Medical issue

AvidAviator902

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AvidAviator902
So long story short is that I used to be depressed and I had to take lexapro and I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and depression. It started originally in High school when it was the worst to the point of withdrawing from school but I left after my sophomore year (2018) and did online schooling. I also have had an eating disorder around this time, I was on lexapro for a bit and I haven’t been on it since 2020 and I had a therapist for mostly family stuff but she knows of my other issues. I ended up going to college but I got really homesick and depressed being there and I stayed in college until the school year was over in May of 2022.

I’m now at United Aviate Academy and I’m relatively new in the program and when I got my medical I didn't mention any of those problems in my past and thought it would be best left alone, I know it was beyond stupid and I understand that. But now my ex told me he was going to report me to the FAA and knows of their way to report someone.

He didn’t threaten me to stay with him or anything like that, he just said he was gonna tell the FAA about everything going back to High School including the name of my therapist. He then blocked me and now I need to know what to do. Should I withdraw from UAA and take care of this or am I already screwed and can I just kiss this career goodbye?

I understand the consequences and all of that but after looking at some things it seems like the worst that would happen is I would just be screwed out of flying professionally, which sucks because that’s what I want to do. I know I’m dumb and this is basically all my fault but I need help with what to do here.

The worst case is you can get criminally charged. The most likely worst outcome is that your medical and any pilot certificates you have will be revoked and you can start over retaking all the writtens and checkrides.

The best outcome is that you sit down with a good AME and proceed through the hoops that such a certification actually requires.

The worst case is you can get criminally charged. The most likely worst outcome is that your medical and any pilot certificates you have will be revoked and you can start over retaking all the writtens and checkrides.

The best outcome is that you sit down with a good AME and proceed through the hoops that such a certification actually requires.
I’m assuming one of the likely scenarios since I technically lied and didn’t disclose some of those things are also being kicked out of United Aviate Academy?

Is there anything I could do to my ex for doing this or is there nothing that can be done since there’s nothing he was trying to gain from telling me he was gonna do that.

If he has gone through this how long would it take before the FAA were to notify me about the anonymous tip about the medical stuff.

Like many things in life, there is no real good answer here. The FAA does have a process to correct errors of omission in the medical process.

The FAA also has processes to attempt to certify complex medical histories like yours, but they are not fast, easy, or cheap.

Right now, you have a potential legal issue…that’s what to correct first. I don’t know if a voluntary surrender of the medical certificate would solve for that problem or not, but maybe one of the AMEs that frequents here can answer. Dr Bruce Chien (@bbchien) likely knows the answer.

Your health is just as important as avoiding legal problems with the FAA. Once those things are in order, then may be the right time to see if your history is compatible with flying as a career.

I would be careful about spending a ton of money on flight training right now. You probably are going to want to deal with this first. This will likely take time and money.

Sounds like your ex is doing you a favor, to be honest. It will be a lot less painful now to get your certificates pulled and your flying life put on hold while you figure this out than it would be when you're a revenue pilot ten years down the road and need your medical to pay the mortgage.

Being kicked out of the flight school is a definite possibility. I would probably withdraw, fix this with the FAA, and then reapply and hope they let you back in. And as far as I know, since the ex is simply reporting the truth, you can't go after him for telling the FAA what you should have told them at the very beginning.

I would for sure talk to a medical advocate, and maybe even an aviation attorney. I would want to be ahead of this.

I’m assuming one of the likely scenarios since I technically lied and didn’t disclose some of those things are also being kicked out of United Aviate Academy?

"Kicked out" doesn't really matter. Without your medical certificate you won't be able to fly, so how could you possibly complete an aviation program anyway?

Your problem can likely be resolved and you can probably regain your medical certificate, but it will take time (could be a year or more) and money. It's your call, but if you still want to pursue flying, you'll save money and frustration by withdrawing from the program, doing whatever it takes to get your medical back, and then reapplying.

Is there anything I could do to my ex for doing this....

This sounds vengeful. Not a good attitude to have, as it will add to your depression and anxiety. Please, health first. You really need to get your head together and your life in order before you worry about flying. One thing at a time, and your mental health should be thing one.

Whether the ex reports you or not you're still in a bit of a pickle. This situation will hang over your head like an avalanche that might or might not break loose at any time. The further you get into your training the more you have at risk. You're not going to fool the FAA once they start looking at details.

