Man Parks Plane in Driveway

I love the comments and responses.

Andrew Pensko · Works at Szlachta nie pracuje
guy has some big time a-holes for neighbores. Why can't people just mind their own????
Like · Reply · 96 · 15 hrs

Thomas Magee
New York...enough said.
Like · Reply · 69 · 15 hrs

Harry Papers · New Brunswick, New Jersey
Fact: Long Island has the most dense population of dbags in the country
Like · Reply · 66 · 14 hrs

Brent Hickman · Licensed Insurance Agent at Farmers Insurance Group
Harry Papers C'mon, you're not giving San Francisco a fair shake. They've got plenty
Like · Reply · 38 · 13 hrs

This is few minutes from where I live. I will definitely go by there to see this for myself. I am really curious how he got it there from FRG.

It is their business. If you choose to live in a nice neighborhood like that you don't expect your neighbors to park some eyesore that is not a car on their driveway. We like planes but to others this is like someone parking an RV on their driveway. I'd be very upset if my neighbor decided to do that (park an RV). We should not change our opinion just because it is a plane and this is an aviation forum.

Broken down car with rusted fenders is ok?

This is few minutes from where I live. I will definitely go by there to see this for myself. I am really curious how he got it there from FRG.

they pulled the wings.

he should have left the wings off and put it in his garage.

Gosh...I just love the HOA haters here. The solution is simple. I'd you don't like HOAs or restrictive covenants then don't buy a house that's subject to one.

But don't buy a house covered by one and then play the rebel. It only makes you look like the ass that you are.

I've lived in the country with absolutely no controls (as I do now) and I've leved in neighborhoods with HOAs and/or restrictive covenants. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and I've enjoyed all of them for the most part. but as we all know...

Haters gonna hate.

Mutley, that's a very astute post. It's not too much to ask that people to live by their decisions. We have a lot of great options in this country. This guy could of bought a farm and had his own grass strip if he wanted. Instead he chose suburbia and all the positives and negatives that go with it.

That being said, I do find the situation kind of amusing after looking at the photos. I'm not sure what the actual harm is in keeping a plane there.

Last edited:
Mutley, that's a very astute post. It's not too much to ask that people to live by their decisions. We have a lot of great options in this country. This guy could of bought a farm and had his own grass strip if he wanted. Instead he chose suburbia and all the positives and negatives that go with it.

That being said, I do find the situation kind of amusing after looking at the photos. I'm not sure what the actual harm is in keeping a plane there.

How many farms do you think there are on Long Island? :dunno:

There are plenty of farms in the state of New York and I'm pretty sure Long Island isn't Alcatraz. He can move if it's that important to him.

There are plenty of farms in the state of New York and I'm pretty sure Long Island isn't Alcatraz. He can move if it's that important to him.

What an idiotic comment..

If I'm renting your land you can dictate what I do with it. If I own it then keep your nose out of my business. Period, end of discussion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A driveway is meant for cars. It is designed to drive your car from the street to your garage. It is called a DRIVEWAY for that reason. It is not meant as a storage location for miscellaneous pieces of equipment like bath tubs, RV's, planes, steam trains, etc. It is a reasonable expectation of neighbors that you will not store your junk on the driveway.

So long as the driveway is on MY property, I'd prefer to do whatever the hell I want to do on it. If you want to control what happens there, then you can buy that property from me at a price we negotiate, and then you get to decide.

I'd swing by just to see it in person...not that I've never seen a plane before.

So long as the driveway is on MY property, I'd prefer to do whatever the hell I want to do on it. If you want to control what happens there, then you can buy that property from me at a price we negotiate, and then you get to decide.

Um, no, you will do whatever your HOA decides which is what you agreed to when you bought your property. And if you live in an area where they don't care what kind of junk you store in your front yard. Well... Enjoy. I myself choose to live in places with HOA's to protect myself from people who don't seem to understand that some of us don't want to see their junk. ;)

Um, no, you will do whatever your HOA decides which is what you agreed to when you bought your property. And if you live in an area where they don't care what kind of junk you store in your front yard. Well... Enjoy. I myself choose to live in places with HOA's to protect myself from people who don't seem to understand that some of us don't want to see their junk. ;)

Never in my life will I ever cede control of my land to a bunch of nosy busybodies, which is what an HOA is.

