Getting an iPad 2

Now in Anchorage, AK. Getting closer.

Got mine today. So there goes my productivity for awhile.:D

Mine still sitting in HK. Someone told me recently that their's sat there for 3 days before it shipped but then arrived in just a couple of days after it fled China.

I can't say it was anything more than a guess.

Some Customs brokerages have weird little setups for high volume goods where the product clears Customs somewhere else on the planet than expected, like there's a warehouse with a paint line across the floor and gates. One side is "still in China" the other is "accepted into U.S." and the whole thing might be managed by some global shipper who has a "Logistics" division.

I've just been in the role of "guy who ordered the RMA shipment" to various countries where the same device or product that flew through the Customs broker the week before, suddenly seems to get "stuck" in a strange warehouse somewhere you wouldn't expect it to, and the shipper's explanation is "Customs".

Stuff moving from New Jersey to Montreal seems to do this in cycles, as does stuff from Austrailia going just about anywhere. Tech stuff to Brazil is even more of a crap shoot, it might show up tomorrow, you might get it a month from now. And the tamper seals often times aren't even broken.

It's just weird.

I'm guessing it's the Apple deal with FedEx. To send hundreds of thousands of these things individually FedEx must give Apple a great deal. The catch is that FedEx has flexibility as to how much time they are allowed in transit. Kind of like the stuff flies on a standby basis.

I'm guessing it's the Apple deal with FedEx. To send hundreds of thousands of these things individually FedEx must give Apple a great deal. The catch is that FedEx has flexibility as to how much time they are allowed in transit. Kind of like the stuff flies on a standby basis.

Actually, I'm thinking it's more like this FedEx tracking thing isn't updated very often and hovering over it to see when our new crackPads are coming is a waste of time. Mine said last night it was in HK. When I checked it this morning it said that for the past 3 days it's been in Anchorage, Memphis, Baltimore and is now on a truck to Annapolis.

I agree, we're weird; and I'll add that I need to get a life. What you're witnessing is a group of hyperfocused ADD afflicted techno junkies who are all staring out the window waiting on our next fix to arrive on the blessed FedEx truck.

And damn happy about it...

So, what's the general consensus on getting a 32gb ATT 3G ipad 2 in a reasonably short time (couple weeks?) without paying more than retail? I've been checking the Target and BestBuy inventory web pages daily but so far no joy. Yesterday one of the local BB stores showed some stock but when I called I was told they were all "held for reserve" and none were actually available for sale. Is the online Apple store the best bet now?

So, what's the general consensus on getting a 32gb ATT 3G ipad 2 in a reasonably short time (couple weeks?) without paying more than retail? I've been checking the Target and BestBuy inventory web pages daily but so far no joy. Yesterday one of the local BB stores showed some stock but when I called I was told they were all "held for reserve" and none were actually available for sale. Is the online Apple store the best bet now?

Online is showing 3-4 weeks. Your best bet for the next couple weeks is keeping watch. I could also keep an eye out for you. Our BB seems to often have the 3G versions in stock. It's the wifi only versions that were hard to come by. If I run across one, would you like me to call you? Do you care black or white?

I ordered mine at 4am PDT on 3/11 and it came today - 2 weeks. The reason I ordered online on day 1 was that when the iPhone4 came out I said that I'd just get one in a month or so when I can walk into the store and pick it up. It was a lot longer than a couple of months before that happened here. I'm a geek but not a "stand in line with my sleeping bag" geek. I'm also not a "drive 20 miles out of my way to maybe get one" geek either. Ordering one on the first day and hitting the update button twice a day on the FedEx screen is about as weird as I get. But whatever floats your boat.

My wife's iPad 2 (32GB, ATT) showed up today.

On the shipment tracker, it was showing in Hong Kong as late as yesterday.

It was ordered approximately noon EST on the day they started taking orders.

I'm reading this forum on my new i2. So far I love it. Getting everything synched with my other i stuff took a little work, but otherwise just perfect. Hope to fly with it tomorrow.

Online is showing 3-4 weeks. Your best bet for the next couple weeks is keeping watch. I could also keep an eye out for you. Our BB seems to often have the 3G versions in stock. It's the wifi only versions that were hard to come by. If I run across one, would you like me to call you? Do you care black or white?
No strong preference on color (white would be my first choice if both were available) but I do need ATT 3G and 32 or 64 GB. Ironically, the wi-fi only versions are often in stock around here.

Received my shipping notification today.

Got mine yesterday and installed Foreflight w/pro subscription today. I haven't explored it fully yet but I'm a bit disappointed how little help it is in planning a route.

Got mine yesterday and installed Foreflight w/pro subscription today. I haven't explored it fully yet but I'm a bit disappointed how little help it is in planning a route.

