Getting home from Oshkosh - the long way round

Not much in Moberly but cheap(er) fuel and it doesn't seem like it or SET is on the way to Florida. If you want to make a stop at 3MY (cheaper fuel than Moberly), Neil and I are both here. Plenty of tools and extra eyes if you need any help. There is also a nice (and reasonable) hotel walking distance from the airport https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/ameri...AA&iata=00094113&cid=ME:nnwgfbcvsaei9zr:51926 and plenty of close food options.
Both of the others are closer to home than 3MY, but I can make that work. I didn't know where you were based.

Both of the others are closer to home than 3MY, but I can make that work. I didn't know where you were based.
I am around all Friday afternoon and all Saturday morning. Happy to meet you at 3MY and help in anyway. My hangar and tools are available if needed. PM me and I can shoot you my number.

Interesting side note, the commercial flight from Chicago to Burlington is in a Tecnam 2012. Didn't realize anybody was using them for regional stuff in the US. Maybe I can get the copilot seat for the trip. I can't imagine they are using a crew of 2 for one of those.

Interesting side note, the commercial flight from Chicago to Burlington is in a Tecnam 2012. Didn't realize anybody was using them for regional stuff in the US. Maybe I can get the copilot seat for the trip. I can't imagine they are using a crew of 2 for one of those.
Around here, that's got to be Cape Air.

Hopefully you get a good Midwest PoA welcome! I'm neck deep in Fiscal '23 planning, multi training, and Halloween stuff so I'll be unavailable.

I guess the parties going to be at 3my

Hopefully you get a good Midwest PoA welcome! I'm neck deep in Fiscal '23 planning, multi training, and Halloween stuff so I'll be unavailable.
Did we meet at Oshkosh with JimK? It’s all a bit of a blur now.

They run a Tecnam 2012 between Quincy and Chicago as well.

Lame. I just did my 23 budget watching the Bears game last night. Git er done!

We have not had the pleasure. And although JimK and I are often in the same place, I did not make Osh this past year.

Lame. I just did my 23 budget watching the Bears game last night. Git er done!
It's not 'my' budget. It's IT's... and it'll go on for a while. Banks have loads of approvals and committees :rolleyes:

So here's my tentative plan. On Friday, after bending over and taking my raping from the mechanic, take a short hop around the pattern and do an inspection, then take a short flight to maybe KMBY or KSET and do another detailed inspection and stop for the night.
I may have lost the bubble on iterations after this post but let me know if your plans bring you through KSET.

Nauga,
exiled

You might be thinking of me and Jim in the north 40 and my Mooney. Wish I could join this one but currently out in Cali on a trade show. Unsurprisingly, my budget is also due.

You might be thinking of me and Jim in the north 40 and my Mooney. Wish I could join this one but currently out in Cali on a trade show. Unsurprisingly, my budget is also due.
I believe you are correct.

My real plane is in the shop until Nov 1, but I could probably get the Cessna. Still in the field though. I'll see where I'm at as it gets closer.

I've taken that one from Chicago to Quincy. Amazing that there's enough demand for it.
Cape Air has the Essential Air Service contract for Montana, flying Cessna 402s and Tecnam P2012s between Billings and a handful of small towns across the eastern half of the state. They get a subsidy that I think is based on seats filled, so they can sell tickets for a low enough price to fill a seat or two. Sometimes, a flight fills up and they have to send a second plane. I would imagine their business model in Illinois is similar or identical.

I've heard good and bad things about the Tecnams compared with the Cessnas. I've only flown on the Cessnas and I never got the copilot seat. I think they do the same thing in the Tecnams as the Cessnas, but I'm not sure: The copilot seat is available for a passenger if the W&B works out and the pilot is comfortable with it. But they also sometimes have a second pilot to build time in the plane, and I would imagine they do that more with the Tecnams (being new) than with the Cessnas (which everyone and his mother has 10,000 hours in), so you have a lower chance of sitting up front in the Tecnam than the Cessna. But be friendly to the ground crew and maybe they'll give you the good seat.

Those Tecnams look like sweet airplanes. I got to sit in the pilot seat of one and check it all out here in Mass. I would ask if you can ride co-pilot, just promise not to touch the controls.

This thread was opened on Aug 1, and it is now end of Oct. My initial thought is you really did take the LONG way home...........

:)

This thread was opened on Aug 1, and it is now end of Oct. My initial thought is you really did take the LONG way home...........

:)
When I posted, I figured it would be a couple months. But not because they had no clue what was wrong.

When I posted, I figured it would be a couple months. But not because they had no clue what was wrong.
It seems like a slog and a long wait, but glad to see it headed in the right direction. Any idea / conjecture on how the plug rotated?

It seems like a slog and a long wait, but glad to see it headed in the right direction. Any idea / conjecture on how the plug rotated?
It didn’t help that the mechanics were an hour away. I’ll give them high marks if the bill is reasonable. I’ve been waiting for a couple days now for the bill, which has me worried…..

They didn't have to drop the engine and split the crankcase - whatever the bill is, could have been a lot worse. (If that's any consolation ...)

They didn't have to drop the engine and split the crankcase - whatever the bill is, could have been a lot worse. (If that's any consolation ...)
This is true... ask me how I know :confused:

Well, I am paying for an Iran on the 3 blade prop, so it’s not going to be cheap.

In the past I have asked specifically at check-in, as a Cessna twin driver (then), for the right seat on Cape Air and it was happily accommodated. Figured I would learn something from a pilot managing power with a pair of engines very similar to the those on my T310Q and that was true.

After no one but me has flown it for a month, some jackwagon reserved the Cessna today & tomorrow, so I'm out. Hope everything goes well. I'm sure you'll be glad to have her back.

After no one but me has flown it for a month, some jackwagon reserved the Cessna today & tomorrow, so I'm out. Hope everything goes well. I'm sure you'll be glad to have her back.
Thanks. Bummer about the rental.

I am still waiting for it

Back