Getting an iPad 2

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Any tips to getting my hands on one?

I've placed an order online with Apple, and it's currently a 4-5 week wait. I predict that will be pushed back even farther once the delays from Japan start to make their way through the pipeline.

I have called and visited every possible Walmart, Target, and Best Buy location. I have waited at an Apple Store before they opened just to see.

Anyone have any luck?

Get the list of Apple stores within 50 miles, then call each to find out if they have the model you want in stock.

Remember, your telephone is one of the most dangerous weapons you have!

Dumb lucky I walked into a BB that had just gotten 3-32gb Verizon.

Now my wife is happy :)

For the next couple of months that's likely to be the beat way to get one retail without a pre-order.

I predict that will be pushed back even farther once the delays from Japan start to make their way through the pipeline.

The IPAD is made in China.

Just keep calling around. Maybe bribe a sales clerk to hold one for you and give you a call.

The IPAD is made in China.

Just keep calling around. Maybe bribe a sales clerk to hold one for you and give you a call.

Several key components in the new version of Apple's popular iPad tablet PC come from Japan, including the battery and the flash memory used to store music and video on the device, according to research firm IHS iSuppli.

I ordered the morning it went out for sale and they're still saying it'll be delivered this week. We'll see.

I just got my shipment notice. I ordered about 7am on the 11th. It's an individual FedEx shipment that left today from Shenzhen, China. Apple must have worked out a really good deal with FedEx. Should see it on the 24th and looking forward to it. I have become quite an Apple fan in the last year or so.

I ordered about 7pm on the 11th. We'll see when I get it. The website says April 1

Over on Macrumors, people have still been lining up at various Apple stores, Best Buys, Targets, etc. very early in the morning to get their hands on one. It sounds pretty hit or miss as to what will be delivered to the store on any given day.

I am debating if I should now place an order for one, which might be here in time for my trip to Amsterdam. I still haven't even decided if I want to take it with me...

Man, you'd think these iPad things were really useful or something. :D

well by darn! it was right - except for the color. I called my nearby Target and it had what it said online but it had just sold out of black.

well by darn! it was right - except for the color. I called my nearby Target and it had what it said online but it had just sold out of black.
Dang. That inventory checker is not exactly real-time, but it will give you a good indication. Some stores get more than others. For example, the store where I got mine today was the only one that ever showed any "In stock" action. I mentioned this store must be the best one in the area while checking out, and the lady said that today's was the third shipment they had received since the intro. But they only got Wi-Fi only today.

Hang in there. Keep checking and maybe you'll see the pattern.

That is a fantastic link--thanks so much.

You're welcome -- anything for a fellow NJ guy (I grew up in Wayne).

Kent may get all the credit for being an Apple fanboy here, but I'm well-versed in things Cupertino as well. :wink2:

Dang. That inventory checker is not exactly real-time, but it will give you a good indication. Some stores get more than others. For example, the store where I got mine today was the only one that ever showed any "In stock" action. I mentioned this store must be the best one in the area while checking out, and the lady said that today's was the third shipment they had received since the intro. But they only got Wi-Fi only today.

Hang in there. Keep checking and maybe you'll see the pattern.

I re-checked it within minutes of hanging up, and "limited availability" was down to out of stock. So I'd say it is pretty close to real time!

Silly question time....is it required to get 3G phone service with the WiFi+3G model? I really want the GPS capability to use with charts and such but don't need another phone.

Hey follow-up. I just got a 64GB at my local store thanks to that inventory tracking site. Awesome!

Unfortunately, it was for my buddy who was desperate for that one. I made him very happy while I still wait to find the 32GB.

Any tips to getting my hands on one?

I've placed an order online with Apple, and it's currently a 4-5 week wait. I predict that will be pushed back even farther once the delays from Japan start to make their way through the pipeline.

I have called and visited every possible Walmart, Target, and Best Buy location. I have waited at an Apple Store before they opened just to see.

Anyone have any luck?

Matt doesn't your synagogue gift shop carry them? I'm sure you could get bumped up on the wait list I mean after all.......:D

Hey follow-up. I just got a 64GB at my local store thanks to that inventory tracking site. Awesome!

Unfortunately, it was for my buddy who was desperate for that one. I made him very happy while I still wait to find the 32GB.
So, how desperate was he? :ihih:

Happened to walk into my local Best Buy tonight. Asked and they had some in stock. The manager said a guy had just returned a 32GB wifi model to upgrade to a 64GB model. He owned it for less than 6 hours. 5% off...open box! Couldn't resist!

Happened to walk into my local Best Buy tonight. Asked and they had some in stock. The manager said a guy had just returned a 32GB wifi model to upgrade to a 64GB model. He owned it for less than 6 hours. 5% off...open box! Couldn't resist!
I haven't tried going to any stores but I've tried the Target, Walmart, and BestBuy inventory links and have gotten nothing but "No Stock" so far. I wish there was a way to specify either color so I didn't have to make each search twice.

Mine's sitting in Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Grrrrrr.

Mine's sitting in Lantau Island, Hong Kong. Grrrrrr.

It's winning the race with mine. I ordered at 4am PDT on 3/11 and it still hasn't shipped yet with an order status of expected delivery on 3/22 through 3/29. Not holding my breath.

I checked the 5th Avenue Apple store in Manhattan this evening. Nothing there. They think they might get some in the morning. They are open 24x7x365 and there were people planning on waiting there all night to see.

Part of my iPad 2 order shipped today. The cover will be here by Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed for the unit to ship ahead of schedule.

Part of my iPad 2 order shipped today. The cover will be here by Saturday. Keeping my fingers crossed for the unit to ship ahead of schedule.
I received my cover early last week.

As did I. No joy in that.

I received my cover early last week.

As did I (dark blue leather thank you) along with the HDMI adapter and the digital camera adapter kit. I just got my shipment notice this morning that it's in Lantau Island so I went ahead now and ordered the Garmin 5870 bluetooth GPS off Amazon.

Back