• 10's.

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Demographic poll. Inspired by a story in another thread.

The question should be. Did you get your undergraduate degree B.S. or B.A. in 3, 4, 5 years or more. Or did you not finish.

I specifically asked START because the year of graduation or not is often a different decade. Pretty hard to start in 1999 and finish in the same decade.

1999... isn't that a song by _____.

Kinda hard to say when. started trade school 1957, continued college course for 22 years in the NAVY, and after that obtained two ATAs at the local Community college

Graduated in 2000 after 5 and a half hard workin years.
I am the only person I have met that has a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science.

logo-300x155.jpg

@SixPapaCharlie - glad you caught that!

My ex did her undergrad at UNT. Back when Fry Street Fair was where it belonged... on Fry Street!

Would birth year or age be a better poll?

Would birth year or age be a better poll?

In some respects, yes.

However, university culture has morphed over time, so someone entering in different decades would have different experiences, even if they were older or younger than the rest of their freshman class.

Curriculum changed as well. When I was in school it was DSM-III and now it's DSM 5. (Not sure why they changed from roman numerals after IV but that's another thing for another silly thread.)

I don't assume everyone entered college at 18 fresh out of high school. Many people went to the military first, or worked a while and then went back for more schooling.

Graduated from high school in 14. 3 years in and it still sucks. I can’t English and I can barely math, so I know I’ll be a great pilot!

Started my degree in ‘78 and ended up with an AAS in the summer of ‘81. Started back to school in ‘84 on in Aero Eng. but got flattened by Diff Eq.

Went in the Air Force in '68 and started taking classes at night at local colleges. As I moved around some locations didn't offer classes I needed so it would be awhile before I was able to get back at it. Along the way picked up an Associate degree in ATC, and after 10 years of going part time at night I finished with a BS in Bus Admin. Started masters but only took 2 classes.

Last edited:
Of course higher education has changed. Heck, most of the stuff I teach wasn't even known when I went to school

Started college in the 80s. Finished painfully in the 80s, BSME. Done with school forever!

Couple of jobs later, started night school in 2000s. Finished easily in 2000s, MSE, 4.0 GPA. Saddened to learn that Cum Laude, etc, does not apply to Masters Degrees . . .

While working as Product Development Engineer at a Fortune 100 medical manufacturer and working on Engineering Masters at night, thought that was a good time to earn my PPL. Waited until after graduation to get Instrument Rating.

So far, so good. School is easier when older, mature, with experience juggling priorities on multiple simultaneous "Rush" projects.

First college course was on a Med cruise in 1984. Only got a few classes after that. In 1992, after my divorce, I went full hog on college while working full time. Got my BS in 1996. In late 2005, I started taking online Riddle classes for my Masters. Finished that up in 2010.

Started BSME in 59, MSME in 70, MS Mgt in 77, all finished on schedule. Pick one:D

Cheers

I started college in the 70's. I spent 5 years in a BS (bull $#!t) program. I earned three years worth of credits, hated it (poor h.s. career counseling), quit school, then started a family. Nearly ten years later I went back to school, (totally different career path), earned a certificate, then my AAS. Traditional education in my new career field would have lead to an engineering degree, and being strapped to a desk. (Not for me.) Over the years, I have completed twelve additional technical certification programs. I'm one of those old "well seasoned" field technicians, a Junior College adjunct instructor, and, for the past seven years, a technical instructor for a large old school Apprenticeship program. I started my education in the seventies, but, I guess I haven't quite graduated yet.

The 10’s.

Last edited:
I started in 1977 upon HS graduation as an Engineering Math and Computer Systems major. (The school did not have a Computer Science degree at that time.) Dropped out after 2 quarters. Went back in 1979 as a voice major. Dropped out to tour with a band. Eventually finished a BSCS (I checked to make sure it wasn't a BACS just because of @SixPapaCharlie's post) in 1996. It was a very different place in 1996 than it was in 1977. The school had grown a great deal, changed it's name and focus. Originally it was Florida Technological University and was focused on engineering and science degrees to support the space program 35 miles east of here. (Cape Canaveral, you may have heard of it...) Changed the name and focus. It's now (and has been since 1980ish) the University of Central Florida, and while it still has a good engineering school, it is a full blown liberal arts education.

