Hobbies that compete with our flying obsessions...

Too many hobbies, so little time (& money)...

I grew up in the flying business since Dad was a Beech sales mgr, so I got to ride in alot of interesting production stuff, and left-seat a few back in the Seventies. But the real fun was us restoring/flying antique aircraft, and building a couple of Pitts Specials along the way. After he died, tho, everything had to go for the sake of estate settlement and my mom.
40173_1396079145123_5647118_n.jpg

But along the way, I picked up alot of other afflictions- muscle cars, sports cars, NASCAR, then motorcycles, and then Fast Boats. Of course with a love of restoring junk, that's how I came possess most of them. Could never afford to buy much of this stuff already done, but in the long run it might have been cheaper, I suppose. Still got two 'classic' Suzukis left over that I keep licensed and ride sporadically, sold all the sporty cars (loved taking the Miata to the Dragon), had a brain fart and traded off the 65 TriPower GTO like an idiot. Just before moving back to NC from ICT, I bought a wind-blown PA22-160 and rebuilt/recovered it and flew it for several years before selling it to start my business, that thankfully has survived and thrived since.
7719_1134685210438_2916541_n.jpg

I used to be into photography in a big way when I was younger, but that was all celluloid SLR stuff. I took millions of airplane photos, but didn't really key on the people involved. Don't make that mistake, guys....and...I miss Kodachrome.

The one hobby I'm in/out of depending on how busy I am is Amateur Radio (thanks Dad...). I've never had a fixed station- primarily the only time I have for it is while mobile, so I've always got wires strewn throughout the truck or car for some sort of antenna/power supply deal. It's interesting how many pilots are hams are pilots are hams.....:D It's also the only hobby I have that my wife just doesn't get....:dunno:

Restoring hot boats has my little free time right now (right after my fabulous grandkids...lemme see, I've got that album somewhere....). The 73 Raysoncraft with the v-drive and the 454 is much like a Corvette on the water,
7719_1134687610498_5490732_n.jpg
and it's cousin with the deeper vee hull and the 200 Merc is hopefully gonna be very similar (I've got it apart and rebuilding the whole thing- ex-ski racing training craft from SoCal).
attachment.php

Used to do a bit of handgun and rifle collecting, shooting, reloading, etc...but all the guns are gone now....

So my local flying buddies are trying to get me to invest in a 4-way partnership on a Traveller- maybe they'll wear me down- it's lookin' that way.

Ya gotta love high powered toys.......:yes:..

We must be twins..:D
Take a nice, healthy V-8 and stuff it in a neat toy...;)

Attachments

• EngineAndRedriveFromUpperRearRight.jpg
    EngineAndRedriveFromUpperRearRight.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 18
  • EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture_204.jpg
    Picture_204.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture_230.jpg
    Picture_230.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Ya gotta love high powered toys.......:yes:..

We must be twins..:D
Take a nice, healthy V-8 and stuff it in a neat toy...;)

That's way cool- whose block and heads are those? All AL stuff?

Yup.... All Aluminum... Ford racing block 6010-F-302.

Edelbrock small port heads.

A cheesy video of the deathtrap..:eek::D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNnEgRkdXc&context=

Watched the whole thing- couldnt get the second link to work, tho. Would love to hear it run. Years ago we restored and flew a '37 Arrow Sport with a Flathead Ford in it, turned around and geared 2:1. Sounded like a little Merlin. It's hanging up in Terminal 3 at SFO now.

Can never get enough flying.:goofy:

Attachments

• IMG_0078.JPG
    IMG_0078.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 36
My hobbies include my two favorite conveyances...

iPhone%20Photos%20201201%202011-09-19-659-L.jpg

photography...

Storm-Clouds-2008-06-19-005-L.jpg

and drumming...

Yamaha%20Drum%20Kit%2020120624%200003-L.jpg

80C433CD-AFC8-46CB-836E-F7D1A4DD099D-4672-0000066CD07B1567.jpg

My main obsession

Although I suppose I could consider shooting a hobby. I dabble....

418854_2713786764365_1664336835_n.jpg

50 yards with my .22, ruger m77/22 bolt action with the target barrel and a leupold 3x12 scope

549337_3065725722619_1877283632_n.jpg

100 yards with my weatherby 30/06

582645_3060236585394_2050564037_n.jpg

200 yards.......

"he hates those coins."

Almost as exciting as flying....Rally Sport my career for over 40 yrs.

TomWyedean2013_zps2bf08796.jpg

My evil credit card purchased a number of deadly murderous gun magazines, which will certainly kill thousands of children before they wear out, before our fascist governor signs Colorado HR-1224 into law.

Since in the future they might wear out, if all the Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, and Utah (amongst others) PoA shooters would accidentally leave their used magazines in the back of my woefully unsecured aircraft on the ramp at any regional PoA fly-ins, I would of course dispose of them appropriately since I can't have them. I promise.

I should also mention I have this strange mental problem that causes me to leave envelopes with cash in them in certain other airplanes at fly-ins. It's a strange malady. Fortunately not reportable in MedXpress.

That is, of course, unless you're against those magazines instantly turning evil as soon as they cross the border into Colorado. They will probably kill thousands more people, just as soon as they even can just see the State line.

