L-39 or Spitfire?

George Foster

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bluesideup
I've an opportunity to fly either the L-39, the single engine jet fighter/trainer, or the historic British Spitfire. I can afford one or the other and I don't know if I'll have another chance to fly them again. Which would you fly? If cost is a concern, as it is most certainly is for me, the L-39 is about $3,800 an hour, the Spitfire about $3,600 for 30 minutes. Both will have about 10 mins taxi time. Any thoughts?

Tough call! I fly behind a prop and some jet time would be kewl! I'm guessing Spitfire time is tougher to come by ...

Spitfire! There are few of those still around. They sound neat. They are beautiful planes, and have unforgettable history.
I have been up close and personal with both Rolls Royce and Allison engines in P 51 Mustangs, the Spitfire, and P 40 Warhawk. The sounds are without compare. I have watched an international aerobatic contender put his P 51 through its paces several times in the mid 50's.

That is the sound and feel that thrills me.

Jets of every kind are all over the place, and unless the L 39 is special to you, I would pass on it.
Jets just do not do much for me, except maybe the Blackbird.

Dumb question: Up around 10,000msl what would a typical cruise speed in the L-39 during a fun ride and what would the Spitfire cruise speed be at same altitude? And also curious about the climb rate in both from takeoff up to 10K. Are they actually going to be fairly similar? Or is the L-39 gonna blow it away? Or will the L-39 operator hold back to make even more on that hour?

Spitfire, no contest. It's one of the all time great airplanes and a rare opportunity, while the L-39 is nothing special; it just happens to be available in large numbers on the civilian market.

This shouldn’t even be a question— Spitfire without a doubt.

I've an opportunity to fly either the L-39, the single engine jet fighter/trainer, or the historic British Spitfire. I can afford one or the other and I don't know if I'll have another chance to fly them again. Which would you fly? If cost is a concern, as it is most certainly is for me, the L-39 is about $3,800 an hour, the Spitfire about $3,600 for 30 minutes. Both will have about 10 mins taxi time. Any thoughts?
From the money angle, could you fly the L-39 for 30 minutes for $1900 and try really, really hard to double the other half of the money so you could fly the Spitfire in a few years, too?

Last edited:
I would opine, but your mind has already been made up by us… just sayin…

A spitfire would be fun but not $3600 for 30 minutes of fun. With a 10 minute taxi and only 20 minutes in the air are you greatly going to get $180 a minute worth of enjoyment out of that flight?

How much stick time in the Spit?

I would not pay that much for a RIDE. But to actually fly it, it would be a tough choice.

If you have to ask, just pay for it and I'll
How much stick time in the Spit?

I would not pay that much for a RIDE. But to actually fly it, it would be a tough choice.

I think if you're an aviation guy, you could weasel your way into an L-39 ride. There are plenty of them around. I know a nearby field where there are about 10 of 'em in flying condition. I suspect I could hang around, wax, polish, clean, and tighten my way into an L-39 ride with a month of brown nosing around the airfield.

A Spit ride? That's like a unicorn ride. If you get the opportunity, you'd better take it, 'cause there aren't many around.

Where will you be flying? It would be really cool if you could use the Spitfire to make a strafing run on Hammelburg, just for old time's sake.... :D

I would say Spitfire, but $3,600 for 20 minutes in the air is something that would make me think... I would rather put the money toward 20 hours in a 182 with these people: https://www.africanflyingadventures.com/african-flying-safaris/ and go flying over Botswana and Namibia for a couple of weeks. I am sure the memories would outlast the 20 minutes in the Spitfire, at least for me.

If it isn’t too late…

I would say Spitfire, but $3,600 for 20 minutes in the air is something that would make me think... I would rather put the money toward 20 hours in a 182 with these people: https://www.africanflyingadventures.com/african-flying-safaris/ and go flying over Botswana and Namibia for a couple of weeks. I am sure the memories would outlast the 20 minutes in the Spitfire, at least for me.

Off topic, but we are about the have our third self fly trip around Southern Africa and,yes, the memories do last. Literally a trip of a lifetime.
There is a dual control Spitfire here in NZ, only $2900.
Hamish

easy for me...Spitfire.
Mainly for the sentimental value
but that said.... I remember reading somewhere fairly recently somewhere...& I don't really recall teh context.... but the author indicated that flying a mustang wasn't really like a sports car....more like flying a truck. I'd imagine a spit is similar.
Just guessing..... but the jet is likely more like a sports car.... smooth, fast, and maybe quiet. Probably more like pure flight & quite fun.

Again, do you get stick time in the Spit? Or is it just a ride?

L-39 can do tail slides. :D

Back