Getting home from Oshkosh - the long way round

lol Salty's going to have so many volunteers he'll spend more time switching planes than in the air.

...warms the cockles of the heart...Nice to know there is a community of good people still left in the world.
It is amazing that a group of people constantly on the hunt for an excuse to fly somewhere found an excuse! ;) Seriously, it is pretty cool. I'd offer but don't want to go down as the one who flew the slowest leg :)

Last edited:
Post up your route - if you’re stopping over in Atl area we all can net up for lunch. We could make this a progressive POA get together!

The more stops, the more free lunch and dinners for you!

I can help with leg 1 if needed - based in KFIN, could get you up to Alabama/TN ish.

Burlington Iowa - at least there is an FBO there that has services, and as mentioned that FBO has other locations also, so there’s some backup support.

It could be worse. Looking only for cheap gas en route can have the downside of getting stranded at a field with less support, or none at all..

We weren't even stopping for gas, just the rest room. I picked it because it had two big runways and a regional, but that didn't mean anything in this case.

The governor is on its way to the place it came from 7 months ago (only 48 hours on it since overhaul) for a bench test. It's out of warrantee, but they did say they would bump me to the front of the line.

Just glad you didn’t have an over speed in the air.

Yep. This was my prop gov failure a few years ago. The bad news is it did happen in the air and resulted in an engine over speed (I had just initiated a missed approach on a practice instrument approach) when I heard a loud bang. Took a moment to figure out what was going on but by then it was too late— next step was a tear down, new prop, mags, alternators (everything that rotates. Luckily insurance covered it all to the tune of about $30K.

Attachments

• 65489C4D-4700-42EE-8EC5-CC92D7DDF497.jpeg
    65489C4D-4700-42EE-8EC5-CC92D7DDF497.jpeg
    299.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 36F65622-F9FD-46C7-9C0E-20A09F182B35.jpeg
    36F65622-F9FD-46C7-9C0E-20A09F182B35.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 53
If "like you" means something in audit, no thanks. If it's operational FP&A, I'm listening.
Thought you dabbled more into analytics. We're building an operational risk analytics team within IT.

Thought you dabbled more into analytics. We're building an operational risk analytics team within IT.
I do run an analytics team currently but I'm a traditional accountant that just happens to know SQL so they figure I know how to lead the team. :) Risk is not what I want my future to be in. I could do it, but I don’t enjoy it. I like running ops focused teams.

Sorry Salty for derailing your thread. ;)

We weren't even stopping for gas, just the rest room. I picked it because it had two big runways and a regional, but that didn't mean anything in this case.

The governor is on its way to the place it came from 7 months ago (only 48 hours on it since overhaul) for a bench test. It's out of warrantee, but they did say they would bump me to the front of the line.
That’s a really short time. What is the warranty?

If it falls in two pieces on the way home, both pieces are yours to keep! That’s our guarantee!

Burlington Iowa - at least there is an FBO there that has services, and as mentioned that FBO has other locations also, so there’s some backup support.

It could be worse. Looking only for cheap gas en route can have the downside of getting stranded at a field with less support, or none at all..

If you commercial into the area and need help getting to it let me know.

Thanks. When it's fixed, I'll reach out and try to build a flight plan.

Yep. This was my prop gov failure a few years ago. The bad news is it did happen in the air and resulted in an engine over speed (I had just initiated a missed approach on a practice instrument approach) when I heard a loud bang. Took a moment to figure out what was going on but by then it was too late— next step was a tear down, new prop, mags, alternators (everything that rotates. Luckily insurance covered it all to the tune of about $30K.

how was mechanical failure covered by insurance?

how was mechanical failure covered by insurance?

It wasn't. I paid out of pocket for a new prop gov. But the "damage" caused by the gov's failure and subsequent overspeed was covered. My policy was through Falcon and AIG was the underwriter.

prop governor passed all tests. Not sure what's next :(

Back