I'm Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
mental illness may have biological origins...in other words, the person may not have a choice because of their illness

That would be the exceptional case, unless you consider being an ******* a hereditary trait.

Amen. And it's the type of thing that no one would have noticed if he hadn't started complaining about it. If someone casually dropped into the middle of a post that "steingar's" real name is "Fawn Liebewitz" no one would notice unless "steingar" made a big stink about it.

I had NO IDEA tha Fawn Hall's real name was liebowitz, and the she was a pilot that posted on POA. Steingar, you have my admiration! :):yes::D

edit: I think I may have just dated myself, in that most of you have NO IDEA who Fawn Hall is. :dunno:

I had NO IDEA tha Fawn Hall's real name was liebowitz, and the she was a pilot that posted on POA. Steingar, you have my admiration! :):yes::D

edit: I think I may have just dated myself, in that most of you have NO IDEA who Fawn Hall is. :dunno:

Had use the googles for her, but I do remember that incident.

i prob dated myself also. I doubt too many of the younger posters here have watched animal house.

i prob dated myself also. I doubt too many of the younger posters here have watched animal house.

Obviously Captain didn't.

automotivator_remain-calm-1380645949.jpg

Who could have thought that in absence, someone could have brought such joy to so many. Gosh - this thread has been fun!

Oh, and can you find five dates for my friends?

There are only people who choose to be incompatible, it's not a genetic issue.

Agreed, but I don't think that distinction matters in the "include/exclude being better for the group" debate. If they are going to choose to be a detriment to a group, or are forced by their biology, the group is still better off with them not being a part of it.

I could see a valid argument for the group to make a sacrifice and accept a detrimental individual who couldn't help themselves, simply as an act of charity, but even that would have limits based on the balance of detriment vs. desire to be charitable.

A statement in the absolute that all groups are always better off with a 100% inclusion bias simply does not match up with the facts of my own life experiences. If such a statement were repeated unchallenged, and then believed by other individuals, that would lead to a greater bias toward decisions that are likely to be detrimental to groups to which I belong. That is the reason that I not only disagree with Stiengar, but also have the desire to make that disagreement known publically.

EDIT: I really should read the thread post-by-post before responding to individual posts out of context. Live and learn!

Last edited:
Agreed, but I don't think that distinction matters in the "include/exclude being better for the group" debate. If they are going to choose to be a detriment to a group, or are forced by their biology, the group is still better off with them not being a part of it.

I could see a valid argument for the group to make a sacrifice and accept a detrimental individual who couldn't help themselves, simply as an act of charity, but even that would have limits based on the balance of detriment vs. desire to be charitable.

A statement in the absolute that all groups are always better off with a 100% inclusion bias simply does not match up with the facts of my own life experiences. If such a statement were repeated unchallenged, and then believed by other individuals, that would lead to a greater bias toward decisions that are likely to be detrimental to groups to which I belong. That is the reason that I not only disagree with Stiengar, but also have the desire to make that disagreement known publically.

I don't know...you sure do talk a lot like Steingar.

I don't know...you sure do talk a lot like Steingar.

I always wanted to be an academic, but after my Master's, I thought it was about time to find a job and pay some bills. Maybe I should have studied something other than Finance, Real Estate, and Accounting, 'cuz at that point in time I figure out that my finances were in a bad place, my real estate was worth less than I owed on it, and people would actually pay me to do accounting.:dunno:

EDIT: BTW, even tough I disagree with him fairly often, I take your observation as a compliment. I apologize to you if you did not mean it as such.

Last edited:
Everyone here offers something, brings something to the table. If you have thin skin don't go into the SZ. It should be called the No Spin Zone.

No way Captain would go there if it was called the No Spin Zone.

Here's why:
No+Spin+Zone.jpg

We have a lot of OReilly books on our book shelf. He spends as much time writing as talking, I think.

FUnny thing is that the person that O.P. fingered in his first post of the thread is NOT a Mod. O.P. seems to think he's a mod, but he's not. So O.P. has left a pile of poop in this thread & left the forum on the incorrect assumption of who is or is not a mod.

Sad and amusing at the same time.

For the record the following folks are mods: Spike, Mari, Greg, Jesse, Jason, AdamZ, and myself.

I thought Brian Williams was a mod. At least that's what he said on Letterman...

:rofl:

Bitter farewell threads are banned, locked, and/or deleted on most other forums.

If a mod revealed his name or other personal info he wished not revealed, that is NOT COOL.

