Looking for a starter plane that is respected

Hilarious. And I completely agree.

While corporate America has been far better to me than I probably deserve, some of the petty crap that is part of the day to day blows my mind.

Our company just put in a quiet room where people can go in and take naps.

"Man, sitting at this desk, typing has just got me beat. I think I will get my blankie and take a rest."

Amazes me how many people use that room.

You know what I do when the stress of work or having a toddler kicks my butt? I nap in my car at lunch. Or go for a walk at lunch. Or basically suck it up and power through it. How could anyone feel like its ok to nap during work hours? Actually I know what kind, those are the kind that attend every optional meeting we have just to avoid doing work. I call them takers. Sorry for the thread drift.

Drool! Seriously how feasible is something like this for a lowly student pilot such as myself? Assuming I get my PPL over the next month (which is the goal) and I have my fresh certificate in hand.

I bought my canard after about 300 hours and put 650 on it over a few years. My 76 year old buddy got his pilots license at 65 and bought his canard right away. Put over 1000 hours on it in about 7 years!

They are actually much easier to fly than a common plane. Rudders only used during takeoff and landing. No stall, no spin, just point and go. Lets you concentrate on monitoring systems and navigation since things go by so fast.....! :yes:

Most have a simple auto pilot for roll and following GPS courses. Pitch trim is easy to set. Great visibility out the canopy. Snappy handling. All in all a great plane, a lotta fun and definitely gets attention everywhere.

Hilarious. And I completely agree.

While corporate America has been far better to me than I probably deserve, some of the petty crap that is part of the day to day blows my mind.

Our company just put in a quiet room where people can go in and take naps.

"Man, sitting at this desk, typing has just got me beat. I think I will get my blankie and take a rest."

Amazes me how many people use that room.

:rofl:

I'd like to take a nap at work if I've done some heavy drinking during lunch. We don't have a quiet room though. I have learned however how to "zone out" with decreased brain activity with my eyes open staring at my monitor. Is that napping lite?

Hocky,

I will go slightly of topic and ask a question. What is your experience?

The questions asked and reasons given show a lack of aviation experience. When going to Oshkosh NO ONE cares what you fly. If you have a great looking plane and come across as having no knowledge of the plane or aviation it will be obvious. The "yeah,nice" to your face will behind your back turn to "WTF, more money than brains". You can not fake it.

Real aviators will look up to anyone with an airplane if they have the attitude to build their skills and experience and love aviation.

Sounds like a 150, 172 or Cherokee would fit your needs. Better yet would be a 140 or Luscombe. Find a nice one, built your skills and experience, be part of the maintenance. After a few hundred hours you will know what airplane fits your needs and personality. Then sell and move up.

A good foundation takes effort and attitude. Working your way up is my recommendation.

George
-RV8, PA12 Super Cruiser, Champ project
-PPL in Cessna 140 then sold when Rv8 done, looking for a nice late 50's Cessna 180.

The most respected airplane is one that is paid for. :D

Hocky,

I will go slightly of topic and ask a question. What is your experience?

I'm a student pilot. Does this mean I am not allowed to like looking at planes? I cannot have an opinion on what I think is a cool plane? I am not allowed to want to some day own an interesting plane?

The questions asked and reasons given show a lack of aviation experience.

:dunno:

When going to Oshkosh NO ONE cares what you fly.

Well...... no. I have been to Oshkosh and done the whole sitting on my lawnchair with a six pack and a radio watching the arrivals for hours. There is a big difference between some generic tricycle gear 172 coming in versus something interesting.

If you have a great looking plane and come across as having no knowledge of the plane or aviation it will be obvious. The "yeah,nice" to your face will behind your back turn to "WTF, more money than brains". You can not fake it.

Ah. I see. You're the kind of person who when they see someone in a nice plane you feel the need to put them down somehow. Jealousy perhaps? Some deep seated feelings of inferiority perhaps?

Sounds like a 150, 172 or Cherokee would fit your needs. Better yet would be a 140 or Luscombe. Find a nice one, built your skills and experience, be part of the maintenance. After a few hundred hours you will know what airplane fits your needs and personality. Then sell and move up.

Yawn. No thanks. I want to buy my second last plane first. Like I said earlier on there is no point in my opinion to own the type of plane you can rent for far cheaper than owning.

