Man Parks Plane in Driveway

Castle Rock was a bedroom community quite a way out of town when I was growing up here. It's a veritable hive of Californians-come-lately after the many years of mass development in Douglas County.

Douglas County is the place where Nick got to go to their pretty and expensive new "Justice Center" for his crazy speeding ticket, for those who recall that thread and are playing along with the home game. You know, the one where Clark and I told him he'd pay more fighting it than paying it, even if it wasn't him.

It's overrun with PC weenies.

Douglas County is also where we saw the nice lady in the Cadillac SUV slam a deer and then the Sheriff's Deputy stand around waiting for Animal Control for over an hour while an animal with at least two broken legs and countless internal injuries enough for it to pass away in pain, screaming in the middle of the road, instead of just shooting it. He'd be fried by the political crap and animal "rights" groups and his own district's policy if he drew his sidearm and put the deer down.

In contrast, bothered by having watched that lovely bit of animal brutality (and him dragging the carcass to the median almost two hours later with no sign of DougCo Animal Control), I talked to two Sheriffs separately in Elbert County, 15 minutes East and where we live. (In real Colorado, frankly...)

Both said the same thing. Shoot it yourself and don't make it suffer, then call it in. If you feel like taking it home and dressing it yourself we have to just get some paperwork, so call it in. If you don't want it, we'll find someone who does.

It is zero surprise Doc had his experience in Castle Rock, from this local.

Might be worth adding that Castle Rock is the only southern Californicated suburb of Denver that has ZERO water rights to ground water and is pumping water from the non-replenishable Arapahoe aquifer at high rates. They'll finish off Arapahoe in about 100 years, or less with continued expansion.

And, the Californication project known as Douglas County, will be complete.

All that was in DougCo when I was a kid were widely scattered horse properties and a few ranches. Nobody even noticed it on the drive from Denver to Colorado Springs. Pilots knew about Castle Rock since CASSE is on top of the mountain there.

I lived in Lone Tree, which has a Littleton Zip Code, so am very familiar with the whole Californication of the Front Range. Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Parker, Castle Rock.........

Not a huge fan of those subdivisions, but if you work in the DTC it is pretty convenient. Still loved it there.

I lived in Lone Tree, which has a Littleton Zip Code, so am very familiar with the whole Californication of the Front Range. Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree, Parker, Castle Rock.........

Not a huge fan of those subdivisions, but if you work in the DTC it is pretty convenient. Still loved it there.

Ah yes. The Denver "Tech" Center. Not a tech company in sight, nor any fiber optics laid anywhere.

Full of insurance companies, investment firms, real estate, a couple of medical back office paper processing companies, the IBM formerly-mainframe facility that used to run most of the airline schedules in the country (lovely barbed wire in an area completely devoid of need of same), and more pricks in BMWs than any area should have ever, on a per capita basis. ;)

Lived "down the block" from it at Arapahoe and I-25 for 12 years. We were just barely outside of its "zone of influence" shall we say. The BMWs and Infiitis thinned out a bit as you escaped from the core. Hahaha.

"Tech" Center, indeed. LOL. Always loved that name. I did have a job in there also, but it wasn't really a tech company, and they were just enjoying the depressed office lease prices during the economic downturn that wiped many of the financial companies off the map and opened up a lot of square footage in a bunch of buildings in there.

The 5 minute drive was nice. But definitely not worth staying. 20 minutes closer to the airplane though. :)

Back