Hobbies that compete with our flying obsessions...

I sold my motorcycle, my Dodge Challenger and canceled my Country Club membership so I'd have more time/money for the plane. If I ever run out of things to upgrade in my Sierra, I guess I'll get back into some of those other hobbies.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mountain Biking for me, and more specifically, Downhill Mountainbiking. I did a few races this year for the first time in about 10 years. A few pics from races, a pic of my bike (no greyhounds were harmed in the taking of this photo), and a cool vista pic of a normal bike ride near Grand Junction, CO:

FreerideFestival.jpg

FreerideFestival2.jpg

HoDown2.jpg

SadSparky.jpg

WesternRim.jpg

I have been accused of liking my toys, but I'm a piker compared to a lot of guys I know.

Used to be a lot more heavily involved in ham radio. Never did get heavily into contesting, and now I haven't been on the air in any meaningful way in a while now. I did, however, turn it into a fairly nice little side business that pays for my flying habit.

I used to shoot quite a bit. Now it's just (barely) enough to remain proficient. IDPA once in a while. No access to a rifle range, but I'm hoping to be able to fly out to western NE and do some prairie dog shooting eventually. I handload and have occasionally spent way too much time and effort developing new loads to get the best accuracy out of the various guns.

We've got a Harley that we have ridden quite a bit. I put bigger/better cylinders, pistons & cams on it the second or third year we had it, and we have a matching cargo trailer to pull behind it for vacations. Up until this year we have taken one or more long road trips in the summer, plus a lot of dinners and weekend "let's go ride" rides. This year not so much, with the flying and all. And we took the truck to CO when we went so we could haul back crap from Ikea. Looking forward to getting back on the road more next year.

Last year we bought a pair of bikes (Hybrids, I think they call 'em) and have been riding around the lake close to our house. I've also been hitting the gym a few nights a week, trying to lose 30 years worth of neglect and weight.

And I spend too much time here, that's for sure.

Nate, that's a great looking rover setup. Far more than I carry in my Jeep (just a 2m / 70 cm dual bander).

Amateur radio, shooting. Oh, and having my wife join me on my travels (she's not in Bangkok with me on this trip, however).

Photography, family, and travel - what delays me getting my ticket. Sorry Kimberly, photography is not free is you are serious. $6,000 in gear and a wish list just as long.

Once I save and getting PPL, will be easier to balance.

I must have a short attention span because I'm terrible at sticking with hobbies. The only thing I can think of which has stayed with me is photography, but it's mostly only happy snaps these days. I never got into the really fancy, expensive equipment.

I totally forgot about photography. I used to be huge into it, but I don't have the time these days. I also don't have the money to keep up with equipment. I got a Nikon D300 4 years ago now, it's outdated as heck but it's still a better camera than I am photographer!

(upper left streak is an airplane)
71743_445519246085_5297755_n.jpg

Flying, rc everything, boating cause its my business and we are water folk, and now racing with my son.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 18
I totally forgot about photography. I used to be huge into it, but I don't have the time these days. I also don't have the money to keep up with equipment. I got a Nikon D300 4 years ago now, it's outdated as heck but it's still a better camera than I am photographer!

I just have a D300 but have the 80-200 VR II, 24-70/ 2.8, multiple tripods, filters, etc. which starts adding up. I'm stabilized now and saving for PPL.

I meant 70-200 VR II. Don't see how to edit post in tapatalk

You underestimate your abilities as a photographer, that is an awesome picture. As for my hobbies I do photography, boating, scuba, tried and failed guitar, and driving my Viper. But to be honest most of my hobbies have lost out to flying.

Doug

between Track Days and buying guns and shooting. its hard to find where to spend my money

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg
Remington 700? What range was that?

I'm more of a close range, tactical shooter. My toys, below, are an Olympic Arms K16-SST and a Springfield XD40 Service.

I also enjoy rock climbing and the outdoors (in particular primitive survival), R/C flying (I just have a cheap Super Cub with tundra wheels, snow skies, and floats), and cooking.

Attachments

• 564258_1981602061737_1946803132_n.jpg
    564258_1981602061737_1946803132_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 27
  • 429313_1885883308828_1217742561_n.jpg
    429313_1885883308828_1217742561_n.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 26

I'm more of a close range, tactical shooter. My toys, below, are an Olympic Arms K16-SST and a Springfield XD40 Service.

I also enjoy rock climbing and the outdoors (in particular primitive survival), R/C flying (I just have a cheap Super Cub with tundra wheels, snow skies, and floats), and cooking.
I can't post pretty pictures of my stuff like that. I got rid of all my guns and ammo. Yessiree, nope, no guns here. Ain't nobody here but us chickens.

