Mile High Club in actual IFR without autopilot, is it doable?

Dr. Phil

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dr. Phil
I'm going to try to keep this PG rated.

I've already joined the MHC with my wife (Cessna 172--no autopilot in case Henning was wondering:goofy:) on an almost perfect VFR day, and while it was a great thrill for both of us of course---I am now looking to do something similar, but more exciting.

Now I want to re-join, but this time while hand flying in solid IMC.

I am IR and always keep it current (have about 450 hrs total), and even fly practice approaches in actual IFR whenever I can, even when its down to near minimums, so I am not just legally current, but sharp on the gauges.

Doing it VFR was actually MUCH easier than I had though as I was able to keep within 100 ft, and 10 deg except for one deviation where I got 150' off, but corrected quickly but gently………

Is doing the same thing in the soup going to be a lot more challenging (dangerous) without an AP, or will it be similar to on a CAVU day, being that my IFR skills are pretty good (scan, etc)??

What I am planning to do is file to a kind of out of the way intersection (I'm /G) and then ask ATC for a block altitude as well as a chunk of airspace---something like

"Cessna 12345, request block altitude 7000 to 8000 within a 3 nm radius of POTIN intersection"

That way, I won't have to worry about causing a loss of seperation with other A/C if things get a bit "exciting".

What do you guys think??

Is re-joining the MHC in IMC going to be a lot more unforgiving, dangerous and difficult than on a CAVU day??

Please give me your thoughts, especially the more experienced guys.

Thanks so much

I think to make it Penthouse forum quality you need to ditch "with my wife" in your account.

Why not practice first on a dark night with no horizon or city lights?

But yeah, not a great idea IMO.

Yea……I've seen that particular NTSB report floated around a million times, but the fact that that's the only one in the past 30 years makes me think that pilots are doing a very good job at doing it safely.

Think how many accidents on the other hand over that same period caused by ice, t-storms, CFIT, stalls/spins, VFR into IMC, etc

I think it's a terrible idea.

Why not practice first on a dark night with no horizon or city lights?

But yeah, not a great idea IMO.

Care to elaborate? Is doing it in the soup really going to be that much more risky than on a VFR day?

Last edited:
I think we'll need pictures of the wife before we can do a proper risk/benefit analysis.

And I enjoy the choice of the word "doable" in the OP.

Archer-danger-zone-500x272.jpg

I think we'll need pictures of the wife before we can do a proper risk/benefit analysis.

And I enjoy the choice of the word "doable" in the OP.

Well……..she is 5'2 and weighs 117 lbs. I hope that helps:lol:

Just do it somewhere far away from anyone else on the ground and preferably somewhere where you wont be found and when nobody knows you were flying. Maybe go internationally and try it.

We get enough bad press every time there's an in-flight emergency that the news blows up to "SUPER TINY SMALL PLANE FLOWN BY AMATEUR PILOT ERUPTS INTO MOLTEN LAVA AND MELTS 800 DAY CARE KIDS OMG!!!! I HEARD EVEN DRANK A BEER ONCE IN HIS LIFE CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

If you go some where else, if it goes wrong the rest of us wont have to pay for your fetish if it goes wrong, or answer 500 questions every time our non-pilot friends lump us into your category

Is doing the same thing in the soup going to be a lot more challenging (dangerous) without an AP, or will it be similar to on a CAVU day, being that my IFR skills are pretty good (scan, etc)??

For the benefit of someone just starting IR-training, this would be a constant-rate climb and descent scan?

Just do it somewhere far away from anyone else on the ground and preferably somewhere where you wont be found and when nobody knows you were flying. Maybe go internationally and try it.

We get enough bad press every time there's an in-flight emergency that the news blows up to "SUPER TINY SMALL PLANE FLOWN BY AMATEUR PILOT ERUPTS INTO MOLTEN LAVA AND MELTS 800 DAY CARE KIDS OMG!!!! I HEARD EVEN DRANK A BEER ONCE IN HIS LIFE CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?"

If you go some where else, if it goes wrong the rest of us wont have to pay for your fetish if it goes wrong, or answer 500 questions every time our non-pilot friends lump us into your category

Stop worrying, he must file a flight plan to do this in IMC.

(like)

technically 7-8,000 msl should be over a mile (depending on where you are), so that part qualifies whether people get nit-picky about your AGL actually being a mile or not.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

(like)

technically 7-8,000 msl should be over a mile (depending on where you are), so that part qualifies whether people get nit-picky about your AGL actually being a mile or not.

Where I'm based out of, the highest terrain is around 500 MSL, so it certainly qualifies with the sticklers strict definition.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Are you being sincere or sarcastic? Honest question.

For the benefit of someone just starting IR-training, this would be a constant-rate climb and descent scan?

Close enough, but who can ever hand fly while holding an exact altitude anyway, even on a normal flight?

Last edited:
If you succeed in doing this, you will be my new hero. Let us know how it works out.

If you're a boomer, I highly recommend doing it.

Nope! I'm only 37

Sounds like a mutual suicide pact. :yikes:

Nah……

Its just about minimizing the risk. If I really felt invulnerable, I would not have sought advice on this forum.

Surely, this is not any more dangerous than crop-dusting or ferrying a piston single across the cold North Atlantic, is it?

Last edited:
Just do it in class G. Anything goes there. You can even turn off your radio because you don't need ATC. Don't need a flight plan either.

Have fun!

If you want to add "excitement" to your sex life, maybe try to do it in a public place. Worst case you disgust a few people and get arrested. Don't add excitement by endangering us on the ground.

I think you should take a safety pilot along. I'd volunteer but I'm not IR. :sad:

I'll be impressed when you can do it in a twin in IMC one engine inop.

Oh when approach asks what type of approach you want, go for the backcourse.

"Cessna 12345, request block altitude 7000 to 8000 within a 3 nm radius of POTIN intersection"

If you can achieve said maneuver within a 3 nmi radius I'd say you may qualify for the award, but with the RABBIT restriction or prejac limitation.

Should that be POKIN intersection?

Fill up the O2 and use a cannula for the dive and drive approach.

What do you put in the remarks section?

In all seriousness.
Why would anyone try to join the MHC acting as PIC? What if you kick the mixer control full lean During the act or your significant other blows the wrong knob?

I'll be impressed when you can do it in a twin in IMC one engine inop.

Oh when approach asks what type of approach you want, go for the backcourse.

Even though I'm not multi rated, please don't give me ideas:D

In all seriousness.
Why would anyone try to join the MHC acting as PIC?
What if you kick the mixer control full lean During the act or your significant other blows the wrong knob?

Any half competent pilot should be able to safely attain membership in day VFR conditions without an AP. That's not dangerous at all, since by definition you must be at 5280 AGL or higher-----plenty high to react to the scenario you suggest.

Trim, trim, trim.

Last edited:
I don't know, VFR with an A/P and alt./hold is so easy I don't think I'd want to mess up a really good piece and a flight doing it.

Id wait until I get her back in bed and wear it out good.

Unless of coarse, she's up for both! Or I should say, you're up for both! :drool::lol:

Fly the mission first in a simulator. Gotta train for the tough ones.
:D

Back