Is the Plane you had your first lesson in still flying???

Funny that this thread got resurrected. I'm about a month into owning my first plane, a 1966 pa-28-140. It's a plane my late father-in-law first logged and passed his PPL check ride in back in 1970. My son never got to know his grandfather, but adores planes and will also get to learn to fly in the same plane his grandfather did. After some panel work, I'm going be able to use it for my IR as well.

Nope. N22LU was destroyed in a fatal crash about 5 years after I took my first flight in her and only 3 weeks after I last flew her solo as a private pilot.

Oddly, I didn't know the reason for why it disappeared from the flight school line until a few years ago when I had the same idea as the OP in this post and googled the tail number.

Here is the accident summary:
http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=43339

Yep, still flying at the same airport..

6397G and 3 other 150's out of the six I flew for training are still going and both 172s. I flew 8 different airplanes in the 35 hrs it took to get my PPL. Don

I had 9 hrs in my first plane when it had a cable throttle issue and was put down in a field by a different student and his instructor. Landed on a hillside at night and tore the wheels off. Both pilots walked away. Found out later that the AP missed a safety wire/connection of some sort during it's most recent annual. They totaled the plane. The real shame for me was that I had just landed it without help for the first time just a couple days before. Cherokee5325L-edit.jpg

Yep! Cessna 152 (68810), she's a workhorse too!

Yup. N5878W. A Piper Cherokee 150. Anybody know what a Cherokee 150 is? When I tell people I learned in a Cherokee 150 they question if I ever even took flight training. I've even been corrected before. "There's a Cessna 150 & a Cherokee 140 but no Cherokee 150". Wrong.

I flew it in Montana in the early 70's. It now resides in Indiana I believe.

The 1939 J3 Cub my dad taught me to fly in is somewhere in Alaska yet today. Tail number was changed and I have lost track of it.
The 1957 PA-23 Apache I took my multi instrument rating in, some 40+ years ago, is still flying. I have owned it for the past 20 years.
But, these airplanes, and the folks like me who flew them, are dinosaurs - soon to be gone.
The folks who follow us will be waxing poetic about the rotax powered light sport airplane they flew in their youth.

My first instructional flight was in N1433U - it has apparently been deregistered. I soloed in N79286 - it was crashed and totaled.

New 1966 150, did most of my PPL in it the summer of 1966 at Stapleton Field in Denver. A guy that was getting his PPL at the same time bought it in 1967 from Clinton Aviation and he and his wife tried to fly it up to Fairplay, CO to see the Burro races on the 4th of July shortly after buying it. Couldn't get over the last ridge going into South park and hit tall pines, killing them both. Wreckage is still there, hard to see anymore with all the growth over the last 49 years.

The registration is valid. Found an old listing from '08 where it was for sale.

http://www.aircraftmerchants.com/cf/acDetail.cfm?AircraftId=Imp27

New registration is to a bank in Utah. Nothing on flight aware since '08 but it could just be a blocked n number perhaps.
New paint and a 180hp conversion. But it still has the same interior. Lots of memories in that airplane. Took my lovely bride out on first date and three years later flew to first flight airport with her in the same plane to propose at the third flight marker.

First solo and check ride also. Quick check of the logbook... It was still at the school when I came back as a CFI. Actually logged dual given in that plane. Perhaps I should find her and buy it for the family putt around :)

Nope. Found out during its last 100hr that it had a crumpled firewall. That means I solo'd and logged a couple solo hours in a broken airplane. It got written off.

The first plane I ever flew (172) cracked through the ice whilst landing on a New England lake in winter. No fatalities, the plane was salvaged (it didn't go completely through the ice), but I've seen no indication that it's back in the air. The one I soloed in (152) was written off after a non-fatal loss of control landing, according to the NTSB report. The first plane I flew with a constant speed prop (177) was lost in a fatal crash in a canyon in the Pacific Northwest. And a 172 that I once rented spent many months in the shop after a loss of control incident -- but it's back in the air and I'm renting it again. Happily, many other planes in my log book are doing just fine.

