Mile High Club in actual IFR without autopilot, is it doable?

Reminder to self:

Add these items to a/c checklist:

3a) Sanitary wipes in flight bag
3b) DNA test kit & blacklight
15) Examine and sanitize cockpit surfaces

Crap, you're acting like this hasn't already been tried. In 1898 Gustav Whitehead and his then girlfriend Louise Tuba flew to 8000 feet, entered a cloud, and achieved coitus three times before they ran out of firewood for the steam engine.

Crap, you're acting like this hasn't already been tried. In 1898 Gustav Whitehead and his then girlfriend Louise Tuba flew to 8000 feet, entered a cloud, and achieved coitus three times before they ran out of firewood for the steam engine.

What a great thread! Comedy gold!

After some careful thought, I'd like to do the same exact thing as the OP is suggesting. I'm just gonna need his airplane and his wife, and I'm ready.

To answer the original question......"Mile High Club in actual IFR without autopilot, is it doable?"

Bad idea, regardless of your stick and rudder skills.

To answer the original question......"Mile High Club in actual IFR without autopilot, is it doable?"

Bad idea, regardless of your stick and rudder skills.

I see what you did there.

I hope you have pink pillows and a brown couch bench seat.

Well……..she is 5'2 and weighs 117 lbs. I hope that helps:lol:
it all depends where the 117 pounds is located if most of it is "fore", then go for it ! if most of it is aft, then what's the point ? Purely from a weight and balance issue of course.

Well……..she is 5'2 and weighs 117 lbs. I hope that helps:lol:

It will help.. Ex was 5'2" 105.....

I will admit the MHC was attained several times... Then we moved to Jackson Hole ( 6500 MSL ).. Don't need a plane now... But,,, I still play when I can..;);)

it all depends where the 117 pounds is located if most of it is "fore", then go for it ! if most of it is aft, then what's the point ? Purely from a weight and balance issue of course.
I like a little weight in the aft.... No skinny broads here.
Not that there's anything WRONG with the fore...

Be careful of turbulence from embedded chemtrails. You could get bit.

I'm going to try to keep this PG rated.

I've already joined the MHC with my wife (Cessna 172--no autopilot in case Henning was wondering:goofy:) on an almost perfect VFR day, and while it was a great thrill for both of us of course---I am now looking to do something similar, but more exciting.

Now I want to re-join, but this time while hand flying in solid IMC.

I am IR and always keep it current (have about 450 hrs total), and even fly practice approaches in actual IFR whenever I can, even when its down to near minimums, so I am not just legally current, but sharp on the gauges.

Doing it VFR was actually MUCH easier than I had though as I was able to keep within 100 ft, and 10 deg except for one deviation where I got 150' off, but corrected quickly but gently………

Is doing the same thing in the soup going to be a lot more challenging (dangerous) without an AP, or will it be similar to on a CAVU day, being that my IFR skills are pretty good (scan, etc)??

What I am planning to do is file to a kind of out of the way intersection (I'm /G) and then ask ATC for a block altitude as well as a chunk of airspace---something like

"Cessna 12345, request block altitude 7000 to 8000 within a 3 nm radius of POTIN intersection"

That way, I won't have to worry about causing a loss of seperation with other A/C if things get a bit "exciting".

What do you guys think??

Is re-joining the MHC in IMC going to be a lot more unforgiving, dangerous and difficult than on a CAVU day??

Please give me your thoughts, especially the more experienced guys.

Thanks so much

Dear Phil,
We here at the Darwin Awards Selection Comittee are highly supportive of your planned endeavor.

Just read all the posts. Good s***. There's a new "priceless, for all else there is MasterCard commercial here. 5 pages and still on subject. I've got it narrowed down to two for my vote for best response. Got a visual on the "...blowing the wrong knob" comment. Was seriously ROTFLMFAO. Wife asks what's so funny? Read the whole thread to her. She's still ROTFLHFAO. Thanks Phil.

It's a natural progression. Almost every pilot goes through the same evolution. Not many will admit it publickly, of course, for obvious reasons. Typically, this is the progression: First of all, it's the Solo Mile High Club. Relatively easy to do and a good time to practice your ability to maintain control of the plane through the entire maneuver. Then it's the Mile High Club with another person (multiple variations there same sex, opposite sex, your grandmother, whatever). After a while that gets boring and you ask yourself, what else? The OP suggests MHC in actual IFR no AP. That is a step up, for sure, but really does not need a whole lot more skill that MHC VFR negative AP.

My proposal to the OP is to look into the Holy Grail of MHC encounters, and that is the 3-way MHC. The best bet is to find another pilot also interested in such an encounter and to then find a willing third participant. Again, all variations are possible. MFF (my favorite), MMF (the devil's option), MMM (hell no), FFF (video please). A 3-way MHC session with at least two pilots is probably the safest MHC of all depending on the chosen activities. Also, always remember to keep your headsets on.

I just love this hobby :D

Wouldnt becoming a member of the MHC in IFR with no AP be better if it was in the conga line into Osh Kosh? Now we are talking some puckering action...

I want to join the mile high club in IMC without an autopilot without talking to ATC in Class G airspace drinking a banana daiquiri while flying to Oshkosh - does anyone know if there is a 12v blender out there that uses less than 5 amps so I don't blow the circuit breaker??

I want to join the mile high club in IMC without an autopilot without talking to ATC in Class G airspace drinking a banana daiquiri while flying to Oshkosh - does anyone know if there is a 12v blender out there that uses less than 5 amps so I don't blow the circuit breaker??

I bet Henning has done it.

Ummm

The word "blow" not referencing a sexual act is not authorized in this thread.

Then again, if you want to blow your circuit breaker, who am I to judge?

Jim

(BTW, you "blow" a fuse, you "trip" a circuit breaker.) jw

Last edited:
If you want a REAL thrill, do it on the ground in an FAA FSDO. Then, you would avoid the FAA charging you with "careless or reckless operation" (FAR 91.13) in case something went astray in the air causing you to crash and burn on the ground.

Thanks everyone for the help!

We especially like the suggestion to first try it over water on a moonless night while in VMC, before taking the plunge and going for it in IMC since I'll have a much better idea as to how well I can hold an altitude and heading without being on an IFR flight plan.

Luckily, we live only a 30 min flight from the coast, so finding a moonless VFR night as a "stepping stone" should not be too difficult.

avoid the FAA charging you with "careless or reckless operation" (FAR 91.13) in case something went astray in the air causing you to crash and burn on the ground.

If you did the latter then I don't think you'd have to worry about the former! :goofy:

Wouldnt becoming a member of the MHC in IFR with no AP be better if it was in the conga line into Osh Kosh? Now we are talking some puckering action...

"White Cessna over the gravel pit, can you PLEASE stop wiggling your wings and turn base NOW. Cleared to land on the green dot. Welcome to Oshkosh."

You left out doing the 1G barrel rolls so you can spot the landmarks easier.

You left out doing the 1G barrel rolls so you can spot the landmarks easier.
...shouldn't you pour the drink as it rolls inverted, smiling cooly at the camera the whole time...?

extra points for sure

It's doable, but if I were you I'd pass on attempting it. Your wife wasn't that good.

Back