I have a large re-route for you...

I’ve been enjoying their channel a lot recently. Real professionals.

Every altitude change, our pf says it after entering it, pnf looks at it & says it aloud again; helps catch that gotcha.

You know it’s a long re-route when the controller has to have another controller plug in and dump you off to another frequency to copy it. LOL.

About two minutes in...

Probably was about to enter another controller's sector, so that's most likely the reason for the frequency change. My guess anyway.

Probably was about to enter another controller's sector, so that's most likely the reason for the frequency change. My guess anyway.

Could be. I’d have to go back and see if they were handed back to the original frequency.

You gotta love reactions to the phrase, “I have a reroute for you, let me know when you’re ready to copy...” LOL. Nooooooooooooo!

I’ve been enjoying their channel a lot recently. Real professionals.

I just discovered this channel a month ago. The videos are great.

Yeah, they’re fun to watch.

He mentioned in the comments recently that they’ve been flying together for seven years and they really notice they both operate slower and less efficiently when flying with a different crew member.

Plus who doesn’t love watching an airplane where the “nutcracker” has to be checked before arming the ground spoilers! (I’m not going to explain that, he has a video on it already.)

Having the electronic checklist right there in the glare shield is also really nice.

The other videos that show a well oiled crew are Capt. Moonbeam’s videos when Mike is aboard. Those two also do it well. Mike’s southern drawl and smooth southern call outs always sound great. Ha.

Different vibe than Jon and Shaun but just as professional.

They got asked if they picked their callsign. Haha. Nope, just luck of the draw. But very funny.

Could be. I’d have to go back and see if they were handed back to the original frequency.

You gotta love reactions to the phrase, “I have a reroute for you, let me know when you’re ready to copy...” LOL. Nooooooooooooo!

Do it enough and ya get accustomed to it lol.

Do it enough and ya get accustomed to it lol.

I bet. Of course it’s easier with a “box” to type it into afterward to see if it’s sane.

Re-routes single-pilot without even electronic charts is like... “Oh great... standby...” LOL.

The really funny thing is a controller popped into the comments in YT and said, “We [other controllers] couldn’t figure out why they were re-routing all you guys that day!”

LOL.

The really funny thing is a controller popped into the comments in YT and said, “We [other controllers] couldn’t figure out why they were re-routing all you guys that day!”

LOL.
That’s too easy to figure out. NY approach controllers do it BECAUSE THEY CAN.

At least ATC did it right, doing it slow and spelling each waypoint.
Yup. Try copying a clearance from a controller that's working both tower and ground frequencies and has a busy pattern.

If your going to fly through New York’s airspace your going to get a route change or two.

That’s too easy to figure out. NY approach controllers do it BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Believe me, controllers don't like full route clearances (that's what was read) any more than pilots do. No sane controller would do it because they can.

Yup. Try copying a clearance from a controller that's working both tower and ground frequencies and has a busy pattern.

True. I was flying an ATR-72 into Ashville (AVL) one afternoon on final and couldn't get a word in to get a landing clearance. Did a go-around and had to make another pattern. Tower asked why we went around and I told him why (required). Filed a report and a few days later was flying to AVL again and had a FAA ops inspector on the jump seat. Said he was looking into why an airliner couldn't get a landing clearance. That was us I told him, and filled him in. Controller was so busy taxing and issuing clearances we couldn't get a landing clearance.

Believe me, controllers don't like full route clearances (that's what was read) any more than pilots do. No sane controller would do it because they can.
Please, that was a joke. No pilot appreciates what controllers do more than this one. Flying IFR in the northeast can be challenging and quite different than the rest of the country. I have no doubt some computer spits these clearances not some evil controller.

Before people start badmouthing controllers for doing that, a little personal insight. Some time in a controller's lifetime it just happens. I've been watch supervisor in a tower on a weekend where it was just me and one other controller. The other controller says "hey, nothing is going on, mind if I go down to the bathroom real quick?" "Sure, go ahead." says I not knowing that the other controller's intentions were to: bust a grumpy, clip a biscuit, sprout a tail, drop a deuce...you get the picture. Anyway, the second the door closes, someone calls ground control looking for their clearance. I walked over and start reading the clearance when a medical helicopter calls tower with a life guard flight needing to go through my airspace. I tell the guy on the ground to standby for the readback and walk back over to local (tower for you guys) and take care of the medevac...and so on and so on. It happens.

Please, that was a joke. No pilot appreciates what controllers do more than this one. Flying IFR in the northeast can be challenging and quite different than the rest of the country. I have no doubt some computer spits these clearances not some evil controller.

No offense taken and yes, it IS a computer that spits out the clearance.

No offense taken and yes, it IS a computer that spits out the clearance.