IT's still alive, a 1974 Cessna 150 N10993 at Lyons KS. My father was my instructor. It would have been probably 1975? He didn't keep it long since he was a Cessna dealer at the time and there was a new !975 model on it's way. A local guy bought it and traded this amazing T-Craft in on it. The same family still owns it today.

N605FT, still flying, still in KOMN Ormond Beach, FL. Not sure if it still belongs to the thief who closed the flight school before I finished and ran away with a few k's of my money...

Funny that this thread got resurrected. I'm about a month into owning my first plane, a 1966 pa-28-140. It's a plane my late father-in-law first logged and passed his PPL check ride in back in 1970. My son never got to know his grandfather, but adores planes and will also get to learn to fly in the same plane his grandfather did. After some panel work, I'm going be able to use it for my IR as well.

That's cool. My second airplane was a '66 Cherokee 140. Loved that little plane! Flew it on some pretty long cross country trips, too. I wish I still had it.

I've searched for the plane I did my most of my PPL training in but it doesn't show up anywhere. I'm guessing it got exported at some point as it simply vanished from the records.

The first plane I ever flew (172) cracked through the ice whilst landing on a New England lake in winter. No fatalities, the plane was salvaged (it didn't go completely through the ice), but I've seen no indication that it's back in the air. The one I soloed in (152) was written off after a non-fatal loss of control landing, according to the NTSB report. The first plane I flew with a constant speed prop (177) was lost in a fatal crash in a canyon in the Pacific Northwest. And a 172 that I once rented spent many months in the shop after a loss of control incident -- but it's back in the air and I'm renting it again. Happily, many other planes in my log book are doing just fine.
Hopefully not someone trying to land at Alton Bay too early or too late in the season?! :eek:

N94939 was at Ft Lewis when I took my first lesson 11 years ago. She has gone a long way since then for a C152.

8-Jan-2016SILVER EXPRESS CO DBAMIAMI FL
20-Nov-2015MOUSEPAD SHOP INCMATTHEWS NC
18-Sep-2015REGISTRATION PENDINGMATTHEWS NC
28-Mar-2008FORT LEAVENWORTH FLYING ACTIVITYFORT LEAVENWORTH KS
14-Dec-2007REGISTRATION PENDINGFORT LEAVENWORTH KS
02-Jun-2006FORT LEWIS ARMY FLYING CLUBFT LEWIS WA

Just cleaned out my home office and found the POH photocopy for '3SW', the 1981 PA28-181 I did most of my private ticket in.
It's still flying as a trainer. Very nice plane, was on the glossy journal covers sometime in the 90s after a prior owner had splurged on new avionics, an STEC50 , new paint and all the knots2U speed mods.

Yes. N8119H has been sold at least once, and moved its home airport to Beverly MA but the Warrior II is still flying and being used for training.

As far as I know,,,N580FL, PA-28. I flew it out of F29.

The Cessna I did my 3rd and/or 4th lesson in was lost. I was taking lessons at another school, but my instructor was unavailable for a few lessons, so I rented this one.

About a year later this happened. I think it was a case of VFR into IMC.

Mine was fine until a few days ago. Solo student pilot PIO, operating in conditions inconsistent with his endorsement. I don't know for sure it's dead, but it's hard to imagine a $20,000 152 getting a new prop, engine, nose gear, and whatever else got broken.

The pilot survived the crash, but who knows if he'll survive his instructor and the aircraft owner.

Finally had to do a search. The first plane I did my first lesson in, N6764G, a Cessna 150 at Osan Air Base aero club, apparently crashed on a xc from Seoul to Osan, killing the occupants and totaling the plane. All I could find was a brief summary and nothing in depth on what happened. The other Cessna 150, N6797G, I soloed in at Osan also crashed and killed the CFI and student right after lift off from 150'. Weird. Again nothing in depth of why and what caused the accident. Couldn't find anything on the NTSB site but I didn't try real hard.

