Getting home from Oshkosh - the long way round

To be clear, the problem is not solved. This is actually bad news as nobody knows what the problem is, we only know one thing that it isn't. And that thing was the most likely thing.

Yeah next step is probably to take the prop off and check it out. Bummer.

Hmm, that sucks Salty. What about the engine, do you have any type of data recording, things like rpm and oil pressure?

Salty, I don't know whose prop you have, but I would make a call to the prop manufacturer and talk to a technical guy there if you can get through. Something isn't adding up, obviously, but these guys should have an idea.

Edit:

Hartzell even gives a service center number, I'd call them if I were you (and it's their prop)
(937) 778-4201

Last edited:
Latest update, after cycling the prop with paddles they discovered it did not move properly and made strange sounds. It’s coming off and going to the shop.

Latest update, after cycling the prop with paddles they discovered it did not move properly and made strange sounds. It’s coming off and going to the shop.
Well, at least there is some process of elimination going on. But I’m guessing warranty, if there is one, won’t cover the labor to remove and replace.

No warranty on the prop.

No warranty on the prop.

True, but worst case you're out several AMU's. The good side is that your prop failed and it didn't put you and the airplane in a beanfield or a smoking hole.

Reactions: WDD
Check that governor shaft while the prop is off. SB1560

Depending on when things get done and if you're looking for a ride most of the way there, I'm dropping my dad's Six off this weekend for Jesse Saint to bring in the 21st century. Should be done sometime in October. I hope yours gets resolved before then.

I’m guessing it will be about another month.

I’ve discovered that there are calendar months and A&P months. A&P months seem to average about 2.5 calendar months.

Which is significantly better than software estimates. Take the worst case estimate (say 2 weeks), double it (4 weeks), add one (5 weeks), then convert to the next higher units. (5 months...)

Which is significantly better than software estimates. Take the worst case estimate (say 2 weeks), double it (4 weeks), add one (5 weeks), then convert to the next higher units. (5 months...)

Sounds about right. My experience with software estimates was that the LSB was about 6 months, and any bits of greater resolution were merely noise.

Ok, I just got word that the plane has been fixed. I don't know how yet, will update on that later.

So, I'm looking to get to Burlington this weekend. Let's start at the last leg and work backward. Can anybody get me from a larger airport nearby to KBRL on the 28 or 29th? Something like Cedar Rapids CID, Springfield SPI, Gary GYY, or something else near St Louis or Chicago? I can uber from the bigger airports to a smaller one if needed. Worst case, I can get fairly cheap flights into any of those. The fare to BRL isn't even that horrible, but I think it would be cool to do a POA relay.

Ok, I just got word that the plane has been fixed. I don't know how yet, will update on that later.

So, I'm looking to get to Burlington this weekend. Let's start at the last leg and work backward. Can anybody get me from a larger airport nearby to KBRL on the 28 or 29th? Something like Cedar Rapids CID, Springfield SPI, Gary GYY, or something else near St Louis or Chicago? I can uber from the bigger airports to a smaller one if needed. Worst case, I can get fairly cheap flights into any of those. The fare to BRL isn't even that horrible, but I think it would be cool to do a POA relay.
I could do SPI, PIA, SUS, MLI, BMI on Saturday. Pick one.

actually, now Springfield is just as bad. It's cheaper for me to go straight there :(

Maybe a few of you can stop in and say hi before I leave?

I can get to STL cheap and uber over to SUS

Problem ended up being the oil plug in the crank. It had rotated and wasn't allowing oil to build up pressure. Was just dumping it right back into the case. We had to get a special tool from an engine shop that allowed us to remove the old plug and replace it with a new one while the engine was still on the plane.

I actually don't care for SUS if the Uber to SET is just the same. SUS is probably easier though for an Uber.
I can get to STL cheap and uber over to SUS

I've picked up and dropped people at STL multiple times. The folks at Signature have been great and let me use the car to run over to the SW terminal. They waived all fees with 10 gallons and makes things pretty convenient. I am free for a few hours Saturday morning if you need a ride, might be able to sneak out Friday afternoon too if needed.

I've picked up and dropped people at STL multiple times. The folks at Signature have been great and let me use the car to run over to the SW terminal. They waived all fees with 10 gallons and makes things pretty convenient. I am free for a few hours Saturday morning if you need a ride, might be able to sneak out Friday afternoon too if needed.
The whole truth is I hate going to St Louis period. Those controllers are downright grumpy. That's why I was sad when they moved Peoria Approach. Most of the Peoria people are delightful. Good to know that the STL Signature seems more reasonable that some of their larger city counterparts.

Due to needing to have a stable schedule for work, I've decided to take commercial to get there. I will be there Friday afternoon to perhaps Saturday morning. If you want to get together for a meal, let me know. Thanks for all the offers though! If I hadn't just come off vacation and could be more flexible I'd have done the relay.

So here's my tentative plan. On Friday, after bending over and taking my raping from the mechanic, take a short hop around the pattern and do an inspection, then take a short flight to maybe KMBY or KSET and do another detailed inspection and stop for the night. Then finish up the trip to FL in the morning. Of course, all depending on weather. If I can, I'd probably just crash in the FBO, or a cheap hotel nearby. I can meet with POA'ers on Friday evening, or potentially early Sat morning (but I'll be jonesing to get home I'm sure) Are either of those airports good for such a plan?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this is my first time having my plane worked on by strangers, and away from home.

I am not committed to this plan, so if someone wants to meet and needs to adjust let me know and I'll see if I can make it work.

The whole truth is I hate going to St Louis period. Those controllers are downright grumpy. That's why I was sad when they moved Peoria Approach. Most of the Peoria people are delightful. Good to know that the STL Signature seems more reasonable that some of their larger city counterparts.

Well shoot that sucks. I have been flying into the STL area VFR for like 12 years and IFR for 3 and have never had anything but a good experience. Sorry to hear your experience has been different.

So here's my tentative plan. On Friday, after bending over and taking my raping from the mechanic, take a short hop around the pattern and do an inspection, then take a short flight to maybe KMBY or KSET and do another detailed inspection and stop for the night. Then finish up the trip to FL in the morning. Of course, all depending on weather. If I can, I'd probably just crash in the FBO, or a cheap hotel nearby. I can meet with POA'ers on Friday evening, or potentially early Sat morning (but I'll be jonesing to get home I'm sure) Are either of those airports good for such a plan?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but this is my first time having my plane worked on by strangers, and away from home.

I am not committed to this plan, so if someone wants to meet and needs to adjust let me know and I'll see if I can make it work.

Not much in Moberly but cheap(er) fuel and it doesn't seem like it or SET is on the way to Florida. If you want to make a stop at 3MY (cheaper fuel than Moberly), Neil and I are both here. Plenty of tools and extra eyes if you need any help. There is also a nice (and reasonable) hotel walking distance from the airport https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/ameri...AA&iata=00094113&cid=ME:nnwgfbcvsaei9zr:51926 and plenty of close food options.

Back