Is the Plane you had your first lesson in still flying???

I doubt it if the one I trained in is still flying ... it was a ragged out Piper 140 in 1975.

No, another renter crashed in a taxiing incident six months after my first lesson. High winds were cited in the report. Fortunately, no injuries.

Photo:

491ca140e3926Plane2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. I soloed 1965 Piper Cherokee 150 N5878W in June 1972 & it's still registered & is in Indiana I believe.

I learned to fly in Montana. Five years after I soloed that Cherokee I spotted her on the ramp in Great Falls, MT. I was living in WA state by then & flying as a corporate pilot in a T210. It was cool to see it again.

It's been a kick to dig through my logbooks & check on acft I flew. Many are unregistered however...but I'm not! :wink2:

The Cessna 152 I soloed in back in 1988 from CableAir is still flying. Now it is up in Idaho.

Other planes I flew from the same FBO in UplandCA didn't fare so well. NTSB search reveals five were in accidents.

1. C-152: Fatal accident - probably suicide. Full throttle into a canyon.
2. C-172: Engine failure due to loose oil plug. Landed on freeway.
3. C-172: Engine failure due to thrown rod. Barely made it to airport.
4. C-172: Engine failure due to fuel exhaustion. Landed on freeway.
5. C-172: Take off from Big Bear (6752 feet MSL) with full flaps in 150 hp model which has 40 degrees available. Earlier that day, he departed Cable airport with full flaps but recovered. Guess he didn't learn his lesson. Loved that plane. Flew it to Grand Canyon with my family.

Last time I saw it a few years ago it was getting a new firewall, that was 5 years ago.

Looks like not, it was de registered after Ray shut down Rainbow Air and the S/N hasn't showed back up in the registry. So I guess that old 152 got retired.

I bought a Cessna 150M to learn to fly in. It was N6359K and it is still registered to the person I sold it to in 1987. So I suppose it is still flying, but I don't know for sure.

I always wondered how often that happened back in the days when the dealers did the flight training. In '57 you could buy a 150 for about twice the price of a Corvette for an economic market comparison, and the middle class was much more prosperous then than now.

No, another renter crashed in a taxiing incident six months after my first lesson. High winds were cited in the report. Fortunately, no injuries.

Photo:

491ca140e3926Plane2.jpg
That's a depressing picture. Hopefully the renter was alright.

Yup, all of the aircraft I've flown (admittedly only 5-6) are still operating. However, that's no surprise for 172R's/RG's at the FBO. It's only been about 8 years since the first lesson, so it's not as if there's been a lot of time for anything to have happened.

A few years ago I moved my paper logs to Safelog, and decided to go back and enter all of my old flights in. It took a while, but it was a fun trip down memory lane. As I was doing it, I started looking to see what happened to the planes I flew. The first one, a 1983 Warrior, N4328D, was lost in a forced landing about 12 years after I first flew it, during a training flight.

I have flown 32 different aircraft over the years (I travel a lot for work, and have rented in many states). About 28 are still flying. One was hit by a propeller when it was parked (then scrapped). A real nice Cherokee 6 being flown by a local CFI ran out of fuel landed on a street, and crashed into a garage. I heard there were some injuries, but no fatalities.

I was able to track one from Chicago down to Columbia in South America. It seems to have disappeared after that. And one appears to be deregistered.

All three 152s I trained in are still flying at Ohio State. Seem to be busy too even with the new 172s they got.

Mine were a mixed bag of mostly wreckage when I checked a couple of years ago. One 150 was still flying in Kansas somewhere. (Someone smartly moved it downhill from the high Summer DAs here.)

There was one Skyhawk that burnt to the ground after landing (no injuries) and my favorite 172RG was destroyed by hail. A few other Skyhawks had been wrecked but interestingly I found no fatalities.

Nope. A student pilot put it in a ditch. Said the engine quit on downwind. No engine problems were found, no ice, fuel was okay, etc. Hmmm

I see my first training flight airplane, N11944, a C-150 with Navy Memphis Flying club is still registered, now with an individual from Lincoln, NE.

My 1st solo plane, N4018V, a C-150 was deregistered from Navy Memphis and then disappears ...

Yep. Just gave some people rides in it about 2 weeks ago.

The plane I had my 2nd lesson in did not fair so well. A pilot ran off an icy runway and hit a pile of snow totalling the plane. Fortunately the pilot wasn't hurt.

The first glider I flew was grounded by an AD a few days after I soloed. It was never ungrounded and probably never will be. I may have been the last person to fly it.

Is the Plane you had your first lesson in still flying???

Yes.
Cuz I still own it. :)

Funny background story: the plane came with vinyl letters that spelled out "Green Hornet". Since I had no strong feelings for the comic book, I removed the E and T to better indicate who was behind the wheel/yoke. :D

The plane I soloed in 20 years ago, a C152 t/n N4766P, was shipped off to India.

Last time I checked the Cherokee is still in the FAA registry 40+ after I got my PPL.

