Lets talk Pipers

Me either. That's the fuel truck guy's job (renting wet).

I prefer no doors at all, but a sliding canopy sucks when you're upside down. Have to use the Life Hammer in the map box or fire extinguisher to break the plexi, if it's not already shattered from the flip.

Lol, for me it's scaling the side of my plane like King Kong with a hose over my shoulder, not a fan of letting the hose touch the plane, or letting line guys try to fuel for me, also if you do it right, it's easier to have it over your shoulder.

I wish they would ask me that. I forget to ask every time, 98% of the time.

You and almost every other plane that comes in here! They like the initiative and their needs anticipated and I like surprising even the big jet guys with the offer. Two rags and a small water bottle always on me for that, makes for some really great tips. Not that I expect it but it is nice. Trying to above and beyond and all that.

Also a dirty windshield drives me nuts when I fly and I know the feeling.

I have a 1970 Cherokee 140. I wish the Piper had doors on each side. But it saves weight and there's fewer parts to replace. So there's that.

Not many parts in a door and they very rarely have issues.

All of the PA-28 series have the same single door arrangement. You get used to getting in them in time, just gotta swing your legs and body the right way. Yeah it's one of the airplanes disadvantages, the 172 and Archers have similar performance and different advantages/disadvantages. It comes down to personal preference for most pilots. I personally own a 78 Archer II and have always preferred flying it over the 172s I trained in initially.

The flap handle is called a johnson bar... a lot of airplanes use them including some early model 172s. What I don't know is why someone would exit the aircraft and leave the flaps in the down position....that just seems weird. Normally you'd raise them after landing and leave them down until shutdown. You're not supposed to step in the flaps while getting out unless they're up and locked.

Johnson bar...Well noted, Thanks. Getting in an Archer feels like getting into the passenger side of a car and moving over to the drivers side every time without opening the doors. This is not the first time I have flown that Piper. My legs are really long so that is why it might be a problem. Also the Glare shield is REALLY close to my head even if it's all the way to the top.

The single door is a minor inconvenience, as is the need to constantly walk round the entire wingspan while on the ground. Beyond that, the low wing is a sweet setup. Excellent visibility (particularly in turns), much easier to fuel. And overall better crosswind handling.

Plus it looks cool :) but I'm totally biased here!

Edit: the Johnson bar flap is so simple and reliable, you wonder why it isn't on all light planes.

Don't get me wrong my favorite airplanes are low wing and I rather fly those compared to the 172 but I didn't create this thread to have a low wing, high wing debate. I was wondering if Pipers have double doors in there models that you could train in.

All person preference. Which trade offs do you prefer. My wife doesn't like flying in Cessna because looking straight down at the ground gives her vertigo. The low wing of the Piper interferes with that effect. She also likes the looks of the Piper better.

So the rule is, buy whatever your wife prefers and be happy with her choice.

I love Pipers too but I was looking for one that was more easier to get in and out of and can be used to train in.

I don't like the way high wing Cessna's look. They are ugly aircraft. That's reason enough.

That is debatable but I agree with you. My favorite planes are all low wing airplanes. I love ALL flying contraptions but if I had to pick one it would be a low wing airplane.

Wow, Cessna high wing versus Piper low wing thread. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

I didn't create that, all I wanted to know if there was a low wing airplane out there that is easy to get in and out of.

Are Mooneys double doors or no? Never flown a Mooney but I always see them parked.

They're out, but brand new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owned a Cessna prior to my Cherokee. I hated climbing ladders to fuel the Cessna. I love the low wing Cherokee so much better. Sumping the tanks is a non-issue for me. It is way easier to kneel down to grab a fuel sample on the Cherokee than to fuel a high wing. I really enjoy my Cherokee. It is very easy and fun to fly. It won't win any speed awards, but that is quite alright with me since I enjoy sightseeing while flying. Most of my flights are less than 200 miles so the time difference of a faster plane would not be earth shattering either.

I guess I have to get in enough airplanes to find out which one is right for me. I'm excited for the process and it will be a low wing airplane.

One door. Unsafe at any altitude.
:rofl:

I never thought about that, especially during a ditching, if that one door is jammed...you are screwed.

I think you should reach in and put the flaps up before you get in, so you don't put a Johnson Bar up your butt.

Are you speaking based on experience? :)

Just FYI, part of the emergency landing procedures on an Archer and other PA-28s includes unlatching the door and if time permits wedging something... like a T-shirt, sectional, whatever in the gap so it can't jam shut. I always brief anyone flying in my right seat on this before we go.

I owned a Cessna prior to my Cherokee. I hated climbing ladders to fuel the Cessna. I love the low wing Cherokee so much better. Sumping the tanks is a non-issue for me. It is way easier to kneel down to grab a fuel sample on the Cherokee than to fuel a high wing. I really enjoy my Cherokee. It is very easy and fun to fly. It won't win any speed awards, but that is quite alright with me since I enjoy sightseeing while flying. Most of my flights are less than 200 miles so the time difference of a faster plane would not be earth shattering either.

Beautiful Cherokee 140! Looks kind of like mine!

My liberty has two doors low wings,not the easiest aircraft to get in and out of. As I get older starting to think the Cessna might be a better choice for me.