You underestimate your abilities as a photographer, that is an awesome picture. As for my hobbies I do photography, boating, scuba, tried and failed guitar, and driving my Viper. But to be honest most of my hobbies have lost out to flying.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I really need to shoot more. I got discouraged when I had to get a new computer and didn't have photoshop anymore so that didn't help anything. I'd like to get some shots of the R182 but I'm not sure how exactly. I mean I know how... but well you get the idea. I don't need anymore pictures of her on the ground... I want some sexy ones of her with the gear up :) All these posts of yours I've seen and I didn't know you had a Viper. I think my Corvette would kick your butt though :D

I can't post pretty pictures of my stuff like that. I got rid of all my guns and ammo. Yessiree, nope, no guns here. Ain't nobody here but us chickens.
Man, that sucks. Sorry to hear. For me, the shooting/training is not only for fun, but also practical for self-defense. (Already came in handy once.)

The bikes are old and Japanese, and thus not terribly costly. I won't put up any photos, as both are stock and neither is particularly attractive. One has to eat, so cooking is not egregiously expensive. While the paper I use for my Origami is decidedly not free neither is it expensive in aviation terms. Throw in the POS old car I just bought and I can afford to fly my little puddle jumper. A few Origami photos just because I feel like it:

origami-ironman.jpg
origami2.jpg
Origami-Elephant.jpg
origami-compound-of-prisms.jpg
Amazing-Origami-01.jpg
83476059_96f5e9947a.jpg

How about these happy hobbies....helping a friend take care of a fleet of foreign military vehicles. Glad the russians made everything simple....

Czech built version of the RussianT55 AM-2 tank. Last upgrade in 92 then sold to a collector in England, now here in the US.

T55AM2leftfront.jpg

Czech built version of the Russian BMP-1 infantry fighting vehicle.
BMP1runningagain.jpg

Czech recon version of the BMP-1 - BPzV
walkaround5.jpg

None of the guns are live but the vehicles are runners. Tanks are neat but a pain to work on and drive. The BMP's are really cool, easy to drive and pretty fast.

Frank

I'm "retired" now but at the time high-altitude mountaineering killed more of my life insurance underwriting attempts than my pilot certificate.

Now boating competes for my time and financial resources - something about living on an island in the summer. Fortunately for both I've yet to find the perfect cruiser/tug/motorsailer. I also own two bicycles but I mostly use those for transportation and so that time and cost simply replaces a second automobile.

Skiing too but I'm not an obsessive stick collector like some so not a spendy avocation for me.

Last edited:

Yeah Remington 700P with Viper Vortex PST 4-16x50 FFP. Only 100 yards there is a 200 yard shoot once a month but i can never make it out there.

This us keeping me busy today...if you call work a "hobby".

There's more to the right. Just couldn't get it all in. Heh.

Four HP DL380G7 (maybe G8?), with dual eight T1 Digium cards. Piles of RAM not in the shot, and all those stupid individual boxes are one hard drive each. (HP and their goofy packaging...)

Just a "small" 896 phone line expansion...

e4ahy3e2.jpg

Long distance running is my main "athletic" hobby, my longest was a 50km ultra, but mainly I do normal marathons
I climb as much as I can, but there's nothing outdoors in Chicago (I go to Madison, WI often in the summer for this). Hardest I've done TR was 5.11b, Lead-sport 5.10c (indoor), and lead-trad a 5.10a

Video games with my wife are pretty much 100% of my time outside of flying, running, climbing, and working. My wife out-leagues me in starcraft 2 >__<

The bikes are old and Japanese, and thus not terribly costly. I won't put up any photos, as both are stock and neither is particularly attractive. One has to eat, so cooking is not egregiously expensive. While the paper I use for my Origami is decidedly not free neither is it expensive in aviation terms. Throw in the POS old car I just bought and I can afford to fly my little puddle jumper. A few Origami photos just because I feel like it:

[

Holy crap, Batman, that is AWESOME!!

Is gardening considered a hobby when you dread having to go out and tend to the weeds and move the sprinklers and kill rodents?
Dirt slope is where all the squash gets planted, behind that is 120 Rainier cherry trees. Trees in line with the greenhouse are 3 varieties of apples, plums, 'cots, peaches and Bosc pears. Also have three other varieties of cherries and Asian pears.
IMG_3294.jpg

Just started taking karate lessons, its a lot of fun, even if its gonna kill me in the end. lol

Bought a pair of compound bows while at Cabelas two years ago. I can hunt on my property, so one of these short tailed forest rats will be inside of my freezer fairly soon.
fe34b466.jpg

Found this when I was in Minnesota last fall, it fits perfectly in my purse or the pocket of my Aerostich Roadcrafter:
a4bfb36b.jpg

Then there is my fun hobby, motorcycles. Couple of vintage airheads, this one is my 78 R45/N:
r45back.jpg

One of the baby GS's and the CRF230 out playing on some of the half billion miles of USFS roads around the house:
suagrloaf1.jpg

The NT700 and the NC700 on the 'other' Lolo Pass in Oregon, Mt Hood in the background.
83943258.jpg

Last edited:
Horses, and you thought flying was expensive!

Attachments

• Urbana Horse Show 001.jpg
    Urbana Horse Show 001.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Kam kissing Bree.JPG
    Kam kissing Bree.JPG
    771.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Back