You want to tell your neighbours what to do with their land, be my guest, but I'll never be one of them.

Re: Plane Kept In Driveway

I met the guy in the article. He told me a few months ago he was going to do this. People just love to complain.

HOAs were created so people like that didn't have to live near people like me.:D

HOAs were created so people like that didn't have to live near people like me.:D

Yeah, same here.

But some HOA rules go too far. As to limit the number of people that can come visit you and limit the time they can stay.

I was reading one set of HOA rules that limit people on what to wear outside and even how old of a car they could drive, and then explained that a flagrant violator would be removed from their home.

All I ask is that it be enforced equally. Which is rarely the case. I bought a lot in an airpark, with grand ideas of living with my plane. My next door neighbor was the VP of the homeowners assoc. So - he starts to develop his bare property, with a lot of typical TX scrub on it, and next thing I know, there's a 7x20' pile of scrub right over the lot line on my lot. Hmmmm. He gets that moved, and a few months later he's got a 5th wheel on there, while his hanger-home goes up. OK, that's allowed for 6 months, and now it's 9, then 11, then 13 months. Hmmmm.

Guess what happened to both of my complaints to the HOA? Hmmmm.

All I ask is that it be enforced equally... and a few months later he's got a 5th wheel on there, while his hanger-home goes up. OK, that's allowed for 6 months, and now it's 9, then 11, then 13 months. Hmmmm.

Guess what happened to both of my complaints to the HOA? Hmmmm.

As someone who used to be on an HOA, this is exactly how it works. Board members always seemed to exempt their 5th wheels (for a few days). Want to file a complaint? Well, we'll get to it at the next meeting (in a few weeks, after the 5th wheels were moved).

Never in my life will I ever cede control of my land to a bunch of nosy busybodies, which is what an HOA is.

You want to tell your neighbours what to do with their land, be my guest, but I'll never be one of them.

Which is fine.

But the guy in this situation did cede some of his control when he purchased property inside a HOA. At closing, he signed a document in which he committed to following a certain set of rules. He could have bought any number of houses, but chose to buy one in a HOA.

Now he complains about the ramifications of his own decision. It isn't like HOA's magically appear overnight and catch residents by surprise.

As someone said, make your choices and live with them.

Like I said...bunch of nosy busybodies.

Also, this is not the HOA fining him, it's the city.

If it's a muni code, wondering about what looks like a class C coach parked across the street. If the muni code is that specific that it singles out airplanes and not motor coaches, then I guess he's in the wrong. I would be surprised if the wording in the muni code were that tightly written.

Which is fine.

But the guy in this situation did cede some of his control when he purchased property inside a HOA. At closing, he signed a document in which he committed to following a certain set of rules. He could have bought any number of houses, but chose to buy one in a HOA.

Now he complains about the ramifications of his own decision. It isn't like HOA's magically appear overnight and catch residents by surprise.

As someone said, make your choices and live with them.

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that this is an HOA rule. The Town of Hempstead issued the ticket. They don't issue citations for violations of HOA rules. Also, I'm not aware of any HOA developments in Oceanside. It's been around and pretty much fully built up for a long time.

Hempstead is a town on the South Shore of Nassau County, in the Southwestern portion of Long Island. In New York's municipal hierarchy, a town ranks between a village or an unincorporated area (usually called a "hamlet"), and the county. It has roughly the same authority as a city.

In this case, Hempstead happens to be the largest town in New York State. In fact, if it ever decided to become a city, it would be the second-largest city in New York, right behind New York City. So just because it's a "town" doesn't mean we're talking about Mayberry. It's a large municipal body -- and they don't go around enforcing HOA rules.

Mr. Guretzky lives in Oceanside, which is an unincorporated hamlet in Hempstead and therefore has no government of its own. The town, therefore, has direct jurisdiction, and it was the town that issued the ticket. (If Mr. Guretzky lived in an incorporated village, then the stricter of either the village's or the town's codes would apply.)

I rather doubt that Hempstead has any specific code against parking an airplane in one's driveway. It's possible, though: The former Mitchel Air Force Base / Mitchel Field (now Nassau Community College) is located within its borders, so possibly such a code was enacted at some point when some other pilot tried the same thing. But I rather doubt it.