Computers make everything better. :)

I spent all day trying to get one to add “+1” to US phone numbers in e.164 format. Finally figured out that the stupid ISDN PRI wasn’t tagging the call as domestic/national. Got that fixed.

Oh well. They pay me to argue with software. :)

Was also testing our backup route to 911. Failed a bunch of times until I found the error. Then talked to a nice dispatcher and told her it wasn’t an emergency call but was a telephone system installer making sure 911 worked. All that fun jazz.

Funny thing was I forgot I set the phone system to email all the managers (a long time ago) whenever someone dials 911 and I dialed it... a lot... even though it wasn’t going through, on the backup SIP trunk.

There were a few texts on my cell I noticed later... “You alright? I keep getting 911 alerts from your desk at the office? Call me.” Hahaha. Oops. :)

Will someone please explain why the left seat takes his hands off the yoke for rollout and the right seat cups the yoke.

Will someone please explain why the left seat takes his hands off the yoke for rollout and the right seat cups the yoke.

On takeoff, the captain is steering with the tiller (left hand) up to 80 knots or so. So the FO holds the yoke until the captain can release the tiller. Just the opposite for landing, with the captain switching to the tiller as they slow.

On takeoff, the captain is steering with the tiller (left hand) up to 80 knots or so. So the FO holds the yoke until the captain can release the tiller. Just the opposite for landing, with the captain switching to the tiller as they slow.
Never used the tiller to 80 knots. Used it to align with the runway, then used rudder pedal steering as takeoff power was applied. On landing rudder pedal steering until turn-off point, then tiller to make the larger turn.

Never used the tiller to 80 knots. Used it to align with the runway, then used rudder pedal steering as takeoff power was applied. On landing rudder pedal steering until turn-off point, then tiller to make the larger turn.

Regardless, it’s what these guys do, as you can see from their videos.

Same. On landing around 60 knots I’ll get back on the tiller. Sometimes I’ll let the FO turn off on the high speed with the rudders. We get a nosewheel steering master caution if we use the tiller and rudders simultaneously.

Tiller used mainly for taxing, lining up, in conjunction w/ rudder pedals for tight turns, etc.

I don't know anything about small biz jets. I do know that airlines tend to be more standardized.

From what I’ve been able to read, the 80 knot tiller/yoke swap is the procedure specified in the airplane flight manual. That’s pretty standardized.

From what I’ve been able to read, the 80 knot tiller/yoke swap is the procedure specified in the airplane flight manual. That’s pretty standardized.

Yup. They also call out “60 knots and the hold” in the G IV which is where the autothrottles go into hold mode and they check that they set power correctly for the takeoff.

Very standardized.

They explain it in an earlier podcast. It has something to do with the weight on wheels switch to prevent inadvertent gear retraction on roll out. They just don't explain why its called what it's called. The button is clearly labeled as such.

Thanks Brian for posting that. It had been a little while and although I knew it was weight on wheels, I'd forgotten that it was for spoiler deployment.

I like the video where LA Center tells them they're big fans of theirs over the radio. They were pretty excited about that. Sounds like DM tower is a fan too.

Yep, several are on my subscribe list. It can get pretty lonely and boring sometimes all by yourself.

Thanks Brian for posting that. It had been a little while and although I knew it was weight on wheels, I'd forgotten that it was for spoiler deployment.

Yup. Their “you have six lights” call on landing is the six lights monitoring each ground spoiler. If one or more don’t deploy you probably have a directional control issue as well as a landing distance issue. Three on each wing.

But his story about the damn things deploying 50’ up causing someone a very bad day in a different Gulfstream sure sounds awful. Yikes. Talk about falling out of the sky.

In some aircraft there’s multiple weight on wheels switches and a couple of them have to activate before things happen, just to cover that sort of single point failure possibility. In that airplane you apparently just have to ask it if it thinks it’s in ground mode before arming the ground spoilers.

A friend shared the other day that he managed (luck) to grease one on so nicely in an airliner that the spoilers did NOT deploy at first. Just enough weight off of the wheels that the airplane didn’t know it was on the ground yet. His international reserve pilot sitting in back joked with him that he’d never seen the airplane not know it was on the ground before. Haha.

It’s a sure sign of a lightly landed greaser in nice conditions if the boards don’t pop up in some aircraft. :)

I didn’t ask him if he just deployed them himself before the airplane got around to it. I assume so.

He said they heard the wheels spin up and none of the landing automation did anything. Ha. Didn’t really dawn on them at first as to why. Probably just pulled the handle and give the indicators an evil eye making sure something wasn’t really wrong. A couple seconds later you’d realize why.

Oooh. It really was that smooth of a landing... :)

Back