China, about 12% of cases were in the elderly," said Faust. "On the Diamond Princess, four times that many older people had the disease. So again, if you’re trying to figure out what this means for the entire population, it might even mean that the overall fatality rate would be lower."

Right now, death rate estimates vary per country. The best estimates for South Korea put COVID-19's fatality rate at 0.6%, and a recent study released on the death the rate in China -- but outside hard-hit Wuhan -- hovered just above that, at 0.7%.

Right now, the best experts can say is that COVID-19 is probably more deadly that the seasonal flu, but much less deadly than other high profile outbreaks like Ebola, SARS, and MERS, with death rates of 50%, 10%, and 35%, respectively. The Center for Disease Control is planning to set up a national surveillance reporting system in 8 to 12 weeks, which will help to establish a more reliable mortality rate.

I've survived some serious health issues over the years and some lung related, yes I am very curious how all this plays out and will affect me.

Am I worried? Not really. That doesn't mean I'll stop taking vitamins, minerals, eating eggs, fatty meats, raw greens, garlic etc anytime soon, or stop getting sun and being outdoors as much as possible either.

Back