Now please do my a favor: Stop with the amateur psychoanalysis okay? I just want to own a cool looking plane that is all.

What are you currently training in?
What all have you flown so far?

What are you currently training in?
What all have you flown so far?

I'm training in 172's. That's all I've flown so far. I'd like to fly a low wing. I hate not seeing the field turning downwind to base.

Cocky

Interesting. Your posts on "DEATH GRIP" on the yoke tell a lot. You really do not want advise, just easy answers that fit what you want to hear.

You are like a teenager with no life experience who knows it all and buys a Corvette, but should drive the old clunker awhile to learn. Lots of nice machines wrecked up like this. Seen it many times over the years.

Good luck. You are going to need it with your attitude.

George

Its all a trade off. High wings are cooler in the summer (more shade), you can see the ground/scenery better. They are easier to get in/out of. If its raining you can get in/out under the shelter of the wings.

You are like a teenager with no life experience who knows it all and buys a Corvette, but should drive the old clunker awhile to learn.

In his defense he gave us a mission, budget and wants to buy something unique and interesting that's considered a real pilot's airplane. If he was pining away for something shiny, fast and new so he could pick up some chicks I might agree with you.

Hocky, Don't pay any attention to the nay sayers. I had a little over 100hrs when I started to fly a Great Lakes. Then Decathalons a Stearman and I got my SNJ at around 300hrs. At 3000hrs I have maybe 400hrs in normal Cessnas and Pipers. Everything else is aerobatic, warbird, homebuilts or classics. Almost half of my time is in airplanes older than my 63 years. And yes its fun and a huge ego boost to taxi up in something most pilots don't have the balls to fly or will never get an opportunity to fly. So follow the dream it might come true. Don

I'm training in 172's. That's all I've flown so far. I'd like to fly a low wing. I hate not seeing the field turning downwind to base.

I learned in a 172 then switched to low wing.
Just to keep it simple, I close my eyes when making that turn now :)

I have gotten to where I prefer the low wing but I really miss the shade.

My opinion is get something flashy if you want but I wouldn't pull the trigger on a purchase on something super fast right away. Maybe rent for awhile before actually buying a rocket.

I'm closing in on 200 hr mark and I have been fortunate enough to try and fly a couple planes that are much faster than mine and I find myself getting behind the plane.

That's just me though. You may have much faster reflexes, better vision, etc, who knows but just some food for thought.

Any tailwheel will get you respect. For tricycle geared 4 seat GA airplanes I don't see how you can buy respect. You need a big budget to compete with the ohhh go fast crowd but you can cut them off by going classic and/or tailwheel. Or floats. Get a Lake Amphibian, or a Seabee if you want a classic, those two win the ramp against most everything.

The reason this thread is all over the place, is that the OP has not said one word about his mission other than "look cool at Oshkosh."

What kind of flying do you want to do? Hamburger runs? Long distance flying around the country? Straight VFR, or work toward instrument rating? Low and slow? Rocketing with your hair on fire? Just you in the cockpit, or something that can take you and your extended family of traveling gypsies?

If you use "attention getting" as your only criterion, you will likely end up with something you ultimately are unhappy with and sell quickly. The only thing more expensive than buying an airplane is buying more than one.

The reason this thread is all over the place, is that the OP has not said one word about his mission other than "look cool at Oshkosh."

What kind of flying do you want to do? Hamburger runs? Long distance flying around the country? Straight VFR, or work toward instrument rating? Low and slow? Rocketing with your hair on fire? Just you in the cockpit, or something that can take you and your extended family of traveling gypsies?

If you use "attention getting" as your only criterion, you will likely end up with something you ultimately are unhappy with and sell quickly. The only thing more expensive than buying an airplane is buying more than one.

I did. In my very first post I said

It will just be for fun VFR flying for two people and some luggage.

So mission is VFR only, two people with an overnight bag, go 200-300nm in good weather and return. Burn holes in the sky. $100 Hamburger runs.

So mission is VFR only, two people with an overnight bag, go 200-300nm in good weather and return. Burn holes in the sky. $100 Hamburger runs.

Speed requirements?

Get a Comanche, there are fewer and fewer now a days. I always get complemented on mine.

Prozac. Get some people. Guy wants a cool plane, at a decent price to bore holes. Sounds like a fine life plan.