How so? What are you wanting it to do that it doesn't? Just curious...

It really does need some beefing up in the route-planning feature-set. I loved the various auto-planners in FlightPrep's stuff, but I won't give 'em any money anymore on principal.

Clicking "Low Airway Auto-Route" or "VOR-to-VOR" was nice though. I wish Foreflight had more than rubber banding.

Also miss the vertical airspace nav. Could easily see in the side-view on ChartCase if you'd clear all terrain at your planned altitude and clear underlying airspace, as well as pick an altitude to go over something at, and get a "pretty close" climb and descent point. Same thing with planning descents to an airport.

Oh well. For what it is, Foreflight does well. But it isn't a full-fledged flight planner yet.

For all its bells and whistles Foreflight is still a mobile application and the iPad is still a thinclient. Use it for what it's for, I say... it will be a while before either competes with a true sophisticated computer-based flight planner.

Last edited:
For all its bells and whistles Foreflight is still a mobile application and the iPad is still a thinclient. Use it for what it's for, I say... it will be a while before either competes with a true sophisticated computer-based flight planner.

Neither of the "excuses" you mention - mobile app or thinclient, whatever that is, passes any mustard. There's way more than plenty of power in the iPad to run something like a Jepp FlightStar/View type app that shows both vertical and chart nav and allows all the flexibility of templates, profiles, autorouting, etc. This iPad 2 kicks ass and there's no reason I know of it couldn't be as good or better than any desktop flight planner.

I think Foreflight is a rapidly developing app and is a great value. I just read the full online manual (what a concept) and learned a lot. Yesterday I tossed out my many pounds of charts, maps afd's etc. I'll print a chart or two of my primary destination, but otherwise I'm paperless for 75 bux. Thanks Foreflight.

Neither of the "excuses" you mention - mobile app or thinclient, whatever that is, passes any mustard. There's way more than plenty of power in the iPad to run something like a Jepp FlightStar/View type app that shows both vertical and chart nav and allows all the flexibility of templates, profiles, autorouting, etc. This iPad 2 kicks ass and there's no reason I know of it couldn't be as good or better than any desktop flight planner.

Not to be rude but the operative phrase is highlighted ;)

If that were true we'd already have one at this point. Takes more than clock speed.

Fear not, there will be a Jepp app in the near future....just takes them longer to get their act together.

Oh, let's talk about that product. If you're not familiar with it, the original product came in both Mac & Windows versions. When Jepp bought the company (wanted the user interface more than anything else) it tossed the Mac version (this is back in the Motorola chip days, OS 8.6, IIRC) because there wasn't enough market to justify it.

Even now, it takes Parallels, VMWare or BootCamp with Windows to run FliteStar. Still not native mode Mac.

Let's see what it takes to create the iPad version...

Essentially, a complete rewrite of the entire user interface. And if you noticed on the existing UI, it violates most of Microsoft's "UI Guidelines" (which are based on Apple's original Mac UI Guidelines".

I'm not sure what FliteStar is written in, but I'm almost positive it's C. iPad/iPhone development is entirely Objective-C with a dash of Cocoa. Think of Objective-C as C/C++ & SmallTalk in a "mashup", to use the concept from Glee. If you're not already a C/C++ programmer, it's not for the faint of heart. I've done a few apps, none of which are suitable for posting to iTunes (just for fun more than anything else). The development enironment is both incredibly convenient and insufferably difficult, all at the same time.

Ask Jesse about it, he's had about 8 months to work with this stuff.

I think Foreflight is a rapidly developing app and is a great value. I just read the full online manual (what a concept) and learned a lot. Yesterday I tossed out my many pounds of charts, maps afd's etc. I'll print a chart or two of my primary destination, but otherwise I'm paperless for 75 bux. Thanks Foreflight.

+1
Exactly

I managed to snare one yesterday and have ForeFlight and a few other apps loaded now. I'm looking for something that displays flight instruments, either in the 6 pack format or psuedo glass with tapes etc. I want one made for the iPad 2 3G using the internal Mems gyros. Anyone seen such an app?

Lance, That's the app for which we all wait with great anticipation.

I still have not gotten my ship notification. Did you request any engraving on yours?
Nope. I suspected that could delay it (even though Apple said it doesn't) - plus it screws up the resell value.

Let's see what it takes to create the iPad version...

OK, but then you went on to describe how hard it is to port some existing app. Not create one. We don't have good aviation apps because there's no money in it. Not because its particularly hard But if you're going to do it, do it right.

I still have not gotten my ship notification. Did you request any engraving on yours?

I did. "Life's a Pitts" and my name. It came in two weeks ordered the morning they went on sale. I'm not interested in resale value but I am interested in no on mistaking mine for theirs.

