I voted today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt there is *some* fraud, but not enough to swing the election, particularly because the people committing the fraud are just as likely to be on one side as the other. Neither side has the moral upper hand, and that goes for their supporters as well as the candidates.

I have no doubt there is *some* fraud, but not enough to swing the election, particularly because the people committing the fraud are just as likely to be on one side as the other. Neither side has the moral upper hand, and that goes for their supporters as well as the candidates.
Do you think a move towards a more constitutional America and a move to distance America from its constitution are both morally neutral directions?

I drove by our voting place today(the only one in town, the big event center) and the parking lot was almost packed. good to see.

Going to be a long day for CNN I think, Wolf ****zer might just have a stroke on air today.

i-voted.jpg

Rich

Do you think a move towards a more constitutional America and a move to distance America from its constitution are both morally neutral directions?
Depends which part of the Constitution you favor:
- freedom of religion
- Congressional duty to advise/consent on Supreme Court nominees
- a woman's right to choose
- equal voting rights

We each have our priorities, I respect yours - you respect mine?

- freedom of religion
- equal voting rights

The Constitution as constructed and amended.

I would have to know what your priorities are before I can determine whether I respect them or not.

People have different interpretations about the constitution. I accept that. It's not that I don't have my own ideas, but I accept that some have other ideas.

People have different interpretations about the constitution. I accept that. It's not that I don't have my own ideas, but I accept that some have other ideas.
Ok, you don't have to continue to answer if you don't want but I was questioning your statement that neither side has the upper hand morally. Do you not believe your opinions to be morally superior? Or, do you see it as more of a Kit-kat vs. Twix kind of choice?

The Constitution as constructed and amended.

I would have to know what your priorities are before I can determine whether I respect them or not.
.....not what I'd consider an open minded approach. Democracy works when we can accept differing points of view but abide by the majority decision reached in a constitutional manner.

.....not what I'd consider an open minded approach.

There are limits to my "open mindedness" the same as there are for yours.

Democracy works when we can accept differing points of view but abide by the majority decision reached in a constitutional manner.

So, decisions reached and enforced apart from the constitutional process should not be accepted?

That would get us into a circular argument. Not going there.

Relative to open mindedness - I will consider and respect all differing points of view. Some, you would have to agree, can be discarded without further ado, but still respected as a point of view.

It's not circular. It's moving in the direction of auhority, where we would have gotten with a few more questions. But, I'm happy to let it go.
Relative to open mindedness - I will consider and respect all differing points of view. Some, you would have to agree, can be discarded without further ado, but still respected as a point of view.

I doubt you would respect ALL differing opinions. So my answer to your questions is yes. Some, but not all.:)

Respect, as relevant - yes.
Agree with - not necessarily.

- freedom of religion
- equal voting rights

It's not a à la carte menu.

Those are my rights (not privileges) they are not open to debate, now if someone doesn't want to exercise THEIR rights, that's their choice, but when someone attempts to say what rights other can exercise, that is where we have a problem.

James (libertarian)

Ok, you don't have to continue to answer if you don't want but I was questioning your statement that neither side has the upper hand morally. Do you not believe your opinions to be morally superior? Or, do you see it as more of a Kit-kat vs. Twix kind of choice?

Other people's opinions are not immoral.

Other people's opinions are not immoral.
Some of them are. I'm happy to demonstrate if you disagree.

If you are saying that other opinions are not immoral just BECAUSE they are someone else's opinions and they differ from mine, I agree.

Yuuuge line this morning at the local polling location, but completely dead now. I think the majority of folks did early voting, as I did.

My polling place is as crowded as I've ever seen it. I turned around and came home. I'll try again after lunch. I'm not sure what that means, but I would guess it is in favor of DT.

My polling place is as crowded as I've ever seen it. I turned around and came home. I'll try again after lunch. I'm not sure what that means, but I would guess it is in favor of DT.

Depends on where you are voting. The analytics can pinpoint who they are voting for.

Education levels, or more accurately, lack thereof, driving Trump votes.

Color of skin and frequency of sitting while urinating driving Clinton votes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went around 1030-1100 and although crowded more than usual, we got thru in about 15-20 minutes. Took awhile to read all the ****ing 14 Amendments to the Alabama Constitution, even though I knew in advance what my vote was gonna be.

Depends on where you are voting. The analytics can pinpoint who they are voting for.

Education levels, or more accurately, lack thereof, driving Trump votes.

Color of skin and frequency of sitting while urinating driving Clinton votes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think the education level thing needs to be addressed in the media, I live in a college town and I am faaaaar from impressed with what "college educated" means nowadays.

