Hobbies that compete with our flying obsessions...

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
Although I dress up and play a healthcare exec by day, outside of work I'm in jeans, t-shirts, and usually greasy. Great stress relief, and something that keeps me a little "different". :D We all have things that compete with the flying obsession, so I thought I would post one of mine...

DSC01182.jpg

2012-11-04_14-14-29_3.jpg

2012-04-05_22-33-27_685.jpg

Chop1.jpg

1980FLHCompleted1.jpg

2012-07-15_19-38-00_836.jpg

Motorcycles are my biggest other hobby....then there is model railroading, and checking out local history. Luckily though, not all exclude each of the others. Since much of the local history around here includes railroads and (as I'm now learning) aviation, it'll be nice to use an airplane to get a new perspective on things.

usually when contemplating another hobby i think 'will this compete with my soaring addiction?' if the answer to that question is yes then the answer to the new hobby is no.

Since the airplane came around, I've been considering selling this. I don't think I will though.. gonna just have to suffer another 2 years until it's paid off.

405177_10150682318866086_375455889_n.jpg

I have picked up the gym again. I got a trainer and am going to make it ALOT easier to get into the Warrior next spring. I love going I look forward to going even. The trainer is about 4 hours of flying a month. Now that it's cold I can't think of anywhere I really care to go see. I may go poke a couple holes in the sky once a month just to be sure I don't lose the skill but no destinations until the spring. :)

Since I am a kept man, I just go wherever the wife says.....two weeks ago she said "Maui for the winter". What a horrible woman.... :D So, consequently, my hobbies have to be portable. Wine. Cooking. and since I couldn't bring the winged toys, now becoming reacquainted with helicopters.

Since the airplane came around, I've been considering selling this. I don't think I will though.. gonna just have to suffer another 2 years until it's paid off.

405177_10150682318866086_375455889_n.jpg

I'd hold on to that too....It's the closest thing to flying without wings... :yes:

I'm sure that this thread will soon be filled with many testoterone-filled hobbies:

Motorcycling, Cars, Boats, Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, RC models, Tent Camping (ugh!), 4-wheeling, Ham radio, Woodworking, Rock climbing, Fighting, Football/Basketball/Baseball, ...

So I am going to provide some balance from me:

Scrapbooking, Sewing/Quilting, Cross Stitching, Antiques, and Crafts. :yes:

I'm sure that this thread will soon be filled with many testoterone-filled hobbies:

Motorcycling, Cars, Boats, Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, RC models, Tent Camping (ugh!), 4-wheeling, Ham radio, Woodworking, Rock climbing, Fighting, Football/Basketball/Baseball, ...

Very cool, and unless the antiques really get expensive I'm guessing that YOUR hobbies don't take near as many dollars away from flying as some of the "testosterone-based" ones do!

Very cool, and unless the antiques really get expensive I'm guessing that YOUR hobbies don't take near as many dollars away from flying as some of the "testosterone-based" ones do!

Obviously, you are not talking about MY wife's hobbies that keep me away from flying...

This summer's hobby:

GEDC1069.JPG

Since this picture, I paid someone to put the roof on and now I'm working on wiring it...

I guess I'll be siding over the winter. :crazy:

Obviously, you are not talking about MY wife's hobbies that keep me away from flying...

This summer's hobby:

GEDC1069.JPG

Since this picture, I paid someone to put the roof on and now I'm working on wiring it...

I guess I'll be siding over the winter. :crazy:

You sir, are a either a very ambitious, or a very demented individual. :D

between Track Days and buying guns and shooting. its hard to find where to spend my money

KJ0T3258.jpg

KJ0T1977.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

My kids have had approximately equal exposure to airplanes and boats in their short lives. Here's how my 7-year old compares air vs water time. Is it any wonder it's so tough to get kids interested in flying ?

Attachments

• beechcraft_vs_ebbtide.jpg
    beechcraft_vs_ebbtide.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 164

Used to cross-stitch when I was younger (like 14 or so) but haven't had time as of late. I'm getting really into crafts again and cooking in general (I've always loved baking though) because of Pinterest. Seriously, that website in itself is a hobby!

I wanted to spend less on RC, so I got my PP-ASEL... It worked!
:goofy:

usually when contemplating another hobby i think 'will this compete with my soaring addiction?' if the answer to that question is yes then the answer to the new hobby is no.

I used to have other hobbies. They have stopped due to aviation.

Roller Skating, Roller Blading, Horseback Riding, Photography (OK that one is free), Motorcycles, and others I've long forgotten like SCUBA

I do some still:

Boating, Knee Boarding, swimming, fishing, crabbing, hunting, and snowmobiling.

Amateur Radio...