That's just what they do, you can't stop it. Terrible evil things!

By the way, who owns these evil bullet boxes? Me or my wife? She owns the baseplate and spring, I own the box? I just don't know.

If I hand one of them to her, is that an illegal transfer? What if she picks up a rifle with one attached? I mean, we'd have to go buy new rifles since they're all gone, but it's a good theoretical problem. How about letting a nephew hold one?

I'm sure as soon as anyone picks one of them up, the rounds will fire out of them and kill everyone for a ten mile radius, even without a gun to fire them out of.

Freedom in America, indeed. Bloomberg bought my rights to own little metal and plastic boxes from Colorado Democrats for $1.5M.

Cheap at twice the price, for a billionaire playboy.

Oh no. This evil bullet jumped into my jacket pocket. It must want to kill someone!

Help Democrats! Save me! Send the Bloominator!

8ytu3enu.jpg

My evil credit card purchased a number of deadly murderous gun magazines, which will certainly kill thousands of children before they wear out, before our fascist governor signs Colorado HR-1224 into law.

Since in the future they might wear out, if all the Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, and Utah (amongst others) PoA shooters would accidentally leave their used magazines in the back of my woefully unsecured aircraft on the ramp at any regional PoA fly-ins, I would of course dispose of them appropriately since I can't have them. I promise.

I should also mention I have this strange mental problem that causes me to leave envelopes with cash in them in certain other airplanes at fly-ins. It's a strange malady. Fortunately not reportable in MedXpress.

That is, of course, unless you're against those magazines instantly turning evil as soon as they cross the border into Colorado. They will probably kill thousands more people, just as soon as they even can just see the State line.

By the way, who owns these evil bullet boxes? Me or my wife? She owns the baseplate and spring, I own the box? I just don't know.

If I hand one of them to her, is that an illegal transfer? What if she picks up a rifle with one attached? I mean, we'd have to go buy new rifles since they're all gone, but it's a good theoretical problem. How about letting a nephew hold one?

I'm sure as soon as anyone picks one of them up, the rounds will fire out of them and kill everyone for a ten mile radius, even without a gun to fire them out of.

Freedom in America, indeed. Bloomberg bought my rights to own little metal and plastic boxes from Colorado Democrats for $1.5M.

Oh no. This evil bullet jumped into my jacket pocket. It must want to kill someone!

8ytu3enu.jpg
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Can't understand what's going on inside their brains...

Target shooting and ammo.

Taking up golf again after 30 years. My Bride wants to give it a go so two new starter sets later we are ready for the links. Best part, my Bride said this will give us more reasons to fly to fun places.

I've been known to dabble in street bikes. I've owned a honda vfr750f, a kawi zx14, and the best a Suzuki hayabusa. Before flight school, I flew quite a bit of RC 3d planes and said screw this I'm gonna go fly real ones. Also, guns, call of duty, gold prospecting, metal detecting, traveling with my wife (16 day Ireland trip coming in may including 4 days on isle of Mann for the TT races) oh and loving my two dogs.

I've been known to dabble in street bikes. I've owned a honda vfr750f, a kawi zx14, and the best a Suzuki hayabusa. Before flight school, I flew quite a bit of RC 3d planes and said screw this I'm gonna go fly real ones. Also, guns, call of duty, gold prospecting, metal detecting, traveling with my wife (16 day Ireland trip coming in may including 4 days on isle of Mann for the TT races) oh and loving my two dogs.

Where do you look for gold?

8ytu3enu.jpg

Just so we're clear, would those death boxes be of the Kalashnikov or the Simonov pursuasion. One would not want to leave the wrong kind of box laying in someone's plane. :dunno:

7.62x39 ?

8ytu3enu.jpg

Still new to the hobby and it is some backbreaking work but I love it! Anywhere between Jamestown, Jackson, up to colfax. You?

Haven't yet, hopefully someday. The Gold Rush show made me interested in it.

Just so we're clear, would those death boxes be of the Kalashnikov or the Simonov pursuasion. One would not want to leave the wrong kind of box laying in someone's plane. :dunno:

Hahaha. Let's see, Kalashnikov, and those those inseparable Sturm and Ruger guys are well-represented too.

For the moment, some nice Bulgarians sent me a box with a present inside that may well last a lifetime. Bagged in that obnoxious preservative oil, even.

A couple other boxes arrived with the American-made friends of the Bulgarians too.

I probably should go test some of them, just to make sure they work. ;)

Of course Karen owns half of them, so the government can figure out which half when I hand her one of them. :)

This photograph would be evidence of illegal activity here in Colorado now after July 1st...

Someone handed her a .22 rifle affectionately known as "Pepe" at the range... that one... isn't hers. An "illegal transfer of a high-capacity magazine" now.

ysunuzez.jpg

She complained it was too heavy. I think she's sandbagging and prepping to go shoot up some schools or something. I better turn her in.

7.62x39 ?

Yup. The cheap stuff with that weird coating on the shell. Seems to run fine.

Saw an interesting addition to the rules sign at one of the ranges here recently... "No Russian Ammo".

Hmm. Haven't asked them why, but probably they don't want this crud mixed in with their brass.

Back