Money not being a deciding factor...210 vs Cherokee 6/toga

I’d go with a Six.

As much as it pains me to say this, not the 210.

Toga/Lance/Six if you're actually trying to fill seats. The C210 will be faster if it's just 4 pax and "stuff" that doesn't care about the tiny rearmost seats.

Last edited:
As much as it pains me to say this, not the 210.

Why not? The 210 caries more, cruises and climbs faster than a Six on more gas. Money is not a concern.

The 210 will have better performance (rate of climb, speed). The Saratoga has the more comfortable cabin and is easier to get into and out of.

Don't forget the A36 Bonanza, which has great performance, is a joy to hand-fly, and has similar (to the Saratoga) cabin doors for access to the rear cabin. It's not as roomy as the Piper, but goes faster on less fuel.

- Martin

Reactions: JEB
The 210 will have better performance (rate of climb, speed). The Saratoga has the more comfortable cabin and is easier to get into and out of.

Don't forget the A36 Bonanza, which has great performance, is a joy to hand-fly, and has similar (to the Saratoga) cabin doors for access to the rear cabin. It's not as roomy as the Piper, but goes faster on less fuel.

- Martin
I think this sounds like the right set of options for the original poster. The 210 can be the budget alternative if you really don't need 6 adults and speed is a factor.

If budget isn't a big deal, and you can get what you want into the space, the A36 sure seems like it'd be a nice machine (fast, sleek, but still good UL)

If you have some budget and really need 6 people and bags, the Piper seems to win and they're somewhere in between the other two on pricing.

Why not? The 210 caries more, cruises and climbs faster than a Six on more gas. Money is not a concern.

Gear actuator availability, and for some life-limited saddles while others have a dye penetrant AD, and wing spar AD. If money is not a concern, then I would recommend a 310.

Just like until the ruddervator skin problem is solved, V-tails are also not something I can recommend for certain models.

Not the deciding factor, but is money also no object?

Then 210 + make sure the gear is working + bolt on a TN 550. I read about a guy that did it, made it a 190 KTAS plane.

I wouldn’t hesitate two seconds. The 210 wins hands down. The Cherokee Six is a beast. Can’t see over the nose on final. Poor control response. Not to even go into the widely known AD. About the only thing I like about the Six is the entry/exit and flexible seating arrangement. I’m not big on high wing, nose wheel Cessnas, but I would take a 210 hands down over a Cherokee Six.

Gear actuator availability, and for some life-limited saddles while others have a dye penetrant AD, and wing spar AD. If money is not a concern, then I would recommend a 310.

Just like until the ruddervator skin problem is solved, V-tails are also not something I can recommend for certain models.

not really wanting a twin.

Interior space and load haul gives it to the Six. But I sold my Six for a Bonanza. Lol

If money is not an issue, get an already built RV10. You will haul ***.

If you ignore the kids seats in the back of the A-36, the RV-10 is a comparable aircraft. The RV is probably a little faster on the same fuel. The A-36 can probably carry a little more weight if you need the airplane to be a true 4 seater for adults. Price wise, I'd bet a nice A-36 comes at a significant premium to a nice RV-10

Can you expand on your mission of the plane? Aside from going cross country, do you only need 4 seats plus plenty of luggage space OR do you need the option to have more than 4 seats and would the additional passengers be adults?

is the pressurization systema MX nightmare or is it solid?

The company that I work for used to have 2 of them for hauling our engineers around. From what I've been told, one was relatively trouble free, and the other was the exact opposite. Ironically, the one that was trouble free had over 9000 hours on it when it went away while the other one had way less time and had had a TN 550 put on it...

Last edited:
Can you expand on your mission of the plane? Aside from going cross country, do you only need 4 seats plus plenty of luggage space OR do you need the option to have more than 4 seats and would the additional passengers be adults?

4 people, with luggage.

Luggage wise, probably all in total including personal items 100lbs of luggage.

I keep seeing Bonanza...is it that great of a plane?

I've flown the Six, 210 and my A36.
For sheer volume, the Six wins - but it's like flying an old school bus. It's a lumbering beast. Not fast, but very stable. The fixed gear version is SLOW.
For speed, the 210 and the A36 are very close. Things like engine upgrades and turbo choices will be deciding factors when comparing the Cessna and the Beech for speed. In the end, they are very close.
The A36 will burn less fuel than the 210 and it's MUCH nicer to hand fly. Controls are crisp on the Beech.
Cabin space = as I said above, the Piper wins here overall. The Cessna feels a bit wider up front than the Beech, but the last row of seats on the Cessna is for little people. You can sit an adult in the last row of an A36.
The Cessna has two doors up front, The Beech and the Piper have one door up front.
Both the Beech and more modern versions of the Six have club seating with nice wide barn doors for passenger entry.
If you care about fit and finish, the Beech wins - hands down. The Beech is also built to Utility standards whereas the other two are Normal category.

For me, the A36 is the absolute best choice. My useful load is around 1300 Lbs. If I want to pay for the paper STC, I could increase that to over 1700. If I needed more cargo volume (actual space, not weight), I'd consider a Saratoga.

Join Beechtalk.com - It's free to join. There is a WEALTH of knowledge available. You can easily find an owner who's listed as a Mentor in your area. They will be happy to meet with you and show you their plane. I've done it for people in SoCal. Always happy to go flying with someone who wants to see what an A36 is like.

Back