Henning gone west

With a lot of the stuff I’ve seen here in Florida, and heard about from highly reliable sources, I don’t doubt Henning’s exploits. There are others like him. It would’ve been fun to meet him, fun to run around with him, and probably more than a bit dangerous.

I remember talking to him about mortality and how many myriad ways we have to leave this life. His opinion was" we all have to die of something, might as well be in a fiery crash."

I hope he went out in a blaze of something.

RIP, Cap.

Somewhere I still have a screenshot of a post of his where he said he could do a better job than the German pilot who intentionally crashed a commercial jet, killing all onboard. And that he’d be doing the doomed passengers a favor by providing them with a quick and painless death. I remember exactly where and when I read that post and the feeling it gave me In the pit of my stomach.

THAT is my primary recollection of Henning.
I had forgotten about that. That post shocked me, because in all the posts of his that I had previously read, I had no idea that he harbored such dark thoughts.

I had forgotten about that. That post shocked me, because in all the posts of his that I had previously read, I had no idea that he harbored such dark thoughts.
Oh, I can, no worries. If I ever commit suicide, I plan to take way more.
Nope, if I'm committing suicide, God is in no laughing mood, I'd be doing the people a favor with a quick painless death while screwing myself.

I always wondered if someone should have, or maybe did, report that post to authorities. Certainly qualifies as a warning sign, even if posted in jest.

Henning had many demons running around inside his head, something for which I don't think he ever received any sort of help.

Henning had many demons running around inside his head, something for which I don't think he ever received any sort of help.
You did say he was drunk. So he was self medicating?

As I mentioned elsewhere, I "knew" Henning for a number of years on a number of boards. If you didn't take everything he said seriously, he was an interesting dude. The trick was to know when to disbelief what he claimed. I didn't have that trick nailed down, so I didn't take much of what he said seriously. He was interesting and will be missed. Fair skies and tailwinds.

Or he’d been everywhere, done everything (and nearly everyone), and really was The Most Interesting Man in the World.

Or somewhere in between.

Regardless of what the mix was, he’ll be missed.
Yeah. I don’t know why every story has to be true to be enjoyed. I suspected he was full of **** sometimes. When he started talking about flying crop dusters I knew he was full of it. Some of his comments just didn’t hold water. Although I could see the foundational knowledge underneath the big yarn he was selling. I have no doubt he flew crop dusters. Just not quite the way he said he did… same with the mile high club helicopter skid story. I figure that happened as well but the helicopter was probably hangared in Denver.

Regardless I am sad to hear he passed and would have enjoyed the moment of sharing a beer with the man.

Imagine having the thing that people most remember about you when you pass be what big lies you told when alive. I sure hope most of you strive to leave a bigger legacy than that. I know I do.

Henning ever hold an legit FAA pilot certificate?

8d7ae12adfe16d0270272454472a5151.jpg

Yeah. I don’t know why every story has to be true to be enjoyed. I suspected he was full of **** sometimes.
I clearly remember on one of the boards where he got busted by someone who was actually involved in the incident he described, and as I recall it had to do with the deaths of one or more crewmembers that didn't actually die, or something like that . . .

I clearly remember on one of the boards where he got busted by someone who was actually involved in the incident he described, and as I recall it had to do with the deaths of one or more crewmembers that didn't actually die, or something like that . . .

See post 24

I've refrained from posting in a "don't speak ill of the dead" kind of way, so thanks for saying that. I think it captures him perfectly, without being overly harsh to someone who can't defend themself.

I did get the sense that he had a lot of inner battles that were masked through his lifestyle to some degree. I wouldn’t be terribly shocked if his demise was self imposed. I never agree with dishonesty and exaggeration, but I suspect for him, it was some sort of coping mechanism. I could be wrong.

What was the final straw that got him ousted from POA?

True.
and fret not...
even if he is, they may send him back! :lol:

True story:

Last night I had a dream that Henning responded to a post on Facebook. The initial reaction was "A ha! He DID fake his death!"

But it turned out that he'd just figured out how to post online from the afterlife.

Either would've been on brand for him.

I’ve been here a long time and I must say he offered some good stories. True or not, didn’t matter to me. They were like watching a car crash. RIP

Imagine having the thing that people most remember about you when you pass be what big lies you told when alive. I sure hope most of you strive to leave a bigger legacy than that. I know I do.

If they're in writing, they call you a novelist.

I’ve been here a long time and I must say he offered some good stories. True or not, didn’t matter to me. They were like watching a car crash. RIP
I agree. I always enjoy reading good fiction.

I remember he spent a little time here in the Atlanta area. I would have like to have met him.

Yeah he had some tall tales.

Seems apropos

“I really didn’t say everything I said,”
-Yogi Berra

Reactions: Ted
So does this mean Whitney has gone west too?

With a lot of the stuff I’ve seen here in Florida, and heard about from highly reliable sources, I don’t doubt Henning’s exploits. There are others like him. It would’ve been fun to meet him, fun to run around with him, and probably more than a bit dangerous.
Well….I was laying over on a Hawker trip in Ft Lauderdale once and the other pilot and I took him out to dinner. Meh. Totally dullsville. Maybe he was having an off day.

Had a great POA dinner when he was in Denver, many years ago. Mari, Mark, maybe Nate - a full table having a grand time.

Last FB post was Jan 21 this year.
Also, I think "come from together" Clark. The only weird thing is when he (Henning) kissed my hand. I don't think that had ever happened to me before or since...

What was the final straw that got him ousted from POA?
It may have been on the Germanwings thread or soon after. I remember seeing that post of his too, being very shocked, and then soon after he was banned and didn’t return. Prior to that, I took his posts in good jest but after, I just couldn’t read whatever he chose to write about.

Fair skies and tailwinds, cap’n.

Back