I'm Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Then why does this exist?? :confused::dunno:

attachment.php

Good question.:dunno: Probably because running this board is not a paid position and someone forgot to turn it off at some point. At this point though, that bank of settings should probably be reviewed.

We must respectfully agree to disagree. Every participant brings a unique viewpoint that can add to the discussion. I would miss anyone, even those with whom I have significant rancor.

Once again, this is not about Captain, but there are groups and individuals that are incompatible, and believing otherwise is naïve and likely to lead to voluntarily subjecting yourself to harm.

Here is a simple, but extreme example. Group = free society, and individual = psychopathalogical, sadistic, rapist/murderer who is currently incarcerated. What benefit are you going to get by not excluding that individual?

I posit that there is a lot of real territory that we are likely to encounter in our everyday lives that lies on the same side of the include/exclude divide as the ad absurdium example does. For that reason, I think it is an improvement, and not a loss when certain individuals are no longer participants in a community. Likewise it is a loss and not an improvement when others no longer participate.

If I am understanding your comments, you do not agree with the above.

There are only people who choose to be incompatible, it's not a genetic issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_fraud

While using your real name may seem like a good way of telling the world that you have nothing to hide and that you can be trusted, it's actually fairly naive. You may view those on this forum as people that you interact with frequently and have grown to trust - and the 10 or 20 people you "meet" here may very well be trustworthy to the very end. But google private pilot forum and PoA is at the very top of over 5 million results. Now take a look at who's currently browsing PoA and tell me that all of them - all of the hundreds of members and thousands of "guests" (the ones that are human, anyway) that are right now crawling all over this site, are completely trustworthy with your personal information.

This forum gets heated over the most inane things imaginable. If it hasn't happened yet, it will happen eventually - someone will get so fired up about something stupid here that they will mine the site for information and then they'll reach out and screw with someone in real life. Think stuff like this never goes on? It does.

Thank you for the thoughtful advice.

I use my real name because I am comfortable with my real name.

I don’t feel there is a way to manage life anonymously.

I can’t imagine not introducing myself because I don’t trust strangers.

It is my observation that there is not much protection in using screen names.

I feel a little distant not being able to use someone’s name when I respond to them.

I don’t have a smart phone and I don’t use Fore Flight so I suspect I am behind the times and I may one day discover the wisdom of your advice.

In the meantime I am grateful for all the knowledge I find here.

One of the things I love about aviation is so many pilots willing help people on their aviation adventure.

Drama queen exits stage left.

I have him on ignore. I am not in the spin-zone, but his constant 'is this ____ a jerk' and other inane threads in the regular forums really cluttered up the place.

Well, he'll be back. The narcicists who stomp their feet and take their toys to go home are always back after a couple of weeks. There is a 100% chance that he is following the thread.

Awww, Captain will be ok. He'll be back. Some of you guys really need to learn not to kick a guy when he is down.

Awww, Captain will be ok. He'll be back. Some of you guys really need to learn not to kick a guy when he is down.

Who says he's down?

We all know damn well that he logged himself out and is periodically checking on these threads and soothing in self-gratification of how much people are talking about him.

I dont think he is 'down'. There have been times in the past when he was truly down, I believe his airline folded or something. I dont think the tantrum that started this thread is a sign of him being 'down', just another insight in his child-like personality.

Who says he's down?

We all know damn well that he logged himself out and is periodically checking on these threads and soothing in self-gratification of how much people are talking about him.

You think he's just looking for attention?

You think he's just looking for attention?

Always has, always will.

Last night at girl-scouts, one of the little sisters roaming around the place dug her moms car-keys out of the large purse and hit the panic button. Of course, mom who who was doing some crafts thing with the scouts had to drop everything, pick up the little one and go out to disable the alarm. The kid was beaming, mission accomplished: She knew, just push this red button here and get 3 minutes of undivided attention. It's really the same thing.

I dont think he is 'down'. There have been times in the past when he was truly down, I believe his airline folded or something. I dont think the tantrum that started this thread is a sign of him being 'down', just another insight in his child-like personality.

Let's analyze a bit further. Professional pilot participates on a pilot board that allows anonymity, yet at a point in the past, his identy was published on this board by a management person, so now his true identy is public on this board, and POA has probably the highest ranking in aviation stuff on Google and is searchable. So, Captain has lost the specter of anonymity on this board, he was outed, I know no other person who has received such treatment here, and I've been here from the beginning. Now we have multiple accusations of him being a drunk. So we have created here a situation where a prospective employer in the aviation industry doing a web search on Captain can come across this stuff, "Oh, he's a drunk."

There are unintended consequences to every action, people need to take that into consideration.

Let's analyze a bit further. Professional pilot participates on a pilot board that allows anonymity, yet at a point in the past, his identy was published on this board by a management person, so now his true identy is public on this board, and POA has probably the highest ranking in aviation stuff on Google and is searchable. So, Captain has lost the specter of anonymity on this board, he was outed, I know no other person who has received such treatment here, and I've been here from the beginning. Now we have multiple accusations of him being a drunk. So we have created here a situation where a prospective employer in the aviation industry doing a web search on Captain can come across this stuff, "Oh, he's a drunk."

There are unintended consequences to every action, people need to take that into consideration.

You weren't paying very close attention.

I did not engage him at all, but he seemed to bring a lot of the grief on himself, so to blame everyone else for his demeanor is really not correct. Nothing is anonymous on the web. NOTHING. If you post it, it can be traced back to you, so if you know that going into it, then don't post things that will come back to haunt you.

Good question.:dunno: Probably because running this board is not a paid position and someone forgot to turn it off at some point. At this point though, that bank of settings should probably be reviewed.

