Is the Plane you had your first lesson in still flying???

Twin_Flyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Twin_Flyer
So I was updating my log and for no particular reason I started wondering if that PA28-140 (N4553T) that I had my first flight lesson in, was still flying. So after a quick check of the FAA site and a google search, No Joy:sad::sad::sad:

So I was just wondering if any of you kept up with your first...:hairraise:

Last edited:
Yes but with fresh paint job

Nooooooooo

New student on initial solo froze on the controls on 2nd T/O, rolled to the left and stalled, finally resting the aircraft upsidedown with it's back broken ---->
right outside of the Connecticut Department of Aviation office at HFD (1968)
Cessna 150E

Last edited:
I think mine is - at least it was re-registered as recently as 2013. It didn't go far - I first flew the 1969 172 at VNY, and it's registered to someone in Central California.

Good memories!

Nope. Gone to the scrap heap decades ago.
Did some checking. Every aircraft I flew to get my PPL, except 1, is no longer registered or exists.
sigh....

Last edited:
Last time I saw it a few years ago it was getting a new firewall, that was 5 years ago.

43H is still flying as far as I know....out of the same airport...Grays Creek Airport (2GC) here in NC.
N62209 is still flying
N2113S is the firstSkyhawk I owned...it is Western Australia at the Wings Academy..
N1194R is the 182...it is in Northen Virginia...

These are the four airframes I took lessons or check rides in...

As far as I know, every airplane I've flown so far is still flying.

I don't know exactly where it is, but I think Barron Thomas purchased my first solo plane N714YF (a cessna 152) as scrap to use in his securities scam. It's now listed as deregistered.

I suspect I might grab the N number for sentimental reasons when it becomes available..

Sadly N9213U has been deregistered. Hoping that this spring I'll be making new memories.

1401977_10203131838238838_296582244_o (1).jpg

Nope, a commercial pilot crashed it on a beach in Florida 4-5 years after I first flew it.

http://www.ntsb.gov/about/employmen...ev_id=20001208X06306&ntsbno=MIA96FA186&akey=1

No mechanical problems were found with the aircraft, but the pilot:
These studies were negative for alcohol. Promethazine (0.034 ug/ml, ug/g) was present in the blood and urine. Acetaminophen (17.400 ug/ml, ug/g) was detected in the urine.

Promethazine is an anti-nausea drug that makes me sleep like a baby.

The 172 that I soloed in at 8 hours met some sort of problem in British Columbia. Must ha been 25 years after I last saw it.

269e5ef1528a5cc06729cb84bd4fd0c4.jpg

Yes. N4620X is still around (and back at KHVR) 45 years and 4 months after my first lesson.

Mark

Yes it is, and it's belonged to the same flight school since it was nearly new in the late 40s.

So I was updating my log and for no particular reason I started wondering if that PA24 140 (N4553T) that I had my first flight lesson in, was still flying. So after a quick check of the FAA site and a google search, No Joy:sad::sad::sad:

it still could be. there is no record in the NTSB file for that N number so it was not destroyed. it could have been re-registered with a new N number. if you could find the serial number on it you could search it that way. by the way there is no such thing as a PA24-140 the PA24 is a comanche and the smallest engine to go in those was a 180.

bob

it still could be. there is no record in the NTSB file for that N number so it was not destroyed. it could have been re-registered with a new N number. if you could find the serial number on it you could search it that way. by the way there is no such thing as a PA24-140 the PA24 is a comanche and the smallest engine to go in those was a 180.

bob

Thanks for catching that... :goofy:I have no idea what the serial number is, but I did think about it.:dunno:

Nope. Took my checkride in '07, and 3-4 years later someone else had carb ice and put it in the trees off the end of the runway . . . . . . about a year after engine overhaul and new paint! The FBO had two 172s, the other is still valiantly plugging away.

Yes a 172S, although it's currently in the shop for a new engine and some other TLC as its spent most of its life coping with anything the hundreds of student pilots could throw at it....including some 70 hours of abuse from me...

Strange if you do all your training in one particular ship how you get attached to it, after my check ride I then went on to rent it for quite a long time before I moved on to flying other aircraft

My first lesson airplane was a Piper Warrior, N8288Z. I first flew it on 6/15/85 and it's still flying.

The C150 I had my first lesson in is still flying today. Its former owner, and my first CFI is no longer with us, passed away from cancer a couple years ago... R.I.P. Curtis.

No, she was one of three Cessna 150s I flew and she got tore up after the 19 year old pilot ran out of fuel a few miles from home.

First intro flight never got logged but the plane has been deregistered and moved to Australia. First actual logged plane got a new tail number and is still flying down in TX/LA.

No. First flight Dec. 27. Six weeks later on the day I was set to solo plane went in off the end of the runway on departure killing the pilot. Crumpled wreckage still sitting on the airfield. A sobering reminder of the price that could be paid for making a mistake every time I fly

1973, first lesson in a 172G. It was only seven years old, a much-less-than-new-airplane in those days. Still flying here in BC, and 49 years old now.

My first plane is now in Texas and my solo plane is in New Mexico. Both Cherokee 140s When I flew them they were based out of Lee Airport, near Annapolis MD.

The Champ 7EC, in which I had the bulk of pre-solo dual, is still flying in SoCal. My first-solo airplane, a 150G, was scrapped after a hard landing (not mine :) ). My PPL airplane, a 150H, had its registration "canceled" a couple of years ago, with no further explanation. The 150E in which I got my commercial, instrument and CFI, and in which I took my wife on our first date, was exported to Canada.

There is a distressingly large number of rental airplanes in my logbook that met unhappy ends, ranging from pilot suicide (Piper Warrior), to fuel exhaustion (Turbo Saratoga and C-177B ), to a toxic cocktail of alcohol and fog (C-152), and others inbetween.

Perhaps the weirdest is a C-150G in which I instructed at Long Beach, CA. Most of it now is decorating the entrance to an airport restaurant in Belgium.

N3162J_Belgium.jpg

So I was updating my log and for no particular reason I started wondering if that PA28-140 (N4553T) that I had my first flight lesson in, was still flying. So after a quick check of the FAA site and a google search, No Joy:sad::sad::sad:

Registration numbers are changed on aircraft every day. Aircraft are exported every day. :dunno:

Did this going through my dad's logbook a couple of years ago and it was hit and miss on the planes he has flown.

The plane I learned in is still flying and is actually getting a new interior as we speak. Granted it is owned by a family member so I can keep up on it.

Back