More likely the code enforcement officer creatively interpreted some other obscure code to cover airplanes in driveways because some obnoxious busybody neighbor wouldn't stop whining until something was done about it. Long Islanders do like to complain: My father was once cited because a neighbor didn't like his shrubbery. The ticket was dismissed as baseless, of course. But it's pretty common for code enforcement officers to write up baseless tickets just to shut up some pain in the ass resident who won't stop calling and complaining. So they write the ticket and make it the court's problem instead.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out in court.

Rich

I don't know where people keep getting the idea that this is an HOA rule. The Town of Hempstead issued the ticket.

It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out in court.

Rich

Agreed. Now, how would this play in Sparrow Fart?

What about Upper Sparrow Fart, and West Sparrow Fart?

Is Sparrow Fart anywhere near that house built in the old missile silo in Finger Lakes area, with the runway and other house above? I was gonna buy that place, but I din't want to live near the folks in Sparrow Fart.

:D:D:D

Some neighbors say that the 24-foot-long, 38-foot-wide plane is an eyesore, while others say that it attracts children who may get hurt while playing around on it.

Won't someone think of the children??

After all, they're going to end up hurting themselves climbing up on someone's personal vehicle on private property! I'm so glad the parents are too busy complaining about the aircraft being in a driveway to be monitoring their kids in that neighborhood :rolleyes:

Agreed. Now, how would this play in Sparrow Fart?

What about Upper Sparrow Fart, and West Sparrow Fart?

Is Sparrow Fart anywhere near that house built in the old missile silo in Finger Lakes area, with the runway and other house above? I was gonna buy that place, but I din't want to live near the folks in Sparrow Fart.

:D:D:D

No one would care. In fact, I almost bought an ultralight that a guy up the road was selling a few months ago. It was sitting on his property in front of his house, and I test-flew it from right there. No one cared. The locals even waved.

Sparrow Fart is close to the Middle of Nowhere. Not exactly the middle, but within walking distance. Our full-time population is less than 500 people, and the average age is well over 50. It's a pretty laid-back place.

Rich

I had to move 35 miles away from work and 12 miles away from a small grocery store to escape this type of nonsense. And even then I had to demand the seller remove covenants from the property before I'd sign.

There's no such thing as an HOA/covenant free home near my job. Several of my co-workers live in neighborhoods where they can't have motorcycles. And, they pay a few hundred a month for people to micromanage their grass height and what they store in their garage.

Not to get political but HOAs scare the **** out of me. theres no telling who people who are OK with paying folks to dictate their mail box color might vote for.

Gosh...I just love the HOA haters here. The solution is simple. I'd you don't like HOAs or restrictive covenants then don't buy a house that's subject to one.

98.5% of all new housing in the entire State of Colorado for the last three decades has been encumbered with non-optional restrictive covenants. Specifically covenants against antenna structures.

(A ham radio group has been tracking this. Think parking an airplane is difficult? Try putting up an antenna tower.)

Your argument is that there's options, when there really aren't. Which is a common tactic of Statists. Act like there's options and make the hoops necessary to jump through the option so onerous than nobody can do it.

I bet your area is similar. Show me a NEW neighborhood that allows antenna structures. Most won't even allow a crank up that can be retracted to roof line when not in use.

Apologies if there really are NEW neighborhoods where you live that have no restrictive covenants. I seriously doubt it, though.

City dwellers want the Barbie and Ken house three feet from the neighbor's wall and all painted in approved colors with the lawn cut to approved lengths.

Covenants look great on paper. The problem is, they always end up being enforced by some doofus who has no job and spends their day watching Maury and walking around the neighborhood with a clipboard and a sense of self-importance way above what their actual contribution to society is. The rest of us have lives and jobs to pay for the overpriced stick and drywall boxes.

My tower construction starts next week. My RV is parked in the driveway while I wash it, then it'll be moved out back. Couldn't get me to move back into a conformity pod. I'm sure over the next ten years the conformists will continue their assimilation as they move outward from the center of hell, known as the city.

The tower and the RV parking will be "grandfathered" by then, because you know... only your grandfather wanted to do those sorts of things and use his property as he saw fit. (Ever notice that the term we use to describe allowing things that had once been totally normal, but now are taboo in Conformity Land, includes a reference to our ancestors who had more freedom? Yeah... that.)

I had to move 35 miles away from work and 12 miles away from a small grocery store to escape this type of nonsense. And even then I had to demand the seller remove covenants from the property before I'd sign.

