I got reported to the FAA (not a ******* Satire)

Maybe so, but his reaction was still over the top imo.I got counseled at work last week over "attitude" too. My kindergartener may be getting picked on by the teacher because I disagreed with her at the PTA conference. My wife left the military in disgust over supervisor maltreatment, again the ol' complaint about "attitude". Never performance, never content, "attitude".We hear dogwhistle well in this house, we ain't new. Look, if we had to seek grievance for every time a petty human takes exception to our utterances, mannerisms or opinion, Jesus Christ might as well shut it all down and have a Snickers, cuz we ain't going anywhere for a while.

Fact remains, the world is riddled with cowards and thin-skinned people, and I'm too old to become ice cream for a living and be everything to everyone. You can't spend your entire life strategically walking on eggshells for fears of upsetting someone. Not every disagreement you have you someone leads to your financial destitution; that's just spineless fears. Humans are petty, noted. I consider that a sunk cost.
I’ll be your huckleberry

Funny ballbustin' thread...read the whole damn thing. The FAA is truly populated with a bunch of diickheads. I have dealt with more than a few over a 25+Yr career in aviation. The only guys that seem to have their heads screwed on right were in the higher management positions. It was the average field guy that thought he was all powerful that caused most of the problems. Same story in the corporate world. One can call them on a whole lot of their BS if they know the regs and what is require of them in the real world. One time I got a letter about CRS what and "Please respond within 10 days". The response I sent was basically "Thank you for your notification Ref# 12345"...nothing else. I responded-what could they say? The key is to respond. You ain't gotta say schitt...just respond...let them tell you what is going on. CRS if it turned to be nothing. Must of not been much of anything 'cause I didn't get fired or go to prison. Again it boils down to do you know when, in everyday life something out of the ordinary happens, what to do and how to act. Just my $.02 worth of useless BS.

Noah 'W

I see all kinds of people on this very forum mistake jokes for seriousness and most of us have more than two brain cells...
Someone just the other day didn't think my coffee joke was funny, go figure....

No idea.
They were robots. I tried very hard but could not get them to break character.
Is this the dude?
latest

Who ever reported him damn well knew it was a joke, if not then that person only has two brain cells and neither function properly.
That's quite the assumption. And considering the reach of FB, probably wrong.
In this day and age no one seems to be held accountable for their mis-deeds.
Well to pick one topic at random, the number of teachers these days being arrested and/or fired for making smooch smooch with their students would suggest otherwise. I know for a fact, that sort of thing was happening in the schools when I attended in the 70's and 80's and if it was discovered, it was generally kept quiet. For sure the teachers weren't arrested or fired back then. So yeah, definitely disagree with you on people not being held accountable these days.

People that do these kinds of malicious things should be held to account for their actions. They should be punished is some form or another.
Hey, men are accused of rape and other heinous crimes that turn out to be 'unsubstantiated' and the accusers invariably skate, while the poor schlub's name will forever be associated with the false accusation.

Log book. . .just enter what you need for proving currency, or for qualifying for a rating. Log your other stuff elsewhere. The FAA wants to see the log book, show them "theirs". Meets the letter of the law, though probably not practical for professionals, of course.

Jmho... while we all enjoy Bryan’s posts, I think it wise to let this go. No satire, no more posts from Bryan. Again, not trying to be a party pooper, just what I would do.

Log book. . .just enter what you need for proving currency, or for qualifying for a rating. Log your other stuff elsewhere. The FAA wants to see the log book, show them "theirs". Meets the letter of the law, though probably not practical for professionals, of course.

Could you show them a printed out version of a digital logbook? Only showing legal for currency entries?

Could you show them a printed out version of a digital logbook? Only showing legal for currency entries?
Sure, if that's all they ask for.

There's a difference between, "show me your logbook" and "show me the entries which show you are current."

And, yes, I've heard both.

