Man Parks Plane in Driveway

He has a point with regards to people parking their boats in their driveways. I'd be interested to know if he lives in an area with an HOA or what the city ordinances say about it. If it's not specified in some way, he may be able to get away with it.

Last edited:
I wonder how he got it there. Did he have it towed and if so did he need a permit due to its wingspan and if the permit was issued then.....

I wonder how he got it there. Did he have it towed and if so did he need a permit due to its wingspan and if the permit was issued then.....
I was wondering that too. pulled the wings? replaced them. :dunno:

So...what's the city's beef? Other than "this is different and we have to crucify people who are different", what section of the city code are they concerned with?

Guy makes sense, how is it different from parking a boat in your drive way?

Potentially violates some zoning laws. What is the difference between plane/boat/large RV? :dunno:

I'm no the neighbors' side. This appears to be a nicer neighborhood. There are probably covenents about boats, RVs, signs, etc. also. This guy knew his neighbors would not be pleased.

It shouldn't be anyone else's business what he choses to park in his own driveway unless it's posing some sort of hazard/nuisance to others and I don't see how it could be.

It shouldn't be anyone else's business what he choses to park in his own driveway unless it's posing some sort of hazard/nuisance to others and I don't see how it could be.

It is their business. If you choose to live in a nice neighborhood like that you don't expect your neighbors to park some eyesore that is not a car on their driveway. We like planes but to others this is like someone parking an RV on their driveway. I'd be very upset if my neighbor decided to do that (park an RV). We should not change our opinion just because it is a plane and this is an aviation forum.

It is their business. If you choose to live in a nice neighborhood like that you don't expect your neighbors to park some eyesore that is not a car on their driveway. We like planes but to others this is like someone parking an RV on their driveway. I'd be very upset if my neighbor decided to do that (park an RV). We should not change our opinion just because it is a plane and this is an aviation forum.

I cannot fathom why an RV or a plane or a boat is an eyesore yet a car isn't. I can kinda see if it's some rusting mildew covered wreck that's leaking who knows what into the yard but a clean maintained machine? Why is that even a problem? Seriously why do you even care?

I'm thinking he got it there late at night, probably under its own power. That's how I would have done it.

From pic, it appears there's a motorhome in the driveway directly across the street. Hmmmm.

It really doesn't matter in this case. He's getting divorced so soon the plane will be sold, and he'll be scraping for dog food from empty cans behind the Krogers.

I was wondering that too. pulled the wings? replaced them. :dunno:

Yeah, I thought about that but then why not just leave the wings off and store them in the garage and then cover up the wing root area with plastic and tape? But maybe he thought that would be more of an eyesore?

Unless he lives in a HOA or the city want to twist some obscure ordinance to apply to him...his plane, his property.

Nothing ticks me off more than HOA or government making up laws to restrict what people can do with their property. If there is already something on the books (although I doubt there is no airplane parking in your driveway law ANYWHERE outside an airpark) then he might be SOL.

You want a sterile neighborhood, go move into a HOA governed residence.

I lived in a house with a HOA and they gave me crap for parking my boat in my driveway for ONE night getting ready to leave for vacation the next morning. Never again. I would rather deal with cars on blocks than HOA Nazis.

I must just be from such a different culture than suburbanites that I can't wrap my head around what the actual issue people are having is. Ok, sure property values but that's because people don't like looking at RVs/boats/airplanes.... and why is that?

If I parked my plane in my driveway here... which I could legally do since it's zoned agricultural if I could find some way to land it or get up the road the closest thing to a nuisance would be all the people driving down the road and stopping to check out the airplane.

Heck in this area, an 80 year old rusting hulk of a tractor in the front yard is just considered art.

Unless he lives in a HOA or the city want to twist some obscure ordinance to apply to him...his plane, his property.

Nothing ticks me off more than HOA or government making up laws to restrict what people can do with their property.

You want a sterile neighborhood, go move into a HOA governed residence.

I lived in a house with a HOA and they gave me crap for parking my boat in my driveway for ONE night getting ready to leave for vacation the next morning. Never again. I would rather deal with cars on blocks than HOA Nazis.

It wouldn't necessarily need to be an HOA neighborhood, it could just be restrictive covenants on the property. I'd be willing to bet most newer mid to high end subdivisions have restrictive covenants on the property. I know my land has a list of things you can't do, and parking boats, RV's, unregistered cars, and trucks over 1 ton outside is on the list and my subdivision doesn't have shacks half the size of that guy's neighbors.

I must just be from such a different culture than suburbanites that I can't wrap my head around what the actual issue people are having is. Ok, sure property values but that's because people don't like looking at RVs/boats/airplanes.... and why is that?

If I parked my plane in my driveway here... which I could legally do since it's zoned agricultural if I could find some way to land it or get up the road the closest thing to a nuisance would be all the people driving down the road and stopping to check out the airplane.

Heck in this area, an 80 year old rusting hulk of a tractor in the front yard is just considered art.

A driveway is meant for cars. It is designed to drive your car from the street to your garage. It is called a DRIVEWAY for that reason. It is not meant as a storage location for miscellaneous pieces of equipment like bath tubs, RV's, planes, steam trains, etc. It is a reasonable expectation of neighbors that you will not store your junk on the driveway.

