Henning's Odyssey

Flightaware at 14:00 Chip has a ground speed of 565 knots! What a pilot!!! What a plane!!!

Needs to report speed as Mach # <g>

Best,

Dave

Flightaware at 14:00 Chip has a ground speed of 565 knots! What a pilot!!! What a plane!!!

Best,

Dave

Well.......... he did pick up Henning........and here I thought he showed ME some cool power settings. ;)

Diana and Tom, I might be up for popping down to the farm one day this weekend if that would be OK. And I'm wondering what shape the runway is in. Braking action might be important:yes:. I'd likely be flying the Baron. Runway requirements would depend on how many folks come with. What's the nearest airport with paved runways in the 3500-4000 ft range?

Diana and Tom, I might be up for popping down to the farm one day this weekend if that would be OK. And I'm wondering what shape the runway is in. Braking action might be important:yes:. I'd likely be flying the Baron. Runway requirements would depend on how many folks come with. What's the nearest airport with paved runways in the 3500-4000 ft range?

I would of course be very interested in coming with. I'm uh..valuable and stuff--I'll...uhh--sing if your XM radio quits.

Well.......... he did pick up Henning........and here I thought he showed ME some cool power settings. ;)

Ben caled me earlier today after they landed in Sante Fe. Henning got my Cherokee up to 171mph!

Sailors always manage to do just a little better than mere mortals. :yes:

I told you guys my Cherokee hauls butt!!! :goofy:

What's the nearest airport with paved runways in the 3500-4000 ft range?
When I was there I landed at KLAA Lamar Mun 5.5nm from 08MO. Nice airport but only 2900', next would be Joplin Regl KJLN 6500' 17.5nm.

Diana?

Joe

Best,

Dave

That was me demonstrating my patented power management metaphysics and time displacement technique. Don't ask Chip how, he has been sworn to secrecy and if he says anything he will retroactively evaporate into the ether five minutes before he said it so you won't know anyway.

yeah, we made it to SAF in great shape.

The funniest thing I remember was divebombing the podunk airport at St. John's, Ariz., because we had to pee really bad. We raced in, and the guy at the counter said, "Sorry, restrooms are closed. You can't use 'em!"

We did a little dance, raced out the front door with me yelling, "At least they got some bushes outside!"

Guy at front desk comes back out hollering, "Hey! I was just kidding! Go ahead!"

Here are some pix. Filenames explain what's going on in them -- especially the one with us in front of Andy's Cherokee!

I will wait and build suspense to show the photo of us going 171 in Andy's "sweet but slow" Cherokee!

Attachments

• henning&BenwithAndysCherokeeonWaytoMexico.jpg
    henning&BenwithAndysCherokeeonWaytoMexico.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 48
  • henningLeftSeatOverZuniNM.jpg
    henningLeftSeatOverZuniNM.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 43
  • MtnFlyinginCherokeeoverMtTa.jpg
    MtnFlyinginCherokeeoverMtTa.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 35
I would of course be very interested in coming with. I'm uh..valuable and stuff--I'll...uhh--sing if your XM radio quits.

I've heard your singing voice and I'm not buyin it. You are welcome to come along anyway (if I go) since I can always use the pilot isolate feature on the intercom.

OK, here's proof that Andy's Cherokee "kicks butt," as he says.

But, there's a clue in the photo as to how we managed to get to 171. See if you can spot it....

Attachments

• FastestCherokeeEver.jpg
    FastestCherokeeEver.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 57
Hurry Ben, hurry!!! I need proof, of my unusually fast Cherokee 140!

The bird looked good in the first picture, if I do say so myself! :yes:

I sure wished I could have made the trip, maybe next time?!

That was me demonstrating my patented power management metaphysics and time displacement technique. Don't ask Chip how, he has been sworn to secrecy and if he says anything he will retroactively evaporate into the ether five minutes before he said it so you won't know anyway.

Yea, well... I'll know better than to put Henning in charge of "turbulence management" next time!

Henning, it was a pleasure to meet you and have a chance to visit. I enjoyed it (even if you did break my landing gear light). Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Hurry Ben, hurry!!! I need proof, of my unusually fast Cherokee 140!

The bird looked good in the first picture, if I do say so myself! :yes:

I sure wished I could have made the trip, maybe next time?!

Posted!

