Henning's Odyssey

I don't blame you for taking the 310, hell I'd rather be in the 310 myself. When are you going to be in atl? I have to be in sebring sometime on thursday the 22nd. I'm planning on leaving either wed. or thur. depending on what the weather is doing since I'm not done with my IR and have to be VFR. If any of those dates work out for you atl is'nt a detour at all for me as I'll pass maybe 50nm west of there on a direct flight.

Is that a fixed pitch prop on the plane? I saw the "near 2000 FPM descent" on the VSI, but what also caught my eye was the apparent over-redline on the RPM gauge. :eek: Or is that an optical delusion?

[edit: never mind, just saw the follow-up post about "only for a couple of seconds"]

Actually the tach reads about 100 rpm too high at 2700 rpm. I just got a new True Tach II optical tachometer. (I couldn't give up all my toys Ben! ;) ) I got to try it out during my trip to Payson last Sunday, it's pretty cool!

When I flew Frank Holberts SuperViking at the fly-in a few weeks ago, he had one and I thought I'd give it a try. Only one use so far, but for $165. I like it!

You guys could have run 100 rpm faster. No wonder you didn't break 200, next time give it a better effort! :rofl:

When ya gonna be in Atlanta? I may have to break away to meet the "legend." :)

That is yet to be determined but end of the weekish?/?/? Not quite sure, but I do know that I won't survive this frozen tundra long....

Actually, it was a high photo view angle as well. Wish I could have made Dallas as well, it's freaking freezing here. Gonna have to dig the long johns out of the bag.:hairraise:
Boo hoo. You've been down under too long. You've been cold since you arrived LAX. BTW: it was +80F in SoCal today, tied the record for this day temp in Long Beach.

Ut oh. Wind chill is 10 degrees at the farm this morning. A few snow flakes are blowing around out there.

KJLN 171253Z 32021G29KT 10SM OVC026 M04/M09 A3004 RMK AO2 PK WND 31033/1157

Probably won't go flying with Henning today, and we might not be able to get him out there with a chain saw either. ;)

Please count me in. I would love to meet the legend too! I'm always up for a $100 Hamburger. How about a dinner at the "Flying Machine" at LZU?

It is supposed to be nice weather next week. I think we'll be warming up after the weekend.

When ya gonna be in Atlanta? I may have to break away to meet the "legend." :)

I guess Diana left out that part... She flew him in because she needed a free farm hand. :D

I've never been to the "Flying Machine" but I'm game. The othe standard is the Downwind Restaurant at PDK.

Chip, Henning -

Just be happy it was only the light bulb.

Chip, Henning -

Just be happy it was only the light bulb.

Yeah, we did some in air bulb swapping and got a functioning indication, and I had already cleared away space for the manual extension, so we we're in good shape. Nose gear failure isn't really that big of a deal anyway. Rarely does anyone get hurt and the insurance fixes the plane. Poor Chip would be stuck just flying the Extra for a couple of weeks...:p

I guess Diana left out that part... She flew him in because she needed a free farm hand. :D
Absolutely! Unfortunately, we haven't seen much work out of him yet...something about the wind chill makes him reluctant. :D Looks like we will just have to plan a fly-in instead. :yes:

Nose gear failure isn't really that big of a deal anyway. Rarely does anyone get hurt and the insurance fixes the plane.
yep, engine got back on the 182RG this week, should be flying again by end of next.
Poor Chip would be stuck just flying the Extra for a couple of weeks...:p
yea that lucky dog

You know, before this thread, I thought Henning was Black (R). Just look at his avatar! Now, he must be one of the most photographed pilots on PoA! AND he needs a shave! :rofl:

I'm really hoping I get a chance to meet him. Maybe when Leslie and I are down in FL next month! It would give us tWO reasons to rent a plane and go to the Fort Lauderdale area. (Her mother currently lives in Margate).

Ok, Henning, I'm thoroughly lost, confused, and starting to wander.....
Can somebody puleeze post a comprehensive list of who took our lost soul where, in what type of plane? I've lost count of the pilots, planes places, meals, naps.

:dunno:

Nice Whiskers BTW......

Here you go. If Henning will keep me posted I'll update it as the trip progresses.

Last edited:
.....and I was thinking of suggesting my Fort Lauderdale former wife(but still good friend) contact him to say, "Hello," for me, but in view of his recent tales that might not be a good idea. (( Of course, I'm being facetious, here ))

HR

Looks good Chip! Thanks.

Do we count the trips Henning and I made around the farm in the old farm truck?

I was thinking of starting a poll. If I make chili tomorrow for our fly-in, should I put lots of veggies in it (my way) :yes: or leave it without veggies (Hennings's way)? :no: :dunno:

Looks good Chip! Thanks.

I was thinking of starting a poll. If I make chili tomorrow for our fly-in, should I put lots of veggies in it (my way) :yes: or leave it without veggies (Hennings's way)? :no: :dunno:

You might want to ask Robert Gerace, who'll be in a small plane with Henning at altitude ... :eek:

:D

Looks good Chip! Thanks.

Hennings way! Keep the veggies to a minimum. IMHO. ;) (lots of onions though)

But make sure there is so much meat, you can stand up a fork in it! :yes:

I did not make it Atlanta (KPDK) this weekend, but Susan did. She met Henning and the other folks who showed up at PDK. Susan went to Atlanta to attend her brother's birthday party which was held in the old KPDK control tower. The Henning party was going on at the same time at KPDK's "Downwind" restaurant. Photos attached.

And we missed you, too. As well as the pictures you "attached".
See my thread in Hangar talk with pictures of Henning and Susan doing the Tango at "Downwind".....
I hope to see Susan's pictures soon.

Yeah, he's cleaned up, BUT HE'S KISSIN' A MAN !! Bllleech!

How about names to put with those faces?

Joe

Left to Right:
Dr. Bill (Bobcatsndogs), his lovely wife,
Rich Padula, Matt Roberts, (Leigh's Son) Keith Lane, Henning, Leigh Roberts, Lance Flynn

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    411 KB · Views: 59
So, Henning, where are you these days? Are you in Florida yet?

I believe Mr. Henning is settling down a bit in Atlanta ... schmoozing with waitresses, etc ... who knows? He may not see FL for quite some time! heheheh....

I believe Mr. Henning is settling down a bit in Atlanta ... schmoozing with waitresses, etc ... who knows? He may not see FL for quite some time! heheheh....

Something like that... Atlanta is being good to me, might stay....

ah, yes ... ya wouldn't be the first one to decide to stick in atlanta, Jaw-ja. ;)

He needs to change his location again. AND DON'T SPELL IT JAW-JA. I saw that another member on here wrote that and I had to ask what it ment bc I didn't know where jaw-ja was. :dunno: I do know where Atlanta, Georgia is though. :yes:

He needs to change his location again. AND DON'T SPELL IT JAW-JA. I saw that another member on here wrote that and I had to ask what it ment bc I didn't know where jaw-ja was. :dunno: I do know where Atlanta, Georgia is though. :yes:
See, if you were from down here, you'd know exactly what jaw-ja meant... and wheah it is. I mean, really - just say it out loud ...

I knew what it meant but I don't say it like that. Then again, few people in the metro Atlanta area are native to it (I am not) and the R-dropping "classic deep south" accent is pretty rare. I still rather like the phonetic spelling of it, though.

As for Henning...well, he's not saying, so it MUST be a woman!

Good thing for him, too. :yes:

Back