Identity theft, track you down and kill you, or rob you, or other things can happen. If anyone thinks otherwise, they've never been a victim of a nefarious violent person. It takes skills to bust an IP, and most people don't have it. But google will put someone at your door with just your name. That's why I don't use it. :redface:

Bitter farewell threads are banned, locked, and/or deleted on most other forums.

If a mod revealed his name or other personal info he wished not revealed, that is NOT COOL.

Identity theft, track you down and kill you, or rob you, or other things can happen. If anyone thinks otherwise, they've never been a victim of a nefarious violent person. It takes skills to bust an IP, and most people don't have it. But google will put someone at your door with just your name. That's why I don't use it. :redface:

A first name alone isn't overly sensitive information.

As to the particular event Captain is referring to - which occurred almost THREE years ago - one of our management council members quoted a post on this forum in a public thread that was aviation related. He then wrote a response to what he quoted that was aviation related as well. In that response he used Captain's first name. He was not aware that Captain's first name was a secret or that Captain would be upset about it.

The Management Council member learned his first name because it was used in a private discussion that related to the particular member. We often times use people's first names because well that's the natural human thing to do.

The Management Council member had NO idea that Captain would be upset by using his first name on the forum. He had no idea that his first name was something he wanted to keep protected. We've never ran into that on this site before. Usually a first name is no big deal. We apologized for our mistake. Captain has brought this up again and again over the years. We can't undo what happened but what happened really was not a significant event.

Generally speaking people on this forum don't try to hide their first name and don't feel violated if someone used it. We've tried to be more careful since then.

The real lesson to be learned is that you shouldn't write anything on the internet that you wouldn't want to see printed in a newspaper with your name next to it. It takes extreme precaution and very careful procedure to really hide who you are on the internet. Even those that are damn good at it and understand the technical side still make mistakes. Silkroads DPR is a good example of that.

Three years ago or yesterday does not matter. In my mind it's a check box..."did forum management out you". The answer here is 'yes'.

Downplay the back story all you like. I had no idea at the time and from my perspective all I saw was a forum management poster out my name. Were you all talking about me back channel using my first name? Who knows and who cares. Maybe someone there could have asked where my name came form? My guess is you did, it was answered and then my name was outed.

To suggest the counsel member had no idea I'd prefer to keep my real name confidential is silly. Here's a tip...if someone doesn't give their name then maybe they don't want their name out there.

Lastly, third paragraph you mention you apologized for the mistake. I don't know who you apologized to but it sure as hell wasn't me. That's what makes the whole thing stink so much...I was just told over and over how I shouldn't be hiding my name and it's the internet, and all the while the site offers 'user names' and no disclaimer that your real name will be outed by management...who has access to your real name.

And now, the same group who outed me are siding with the guy who thinks it's funny to publicly call me a drunk...on a public pilot forum.

My advice, lawyer up.

Last edited:
A first name alone isn't overly sensitive information.

I probably couldn't find you, but with LDJones from Twin Cities MN I'll bet someone dedicated enough could go down the list and maybe get lucky.

I know nothing's totally anonymous on the web. With enough dedication, and time and money, your IP can be busted. But most ignorant criminals don't bother or have the skill. Heck, I've put pictures of my plane and it's N number on here, so I'm not anonymous.

What I have a problem with is a breach of trust if a mod gave out information only a mod had access to. That ain't cool. Please say it ain't so... :(

Three years ago or yesterday does not matter. In my mind it's a check box..."did forum management out you". The answer here is 'yes'.

Downplay the back story all you like. I had no idea at the time and from my perspective all I saw was a forum management poster out my name. Were you all talking about me back channel using my first name? Who knows and who cares. Maybe someone there could have asked where my name came form? My guess is you did, it was answered and then my name was outed.

To suggest the counsel member had no idea I'd prefer to keep my real name confidential is silly. Here's a tip...if someone doesn't give their name then maybe they don't want their name out there.

Lastly, third paragraph you mention you apologized for the mistake. I don't know who you apologized to but it sure as hell wasn't me. That's what makes the whole thing stink so much...I was just told over and over how I shouldn't be hiding my name and it's the internet, and all the while the site offers 'user names' and no disclaimer that your real name will be outed by management...who has access to your real name.

And now, the same group who outed me are siding with the guy who thinks it's funny to publicly call me a drunk...on a public pilot forum.

My advice, lawyer up.

What is the reason for a need to "lawyer up"?

I probably couldn't find you, but with LDJones from Twin Cities MN I'll bet someone dedicated enough could go down the list and maybe get lucky.