I don't see any option now other than to bail out now and try to re-enter under fully disclosed circumstances. It's an unfortunate situation, but even had you fully disclosed your history you'd still be facing a complex process.

Is it just me, or do United Aviate Academy's prices seem a bit, er, steep? https://unitedaviate.com/aviate-pro...ted-aviate-academy/admissions-program-details

@AvidAviator902 , I really hope you haven't committed too much money yet, or taken out a large loan.

1702948232045.png

Let's make this simple:

Should I withdraw from UAA and take care of this

Yes.

am I already screwed and can I just kiss this career goodbye?

No.

Many people with anxiety or depression take an approved anti-depressant and have successful careers flying planes. It will just take you some time, effort, and money to get there.

You should seek the advice of a good aviation attorney. If you need some names message me.

New hypothesis: Perhaps it's only true when the forgiver feels wronged by the forgivee in the first place.

Ah, a boundary condition! We’ll need a new experiment. Let me see if I can figure out a way to wrong you somehow so you can forgive me.

Might take a while. Meantime, you can live in anticipation.
:devil:

Whether the ex reports you or not you're still in a bit of a pickle. This situation will hang over your head like an avalanche that might or might not break loose at any time. The further you get into your training the more you have at risk. You're not going to fool the FAA once they start looking at details.

I don't see any option now other than to bail out now and try to re-enter under fully disclosed circumstances. It's an unfortunate situation, but even had you fully disclosed your history you'd still be facing a complex process.
Yeah you’re right, if he did report me how long would it take for them to make me aware of the fact that they know?

$18k just for Private?!
$23.5k for Instrument??!!

Yeah, I don't get how the IA cost more the PP. The $18k for private isn't too crazy for a HCOL area in a G1000 172, if it includes going significantly past the minimum hours requirement (which most will benefit from). I'm not wunderkind pilot by any stretch, but managed to get my IA in 44 hours (Part 61), with about half in the sim.

highly suggest you respond to the good doc. He's trying to give you advice - which you havent paid for. Not saying other questions arent important, but responding how long you have to find after being reported is irrelevant to what hoops you probably need to jump through to get this straightened out.

So long story short is that I used to be depressed and I had to take lexapro and I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and depression. It started originally in High school when it was the worst to the point of withdrawing from school but I left after my sophomore year (2018) and did online schooling. I also have had an eating disorder around this time, I was on lexapro for a bit and I haven’t been on it since 2020 and I had a therapist for mostly family stuff but she knows of my other issues. I ended up going to college but I got really homesick and depressed being there and I stayed in college until the school year was over in May of 2022.

I’m now at United Aviate Academy and I’m relatively new in the program and when I got my medical I didn't mention any of those problems in my past and thought it would be best left alone, I know it was beyond stupid and I understand that. But now my ex told me he was going to report me to the FAA and knows of their way to report someone.

He didn’t threaten me to stay with him or anything like that, he just said he was gonna tell the FAA about everything going back to High School including the name of my therapist. He then blocked me and now I need to know what to do. Should I withdraw from UAA and take care of this or am I already screwed and can I just kiss this career goodbye?

I understand the consequences and all of that but after looking at some things it seems like the worst that would happen is I would just be screwed out of flying professionally, which sucks because that’s what I want to do. I know I’m dumb and this is basically all my fault but I need help with what to do here.

Is this the one, and only episode IN YOUR LIFE?
^^^^^
^^^^^

This is where you need to respond.

Avid,

IF you were treated, in May of 2022, you have described recurrent disease- in HS and again now. The proper way is to apply in the ON SSRI program, get issued, and then your "LIE" is behind you. Yes you will not be able to do "Aviate" THIS YEAR. Small price for "getting it right".

"Screwed out of a career": there is no place on any flight deck for a liar. And eventually, it will out: Anytime you get a complaint, an incident, any sort of investigation at all....and the number of times you've lied and omitted, heaps the evidence in favor of willfully lying, not just "omission". "MORE TO LOSE" as time goes by.

Seriously.

If you did not require treatment in May of 2022, then you need a psychiatrist eval (> 2 years of exposure exceeds the authority of a Primary care doc), and it yet may turn out favorably. Covid clobbered a lot of High school kids...

Last edited:
Back