Not sure. Hangar that plane was kept in collapsed during some inclement weather in 2013 or so. Owner/flight school guy had another plane that a student put into a ditch. Sold it all to a new operator and I think they cobbled the 2 together and had one nice plane. Not sure what the tail # is, and if it is still flying.

Its now in the overhaul shop

Yup. N5878W. A Piper Cherokee 150. Anybody know what a Cherokee 150 is? When I tell people I learned in a Cherokee 150 they question if I ever even took flight training. I've even been corrected before. "There's a Cessna 150 & a Cherokee 140 but no Cherokee 150". Wrong.
The first PA-28 to be certified was the "Cherokee 160" in mid-1961, followed a few months later by the "Cherokee 150", identical except for the engine. Why produce two models so similar? The -160 had just slightly better performance and a little higher gross weight (see table below), but required 91-octane or better fuel. The -150 got by on the cheaper 80 octane, which in those days was a huge savings in operating costs, and the -150 proved to be more popular. The -180 was added to the line in late 1962, and the -235 in late 1963. The -140, intended at first to be just a two-seat trainer, was introduced in 1964.

Unlike the -140, the -150 had a full-size bench back seat and baggage compartment with door.

The -150 and -160 were discontinued in 1967.

piper_line_1963_09.jpg

My first lesson was in a C150M, N63478 - exported to Mexico.
My SEL checkride was in a C172N, N3483E - destroyed in a crash, not by me.
Another 172 that I flew quite a bit was also destroyed in a crash, again not by me.
The Duchess that I got my MEL in is currently deregistered.

I have decided not to research any others. :cool:

Yup, C-GUKI at Coastal Pacific Aviation at CYXX, back in the early 90's. C172M. It's still flying for Coastal too...I was up in that neck of the woods a few months ago (I live in socal now) and was on the freeway, passing the airport, lo and behold, C-GUKI flew over on short final to 19 (reg letters are on the underside of the wing and HUGE up in Canada). I almost started crying. The thing's gotta have 15k+ hours by now.

BTW, in the early '60s you could tell which model Cherokee it was just by the original registration number. Until about 1966 Piper used the block of numbers starting with N5000W for the Cherokee 150 and 160; N6000W for the Cherokee 140, N7000W for the Cherokee 180, N8500W for the Cherokee 235, and N9000W for the Six.

Nope. It was wrecked by an idiot. The idiot survived, but not the plane.

As far as I know, every airplane I've flown so far is still flying.

You know, when you are done flying them you are supposed to turn them off? I think it is very irresponsible of you to leave a plane when it is still flying. :)

Keeps me awake at night thinking of all those pilotless planes up there.

In my case, I hope it is still airworthy, my first flight was only a few months ago.

You know, when you are done flying them you are supposed to turn them off? I think it is very irresponsible of you to leave a plane when it is still flying. :)

Keeps me awake at night thinking of all those pilotless planes up there.

In my case, I hope it is still airworthy, my first flight was only a few months ago.

Another newbie with jokes...:yikes: Good luck with your flight training...:yes:

Another newbie with jokes...:yikes: Good luck with your flight training...:yes:

Um...okay. Thanks I guess. I just thought it was funny to take literally...as a joke.

Pretty much everyone here was a newbie at some point. Not quite sure how my joking around here would affect my training? Or why you are wishing me good luck with it.

Sorry if I broke etiquette here. It wasn't seriously meant. I am mainly a very respectful student who has a high regard for all pilots, and am slightly awed by how much it takes to get a PPL. I'm most definitely a newbie, and know-nothing. But I'm getting more than a little obsessed with flying.

I'll take your comment as well meant, and wish us all safe flying.

Last edited:
Back