Looking for a starter plane that is respected

What about a LongEZ? I just love those. This would be my first to me flying to Oshkosh too.

Excellent choice! We always get a lot of attention.
But baggage is limited without pods and many women don't care for the tandem seating. A Cozy could work for him and in his price range. If he wants to get in touch with the canard finder google him or pm me.

Why do you care what people say?

I agree! Get one that you respect and admire!

You will go to Osh with an awesome airplane and someone, somewhere will have something ugly to say about it anyway!

Last edited:
I agree! Get one that you respect and admire!

You will go to Osh with an awesome airplane and someone, somewhere will have something ugly to say about it anyway!

:yeahthat:

Why would you spend so much energy trying to impress others? That is an empty endeavor. People will be more attracted to someone who flies in a plane who shows who they really are.

I'm seriously considering getting my own plane. So here's my mission: It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage. But... it has to have some decent presence so that if i fly into Oshkosh with it let's say I would have some fellow pilots looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!'

That rules out wimpy stuff like 150's and the like. Budget is $50k to $100k and $1500 a month for everything else.

Globe swift with 180+ HP

I would get a ton of compliments when flying this plane. Sweet flying and a great looking classic. Most of these have been upgraded to lycoming or continental 360's.

ma6e8y2a.jpg
e3utyne9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to carry two plus some luggage you need a four seat plane. How about an AA5X? Fast, affordable hauler for 2 with a sliding canopy.

If you want to carry two plus some luggage you need a four seat plane. How about an AA5X? Fast, affordable hauler for 2 with a sliding canopy.

I had a passenger and bags for a trip to the bahamas in that swift last month. Was tight, but worked. Can easily fit 2 duffel bags and a backpack or two plus flight stuff.

I would get a ton of compliments when flying this plane. Sweet flying and a great looking classic. Most of these have been upgraded to lycoming or continental 360's.

Ren, few are cool enough to pull off a Swift as a starter plane. :)

As the photos have demonstrated, the ohs-and-ahs are reserved for planes in interesting livery, well laid out panels, flawless maintenance, and best overall in its class.

Many planes can be great values, and they can be oh-and-ah worthy, or not worth a second glance -- or even a cringe and look away. It depends on how well they are maintained and appearance.

Nanchang CJ6 the only plane I regret selling and will get another one in the near future. Smooth radial engine, comfy cockpit with lots of baggage space, 148kt cruise on 13gph, aerobatic, economical to maintain and one of the nicest flying airplanes made. Get a very nice one for $75000 and gets the looks and draws a crowd wherever you land. Don

Attachments

• Nanchang.jpg
    Nanchang.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 58
Why anyone would care what anyone else thought of their airplane is a bit beyond me. Maybe I'm wired wrong.

Why anyone would care what anyone else thought of their airplane is a bit beyond me. Maybe I'm wired wrong.

They are all just jealous because they didn't win their airplanes. My plane may get scoffed at by others, but I don't care.

They are all just jealous because they didn't win their airplanes. My plane may get scoffed at by others, but I don't care.

I didn't care what anyone else thought when I was flying around in my ratty little 150. In fact, I got some major cred at the show as mine was nearly the only one on the field. Folks thought I had real stones to fly one of those to Oshkosh.

Didn't much care 'bout that either.

I didn't care what anyone else thought when I was flying around in my ratty little 150. In fact, I got some major cred at the show as mine was nearly the only one on the field. Folks thought I had real stones to fly one of those to Oshkosh.

Didn't much care 'bout that either.

I won't care when I fly mine in either.

I'm biased but these are in your price range and fit your mission (and then some).
I don't get a whole lot of "Man, that's awesome." but I daily get head scratchers poking their nose in and asking "What on earth is that"

Ours is actually the TB9 but you said you only wanted 1 plane not a pair for that price ;)

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail...iston/1986/Socata/TB-20+Trinidad/1747467.html

TB9 will get you same reaction but it has the performance specs of a 172
cheaper though
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail...+Piston/2001/Socata/TB-9+Tampico/1752069.html

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering getting my own plane. So here's my mission: It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage. But... it has to have some decent presence so that if i fly into Oshkosh with it let's say I would have some fellow pilots looking at it and saying "yeah, nice!'

That rules out wimpy stuff like 150's and the like. Budget is $50k to $100k and $1500 a month for everything else.

Dude you'll never get there. Even A380 captains are envious of Space Shuttle pilots. Go for the 150. There are a certain class of chicks that have disdain for men with excessively fancy cars and airplanes. Plus, a 150 will give you more of an opportunity to get your hands in her places that you wouldn't otherwise be able to if you were flying a King Air.

I'm biased but these are in your price range and fit your mission (and then some).
I don't get a whole lot of "Man, that's awesome." but I daily get head scratchers poking their nose in and asking "What on earth is that"

Ours is actually the TB9 but you said you only wanted 1 plane not a pair for that price ;)

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail...iston/1986/Socata/TB-20+Trinidad/1747467.html

TB9 will get you same reaction but it has the performance specs of a 172
cheaper though
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail...+Piston/2001/Socata/TB-9+Tampico/1752069.html

The TB9 is a great looking plane. I love the panel too and the interior view.