So at what level does bashing of the government and/or its employees become political and worthy of moderation from the site management? This thread includes rampant bashing of the FAA inspector and the FAA in general. So this must somehow be considered okay. When does it not become okay? Bashing the inspector's supervisor or manager? Bashing the top dog in Flight Standards? Bashing the Associate Administrator? Bashing the Administrator himself? Bashing the Secretary of Transportation? Bashing her boss? It would seem that if bashing anyone in the chain is okay then bashing any of them would be okay. And if bashing any single one of them is a violation of rules then bashing all of them would be as well.

Honestly aside from the fact that someone decided I needed this lesson, the event today was good. I learned a lot and I (and you) should have zero fear if these guys reach out to you. Even if you've done something wrong. They are not out to get us. Like I said, they (in this case) are pilots and stated their goal is to get pilots back into compliance in the event that they screw up.
At any rate, more silver linings than dark clouds on this event

the problem is all it took was a complaint from a short entry in a facebook page, that started with a claim & ended with you denying it, to trigger an official investigation from the faa that includes a permanent record,

& you get stuck with
He goes: "Well, we have nothing so substantiate that you are in fact receiving compensation for flying. However there will be a note in your file that there was an investigation that could not be substantiated. This is not negative in anyway but the investigation would be able to be reopened in the event that at later time there is cause to believe you are in fact accepting money w/o the proper ratings."

this is not negative in anyway?? gimme a break..

+1 on the below
wsuffa said:
Notice that they never said that they believe you or that they believe you didn't break the regs. They said its "unsubstantiated" and that it will go in the permanent file (dossier). That is a far cry from "you didn't do it".
This is the part that bothers me. It isn't nothing that they now have a dossier with content in it - however "unsubstantiated". After all, unsubstantiated accusations can do a whole lot of reputation damage. In any case, the mere existence of this permanent file will form the base of justification for more intense scrutiny at the least next reason that comes along. Investigators will start off biased and don't tell me they won't, they're human.

Furthermore I distrust the warm fuzzy feeling they gave Bryan. It's a well know interrogation technique to put you at ease and make you think you're among friends. They want you to feel comfortable spilling your guts. On the other hand these aren't the police or the CIA, and if they are GA pilots themselves I can see them being more or less "on your side". I have to take Bryan's word about his impression, he was there and I wasn't.

I'm happy it's over for Bryan and there won't be any further consequences from this particular deal, but I don't see this as exactly a great result.

If nothing else we learn that you can put permanent marks on any pilot's record just by making unsubstantiated accusations. I don't think that's a good thing.

reminds me of
"no law enforcement action warranted" but a warning record would remain on file for 2 years
https://www.pressreader.com/usa/flying/20170701/281956017746865

Last edited:
So at what level does bashing of the government and/or its employees become political and worthy of moderation from the site management? This thread includes rampant bashing of the FAA inspector and the FAA in general. So this must somehow be considered okay. When does it not become okay? Bashing the inspector's supervisor or manager? Bashing the top dog in Flight Standards? Bashing the Associate Administrator? Bashing the Administrator himself? Bashing the Secretary of Transportation? Bashing her boss? It would seem that if bashing anyone in the chain is okay then bashing any of them would be okay. And if bashing any single one of them is a violation of rules then bashing all of them would be as well.
hey.....FAA lives matter. o_O

Seems I remember someone from the MC saying they tolerated FAA bashing because it is aviation related.

So at what level does bashing of the government and/or its employees become political and worthy of moderation from the site management? This thread includes rampant bashing of the FAA inspector and the FAA in general. So this must somehow be considered okay. When does it not become okay?
If this is like most places, including where I work, it becomes not okay when you're bashing one of the guys everyone else likes or praising one of the guys everyone else hates.

Log book. . .just enter what you need for proving currency, or for qualifying for a rating. Log your other stuff elsewhere.
Or better yet, log your other stuff nowhere. The perception is that pilots are required to log every single flight, but there is no such requirement. Minimum flight experience required for certificates and minimum flight experience required for currency are the only flights required to be in your logbook. There are good reasons to log more, insurance rates, personal memento etc. But there is no regulatory requirement to log more.

