Lets talk Pipers

My point is that more people should check out Mooneys... fast and efficient, really well built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought the Piper 235 has a 50 gallon fuel tank?
84 gallons in the PA-28-235 -- same wings and tanks as the Cherokee Six. Two main tanks of 25 gallons each (same as in all the other Hershey-bar-wing Cherokees) plus a 17 gallon auxiliary tank on each wingtip.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 26
Na....that's not so. Those rear two seats in the Six are huge. Now, if you're talking about an A36 Beech....that's true. Those rear seats are tight and limited by CG/weight.

Word. The rear seats in the Six/Lance/Saratoga are the most comfortable seats in the plane(even better if it has Club seating). We did a round-Europe trip with 5 adults no problems in a Saratoga. No-one complained.

My point is that more people should check out Mooneys... fast and efficient, really well built.

I wish Mooneys weren't made for small people. Plenty of space lengthwise but it's just way too narrow for two at shoulders.

I wish Mooneys weren't made for small people. Plenty of space lengthwise but it's just way too narrow for two at shoulders.

No. Al Mooney was 6'5

PA28 42 inches wide
Bonanza 42 inches wide
M20 43.5 inches wide.

You just sit low...

No. Al Mooney was 6'5

PA28 42 inches wide
Bonanza 42 inches wide
M20 43.5 inches wide.

You just sit low...

Length is not the issue, width is. I think its the arc around the windscreen that makes it cramped. I'm much more comfortable in a 28 than in a M20. Never been in a Bo...
Only been in a M20 once though for a very short time. Need to find one and give it a go. It would have perfect specs for my future mission...

The width of a M20 is 1.5 inches wider than a PA28. You do have to lower your seat a bit though it takes getting used to. Bo is the opposite feels narrow but you're sitting up tall.

The width of a M20 is 1.5 inches wider than a PA28. You do have to lower your seat a bit though it takes getting used to. Bo is the opposite feels narrow but you're sitting up tall.

That's good to know. I need to befriend a Mooney owner locally to sit in one again and reassess the first impression.

Go fly! And make sure you have your seat adjusted. It's def more of a sports car seating. Also note the newer ones sit about 5deg nose up on the ramp so they feel different in cruise.

That's measured at elbow level. At eye level they're probably identical because of the Mooney's more rounded upper cross-section. And in the pre-'J' models the nearly-vertical windshield is much closer to the pilot's face.

Except for the many Vintage Mooneys that have installed the newer, more aerodynamic windshield. Like mine.

Lance F was very kind to let me sit in his beautiful M20J today, and I got to say, I would not have any problems fitting in. It _feels_ more cramped initially, but it really isn't. There is plenty of space between the seats. I think the initial feeling of "crampedness" is because the seat is pretty close to the sidewall, and the armrest makes it feel cozy.
Definitely on my list when I upgrade my plane.

Word. The rear seats in the Six/Lance/Saratoga are the most comfortable seats in the plane(even better if it has Club seating). We did a round-Europe trip with 5 adults no problems in a Saratoga. No-one complained.
....even better if it has "standard" seating. weaving legs ain't fun ....:D

I love Mooney the first time I got into an Ovation 2. I have never flown one, I got into one at Sun and Fun. It's really comfortable inside the even if you are 6'2 With wide shoulders like myself. I would look into Mooney in the future but they are not recommend for newer pilots.

84 gallons in the PA-28-235 -- same wings and tanks as the Cherokee Six. Two main tanks of 25 gallons each (same as in all the other Hershey-bar-wing Cherokees) plus a 17 gallon auxiliary tank on each wingtip.

Does this configuration come standard? If so it's no different than say a piper six but more seats.

Does this configuration come standard? If so it's no different than say a piper six but more seats.
Cherokee 235 (including the later Cherokee Charger and Cherokee Pathfinder) has exactly the same wing and 84-gallon fuel tank set-up -- standard equipment -- as the 1965-78 Cherokee Six.

Cherokee 235 (including the later Cherokee Charger and Cherokee Pathfinder) has exactly the same wing and 84-gallon fuel tank set-up -- standard equipment -- as the 1965-78 Cherokee Six.

And fuel burn is about the same? 14-17gph?

And fuel burn is about the same? 14-17gph?
The Cherokee 235 and Cherokee Sixes all use versions of the Lycoming O-540 engine. The one in the four-seat PA-28-235 is lower compression and rated at 235 max hp -- around 12-13 gph. The Cherokee Sixes came in 260 hp and 300 hp flavors, with commensurately higher fuel consumption.