We were halfway to Mexico when we decided to get out and take a photo. Went to Santa Fe afterwards. :D

But, there's a clue in the photo as to how we managed to get to 171. See if you can spot it....

You mean the near 2000 FPM descent?

Awww come on Ben. I know you're better at Photoshop, than that! Couldn't you have gotten rid of the VSI?! ;)

Looks like you guys had fun!

Did Henning make it all of the way to MO using three different GA planes? The power of the internet and cooperation of the Pilots on this board is amazing.

Thanks again for posting the Pics!

You guys are too sharp for me!!

That's a real pix. And, just so you can rest easy, we were only over red line on the RPMs for about 2 seconds...

Yea, well... I'll know better than to put Henning in charge of "turbulence management" next time!

Henning, it was a pleasure to meet you and have a chance to visit. I enjoyed it (even if you did break my landing gear light). Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Chip, it was nice to meet you today, too!

Hope we all stay in touch!

One last photo ...

This one of Henning and Chip in Santa Fe. (Notice the landing light on the nosegear still looks good... :rofl: )

Attachments

• henning&ChipLandingLightSti.jpg
    henning&ChipLandingLightSti.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 56

I introduce you to temporal displacement, and this is the thanks I get..."It was bumpy and we blew a 12 cent light bulb..."...sheesh

Chip and the Time Travelling Bo...

Chip (Medium) (2).jpg

Ok, Henning, I'm thoroughly lost, confused, and starting to wander.....
Can somebody puleeze post a comprehensive list of who took our lost soul where, in what type of plane? I've lost count of the pilots, planes places, meals, naps.

:dunno:

Nice Whiskers BTW......

When I was there I landed at KLAA Lamar Mun 5.5nm from 08MO. Nice airport but only 2900', next would be Joplin Regl KJLN 6500' 17.5nm.

Diana?

Joe

Man, don't punch that into the GPS and just fly the magenta line!! You'll end up at Lamar in Colorardo, not Lamar in Missouri (KLLU is what you want!).

Man, don't punch that into the GPS and just fly the magenta line!! You'll end up at Lamar in Colorardo, not Lamar in Missouri (KLLU is what you want!).

OOPS, I knew that:no:, but time direction and distance wouldn't have worked.

Thanks for catching it.

I introduce you to temporal displacement, and this is the thanks I get..."It was bumpy and we blew a 12 cent light bulb..."...sheesh

Yes, a 12 cent bulb.... but it's a Beech part. I'm guessing $62.95 (plus shipping). :yes:

I saw the altimeter and was wondering why this new professional was more than a hundred feet off a VFR altitude. Then, I saw the VSI.

"Going down..."

You mean the near 2000 FPM descent?

Is that a fixed pitch prop on the plane? I saw the "near 2000 FPM descent" on the VSI, but what also caught my eye was the apparent over-redline on the RPM gauge. :eek: Or is that an optical delusion?

[edit: never mind, just saw the follow-up post about "only for a couple of seconds"]

Henning, I just got to read this thread today, sorry your trip didn't take you through Dallas! Would have been a pleasure to meet you.

Last edited:
Is that a fixed pitch prop on the plane? I saw the "near 2000 FPM descent" on the VSI, but what also caught my eye was the apparent over-redline on the RPM gauge. :eek: Or is that an optical delusion?
Gosh, I didn't look down that far. Uh oh... and, I have a mock ride tomorrow and the real thing on Sunday!

"Look alive! Attention to detail!"

Hey Henning, how are you getting to florida from where you are now?

I'm flying to sebring, fl from western kentucky on wednesday or thursday next week. You're welcome to tag along.

Oh yeah, hello everyone, I'm new here but have been in the red boards for some time.

[edit: never mind, just saw the follow-up post about "only for a couple of seconds"]

Henning, I just got to read this thread today, sorry your trip didn't take you through Dallas! Would have been a pleasure to meet you.

Actually, it was a high photo view angle as well. Wish I could have made Dallas as well, it's freaking freezing here. Gonna have to dig the long johns out of the bag.:hairraise:

Hey Henning, how are you getting to florida from where you are now?

I'm flying to sebring, fl from western kentucky on wednesday or thursday next week. You're welcome to tag along.

Oh yeah, hello everyone, I'm new here but have been in the red boards for some time.

Gotta luxo 310 ride to Atlanta Woo Hooo!!!! From there to Orlando ???? From Orlando to Ft Lauderdale????

Back