How to placard stratus ADS-B transponder out of inspection?

Magnus P.IFR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Required
taking a checkride in a club plane that hasn’t had the transponder, altimeter and static systems inspected within required time.

Is there a special way to placard the transponder since it has automatic altitude reporting?

"Do not fly IFR until the transponder and pitot static checks have been completed"

Last edited:
Is it necessary to turn the transponder off?

I don't. He said the "transponder, altimeter and static systems" are overdue for the checks. BTW 91.213 says to placard "INOP" and refers to equipment that doesn't work, not for equipment that has exceeded the time limit for checks. It still works, just hasn't had the required checks. Transponder is covered in 91.215 and includes altitude encoding.

Last edited:
Then why did you state IFR? You can't operate that transponder UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES without the inspection. God help him if that checkride takes place in airspace that requires it.

taking a checkride in a club plane that hasn’t had the transponder, altimeter and static systems inspected within required time.

Is there a special way to placard the transponder since it has automatic altitude reporting?
Read FARs 91.215, 91.411 and 91.413 thoroughly. Basically my cut at it is:
1) if you have one installed you have to use it
2) if you are going to use it, it needs current inspections; or a special permit to fly it somewhere to get fixed.

You should know this stuff for your check ride - your examiner will expect you to show him the aircraft logbooks and point out where the required maintenance has been done, ie annual, 100hr, etc.

Good God man, I was referring to the pitot static check. You can also fly an inop transponder with prior coordination with ATC.

All this has to be accomplished/repaired prior to a check ride or there won't be one.

The transponder, et al aren't inop, they are overdue for inspection.

The transponder, et al aren't inop, they are overdue for inspection.

You can't use the transponder if it hasn't been inspected. If you can't use something, and it has not been tested, you do not know if it works properly. You might as well call that inoperative.

Dare we ask where this checkride is planned to take place? It could, potentially, be in airspace with no requirement for it.

You can't use the transponder if it hasn't been inspected. If you can't use something, and it has not been tested, you do not know if it works properly. You might as well call that inoperative.

You imply way too much. If it worked on the 31st of the month, it more than likely works on the 1st of the next month. Look fellas, I'm not saying don't get the required inspections. I'm saying that the regulation 91.213 refers to "inoperative" equipment. I don't see anywhere in that reg that if the inspection isn't completed, the equipment is deemed inoperative. Matter of fact, I don't see the word "inspection" anywhere in that paragraph.

I read that too. It does NOT say if the equipment is overdue, consider it inoperative. Don't fly it until the inspection is completed but in that same paragraph in part D, it states you CAN fly it with prior ATC coordination....but I don't mean indefinitely.

I didn't imply anything, I didn't say it WAS inoperative, I said it MIGHT AS WELL BE inoperative. Also, I don't see a 91.413(d). Are you referring to a different para. d?

To the OP:

You won't get a check ride without the required inspections. Get the inspections.

I'm out

All of you are wrong...... totally...... it must be turned off, unless it’s on. Then you can’t fly it unless you are airborne, in which case it must be in altitude mode unless you are not in altitude. In which case, it must be off for the duration of the flight until you are legally not in flight at which time it must be activated.

Now continue bickering! :raspberry:

The sticky point is 91.225 that says if you have adsb it must be on at all times, in this case it can't because the transaponder cannot be used. There is provisions for operation with inop adsb, but in this case the adsb is not inop, just not usable because of the transponder being out of date. Catch 22 one reg said it must be on, the other says you cannot turn it on. Bottom line is you show up for a check ride with it it's either a pink slip or notice of discontinuance depending on the dpe and how you explaine it.

@unsafervguy I see 91.225 starts with “After January 1, 2020...”. So my interpretation of it is that once the regulation is active that may be true.

The other point is that I fly at a class D airport...thus ads-b won’t be required.

I’ve also been reassured by a number of folks working at my FBO and my instructor that a placard with “do not use” is sufficient once I turn the transponder off.