I'm more interested in metrics like home ownership, income level, type of profession, level of independence from government and parents, if they've lived abroad, etc.

Just woke up after my mid shift last night. Going to go null out a certain member of my immediate family's vote. This vote is like choosing whether you'd like someone to pour acid on your hand or hit it with a hammer. :sigh:

So what's the rules on closing the polls? It's 8 o'clock, the line is going around the block. Is there law that says that's it, no more voting?

Edit: in at least one state, if your already in line, you vote. Probably that way everywhere

Last edited:
I did answer you. You just didn't like the answer I gave and want to push me into another one. Not happening.

One of the pleasures of living in a state that is so one sided towards one of the candidates is that I don't have to watch any ads because there aren't any. :D
Head-scratcher: California is perpetually dark blue, and yet there are still loads of Trump & Clinton ads...maybe for down-ballot effect? Both campaigns could've better spent their money elsewhere. Did Trump ever pony up that extra $35 million to make it a nice round $100 million? He claims he's worth $10 BILLION, so $100 million would only be 1 percent of his income. So much for a self-funded campaign.

Just woke up after my mid shift last night. Going to go null out a certain member of my immediate family's vote. This vote is like choosing whether you'd like someone to pour acid on your hand or hit it with a hammer. :sigh:

I have a friend on the opposite side of the aisle, and I thought that since we'd cancel each other out, we could agree not to vote and save a stamp on the mail-in ballot. But, naw, feels so good to cast your ballot and feel 'Murican. Plus, propositions.

So what's the rules on closing the polls? It's 8 o'clock, the line is going around the block. Is there law that says that's it, no more voting?

Everyone who is physically in line at 8 o'clock gets to cast a vote, even if it takes till midnight.

Please do not make this thread into a political argument! Lets not dip our toes into the spin zone please.

I did answer you. You just didn't like the answer I gave and want to push me into another one. Not happening.
I worded my response poorly. I recognize your answer, I just wanted more clarification on your initial post.

Please do not make this thread into a political argument! Lets not dip our toes into the spin zone please.
Come on, just this once? It's election day, surely we can spin it a little while we all await the results? Tomorrow, we'll all be friends again.:)

Think the education level thing needs to be addressed in the media, I live in a college town and I am faaaaar from impressed with what "college educated" means nowadays.

I'm more interested in metrics like home ownership, income level, type of profession, level of independence from government and parents, if they've lived abroad, etc.

Whether you impressed or not in the quality, the fact remains that having a degree or not is a demographic line that pollsters can and do collect.

With respect to Education levels:
This campaign seems poised to shatter that record and accelerate the class realignment of the two parties’ coalitions. From the outset of his candidacy, Trump has established a visceral connection with many non-college-educated white voters, especially men. Competing in a 17-person field in the GOP primary, Trump still won nearly half of all non-college-educated Republicans; he has led Clinton, usually by gaping margins, among that group in virtually every general-election national survey.

For Hillary:
Hillary Clinton appears poised to break that record: Almost all pre-election polls have shown her leading among college-educated whites. She seems virtually certain to at least double, if not triple, the widest Democratic advantage ever among college-educated white women, which was Gore’s 8 percentage points in 2000. As of Saturday, the ABC News/Washington Posttracking poll gave her a thumping 25-percentage-point lead with these women.

With respect to skin color:
A CBS News poll released last week found that Mr. Trump has just 4 percent support of black likely voters in the four-way race with Hillary Clinton, the Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson, and Jill Stein, the Green Party nominee. (Mrs. Clinton had the support of 85 percent.) Exit polls for the previous four elections showed Republican candidates receiving 4 to 11 percent support from black voters.

Among likely Hispanic voters, Clinton earns 65 percent of support compared to Trump’s 17 percent, the poll finds. Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson earned 9 percent while Green Party candidate Jill Stein has 2.

A vast majority of Hispanics surveyed – 8 in 10 – have negative views of the Republican nominee. Seven in 10 have “very negative” feelings of Trump, according to the poll, while only 15 percent have a somewhat or very positive view of him.

While pollsters could ask questions about home ownership, income level, type of profession, level of independence from government and parents, if they've lived abroad, etc it would do nothing to improve the accuracy of their polling models, and would be a waste of $$$ and resources when there are other demographic data points that are easier and better predictors.

The guy who thought his polling place was "busy" can likely understand the demographics of the voters in the polling place, and understand who they were voting for.

Dang - I forgot - our liquor stores are closed until 7pm. I wonder what time the line starts forming? Tonight could get painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back