I know nothing's totally anonymous on the web. With enough dedication, and time and money, your IP can be busted. But most ignorant criminals don't bother or have the skill. Heck, I've put pictures of my plane and it's N number on here, so I'm not anonymous.

What I have a problem with is a breach of trust if a mod gave out information only a mod had access to. That ain't cool. Please say it ain't so... :(

They wouldn't have to be all that great a sleuth to find me since my first and last name plus airports I fly out of are posted in several thousand signature lines on POA already!

They wouldn't have to be all that great a sleuth to find me since my first and last name plus airports I fly out of are posted in several thousand signature lines on POA already!

Ha! didn't notice your sig line Loran.

I'm Mark.

That's all you're gonna get. :)

My advice, lawyer up.

And you promised you were gone, damn, looks like you aren't a man of your word. Can't say I'm surprised.

You do know there are a couple lawyers that are moderators don't you? You do know there is nothing meaningful a lawyer can do for you in this situation, don't you? You can have a lawyer write a nasty letter but that's about it.

HTH "captain" and HAND

How does that work with ISPs that have dynamic IP addressing?

Beats me. I hope it's another layer of protection.

I've seen people get furious on other boards and threaten to find people and **** them up.

"I'll kill you, your wife, your friends, and burn your GD house down!" ;):lol:

unforgiven_5.jpg

Someone call a waaambulance !

Captain certainly received a lot of attention with 3,942 hits and 190 posts in 28 hours.

With 6,887 posts (6.5 per day) Captain has touched a lot of people on the Pilots of America Message Board.

I find that often when someone annoys me it is because it is a reflection of something I don’t like in myself.

I have found that harboring resentment is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die so I try to seize the day instead.

I have learned a lot about people on the board from this thread.

My advice, lawyer up.

wpid-6a00e54ef51d7688340120a650b360970b-800wi.jpg

My advice, lawyer up.

You're just shredding whatever small amount of credibility you might have retained. No one but you thinks a first name is a identifier.

Three things:

1) I knew he'd be back
2) Saying your name is not an item that gives rise to civil liability. Screw your lawyer and the horse he rode in on
3) If you think me saying "I think you're a drunk" is somehow actionable defamation, be my guest and try.

The loss of any member of a community makes said community that much smaller and that much poorer. I mean that for everyone whether I agree with them or not. Heck, I even mean that for Ed.

Yep. Almost always.

ha ha ha that is funny.

The comedic homosexual references while controversial and often viewed in a negative light are in this sense used in such a way as to make me laugh.

I also do not mean to imply that only homosexuals use astro glide or that pilots cannot be female.

I now feel shame for having made that connection.
It was wrong and I do feel very sorry.

I will work to make sure I do not interperate things improperly in the future. All people are equal.

I now see how Mr. Cracker might have just been implying that I am the type that might help a distressed person a jam and that I have ingenuity in the sense that I might think to use something like a personal lubricant to perhaps help a stranded female pilot pack some bearings until she could get back to a shop and get a proper fix.

:D

I dont think he is 'down'. There have been times in the past when he was truly down, I believe his airline folded or something. I dont think the tantrum that started this thread is a sign of him being 'down', just another insight in his child-like personality.

Meh. We all have our good days and our bad ones.

"captain" is Putin?

I *KNEW* there was something uber-manly about him!

Thanks for the insight, Jesse. He beat that dog so hard for so long, I thought the MC also disclosed his SSN and his mother's maiden name.

Shoe size?

I used to date myself, but it got kinda old...

Who could have thought that in absence, someone could have brought such joy to so many. Gosh - this thread has been fun!

Oh, and can you find five dates for my friends?

You mind if we dance with your dates?

Long term lurker here and I do remember the thread in question and I also remember that Captain changed his online name to include his first name then later changed it back. So he participated in outing himself if revealing a first name is indeed outing. It isn't outing of course...

I kind of enjoy many of his posts. A lot of pure crap but that can be said for most of you also. Lighten up, it's just an internet forum.

Three years ago or yesterday does not matter.

Actually, yes it most certainly does...especially given your advice to "Lawyer up"

Most states require you to initiate proceedings within one year of becoming aware of either a breach of contract or tort. So, from a "Lawyer up" perspective, 3 years is ancient history.

Yet another field of endeavour in which you appear to be woefully uninformed.

(For your reference, the "appear to be" makes that statement a clear statement of opinion, and as such, I have no need to lawyer up, as statements of opinion are not actionable as defamation...I'll save you the embarrassment of taking that to a lawyer to be laughed at)

What I got from this thread is Captain is a lying sack of ****.

Feel free to sue me, you third grade acting *****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back