Once I got to the point where I realized that I wasn't going to stay in the industry or continue to work long term as a pilot, I stopped bothering with my logbook. I was pretty burned out by then. During my last year or two, I flew at least 5 days a week but logged nothing more than 3 take offs and landings every 90 days. In the years since, my logbook comes out for currency and BFR's but otherwise I don't bother with it. I'm not much of a nostalgic fella so I could care less about reading my logbook fondly when I'm 64.

So I think trying to make the connection of this thread to political posts for moderation is a stretch. That said this forum does not exist in a vacuum, there are FAA employees or former employees (controllers) who post here and it's not a stretch to think that FAA employees involved in enforcement are members here also, especially if they are pilots. Understanding the considerable power these guys and gals are given over pilot certificates, and understanding that flying as it stands is a privilege granted by the government rather than a right, I would tread lightly when writing about these folks. The regulations are broad and some burdensome, I would hate to have one or more of these people who enforce the rules POed at me. YMMV.

Good question. On the whole we view political posts as when you get into various commonly partisan issues which previously would have been thrown into the spin zone. Note that we have always carved out an exception for aviation-related discussions since the government is involved in aviation. It's not a matter of bashing specifically being prohibited, although usually political discussions head that direction and get uncivil quickly, which is a large part of why they're no longer allowed.

When it comes to discussions involving the FAA (be it in this case or others), those are clearly aviation related. I have seen no posts in this thread that I would consider to be political in nature. Discussions regarding the FAA by default are aviation related. Note that doesn't mean that the MC agrees with posts or opinions one way or the other.

I will say I'm not surprised that it was ultimately a non-event for Brian. I don't think the person who reported him should have, I certainly wouldn't have. On the other side of it, I think many on here would be surprised at how overt some are with violating the FARs. I've spoken to a number of pilots who will nonchalantly list off a number of violations (note that they volunteered this, I didn't ask and didn't care to know), and we've all heard reports of people who will perform violations so bold as to do things like flying a two-pilot jet single pilot, departing from a busy airport with a number of witnesses, then being surprised when the FAA comes down on them. Those people are out there, and saying something is obviously a joke gets harder when the person saying it is someone you don't know.

I think PoAers as a group try to do the right thing and make sure we're in compliance with the regs, which is a big positive of this group.

Last edited:
Jmho... while we all enjoy Bryan’s posts, I think it wise to let this go. No satire, no more posts from Bryan.

Yes, and it would be wise for the scorpion to not sting the frog. But scorpions are gonna scorpion.

Today it would be a Halloween bash. :devil:

Next year, let's all dress up as FAA people and go trick or treat at Bryans.

Ok, bad idea...probably be the first actual turd you get in your bag.

It’s called common sense. There is a limit. It’s not a clear line, but common sense tells you when you’re going too far. It’s when people push the limits intentionally without applying common sense that forum mods are forced to draw hard lines, usually more strict than “common sense” to keep control, and then we all lose.

Common sense is subjective and based on personal experience. Since your personal experience likely is not identical to mine, your idea of common sense may not match mine. Doesn't make you right. Doesn't make me wrong. But does make saying just use common sense a poor plan of action for any kind of rule making IMO.

Jmho... while we all enjoy Bryan’s posts, I think it wise to let this go. No satire, no more posts from Bryan. Again, not trying to be a party pooper, just what I would do.
You obviously don't know Bryan very well! :)

So at what level does bashing of the government and/or its employees become political and worthy of moderation from the site management?

Asked and answered already. Personally, I haven't seen much, if any, egregious FAA bashing in this thread.

This thread has over 21K 'views' in 21 days. That is 1000/day or about 50 per hour. Can non POA members see this? If so, what are they searching for to end up on this thread? Curious.

Back