OK, but then you went on to describe how hard it is to port some existing app. Not create one. We don't have good aviation apps because there's no money in it. Not because its particularly hard But if you're going to do it, do it right.

Exactly correct!

I managed to snare one yesterday and have ForeFlight and a few other apps loaded now. I'm looking for something that displays flight instruments, either in the 6 pack format or psuedo glass with tapes etc. I want one made for the iPad 2 3G using the internal Mems gyros. Anyone seen such an app?

I couldn't find any that are specifically for the iPad, that is, they're all iPhone apps and you'd have to run them on the "2x" blown-up iPhone setting.

This appears to be the best of the ones out there so far: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/airplane-gyroscope-attitude/id385491648?mt=8

It looks like he's testing and improving it constantly, and has some interesting notes:

I am an instrument rated Airplane Pilot and a Helicopter Pilot, I designed this app for a fun demonstration of how flight instruments in a real airplane work. My goal is to also have this work well in actual flight (see notes below).

The internal Gyro chip is sensitive to engine/prop vibration. Attempt to mount it with the least possible vibration. Also, I use the Compass to help remove the large gyro drift, the Compass can tend to "freeze" or lock up, try to mount it as far as possible from metal objects. I am working on later updates that will help this issue.

iPhone 4 Gyroscope Aircraft Attitude Indicator (a.k.a Artificial Horizon). This app uses the "real" Gyroscope built into the iPhone 4, so it is much more accurate than the older apps without Gyro access (accelerometer only).

Note for Pilots : Although I am flight testing and fine tuning the air mode code each weekend (We have a Mooney M20c Aircraft for testing this app), after finding the "stock" gyroscope code did not work in aircraft (always read wings level even with gyroscope output), it must be clear this is still NOT FAA APPROVED and should not be depended upon for flight. As a fellow Pilot, I am also excited about having the iPhone 4 gyroscope work in airplanes, however, for now its experimental use only. I am improving the operation in the air at every release, and its getting better, but still needs work. I intend to keep working on it until its the best it can possibly be in the air.

For non Pilots, or Pilots using this for ground instruction, it works flawlessly with the Stock Gyroscope on the ground. And is perfect for ground instruction. The stock iPhone 4 Gyroscope code is smooth as silk on the ground, make sure you do not use "AIR MODE ON" for ground use/instruction. Air mode will seem erratic on the ground, it depends on the G forces and compass changes in flight to work.

Please check the tab for this app on our support website for weekly updates on the test flights and status.

I'm not sure what FliteStar is written in, but I'm almost positive it's C. iPad/iPhone development is entirely Objective-C with a dash of Cocoa. Think of Objective-C as C/C++ & SmallTalk in a "mashup", to use the concept from Glee. If you're not already a C/C++ programmer, it's not for the faint of heart. I've done a few apps, none of which are suitable for posting to iTunes (just for fun more than anything else). The development enironment is both incredibly convenient and insufferably difficult, all at the same time.

Are you kidding? I mean, who doesn't know C these days? (Okay, all the Java people - But that's sufficiently similar to C++, IMO, that it's not too big of a deal.)

I had my last C++ class 10 years before I picked up the iOS development tools and started learning Objective C, UIKit, etc. I picked it up quite quickly and felt that it was mostly very elegant. Funny part is, the part that was supposed to be the easiest is what tripped me up - Interface Builder! How am I supposed to debug anything when there's no *(%)#$ing code for me to walk through? :incazzato:

Are you kidding? I mean, who doesn't know C these days? (Okay, all the Java people - But that's sufficiently similar to C++, IMO, that it's not too big of a deal.)

I had my last C++ class 10 years before I picked up the iOS development tools and started learning Objective C, UIKit, etc. I picked it up quite quickly and felt that it was mostly very elegant. Funny part is, the part that was supposed to be the easiest is what tripped me up - Interface Builder! How am I supposed to debug anything when there's no *(%)#$ing code for me to walk through? :incazzato:
C++ != Objective-C

You don't have to use interface builder.

If you do, It really doesn't do much so there isn't much to debug. I've never had a problem figuring out what Interface Builder is doing. You're mostly just mapping UI elements to properties and setting delegates.

I don't mind Objective-C and the Cococa design patterns but I most certainly do not prefer them over other languages.

Once I wrap up my CFII and receive my iPad I'll be back to iOS developing.

C++ != Objective-C

I know - That was the point. Having never touched Obj-C before, and having not touched anything even remotely C-related in 10 years, I was able to pick up Obj-C pretty quick.

You don't have to use interface builder.

Yeah, I know... But I wanted to learn it, as it does make some things a lot easier. Hell, laying out a UI like that is really slick and I don't think I'd want to bother hard-coding it all. I just don't like that it doesn't generate any code when you're done with it so that you can step through it and see what's going on when you get unexpected results.

Back