Looking for a starter plane that is respected

Hocky

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Hocky
I'm seriously considering getting my own plane. So here's my mission: It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage. But... it has to have some decent presence so that if i fly into Oshkosh with it let's say I would have some fellow pilots looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!'

That rules out wimpy stuff like 150's and the like. Budget is $50k to $100k and $1500 a month for everything else.

P-51. If image is a concern you don't have enough money to play.

Mooney's are great, and RV's.

Thanks Jimmy.

Greg thanks but you are wrong there are some cool planes out there you don't need to only get a warbird. Sheesh.

Plenty of options in that price range in the experimental world. Of course, some folks seem to look at us on the dark side with disdain.

Thanks Jimmy.

Greg thanks but you are wrong there are some cool planes out there you don't need to only get a warbird. Sheesh.

If you buy a really nice C-150 you can get envy from other 150 fans. If you want non class specific aviation envy you need a bigger budget.

Champ, cheif, cub, luscomb, stinson, 140, 170, yak, rv, lance, glass

DA-20? They're really fun to fly, and great for a VFR mission, whether local or the occasional XC.

Thanks Jimmy.

Your budget drops you in around a bonanza/182RG area. For $50k you can get a decent N/P Bo, for $100k you can get into a decent V35. If you have $1500 a month to run it, you should be good.

To get the "heck yea" at that budget, I think you need to go buy a best of type vintage? Fairchild, maybe?

A classy choice would be a 1957 182 in the original paint scheme but with today's paint. They really look sharp, and people love them.

To get the "heck yea" at that budget, I think you need to go buy a best of type vintage? Fairchild, maybe?

That would work. Maybe a Cessna 195 or a stearman. It has to be harder to fly or more impractical then most ga planes to have zing.

Mooney, cub, Yankee, tri-pacer, ercoupe.......lots of cool two seaters in your price range, $1500 a month will keep em hangered and maintained with gas money left over. Stinson?

Sent from my iPad

Mooney, cub, Yankee, tri-pacer, ercoupe.......lots of cool two seaters in your price range, $1500 a month will keep em hangered and maintained with gas money left over. Stinson?

Sent from my iPad

By all means. Yes. I forgot the stinson 108 with the 180 hp conversion! A beautiful , stable smooth flying airplane.

No matter what you get, from a Cub to a G-IV, some people will say ooh, ahhh and some will turn up their noses. Buy what you can afford to fly and have fun flying and to he'll what people think.

Sent from my iPad

What's wrong with a Stinson? one of the best looking classic GA planes, built like a tank, good STOL, true 4 place plane, good support via uni air, cheap and simple mx compared to a 182, Bo, etc.

It's also a plane that any working / high time pilots at Oshkosh would respect.

And for 50-100k you could get a creampuff with floats and wheels and skis.

Also you don't need the conversion, if you must do the Frank 220 conversion, nothing as smooth as a frank and a Stinson just isn't a Stinson without one.

No matter what you get, from a Cub to a G-IV, some people will say ooh, ahhh and some will turn up their noses. Buy what you can afford to fly and have fun flying and to he'll what people think.

This!:yes:

I'm seriously considering getting my own plane. So here's my mission: It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage. But... it has to have some decent presence so that if i fly into Oshkosh with it let's say I would have some fellow pilots looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!'

That rules out wimpy stuff like 150's and the like. Budget is $50k to $100k and $1500 a month for everything else.

Get a Swift.

Why do you care what people say? A lot of comments are made by people or pilots that don't own there own plane. I have had several airplanes,was happy with them all.

What's wrong with a Stinson? one of the best looking classic GA planes, built like a tank, good STOL, true 4 place plane, good support via uni air, cheap and simple mx compared to a 182, Bo, etc.

It's also a plane that any working / high time pilots at Oshkosh would respect.

And for 50-100k you could get a creampuff with floats and wheels and skis.

Also you don't need the conversion, if you must do the Frank 220 conversion, nothing as smooth as a frank and a Stinson just isn't a Stinson without one.
I beg to differ. The lycoming 180 is bullet proof and is an excellent franklin replacement which is a very iffy engine parts wise. The 180 is the opposite , it's easy to fix, plenty of parts and the Stinson nor the onlookers care what powers it. It's a perfect matchup.

A PT19 would fit the bill, and have the cool factor, or a Swift, Or even a Cherokee 140/160/180 with a cool paintjob. An early (fastback straight tail) Cessna also has the cool factor (and less chance of joining the diamod club).

Not sure why anyone needs that level of validation from others, but...

...if Light Sport would float your boat, my Sky Arrow always attracts curious pilots:

12061392244_f42490972f.jpg

Especially when I park it "backwards"! ;)

I beg to differ. The lycoming 180 is bullet proof and is an excellent franklin replacement which is a very iffy engine parts wise. The 180 is the opposite , it's easy to fix, plenty of parts and the Stinson nor the onlookers care what powers it. It's a perfect matchup.

Never had a problem with parts for mine, also the real selling point on the frank is how smooth is runs which helps the 108 flying like a caddy

What about a LongEZ? I just love those. This would be my first to me flying to Oshkosh too.

Wimpy is in the eye of the beholder. You could add nose art to a 150/152 or dress it up with a non-traditional paint scheme for the "yeah, nice!" reaction without spending tens of thousands of extra dollars. E.g.:

1920697.jpg

Check out a Bonanza

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Also a great one, also has a frank under the hood

Depends, I haven't seen one with a Franklin, the ones I see have either an O-300 or one of the IO-360s. Personally I would want the Continental IO-360 KB.

What about a LongEZ? I just love those. This would be my first to me flying to Oshkosh too.
Good efficient aircraft. They like longer runways. Look for a Long EZ rather than a Vari EZ. Understand they have some stability concerns in rain. I believe there was a canard modification which improved this issue. Many of these, or possibly most of these, will have props which do not have metal leading edge protection for flying in rain anyway. There will be a good deal of variation in quality between individual planes. Some will have power nose gear. Most, or possibly all will have a bellyboard which you will need as it is a clean airframe.

This airplane would have many fellow pilots at Oshkosh looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!"

1959-150-Taildragger.jpg

Back