Just when I thought I was out...you pull me back in.

So lets say your transponder inspection expires at midnight on the 31st. You've been delayed for weather and are about an hour away from landing at your Class C home field. At midnight plus one, are you going to turn your transponder off?

What do the transponder police look like? How do you feel about the use by date on a gallon of milk?

Chances of getting caught - probably somewheres between slim and none.
On the other hand, however. It snot a big deal to fly into class C or under class B without a transponder.

I see it all the time. Most the time it is from "working" transponders with no mode C or transponders that can't accept a 6 because that button doesn't work.

Just when I thought I was out...you pull me back in.

So lets say your transponder inspection expires at midnight on the 31st. You've been delayed for weather and are about an hour away from landing at your Class C home field. At midnight plus one, are you going to turn your transponder off?

What do the transponder police look like? How do you feel about the use by date on a gallon of milk?
hey.....It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye.o_O

We're not talking about real world operations here, he says he's going on a checkride.

One of the first things an examiner is likely to do on your oral portion before you even start the checkride is have you show him that airplane is airworthy and ready to go. Now technically you don't need your pitot/static/transponder checks current for VFR flight. A lot of people don't know that, a lot of instructors don't know that. It's plausible the examiner might not know that. Are you ready to play FAA lawyer and nitpick over FARs with your examiner 5 minutes into the oral? Think the transponder check not being current might prompt him into digging a little deeper into the logbooks looking for some other issues?

Hey, he might not care at all. I don't know this examiner. Personally though I really don't want to show up for a checkride with an airplane that's in any less than tip-top shape.

Am I? On POA we can argue endlessly about pro rata share...just keep your mouth shut, etc, etc but a transponder being one minute out of inspection makes the sky fall. Would you fly your overdue transponder to the avionics guy or pay $50 extra to have him come to you?

There is absolutely NO WAY a controller can tell if a transponder is out of inspection. To us it either works or it doesn't. Personally, it is MY opinion that unless a controller tells you that your altitude differs by more than 300' you shouldn't fix something that isn't broken. I'm not advocating NOT playing by the rules. You know me better than that.

@unsafervguy I see 91.225 starts with “After January 1, 2020...”. So my interpretation of it is that once the regulation is active that may be true.

The other point is that I fly at a class D airport...thus ads-b won’t be required.

I’ve also been reassured by a number of folks working at my FBO and my instructor that a placard with “do not use” is sufficient once I turn the transponder off.

I would say your wrong. Section (a) (b) and (d) say after Jan 1 2020. Section (f), which is where it says it must be on, has no such stipulation. This caused a big problem at Oshkosh, because the Notam required transponders to be turned off but this reg requires they be on if you have adsb. They ended up re-writing the notam to say if you have adsb leave it on.
What your FBI and instructor says means squat. What the faa says means everything.

I think 91.215 (d) covers the situation you're describing. I think most ATCers, including yourself, would have no issues granting access to airspace with a transponder out of inspection by one minute.

I do advocate following the rules.
Your right, but 91.225 is what will get him because of adsb. If it's installed it must be on, and the only deviation allowed is to get home or to get it to a place to get it fixed. It's stupid to try to take an aircraft for a check ride that has an outdated transponder check.

Could you explain your statement further with regard to transponders? Let's say you're at an airport inside a Mode C veil. I fall in the category of the people that don't know that.

I'm far from being an FAR guru, I just know for VFR flight it's not technically required. I would expect it's supposed to be inspected if used in places where mode C is required, but again I'm not an FAR guru. I keep mine up to date and just don't worry about it, seems easier that way.

And we have to yet to have a chance to do that. That is why we need a weekend fly in...and I need my plane finished to do that. Having said that, since I've torn apart the pitot static system AND installed a new transponder, I have to have both inspected now which is $400 I have to pay the avionics guy to sign it off. Good times. :)

Back