Go to Oshkosh. Everything will be there. Start looking for a Piper Supercub, Cessna 180, Scout, Maule or Aviat Husky. Browse Tradeaplane.com. Start taking taildragger lessons if you haven't. Taildraggers are fun because they are hard to land, bounce around and make you laugh. Way cool vibe. Lots of envy by others. etc.

Wimpy is in the eye of the beholder. You could add nose art to a 150/152 or dress it up with a non-traditional paint scheme for the "yeah, nice!" reaction without spending tens of thousands of extra dollars. E.g.:

1920697.jpg

That looks really good.

But how is that any different to those kids who buy a honda civic then throw stickers all over it and maybe a bad sounding coffee can exhaust and perhaps even a sushi table on the back?

I'm not as easily impressed with just a paint job.

Don't get me wrong I'm not looking down on the 150s, there are just so many of them they look like generic subcompact rental cars to me. Not the kind of mode of transportation you really want to be seen in more like a way to get from point A to point B.

If I'm going to spend the money to get my own plane I want it to be DIFFERENT otherwise if I just get some generic looking trainer then I may as well just keep renting is the way I see it.

This is not meant as any disrespect to others here. Everyone is different. For me image is important. Sorry just being honest.

Go to Oshkosh. Everything will be there. Start looking for a Piper Supercub, Cessna 180, Scout, Maule or Aviat Husky. Browse Tradeaplane.com. Start taking taildragger lessons if you haven't. Taildraggers are fun because they are hard to land, bounce around and make you laugh. Way cool vibe. Lots of envy by others. etc.

YES I agree anything taildragger is cool by definition.

Nanchang CJ6 the only plane I regret selling and will get another one in the near future. Smooth radial engine, comfy cockpit with lots of baggage space, 148kt cruise on 13gph, aerobatic, economical to maintain and one of the nicest flying airplanes made. Get a very nice one for $75000 and gets the looks and draws a crowd wherever you land. Don

VERY impressive but way out of my league.

I will be honest though... If it weren't out of my league it could lead to some anti-climatic conversations.
Other: "Hey that's a cool ride! What is it? WW2? British, American,??"
Me: "It's made in china"
Other: "Oh!... All right then, see you later! "
Other (under their breath): "WTF!"

There are a certain class of chicks that have disdain for men with excessively fancy cars and airplanes.

True... but maybe I like the class of chicks who like fancy cars and airplanes. ;)

This is not meant as any disrespect to others here. Everyone is different. For me image is important. Sorry just being honest.

my limited experience is that pilots are a much different crowd than the teenagers hanging out at the supermarket parking lot. Having a PPL puts you in a relatively small niche of people. You can pretty much go up to any pilot and start a conversation about their plane.

I've got an older mooney that cost the same as a nice car i.e. nothing fancy. Most pilots realize that owning your own plane is a nicety that a lot of people can't afford and don't judge you for it.

That looks really good.

But how is that any different to those kids who buy a honda civic then throw stickers all over it and maybe a bad sounding coffee can exhaust and perhaps even a sushi table on the back?

I'm not as easily impressed with just a paint job.

Don't get me wrong I'm not looking down on the 150s, there are just so many of them they look like generic subcompact rental cars to me. Not the kind of mode of transportation you really want to be seen in more like a way to get from point A to point B.

If I'm going to spend the money to get my own plane I want it to be DIFFERENT otherwise if I just get some generic looking trainer then I may as well just keep renting is the way I see it.

As a practical matter, the next bump in image upgrade is probably going to be beyond your budget. You're still looking at a fairly old four seater, maybe a Debonair or a 182, or something in the 172 class if you want to go newer. A 182 looks the same as a 150 to a non pilot, so I guess it depends on who you are trying to impress.

I question the moxy of any pilot that doesn't ohh and ahhh at the site of any flying machine. They are all remarkable in my view.

VERY impressive but way out of my league.

I will be honest though... If it weren't out of my league it could lead to some anti-climatic conversations.
Other: "Hey that's a cool ride! What is it? WW2? British, American,??"
Me: "It's made in china"
Other: "Oh!... All right then, see you later! "
Other (under their breath): "WTF!"

On the contrary, my partner had 110hrs total time when we bought the CJ. After a 20hr check out he was flying it like a pro and could do very nice loops and rolls. Almost everyone who saw it liked it. We got two of them and had them trucked up to TWF. I did most of the work putting them together and getting them ready to license. Very robust and fine build quality. The engine was one of the nicest radials I have flown and parts are readily available and reasonable. Don

True... but maybe I like the class of chicks who like fancy cars and airplanes. ;)

With your budget in mind and having to ask others for what cool, you can't afford that "class of chicks".:yes:

With your budget in mind and having to ask others for what cool, you can't afford that "class of chicks".:yes:

I know what is cool. I am asking for suggestions on planes I might not know about.

As for the comment about what "class of chicks" I can "afford".... Not very classy. Who said I was trying to impress "chicks"? I don't need to, ok? Sorry I offended you apparently to the point where you need to make that classless comment.

:rofl: Oh ya, I could totally rock that look.

Two problems:

1. Doesn't work in Wisconsin in summer.
2. It's gay (not that there is anything wrong with that but not an image I want to portray).

:D

Why do you care what people say? A lot of comments are made by people or pilots that don't own there own plane. I have had several airplanes,was happy with them all.

+1000

Every time I think about a faster airplane, or a fancier airplane, then I remember.

I am a pilot.

I own an airplane.

How many people on this planet can say that?

Back