Interesting tidbit: When I returned and worked through my BSCS degree, that degree program was owned by the College of Arts and Sciences as was the math department and the music department. So I still knew faculty in the music department from when I was a voice major. Which actually helped me get some of my class credits approved...

John

I am the only person I have met that has a Bachelor of Arts in Computer Science.

logo-300x155.jpg

Yeah, that's an odd one. I've been working in IT since forever and I have a BS in Economics/Business. Edit: I was going to double major in Computer Science/Economics but I required more sleep than that was going to allow.

Graduated HS in 2000, enlisted in the AF early 2001 and started classes the same year. 9/11 happened and work got busy. Picked classes back up in 2012 and graduated BS Business Admin earlier this year. Now I'm mulling over Masters or some sort of trade/certification instead...

Graduated high school on a Friday in June, 1976, drove to my dad's place in Atlanta on Saturday, drove to Nashville on Sunday, registered for summer session on Monday. Received 14 hours AP credit from my AP tests, plus the 12 hours I got in summer school meant I was four hours short of a full year when everyone else was just starting. Picked up the additional four hours in the next three years and graduated June 1999. Been working ever since.

Last edited:
Started my degree in ‘78 and ended up with an AAS in the summer of ‘81. Started back to school in ‘84 on in Aero Eng. but got flattened by Diff Eq.

Dif Eq. Took Calc 2 as an undergrad, dropped it midterm cuz I was failing and got an INC. Took it again, F. Grad school accepted me, but upon acceptance said I needed to pass Dif Eq to get my degree. Great. Looks like I'm screwed. Took Calc 2 in grad school, but at a community college, and passed; Professor was awesome. Took Diff Eq, and passed even more easily. It was the teacher, not the student. Sad that this story many times does not have as happy an ending.

logo-300x155.jpg

Sorry Bryan. Seems my alma mater (Troy) spanked your school 50-3 last Saturday.

University of Kansas Class of 2000. Bachelors in Music (BM) - Vocal Performance

Started in the 70s, finished in the 70s. I got it done as quickly as possible because I wanted to get out in the real world. Ironically, it was the university flying club I joined that provided my with a start to my future career. It certainly was not the content of my major.

Started in 1977. Finished in 1992.

Best 15 years of my life......

(Ok, all part time student)

Which college and which degree? Any time I'm out of work (welcome to government contracting) I head over to the local university and take a class or two. It's how I learned to fly (waiting for my security clearance), started A&P school (contract got cancelled), got the Masters (company went under), started on the PhD (another company went under) and so on. I've pretty much "started" college in lots of decades.

Started in 2002. Decided to stop spinning my wheels in 2005. I struggled in college. Not with the curriculum, but I couldn't find anything about it that interested me in the least. Though I was on the presidents honor roll, I threw up a big peace sign and went to work after 3.5 years. I left there with no degree, but I left with the love of my life.

Dif Eq. Took Calc 2 as an undergrad, dropped it midterm cuz I was failing and got an INC. Took it again, F. Grad school accepted me, but upon acceptance said I needed to pass Dif Eq to get my degree. Great. Looks like I'm screwed. Took Calc 2 in grad school, but at a community college, and passed; Professor was awesome. Took Diff Eq, and passed even more easily. It was the teacher, not the student. Sad that this story many times does not have as happy an ending.

It really does make a difference. I failed miserably at my first attempt at Calculus 1. The professor was a jerk who thought it was a good idea to have students show each other how to solve problems instead of him, you know, teaching. He also assumed we had already taken Calculus in high school and that the class was a "refresher", which was not the case with me.

Thought I was done with math until a friend convinced me to take it with the professor he had taken it with. Got an A. Got all A's and B's on every math since. Even got the highest grade in my class in differential equations.

Back