....even better if it has "standard" seating. weaving legs ain't fun ....:D

I sat thighs to knees on a C130 from Pearl Harbor to Camp Pendleton in 98. Worst.....flight....evaaaah. Rested my head on my SsGts shoulder whilst I slept too. Loadmasters had the best seat.....some pallet with softer stuff on top. Easy ride. Also got to pisz in the tube which was cool.

I love Mooney the first time I got into an Ovation 2. I have never flown one, I got into one at Sun and Fun. It's really comfortable inside the even if you are 6'2 With wide shoulders like myself. I would look into Mooney in the future but they are not recommend for newer pilots.

Hmmm . . . Nobody told me that before I bought mine with 62 hours total time in my logbook. About the time my plastic card came in the mail from OKC. Seriously, Mooneys are fine for pilots of all experience levels, but you need to get transition training from a CFI who really knows Mooneys. The Mooney pilot group (MAPA) offers a class with 20 hours ground school and 4 hours flight time with a CFI or CFII in your own Mooney (Pilot Proficiency Program, PPP) in different areas of the country several times a year. I went to one with about 105 hours time, a month after I finished the 15 hours insurance-required dual instruction. There is more to do than in a trainer, and turbo models have more to do still, but they are great flying planes and excellent traveling machines!

Seriously, Mooneys are fine for pilots of all experience levels, but you need to get transition training from a CFI who really knows Mooneys.

I think I can safely say that I can fly a Mooney equally as bad as I can a 172 :p

I've never had a problem getting in or out of a Cherokee. It's the Skyhawks that I cannot get in or out of gracefully.

Got my PPL on Cessna (152/172) then moved to another town and joined a flying club that had mostly pipers so learned to fly those as well (140/160/180/201). Loved them all. When the time came to buy a plane I ended up with a Mooney and I love it too. I occasionally get to fly the others with friends and my brother in law has a Cherokee 6 (260). Still enjoy all of them but on long trips with him in the Cherokee I keep wishing we were in the Mooney specially so if there is a head wind.

Yeah but which one gets more chicks?

Me
1f87b9f757e60ad805de3d07c8a5ceea.jpg

Brought her home today. New thread to follow tomorrow after I get the grin off my face

Congrats! Nice work. Will open up some new dimensions in flying, and take you a whole lot of new places.
Enjoy!!

(Between you and ppracing looks like broad vertical tails covered in fabric are making a comeback :) )

I believe all PA 28s and 32s have one door. After having PA 28 and 32 for 12 + years I do not even realize that there is no second door. But now it was mentioned here I wish it had one.

I believe all PA 28s and 32s have one door. After having PA 28 and 32 for 12 + years I do not even realize that there is no second door. But now it was mentioned here I wish it had one.

Well, technically 32's have the rear door....

Or a Cirrus, or a Bonanza or or or

I wouldn't be so against the one door concept if there were windows you could open or some other source of significant air-flow in the cabin when on the ground... (other than the practice of holding the door open) Even my Skyhawk gets a bit "warm" in the summer months down here... I would like to bring Pipers and Mooneys into my wish list but that little postage slot of a window seems a bit ridiculous for summer days in North Carolina... :confused:... I'm really comfortable in my Skyhawk, but the few times I flew in Pipers, I really liked the visibility...

I've got one of those on my Cherokee (note my location) and it is a lifesaver.

I wouldn't be so against the one door concept if there were windows you could open or some other source of significant air-flow in the cabin when on the ground... (other than the practice of holding the door open) Even my Skyhawk gets a bit "warm" in the summer months down here... I would like to bring Pipers and Mooneys into my wish list but that little postage slot of a window seems a bit ridiculous for summer days in North Carolina... :confused:... I'm really comfortable in my Skyhawk, but the few times I flew in Pipers, I really liked the visibility...

Try a Grumman Tiger or Cheetah! Sliding canopy keeping me nice and cool, can even open in flight, and easy in and out of the plane. Open canopy, stand up and step out. On the ground of course. On the other hand, if you don't like your co-pilot, open canopy, roll inverted and release their seatbelt! LOL!

The kool scoop works well. I just open the tiny storm window and open the door, prop blast creates pretty good crossflow through the cabin even without it.

Why would anyone pay over 700 grand for a 200grand mooney !? no wonder GA is dying!

I didn't get what you meant with my limited flight knowledge!

I'm in the same boat as you are. I sweat like a pig in a skyhawk here in the summer, (98 Degrees with 80% Humidity).

How much are factory remans going for in a 180? or Overhauls these days?

Back