There's no such thing as an HOA/covenant free home near my job. Several of my co-workers live in neighborhoods where they can't have motorcycles. And, they pay a few hundred a month for people to micromanage their grass height and what they store in their garage.

Not to get political but HOAs scare the **** out of me. theres no telling who people who are OK with paying folks to dictate their mail box color might vote for.

Mail box. Brings back another great story about HOAs. I warned my brother not to buy a new house, in a new community with HOAs. but no - he said this would be different, because it was a rural setting, and they have a complaint policy in place. OoooKkkkkaaay.

He bought the first house on the street row. They were required to put up their own mail box, on the provided rail in the defined mail stop place. So - he bought the right box, in the right color, right size, correct flag, etc and put it up on the rail provided. His house number was something like 1156, and he was in the middle of the house row, so he put it in the middle, leaving space for others to put their boxes up in sequence before and after. Well, the houses sell, and they start putting up their boxes from the far right, and the next guy in line after him, number 1158 puts his box up on the wrong side. Same with the next, and the next so now his box is 'out of numerical order'. Mail delivery gets screwed up because the mail guy won't READ the numbers specified on the front of the box. People complain, he's the odd man out here, and it's his fault the mail is screwed up. HOA tells him he has to move his box because it's 'out of numerical order'. He points out, rightly so, that his box was in perfect numerical order until the three people AFTER him put their box on the wrong side of his existing box. Files a counter complaint, etc, back and forth. HOA decides he has to move his box, which means the three other boxes have to move, and he has to pay for them to be moved in addition to his own box. No - he's not allowed to do it himself(even though he was required to put it up himself), but has to pay a US postal authorized outfitter to do the job.

Jeez... He was lucky, and the value of the homes went up pretty quick. He sold after 10 months, and moved out near a farm.

I noticed and AP pointed this out earlier that the summons was for an antenna tower in violation of local codes, not an airplane. You can see an antenna on the back of his house. Since Nate mentioned antennas, I figured I'd make note of AP's observation

I noticed and AP pointed this out earlier that the summons was for an antenna tower in violation of local codes, not an airplane. You can see an antenna on the back of his house. Since Nate mentioned antennas, I figured I'd make note of AP's observation

Sounds pretty normal. Nobody wants to see a structure to hold antennas during that five minutes a week they even look at the neighbor's house from their house's driveway in neighborhood with no front porches anymore.

My dad beat that game by buying a used USAF microwave test van. Parked it in the driveway and ran the pneumatic mast up 40' whenever he felt like it. I thought of it as his middle finger extended to his HOA who wouldn't let him put up much better hidden stuff.

I was considering doing the same thing in the city when I was there.

He had a full length multiband trap dipole for 80m and up hidden in the trees, painted black at one point and many directional antennas for VHF and up hiding in the attic. Won a bunch of contest awards with them, too. Some of the antennas in the April 2010 CQ Magazine article "Hamming in the Shadows" are his, without attribution of course.

NIMBYs are the almost the worst possible people on the planet, I swear. They'd complain if you hung them with a new rope. Conformists are worse. They want everyone to have the same color rope. They'll both tell you at cocktail parties about how they love diversity.

I always thought they maybe just hated the modern world.... they're always trying to hide things like antennas and satellite dishes and things with internal combustion engines.

They're selling these funny bathroom fixtures now that makes it look like your sink is a bowl sitting under an old fashioned hand operated well pump.

Maybe because they spend all day under the glow of a fluorescent lighting filling out documents of questionable importance then drive through a mind boggling gauntlet of traffic that's either moving at frightening speed and proximity or barely moving at all and they want to pretend they're just hobbits or something for the few seconds between getting out of the car and walking into the house. Maybe that's the only outlet and they're trying to fool themselves into thinking they live in the woods.

I mean I live in the woods and it's actually mostly thorns, cockleburs, bugs, etc... but hey whatever... enjoy your plastic hobbit holes.

Why is this news? because he is different, they will get him for any thing they can.

He needs to hit the city with a huge lawsuit for forbidding him his constitutional right to the pursuit of happiness.

I had to move 35 miles away from work and 12 miles away from a small grocery store to escape this type of nonsense.

Oh the tyranny! Fleeing from the oppressive HOA's!!!!

:rolleyes:

Back