A few years ago operating 222 MHz and 1.2 GHz at the W0KVA contest site (it's inside a communications trailer... they built a bigger and better one since then even, and this one was good anyway!)...

gybaqeru.jpg

Which led to stupid stuff like this... In 2006...

bumaja4e.jpg

And condensed the antennas into one log-periodic in 2007...

ry8ejyqu.jpg

And of course, work... (Old photo at a central office... That is 4800 phone lines worth of conference calls, in circa 1990s gear -- later models crammed that many into a single cabinet, density-wise...)

ymujady4.jpg

Amateur Radio...

A few years ago operating 222 MHz and 1.2 GHz at the W0KVA contest site (it's inside a communications trailer... they built a bigger and better one since then even, and this one was good anyway!)...

Which led to...

bumaja4e.jpg

Dude! Now THAT'S a babe magnet if I've ever seen one!

Oh Nate, Nate, Nate.... Tell me you didn't drive that rolling lightening rod around in 2006..:hairraise::eek:

Oh Nate, Nate, Nate.... Tell me you didn't drive that rolling lightening rod around in 2006..:hairraise::eek:

Heh. Yep. I got lucky both years (contest is in June) with the weather.

I even had a run-rate of three contacts per minute on SSB 6 meters while the cruise control was set on I-80 between Cheyenne and the I-76 interchange. While logging on the laptop! Found a UPS truck, got behind him, matched speed...

It helps a WHOLE lot to be able to type without looking at the keyboard, and having specialized logging software that you can do entries without ever touching a mouse... type callsign, hit tab, type Maidenhead grid square, hit tab, glance at screen for typos, hit enter... If typo, tab six or seven times and hit delete and type field again before enter.

I had a one-ear Heil headset and a trigger switch in my lap. It basically felt like talking to ATC in the airplane... Heh heh.

Measured the mast to make sure it'd clear bridges/overpasses; one area I like to operate from near Cheyenne, WY has a lower-than-standard railroad underpass to cross under the highway to get to. :)

Oh . come on now Kimberly.... be nice..

And remember... Size does matter..;)

And apparently Nate had the biggest one.... Antenna that is..:yes::rofl:

Well actually I should not even be allowed to comment because:

I recently had to attend a "webinar" before joining the USCG Aux. The webinar was a bunch of slides showing all the "jobs" available to us as members. One of the most interesting ones (that caught my eye besides the flying) was the radio operator stuff. I think it involves recording those marine radio channel briefings about incoming cargo ships. That would be pretty neat if I was in communications! But I bet that one job is not on weekends.

Spending time with my lovely bride- Motorcycles, we have motorcyle trainig schools that teach the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. (BRC) and (ERC) in Texas (DPS) and Florida (FRTP).

AND

I do the Bob Ross type painting system. Landscapes!

I am a multiple medical building property manager by day!

Spending time with my lovely bride- Motorcycles, we have motorcyle trainig schools that teach the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. (BRC) and (ERC) in Texas (DPS) and Florida (FRTP).

AND

I do the Bob Ross type painting system. Landscapes!

I am a multiple medical building property manager by day!

Another property manager! Small world.

Five transmit and receive facilities are remoted to two Communications Area Master Stations at Pt. Reyes CA and Chesapeake VA.

At least I won't have to attach the antennas to my car.

Yeah, I'm like Kimberly - I had to give up all my other hobbies for flying. And I still don't get to fly enough.

Yeah, I'm like Kimberly - I had to give up all my other hobbies for flying. And I still don't get to fly enough.

Exactly. I fly 1-4 times per month for less than an hour or one point something each time. Rare is the invoice that says 2 or more hours for me.

Hockey, hockey, hockey. Playing and some coaching.

My first cross country as a PP will hopefully be hockey related!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Had a Cirrus SR20, loved it :) Had a kid, sold it to upgrade :dunno: Have a 3 yr old, a 1 yr old, and a bun in the oven :yikes: Next step is snip! :eek: Then on to another plane, wife said yes :yes:

But, where the heck do fathers find the time?????

I gave up motorcycles in exchange for buying an airplane. Usually fly 5-10 hours a month depending on the weather up here in Seattle. Still make time to hit the slopes for snowboarding in the winter, but come summertime, airshows an flying take priority. :)

Had a Cirrus SR20, loved it :) Had a kid, sold it to upgrade :dunno: Have a 3 yr old, a 1 yr old, and a bun in the oven :yikes: Next step is snip! :eek: Then on to another plane, wife said yes :yes:

But, where the heck do fathers find the time?????

That's what sidelined me,.... As much as I wanted to deny it, eventually 3 daughters starts to add up and catch up. For now, I motorcycle when I can to get the freedom, which is no where near flying, and we recently picked up a popup camper to enjoy with the kids while they are still young enough.

Back