Likelihood of having to re-do Neuropsych if letting 3rd class SI expire?

Skybound-mg

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Skybound-mg
All,

I just posted about my process getting a 3rd class SI recently -- to recap:

After a long, arduous, nearly 2 year process I was finally issued a 3rd class medical SI ... that expires in 40 days. In order to get this medical I had to do the following:

• Full battery Neuropsych Exam: $3500

• Visit with HIMS Addiction Psychiatrist: $1250

• Randomized drug screens: Total $1000 ish

• Visits to AME: ~$1000 ish
I'm likely going to have to keep seeing the AME and the HIMS psychiatrist, and keep up the drug screens for a period of up to 5 years to keep the 3rd class SI active. Needs to be renewed every 6 months. That's going to be costly.

I'm going on BasicMed.

However, if I eventually want to get a commercial / get my CFI -- I'm going to have to re-apply. Does anyone known the likelihood of having to do ALL of that over again if I let the 3rd class lapse? Likelihood of having to do the full battery neuropsych exam again?

It might be a "spend it now" or "spend it later" type of situation, but I'm just curious if anyone has any insight.

Thanks.

'However, if I eventually want to get a commercial / get my CFI -- I'm going to have to re-apply. Does anyone known the likelihood of having to do ALL of that over again if I let the 3rd class lapse? Likelihood of having to do the full battery neuropsych exam again?'

the time away from a certificate would be a factor. I suspect you would be subject to repeat some ... if not all.

I went to Basic Med to avoid a $5,000 yearly MRI to renew my SI, but since it wasn't medically necessary according to Medicare/other insurance it was out of pocket, and I let the SI expire on the assumption that all I had to do to resume a class 2 medical would be to provide a recent brain MRI. According to my AME, they no longer allow that and he tells me I'd have to start all over, which includes not just an MRI but a PET scan and other stuff. So, I'm pretty much hooked on Basic Med, which at age 75 suits me fine. I just hoping Canada accepts Basic Med in the near future . . .

And interestingly enough, based on what I was told and some research today, I may be able to obtain a commercial and CFI rating, and instruct -- but just not use the commercial rating for commercial purposes. I'm going to have to look more into that. If that's the case, I don't see a need to go back off BasicMed -- ESPECIALLY if Canada picks it up.

You don’t need a Second Class (commercial) medical to get a commercial rating—you just can’t fly for hire without it.
You can take any practical test and instruct with Basic Med.

Review § 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration. (3) for details.

And interestingly enough, based on what I was told and some research today, I may be able to obtain a commercial and CFI rating, and instruct -- but just not use the commercial rating for commercial purposes. I'm going to have to look more into that. If that's the case, I don't see a need to go back off BasicMed -- ESPECIALLY if Canada picks it up.
Except that commercial and CFI are certificates, not ratings, what you found in your research is correct.

You can take any practical test and instruct with Basic Med.

Review § 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration. (3) for details.

Exactly my route. I'm on Basic Med because it lasts twice as long at my age, is half as expensive, and is so much easier to get. I can't figure a reason why I wouldn't. I'm working on my commercial now, and in a few years will get my CFI for retirement fun. All on Basic Med.

While we're extolling the benefits of Basic Med, don't forget another one. You can visit a doctor and not worry much about creating problems on your next AME visit.

If for any reason you want back in and the SI auth has expired, it’s “start over”…

If for any reason you want back in and the SI auth has expired, it’s “start over”…

is this for all SI or just HIMS related SI ? I asked awhile ago about say an SI for T2 diabetes (only requirement being <9.0 on the a1c) which expired a few years back. Is this also a "start over" if I want back in, or is this just renew it if Im within the parameters of the initial SI ?

is this for all SI or just HIMS related SI ? I asked awhile ago about say an SI for T2 diabetes (only requirement being <9.0 on the a1c) which expired a few years back. Is this also a "start over" if I want back in, or is this just renew it if Im within the parameters of the initial SI ?

I don't know for sure, but my AME told me that my SI for malignant melanoma would be a start over - nothing remotely HIMS related, and medically ridiculous to boot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back