Looking for a starter plane that is respected

Less than $1500/month?

I don't think so.

Was this ever used by the US Airforce? Looks like it was Yugoslavian made? Didn't they also make Yugos?

I will pass.

If you only fly an hour a month it might work.

I know what is cool. I am asking for suggestions on planes I might not know about.

As for the comment about what "class of chicks" I can "afford".... Not very classy. Who said I was trying to impress "chicks"? I don't need to, ok? Sorry I offended you apparently to the point where you need to make that classless comment.

Hey Maverick, turn off the afterburner and settle down a bit, your the one that mentioned chicks.

Dude you'll never get there. Even A380 captains are envious of Space Shuttle pilots. Go for the 150. There are a certain class of chicks that have disdain for men with excessively fancy cars and airplanes. Plus, a 150 will give you more of an opportunity to get your hands in her places that you wouldn't otherwise be able to if you were flying a King Air.

And Space Shuttle pilots like to fly slow, little GA airplanes.

Remember - we all started in the same place learning to fly.

If you want to impress non-aviators, any decent plane with new paint and a comfortable interior will work.:D Most people who don't fly, don't know the difference between a 172 and a Bonanza, they do know the difference between nice new paint and faded, original Avacodo green paint and they would like flying in one with new soft leather vs 40 year old harvest gold cloth. ;) They don't know anything about radios, or engine times, just shiny vs not shiny. To impress high maintenance women, you should forget propellers. :mad2:

The TB9 is a great looking plane. I love the panel too and the interior view.
And with pushrod connected controls it handles very solidly, not sloppy. Access for a low wing also better than Pipers, Mooneys, etc.

Less than $1500/month?

I don't think so.

Was this ever used by the US Airforce? Looks like it was Yugoslavian made? Didn't they also make Yugos?

I will pass.

You could fly it for 1 hour/month.

How do you feel about Czechoslovakia?

L39ZO-Kaney-inflight.jpg

If you want to impress non-aviators, any decent plane with new paint and a comfortable interior will work.:D Most people who don't fly, don't know the difference between a 172 and a Bonanza, they do know the difference between nice new paint and faded, original Avacodo green paint and they would like flying in one with new soft leather vs 40 year old harvest gold cloth. ;) They don't know anything about radios, or engine times, just shiny vs not shiny. To impress high maintenance women, you should forget propellers. :mad2:

High maintenance women and flying/ownership are like matter and anti-matter.

I'm seriously considering getting my own plane. So here's my mission: It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage. But... it has to have some decent presence so that if i fly into Oshkosh with it let's say I would have some fellow pilots looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!'

That rules out wimpy stuff like 150's and the like. Budget is $50k to $100k and $1500 a month for everything else.

Might be able to pick up a used Cavalon gyroplane for under $100k:

http://www.auto-gyro.com/en/Cavalon/Gebrauchtmarkt-Cavalon/

1353256M.jpg

My boss owns a Phenom 100 and a Corvalis TT.

He flys my 150 all the time solo and was upset when I considered selling it.

No plane garners "respect". They are all just planes. I know more professional pilots who would take a cub or a 150 over some "mini airliner".

An L-39 is probably one of the few turbine aircraft I would give up everything to own! And i mean everything.

Hey Maverick, turn off the afterburner and settle down a bit, your the one that mentioned chicks.

I didn't. I only used the word when responding to other posts that had brought it up.

I only want to impress other PILOTS. I don't care what their sex is. Male, female, tranny, whatever.

Wow this got off topic! :eek:

I would get a ton of compliments when flying this plane. Sweet flying and a great looking classic. Most of these have been upgraded to lycoming or continental 360's.

ma6e8y2a.jpg
e3utyne9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please excuse my ignorance. What is this?

That is f'ing awesome!

To the OP. If you think "ohh shiny" is "respect" there's already a problem.

I didn't. I only used the word when responding to other posts that had brought it up.

I only want to impress other PILOTS. I don't care what their sex is. Male, female, tranny, whatever.

Wow this got off topic! :eek:

let's go back to the original question - why do you have the need to impress other pilots with an airplane?

Please excuse my ignorance. What is this?

That is f'ing awesome!

1946 Globe Swift. With an 180hp IO-360 lycoming conversion. A well maintained Swift with an updated engine and panel will run.... 50-65k.

Seriously, I am impressed with anyone that owns anything that flies.
It takes so much time / money / patience to own a plane.

I wouldn't worry so much about impressing trannys.
Just get something that you will have fun with. The trannys will come when they are ready.

Why anyone would care what anyone else thought of their airplane is a bit beyond me. Maybe I'm wired wrong.

Put me in that category as well!

I guess we are at that stage in our lives where we don't care what people think. If someone wanted to find fault in something they would find it no matter what.

Q: How do you know you've impressed a tranny?

A: She's developed a cocky attitude.

But, but... it doesn't have the smiling cowl anymore:confused:.

I'll take the extra 10 knots!