You and almost every other plane that comes in here! They like the initiative and their needs anticipated and I like surprising even the big jet guys with the offer. Two rags and a small water bottle always on me for that, makes for some really great tips. Not that I expect it but it is nice. Trying to above and beyond and all that.

Also a dirty windshield drives me nuts when I fly and I know the feeling.
Yeah, if you go above and beyond I always tip if I have cash on me. It's definitely appreciated.

I really doubt people "don't like Cirrus and the drivers.." I think that some people, myself included, are envious of those who can afford them. You'll never hear any discriminatory comment or the heavily over-used red handle joke about the plane or the driver from me. That goes for the prop Cirrus, that jet..well, I'd like to have the money one would pay for the jet and buy something else.

Depending on the emergency you might not have enough time for an emergency checklist. This makes me want to purchase a Cirrus, I know people don't like Cirrus and the drivers but I rather have as many safety features as possible as an insurance policy. I LOVE Mooney's as well...close race!

Or get a plane on bush wheels and just land, I'd get a DHC2 on 35" ABWs or amphibs, or a 185 or PA18 before a new cirrus.

Topic on it
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/your-engine-quit-pick-a-airframe.86346/

Depending on the emergency you might not have enough time for an emergency checklist. This makes me want to purchase a Cirrus, I know people don't like Cirrus and the drivers but I rather have as many safety features as possible as an insurance policy. I LOVE Mooney's as well...close race!
the thing to keep in mind with this particular audio is that this person was not in the mindset of someone who had just lost an engine. He was just Landing. Had he had an engine out or some other issue he likely would have popped the door. Even in the cirrus this would still have happened. He would have had the other door though

These airplanes supposedly are designed to allow you to kick out the plexi also...

These airplanes supposedly are designed to allow you to kick out the plexi also...

If you are injured that might be a different story.

There are other, faster, low wing options ;)

17c75c1ae67c5a6ab84e1b21edddeaf9.jpg

Love Mooney's....never been in one tho...

If you think climbing in an out of a Piper Cherokee is challenging, just wait until you try doing that in a Mooney :D

I am 6'4", well over 200 lb and never thought the ingress/egress in my Cherokees was all that difficult. Put your left foot on the floor, slide down into the right front seat, slide across to the driver's seat and pull your right leg in as you do so. I do exactly the same thing with the Piper Aztec I currently own, as it too has only one door.

The Mooney has a lot of leg room, once you are in it. The shoulder room is cosy compared to a Cherokee (imo) and you sit awful close to the yoke and panel.

That would be the right way ;)

Tell me, when slow at higher angle of attack, do you want more or less rudder authority? (Back of rudder becoming more vertical)

Looked at the back of the tail on aerobatic airplanes?

264fc14d2c80c1abb37cd137caecf2bf.jpg

8a2df5dfc4f9c63f30d906b6f092486c.jpg

The silly swept tails began in marketing departments and actually harmed performance. Swept tails belong on jets!

That is debatable but I agree with you. My favorite planes are all low wing airplanes. I love ALL flying contraptions but if I had to pick one it would be a low wing airplane.

I didn't create that, all I wanted to know if there was a low wing airplane out there that is easy to get in and out of.

They're hard to find, but I had my first few lessons in a Beech Skipper. Low wing two doors, two seats, not a lot of power, not very pretty--sounds like a trainer, right?

And yeah, the tail is goofy, it's put on upside down and backwards . . .

Oddly enough, the best Pipers are high-wing.

See: SuperCub.

The Cessna Cardinal combines the advantages of both the Archer and Skyhawks.

The strutless wing, located behind the pilot means you have better visibility than an Archer/Warrior/140. Two huge door and a very wide cabin (wider than a C182) make it extremely comfortable.

The Cardinal sits lower to the ground than a Skyhawk, but you do need a ladder to refuel it.

svLzK8W6CuRgPix14mdVfGRssTMNjRfd6DUSPQRo7lpL40mQVw9NS1pGhQRoyNEq8qTvK7aE5wq8RsOfQlLc6NtXMDDl7aQn0XCDLDKVKXbkShyMFwSS0zMCUd8XYbyRsCWHcXwyTdpBhWyny9JsjmPtYC9GRbvVKUu-CdWyDFJcFdo7TPTojvZE1y1_IOPUg9iZMxYb-SbL3flwYFKZHDSUIQ-JiDaSqv_dTHr4tUWRkzKZgB5ZcizIq5LGwiZIhZgyFFezWEQLCpRkNbKvt-yapheJlpz8X3heCSu67IdEnrFFVXCjy0V6ICepWfQV5n7dSVovJBDGDzNLVbchF60r_5rr9hUb0ZjNcTRuLIibITlpomgAi1CjxuK6fq_jc6xLucJ4crWMdUnSkHF8X5WssDgnYq47khtR2rRXvAl0TpIFPSiAfocxBdWqqc8POVWdy74bdMxCoEQ7A8Py8fdioQgoNz8VsZIxa7609y8cnvnZ-nDTv10S7e_zEz3IjVTpU1ikxe0D34Y7JWBlIgL0SSQ12QcLVJpWsmGcUSIM-0-IgRMOLEo2waLRWabojGjHpnM96eRfad-Zi5JBKfZwpDoApvkXepC2hIJK0777DpAC5A=w800-h533-no

Back