It is, and it's still in the family 20 years later!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.
Cuz I still own it. :)

Funny background story: the plane came with vinyl letters that spelled out "Green Hornet". Since I had no strong feelings for the comic book, I removed the E and T to better indicate who was behind the wheel/yoke. :D

What's a GREN HORNE ?
:D

Nope, a student pranged it the day after my intro flight.

<--- Sadly no. Apparently a student landed it a little too hard one day. I loved flying that plane a 172B. The other plane I did my training in and took my test in a 172K is still flying with the same owners but new paint.

Mine is, but the CFI was involved in a fatal flying accident giving tailwheel training in another plane. Someone at my airport ended up purchasing it.

With my extensive and very long flying career dating back to January of this year I can happily say that the C172S I took a discovery flight in and the Cirrus SR20 that I'm currently training in are still flying. I must caution though, that I have not yet completed my PPL, so there's a high likelihood that the SR20 may not last much longer.

Nope, wrecked with a fatality the same day I flew it.

<snip>

There is a distressingly large number of rental airplanes in my logbook that met unhappy ends, ranging from pilot suicide (Piper Warrior), to fuel exhaustion (Turbo Saratoga and C-177B ), to a toxic cocktail of alcohol and fog (C-152), and others inbetween.
<snip>

Nope N5211Q had a hard landing by a student and collapsed the nose strut, resulting in a prop strike and fire wall damage, shows it deregistered in 1991 which would have been a couple years after that accident. I only got about 11 hours in it before the accident.

Of the 200 some planes I have flown in the past 28 years about 1 in 9 I know isn't flying, most due to the normal pilot error stuff, but one was Hijacked from the owner in Mexico, One burned in a grass fire at the airport, One was Grounded by an AD, One is just sitting derelict at the airport.

Brian

Last edited:
I'm surprised to learn that n48967 is still chugging along. I took my first lesson in it in 2007.

So I was updating my log and for no particular reason I started wondering if that PA28-140 (N4553T) that I had my first flight lesson in, was still flying. So after a quick check of the FAA site and a google search, No Joy:sad::sad::sad:

So I was just wondering if any of you kept up with your first...:hairraise:

After what I did to it, I doubt it.

Not sure as that plane was sold after my first flight. But the one that replaced it, that I have a few hours in, came to a very unfortunate end. An instructional flight to KPTK, lost power on final, landed short. The instructor walked away, the student received at least serious and possibly fatal injuries (it was some years ago, I'm not sure now). I don't remember what the final determination was as to the cause of the crash, but carb ice was high up on the list of possible culprits.

The plane was a rental 152 based at 57D and the crash was well publicized at the time.

Another plane that I trained a little in early on, a Piper Cherokee 140 out of KDET, crashed into the roof of a T-hangar and was totaled, though I don't think the pilot was injured.

The plane I first soloed in turned out to be stolen from the deceased owner's estate by the FBO owner. The tail number is no longer assigned and I have no idea what happened to the plane.

The 172 I did all my solo XCs and took my checkride in (the popular N739RX out of 76G) was totaled by a renter a few years ago. Fortunately I don't think anyone was hurt in that crash.

First airplane I ever flew is still owned by someone who lists their LLC as "West Denver Flight Services, LLC" but AFAICT it's really a private owner. Airplane last seen on Flightaware in 2015. N75839

One airplane I did most of my into all training in N79323 seems to have wandered out to California over the years.

A C150 I have a bunch of time in N19409 appears to have moved to North Dakota and a private owner. Someone shot a photo of it in South Dakota near where my dad's side of the family is from (it was registered there for a while) in 2009. Same paint job (although it might have been refreshed) in 1991.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000292497.html

And the other C150 we used and I think was the one I soloed in, N7164F... Is also in another small town in North Dakota. Interesting they both went north like that.

Then there's 60 hours or so of various Skyhawks that are all still in the air but one, and it burnt to the ground after a fueling accident at Longmont, CO many years after I flew it.

The nicest flying and best maintained Skyhawk I ever flew was totally trashed by later students at another club and was being parted out many years ago. It pained me to see it sitting over there being used as a parts airplane... n55250

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/000158174.html

Same deal with the 172RG I had over 50 hours in. Destroyed by hail long after Commercial students and non-picky maintenance started to kill her. N5330R

http://www.avclaims.com/N5330R Photos.htm

My ONLY Piper in the logbook, amazingly, appears to have been sold to someone in Tennessee. Cherokee 180 that an old guy here used to rent. N9088J

About 9 months after my first lesson, a student on a cross country ran out of gas and balled it up during the off field landing. He came out better than the airplane. N23092

Nope. Someone ran 81917 out of gas near Richmond, at 4am, 400' ceiling. Absolute miracle that he lived. Turns out a Warrior can fly from Nantucket to Richmond but can't go missed.

Oops, I take that back. My first, first lesson 30 years ago was in N3072V, a 152 which IS still around. Amazing.

Back