Problem is that there are very few "way cool" "entry level" aircraft out there.
Get a Funk, they have 2 seats, and some cool factor. And tower can then tell you to "Get the Funk off the runway" :)
Just about any polished taildragger has an amount of cool to it.
As been said before a Swift looks cool, but they're not really very "swift". If they were they'd still have the 85hp in them. :stir:
You want respect, you gotta get rare, then you get outta your price range. But this one will garner your respect.

Attachments

• Bamboo_Bomber__c_.jpg
    Bamboo_Bomber__c_.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 34

Ah, got it. Have you looked at a CTSW? Used they are in your range, get attention on the ramp, and will travel 800 miles at 110-120 knots on automotive gas (even with ethanol!). Very comfortable, tons of room, good equipment, sporty handling, plus a BRS for safety.

I like mine, and it does suit your stated mission.

Then get a Cherokee or C-172. In the scheme of things for your mission, very cost effective.

The Cessna 180 is wonderful. A real nice one is above his budget if he said 100,000.00 tops.

Second that, but not necessarily unobtanium for OP... ours was $92K out the door ... but I don't know if you could really call it a starter plane .... :dunno:

If you really want to get masochistic OP, go polished ....

Little kids that don't know **** from shinola about planes point at mine and scream .... then I get to meet their mommy ... ;)

Of coarse, it was begging to have an S-TEC 30 GPSS autopilot, 430W, Alpha AOA, Sportsman STOL, wing tip H.I.D. wig wags, tundra's, BAS shoulder harness, paint, MT prop, and now I wouldn't take less than $125K for it .... if you could buy it in an estate fire sale, cuz that's the only way it's changing owners .... :yes:

Second that, but not necessarily unobtanium for OP... ours was $92K out the door ... but I don't know if you could really call it a starter plane .... :dunno:

Little kids that don't know **** from shinola about planes point at mine and scream .... then I get to meet their mommy ... ;)

Of coarse, it was begging to have an S-TEC 30 GPSS autopilot, 430W, Alpha AOA, Sportsman STOL, wing tip H.I.D. wig wags, tundra's, BAS shoulder harness, paint, MT prop, and now I wouldn't take less than $125K for it .... if you could buy it in an estate fire sale, cuz that's the only way it's changing owners .... :yes:

My buddy tells his daughter that she can drive his pristine classic Vette during his funeral procession. I'm sure she will.

That's gorgeous

My grandfather had a DGA-15P. It was the first plane I remember flying in. Ever since it's been my dream plane. One day I'll have my own!

It looked identical to the red one in this photo.

IMG_6916.jpg

:rockon:

That is absolutely stunning! I definitely want a taildragger. So the question is low wing or high wing? What I like about the high wing taildragger with the right wheels is that there are more places I could go presumably if I ever want to fly into dirt strips. On the other hand getting a fast sleek looking low wing taildragger is very tempting too.

As been said before a Swift looks cool, but they're not really very "swift". If they were they'd still have the 85hp in them. :stir:

145kts on 180hp isn't bad for a heavy, 68 year old plane! Thing is built like a tank.

The fun thing about swifts is they have so many STC's, they're all very different. The one in that picture (may it rest in peace) was very thoughtfully modified with sticks, slots deleted, different cowl and fairings, aux main and tip tanks... Not to mention they handle great! Very light and balanced controls.

Ours still had room for more speed. There are more fairings available, some flush riveting can be done, a plenum can be added to the cowl that reduces drag... the sliding bubble canopy reduces drag also. Not to mention you can get an STC'd retractable tailwheel.

Last edited:
I think I'd get a Pacer. Can be had under $30k in decent shape. Put some mongo 8.50 tires on it, and some VGs. Not super exotic, and can still get parts. Takes autogas and won't drain the wallet.

You want pizzazz? I'll give you pizzazz! :hairraise:

Roll up in one of these and see if you get some respect!

If you really wanna be legit, here you go. Surviving airplane of two built, and there will never be another one. It's even for sale. ;)

2n71chd.jpg

I'm not really into Biplanes but that is an awesome looking plane!

I've got the real old skool pimp suit on order. I think I'll get treated a lot better at Landmark (like a Lear pilot, maybe) when I roll up in my ratty rental 172. :D

I take back my previous attire recommendation. This looks better...
220px-Anthony_Fokker_1912.jpg

Back