Nate is technically, in the software, a moderator of the "Mile High Flyers" which is a forum on our site dedicated to his now dead podcast he used to do.

He does not have privileges in the system other than very limited privileges in that particular forum.

As part of some planned changes and upgrades to the website we are looking at removing all the podcast dedicated forums as the idea never panned out.

The *only* enhanced privileges he has is the ability to close a thread that is created in the "Mile High Flyers" forum. I guess a side effect is he can't be ignored.

As to the particular event Captain is referring to - which occurred almost THREE years ago - one of our management council members quoted a post on this forum in a public thread that was aviation related. He then wrote a response to what he quoted that was aviation related as well. In that response he used Captain's first name. He was not aware that Captain's first name was a secret or that Captain would be upset about it.

The Management Council member learned his first name because it was used in a private discussion that related to the particular member. We often times use people's first names because well that's the natural human thing to do.

The Management Council member had NO idea that Captain would be upset by using his first name on the forum. He had no idea that his first name was something he wanted to keep protected. We've never ran into that on this site before. Usually a first name is no big deal. We apologized for our mistake. Captain has brought this up again and again over the years. We can't undo what happened but what happened really was not a significant event.

Generally speaking people on this forum don't try to hide their first name and don't feel violated if someone used it. We've tried to be more careful since then.

Henning said:
The real lesson to be learned is that you shouldn't write anything on the internet that you wouldn't want to see printed in a newspaper with your name next to it. It takes extreme precaution and very careful procedure to really hide who you are on the internet. Even those that are damn good at it and understand the technical side still make mistakes. Silkroads DPR is a good example of that.

Last edited:

Well, he started out using 'captain firstname' as his handle, that sort of eliminated any idea of anonymity.

If anonymity was something he valued, then deleting the 'compromised' profile and starting to post under a new handle would have been an option. But no, that would have required to give up on all the posts he had racked up in the meantime :wink2:

If he didn't want people to think that he posts inebriated he should probably refrain from posting incoherent political rants in response to non-political threads, the kind of stuff your average 'drunk uncle' would usually do.

There are only people who choose to be incompatible, it's not a genetic issue.

mental illness may have biological origins...in other words, the person may not have a choice because of their illness

What a silly idea

Nothing on the internet is anonymous. If you don't want people tracing back to you, then don't join publicly searchable web forums and create thousands of controversial posts.

OTOH if you stand out on a street corner stark naked waving a neon sign that says "look at me look at me" you can't then complain about lack of privacy.

The Management Council member learned his first name because it was used in a private discussion that related to the particular member. We often times use people's first names because well that's the natural human thing to do.

The Management Council member had NO idea that Captain would be upset by using his first name on the forum. He had no idea that his first name was something he wanted to keep protected. We've never ran into that on this site before. Usually a first name is no big deal. We apologized for our mistake. Captain has brought this up again and again over the years. We can't undo what happened but what happened really was not a significant event.

Then it was a simple and very understandable mistake and Captain should have gotten over it quickly and moved. I've moved on from far, far worse.

Then it was a simple and very understandable mistake and Captain should have gotten over it quickly and moved. I've moved on from far, far worse.

Yeah, but you don't suffer from narcissistic personality disorder.

Here's my good deed for the day. Since the topic of people finding each other on the internet is such a touchy onr, here is a guide of common search engines and how to opt out of them.

Attachments

• How to Opt Out of People Search Engines.docx
    78.7 KB · Views: 10
Amen. And it's the type of thing that no one would have noticed if he hadn't started complaining about it. If someone casually dropped into the middle of a post that "steingar's" real name is "Fawn Liebewitz" no one would notice unless "steingar" made a big stink about it.

If a prospective employer searches this forum for Captain, he has more to worry about than some anonymous poster speculating on his personal habits, of which they have no knowledge.

Amen. And it's the type of thing that no one would have noticed if he hadn't started complaining about it. If someone casually dropped into the middle of a post that "steingar's" real name is "Fawn Liebewitz" no one would notice unless "steingar" made a big stink about it.

Nice to finally know your name Fawn!

Dunno, I'm pretty certain I've been accused of that once or twice.

Nah, you're an arrogant and over-bearing Ivory Tower academic, but not narcissistic. :D

For example, if I ****ed you off to the point of you leaving, I'd bet you'd just go, not post a screed about how you were depriving POA of your witty repartee.

Nah, you're an arrogant and over-bearing Ivory Tower academic, but not narcissistic. :D

Apparently you know me all too well.

For example, if I ****ed you off to the point of you leaving, I'd bet you'd just go, not post a screed about how you were depriving POA of your witty repartee.

Actually I have taken unannounced sabbaticals on more than one occasion and likely will do so again at some point.

As to the particular event Captain is referring to - which occurred almost THREE years ago - one of our management council members quoted a post on this forum in a public thread that was aviation related. He then wrote a response to what he quoted that was aviation related as well. In that response he used Captain's first name. He was not aware that Captain's first name was a secret or that Captain would be upset about it.

Generally speaking people on this forum don't try to hide their first name and don't feel violated if someone used it. We've tried to be more careful since then.

The real lesson to be learned is that you shouldn't write anything on the internet that you wouldn't want to see printed in a newspaper with your name next to it. It takes extreme precaution and very careful procedure to really hide who you are on the internet. Even those that are damn good at it and understand the technical side still make mistakes. Silkroads DPR is a good example of that.

Thanks for the insight, Jesse. He beat that dog so hard for so long, I thought the MC also disclosed his SSN and his mother's maiden name.

Thank you. Having Diet Pepsi come though you nose really burns. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back