A driveway is meant for cars. It is designed to drive your car from the street to your garage. It is called a DRIVEWAY for that reason. It is not meant as a storage location for miscellaneous pieces of equipment like bath tubs, RV's, planes, steam trains, etc. It is a reasonable expectation of neighbors that you will not store your junk on the driveway.
If it's a driveway, then why do you park on it? :D

Either way, if his neighbors don't like his airplane parked there then boats shouldn't be in driveways either. But again, we don't know if there's an HOA or what the city ordinances allow or disallow.

I'd say it's reasonable expectation to be able to park anything you'd drive on the road in a driveway but let's put a pin in that...

Just tell me what it is about the RV or boat that you don't like? Just.... you don't like seeing them or it's blocking your sun? Cause if I lived in town and my neighbor showed up with a new RV and parked it in his driveway I might come out and say "Hey, man cool RV."....and I don't own or really like RVs that much. I just don't see what about it is causing grief or bother to anyone. Not trying to be a jerk here I just genuinely don't understand what the problem is.

I'm no the neighbors' side. This appears to be a nicer neighborhood. There are probably covenents about boats, RVs, signs, etc. also. This guy knew his neighbors would not be pleased.

Hey! Leave RVs out of this! ;). :lol:

The VAST majority of HOA weenies, I've known who live for times they can abuse a neighbor and feel important, do so because their rarely get to feel powerful, or important any other time, especially in their marriages, and it's like a narcotic to them.

Many times they end up being jealous, petty, and spiteful individuals who take out the disappointments they experience in life and their shortcomings by abusing their neighbors and getting to pretend to be important doing it.

Rarely have I ever met one that I would have gone out of my way to befriend, because our personalities automatically clash. They want to meddle in other people's business to have something to do, and I want them to leave everybody alone.

Last edited:
I'd say it's reasonable expectation to be able to park anything you'd drive on the road in a driveway but let's put a pin in that...

Just tell me what it is about the RV or boat that you don't like? Just.... you don't like seeing them or it's blocking your sun? Cause if I lived in town and my neighbor showed up with a new RV and parked it in his driveway I might come out and say "Hey, man cool RV."....and I don't own or really like RVs that much. I just don't see what about it is causing grief or bother to anyone. Not trying to be a jerk here I just genuinely don't understand what the problem is.
That's what you get in a democratic state where every one must conform to their view of ______, or be sued.

There's just gotta be something else going on here.

The guy has a video surveillance system and PA to keep people from messing with his aircraft. Think about how that can possibly work. He's waking up the neighbors at 3AM yelling at raccoons, and that's the real issue.

So would the city have the same set of twisted knickers if it was a geeky cool Terrafugia parked there instead of a ho-hum C152?

Gosh...I just love the HOA haters here. The solution is simple. I'd you don't like HOAs or restrictive covenants then don't buy a house that's subject to one.

But don't buy a house covered by one and then play the rebel. It only makes you look like the ass that you are.

I've lived in the country with absolutely no controls (as I do now) and I've leved in neighborhoods with HOAs and/or restrictive covenants. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and I've enjoyed all of them for the most part. but as we all know...

Haters gonna hate.

For me it's just plain curiosity coupled with a little good old fashioned city v country tribalism.

I read about this HOA stuff... they don't like to see RVs, they don't like to see boats, they don't like pickup trucks sometimes. My father in law couldn't park his pickup in his driveway because it had his company's name on the side. I'm just bewildered by it.... just can't wrap my head around why these things are a problem for people. If you had an overgrown yard full of rusting decaying junk ok yeah sure I see the issue but a functional maintained recreational vehicle of some sort? Pickups with company names on them? Literally why would you even care if your neighbor had that in his driveway? It's not like it's trashy or anything.

Gosh...I just love the HOA haters here. The solution is simple. I'd you don't like HOAs or restrictive covenants then don't buy a house that's subject to one.

But don't buy a house covered by one and then play the rebel. It only makes you look like the ass that you are.

I've lived in the country with absolutely no controls (as I do now) and I've leved in neighborhoods with HOAs and/or restrictive covenants. Both have their advantages and disadvantages and I've enjoyed all of them for the most part. but as we all know...

Haters gonna hate.

Kinda like buying a house under the pattern... :rolleyes:

I could see the point if ,boats ,rvs and commercial trucks where prohibited from driveways. Like to know what's really going on in this case.

Not too long ago, we used to be a nation of laws. If there were laws (or ordinances, or zoning restrictions, etc) you had to follow them. If there weren't, too bad for those who didn't like what wasn't restricted, or were offended by same.

Ahhh, good times.

Maybe "Pete" will give us the towns info, and we can bombard them with your a dumbass e-mails.

The appearance ticket seems to be citing ' maintaining, construction - installation of short wave radio tower @ rear [unreadable] yard'

Since it's the Town of Hempstead that is fining him, it's not an HOA issue. The question is: What law is he violating? I can't find anything in the Hempstead town codes that would apply.

Last edited:
There are worse things. It could be up on blocks with no wheels and have goats living in it.... And it appears to be tied down properly..... Is the registration current and is it in annual..??

Back