I have seen some of the big engine swift's that do incorporate the original cowl. Most have a new cowl with a lot less drag.

I like the swifts that are completely stock/original. But dropping a 180 or 210 HP motor in a swift that came with 85 or 125 HP originally is only going to make it more fun. The swift carries the extra power very well. And if you're gonna modify it, why not go all the way :)

To the OP. If you think "ohh shiny" is "respect" there's already a problem.

Nope. I said the exact opposite. I said a fancy paint job or "shiny" doesn't do it for me. There is no "problem". I just want a cool plane. Someone else has a problem and it is not me. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why some of you are annoyed or offended by what I am looking for? Everyone is different. If you don't care what you fly in as long as it gets you from you home drome to wherever you're going that is perfectly your right and your choice. This does not mean I am wrong though. Some people don't care what they drive in either. I do. Some people don't care how they are dressed. I do. Some people don't care where they live. I do. So what. That is my right and my choice so get over it.

Most of you get it though. The pictures are great!

Probably anything other than a generic Piper / Cessna will have people coming over to start conversations.

Commanders are cool looking. Not sure about their price or anything about them but they have always caught my eye. The mid-level horiz. stab. is cool looking.

Nope. I said the exact opposite. I said a fancy paint job or "shiny" doesn't do it for me. There is no "problem". I just want a cool plane. Someone else has a problem and it is not me. :rolleyes:

Lets narrow it down a bit:

What do YOU consider cool!?!

Lets narrow it down a bit:

What do YOU consider cool!?!

VERY good question.

If I had a point system for coolness, this is probably how it is right now...

Sleek aerodynamic design that "looks" fast +10
Retractable gear +10
Taildragger +20
Low wing +5
High wing without struts +3
Three blade CS Prop +5
Canopy +10
Tundra tires +15
Radial engine +35 (in my dreams)
V12 water cooled turbocharged piston engine +50 ;) (but let's be real not gonna happen)
Two engines +20
Pusher configuration +20

So on my scale a 150 with tricycle gear scores 0...
Cessna 182 scores 5 if it has a three blade CS prop
But a strutless Cessna 177 scores 13 or even 15. I think they're great.
Dell30rb's swift scores 45

Everyone is different but that is the beginning of my "coolness" formula after just a few minutes thinking about it. I could refine it further.

:lol:

Q: How do you know your husband is a tranny?

A: When he wants to eat, drink and be Mary!

"It's perfectly normal to get an erection during this part of the procedure" The attractive nurse said as she rolled the patient over for the colonoscopy.

"I don't have an erection though" the patient replied.

"But I do!"

VERY good question.

Retractable gear +10
Taildragger +20
Low wing +5
Three blade CS Prop +5
Canopy +10
Tundra tires +15
V12 water cooled turbocharged piston engine +50 ;) (but let's be real not gonna happen)
Two engines +20
Pusher configuration +20

Everyone is different but that is the beginning of my "coolness" formula after just a few minutes thinking about it. I could refine it further.

Combine all of those, and you're really going to have a weird looking airplane.

Put me in that category as well!

I guess we are at that stage in our lives where we don't care what people think. If someone wanted to find fault in something they would find it no matter what.

I don't think I ever had any other "stage". Don't like my airplane? I don't care.

I don't need compliments to justify my life. They're nice as an add on, but often I even find compliments awkward.

It's like you're getting a compliment for writing a check. Weird.

I would much rather hear, "Nice landing!" in crappy conditions than "Nice airplane!" while it sits parked in the grass doing nothing.

But I understand there's folk who prefer form over function. For fun and boredom I Googled "Fashion for men over 40" thinking I should probably update my wardrobe a bit for the upcoming new job.

I had decided that I'm a terrible fashion slob and this was going to be a very expensive wardrobe retrofit after reviewing all "the rules" and comparing to my closet. Well I did until I had enough sense to read one of the articles to the Mrs.

She started laughing hysterically at about rule number 3. I then realized the Internet is as useless at wardrobe advice as it is on airplane buying advice.

Buy what you want to fly/wear. ;)

Retractable gear +10
Taildragger +20
Low wing +5
Three blade CS Prop +5
Two engines +20

DC-3

All two engine retractable gear airplanes make great starter planes comparable to a C-150. Not.

DC-3%20Dakota%20EBMB%202008%20%284%29.jpg

Why anyone would care what anyone else thought of their airplane is a bit beyond me. Maybe I'm wired wrong.

There is one good reason- the OP asked about a 'starter' airplane. Which means that someday they are probably going to want to sell it and move up. Buying an oddball airplane as a 'starter' can make that goal a little problematic.

VERY good question.

Retractable gear +10
Taildragger +20
Low wing +5
Three blade CS Prop +5
Canopy +10
Tundra tires +15
Two engines +20
Pusher configuration +20

Well then, here's your plane.
I think this gets the highest possible numerical score given your system.

Cessna_Skymaster_O-2_5.jpg

Back