Getting an iPad 2

I know - That was the point. Having never touched Obj-C before, and having not touched anything even remotely C-related in 10 years, I was able to pick up Obj-C pretty quick.

Yeah, I know... But I wanted to learn it, as it does make some things a lot easier. Hell, laying out a UI like that is really slick and I don't think I'd want to bother hard-coding it all. I just don't like that it doesn't generate any code when you're done with it so that you can step through it and see what's going on when you get unexpected results.
It doesn't really generate much for code because it's more or less just a mapping of UI elements to screen positions, pointers in memory, and delegates. There isn't really anything to debug. Really it's not all that powerful - if you end up doing much of anything other then real basic data input you'll need to use code to handle much of the view.

I was talking to Verizon yesterday, and they said that you cannot have a 3G model without a data plan. That contradicts everything I've heard, but the rep put me on hold and ostensibly checked with his manager, who supposedly confirmed it. OTOH, he said that they did have them in stock!

I was talking to Verizon yesterday, and they said that you cannot have a 3G model without a data plan. That contradicts everything I've heard, but the rep put me on hold and ostensibly checked with his manager, who supposedly confirmed it. OTOH, he said that they did have them in stock!
That is ridiculous. You can order these things direct from Apple who could care less if you have a plan or not.
I have a 3G AT&T without a plan. There are some annoying popups that try to trick you into signing up for a plan when you open certain apps, but otherwise 3G without a plan is fine.

They're full of crap. Tell them that you don't have to have a plan to buy one from Apple, Best Buy, Target... Or AT&T. I bet they'll change their tune pretty quick.

I'm trying to get it to synch and it will not. grrr

Need to upgrade to the latest iTunes. iOS 4.3 that ships with the iPad 2 needs at least iTunes 10.2, and I believe 10.2.1 is the very latest iTunes.

That is ridiculous. You can order these things direct from Apple who could care less if you have a plan or not.
I have a 3G AT&T without a plan. There are some annoying popups that try to trick you into signing up for a plan when you open certain apps, but otherwise 3G without a plan is fine.

They're full of crap. Tell them that you don't have to have a plan to buy one from Apple, Best Buy, Target... Or AT&T. I bet they'll change their tune pretty quick.
I agree. I called back to order, and they didn't say anything about requiring a data plan this time. In fact, they didn't even mention it. We'll see if it truly is in stock! :) Of course, I ordered a Smart Cover, and they forgot to put it on the order. :dunno: I figure I can pick one up elsewhere. In fact, I saw this wood one that looks neat: https://www.miniot.com/webshop/?portlet=miniot&page=miniotcover&state=normal

Of course, I ordered a Smart Cover, and they forgot to put it on the order. :dunno: I figure I can pick one up elsewhere. In fact, I saw this wood one that looks neat: https://www.miniot.com/webshop/?portlet=miniot&page=miniotcover&state=normal

I got a smart cover from the local Best Buy for $40. They only had grey and I wanted blue but I bought it anyway.

I also learned that you have to warn anyone you let handle the iPad that the cover isn't very well attached (it's held on magnetically). I watched in horror as my wife tried to hold the unit by the cover, dropping the iPad when the cover came off. Fortunately she managed to catch the iPad with her other hand before it hit anything.

I'm looking for hard case that does not include a cover for the screen. There's a few in the reviews in the web but not many of them are available yet. I'm looking to put the iPad 2 into the case and velcro the case to the panel.

Anyone have something like this yet that you like?

I got a smart cover from the local Best Buy for $40. They only had grey and I wanted blue but I bought it anyway.

I also learned that you have to warn anyone you let handle the iPad that the cover isn't very well attached (it's held on magnetically). I watched in horror as my wife tried to hold the unit by the cover, dropping the iPad when the cover came off. Fortunately she managed to catch the iPad with her other hand before it hit anything.

Mine hit the floor for the first time this morning. Ceramic tile. Small ding on the corner. I didn't even notice it until Jesse was playing with my iPad later in the day. Sigh...

I'm looking for hard case that does not include a cover for the screen. There's a few in the reviews in the web but not many of them are available yet. I'm looking to put the iPad 2 into the case and velcro the case to the panel.

Anyone have something like this yet that you like?

I've been pretty impressed with the OtterBox stuff. This might be exactly what you're looking for: http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-Commut...-IPAD1_color=20&start=2&cgid=apple-ipad-cases

Well, er, once it's updated for the iPad 2. You won't have a whole lot of options for another month or two most likely.

I'm glad I didn't order mine -using the handy dandy iPad finder Rich posted worked out!
I really did not have a choice. I had asked for the iPad for my birthday back in December. Since it was going to be months until the new units came out I was given an Apple gift card. My only two choices were the Apple store (sold out) or order online.

And I'm posting from it now! Foreflight installed! Now I need to figure out how to load Dennstaedt's weather lessons onto it.

Got my shipment notice today on my 64gb 3G model :) Enroute from China. Almost a week earlier than the Apple Store estimate on my order.

I believe I placed my online order on Sunday morning of that weekend they were released.

Most carriers probably will not sell them (or any device) without a plan. That's how they are paid ==> commission for selling a plan. Without devices, they can't sell the plans to people who do want them.

Most carriers probably will not sell them (or any device) without a plan. That's how they are paid ==> commission for selling a plan. Without devices, they can't sell the plans to people who do want them.

Well, as it turned out, they did sell it without a plan. :)

A couple of posts back FliteStar IFR was discussed.

I am in the process of migrating between HP notebooks this morning to a new 2540p. I also am in the process of getting a couple of iPad2's for some development work at work.

The question that came to my mind is that has anyone broken down a good comparison using the Jepp Flitestar Matrix of features comparing WingX and ForeFlite?

I have used WingX on my Windows Treo for years and just went to Android based Evo and using the WingX app there.

I have seen the WingX app "reviews" but nothing really comparative to that matrix.

Used FliteStar for years in flying and SAR missing planning for Civil Air Patrol and I must say that I LOVE it. Just wondering if there are any converts out there from FliteStar to WingX or ForeFlite?

Started a thread for this over here to not hijack this thread.
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=697261#post697261

The glass for most Apple devices is made in Ky at a Corning plant.

That is true for everything but the iPad 2. The glass for those is single-sourced from Japan. Corning's "Gorilla Glass" is supposedly similar to the glass in the iPhones and iPod Touch.

The Japanese stuff is supposedly called "Dragon Glass" and has some improvements over the Corning stuff.

That is true for everything but the iPad 2. The glass for those is single-sourced from Japan. Corning's "Gorilla Glass" is supposedly similar to the glass in the iPhones and iPod Touch.

The Japanese stuff is supposedly called "Dragon Glass" and has some improvements over the Corning stuff.

Like being cheaper to ship to China, most likely. ;)

Mine arrived today.

It is charging up and downloading all the charts from ForeFlight which got a new subscription from me!!

Can't wait to start using it.

Mine arrived today.

It is charging up and downloading all the charts from ForeFlight which got a new subscription from me!!

Can't wait to start using it.

So if you are an existing customer of Foreflight for iPhone, what does it cost to have FF running on both?

Eggcellent! Mine is winging its way across the Pacific today. Too bad they can't drop it in Anchorage during their fuel stop :cool:
My iPad stopped in Anchorage before heading to Indianapolis.

I've been using two monitors for years and can't imagine working without two. Better yet, I found an app for my iPad2 that allows it to act as a screen too (Air Display $10). With 3 active screens now I'm very happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Back