Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

4 Weeks!

attachment.php

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 386
We may be there. Perhaps Thursday, perhaps Friday evening. Depends upon Leslie's work situation.

We may be there. Perhaps Thursday, perhaps Friday evening. Depends upon Leslie's work situation.

We need Leslie.
We need Danielle.
We need Sharon.

Or we shall surely starve!

Can someone post the link to the video Jesse made on the "over the dam" approach? That really helped me and it might be of use to others flying in this year.

Here's a link to the Gaston's Fly-in website. Jesse's video of the dam approach is at the top of the page.

Mark

Also, from last year's thread:

Here's the "dam approach." This is about a 0.6 mile pattern but it keeps the runway in sight while in the pattern...and keeps you from running into the bluff to the east and northeast.

A bigger pattern on downwind results in the runway being blocked from view by the high ridge across (south of) the river.

FWIW

attachment.php

Linda and I will be arriving Friday if everything goes according to plan. I have a work conference in Vegas that week so will be returning from Vegas to Omaha on Southwest Friday. I should get back to LNK around 2PM and should be in the air by 3PM enroute to Gastons. Sunset is going to be roughly 7PM, shouldn't have an issue beating that.

Linda and I will be arriving Friday if everything goes according to plan. I have a work conference in Vegas that week so will be returning from Vegas to Omaha on Southwest Friday. I should get back to LNK around 2PM and should be in the air by 3PM enroute to Gastons. Sunset is going to be roughly 7PM, shouldn't have an issue beating that.

6:42 to be exact. Glad you'll be there!

Made a Res. for Night of October 10. Susan and I will both be there if no disaster is found at Sept 30 annual. :(

Made a Res. for Night of October 10. Susan and I will both be there if no disaster is found at Sept 30 annual. :(

Wow... This event just keeps getting better and better!

Darn, I'm only there on 10-9. I'd just like to shake your hand and tell you thanks for so generously sharing your knowledge with us, and helping keep so many pilots in the air.

So ...

How many times are we allowed to do a fly by to check the windsock?

as long as you fly down the runway and not down the river, then you can do it as many times as you like!

<whistles>

Last edited:
Troy, can you post an updated attendee list?

I thought people were updating it on their own. I'll go re-read the thread and update soon.

I think it fizzled. Then you became a mod and we began to look to you for more of the answers and subsequently the heavy lifting.

Soon we start calling you chief, boss, pops, and other authoritative monikers which perpetuates the paradigm and eventually you start threatening spank us if we don't get off your lawn.

And then Tim never wants to get off your lawn which everyone but Ed finds a little off putting.

Updated list:

Name.................Tail Number...Model...............Arr/Dep......Sat BBQ, #.......Side dish?
Troy & Teresa W......N5423S........Cessna TR182........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........BRISKET! MEAT!
Lance & Sue F........N57039........Mooney M20J.........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Hors d'oevres
Spike Cutler.........N7892R........Beechcraft Bonanza..Thurs/Sun....Yes, 1...........?
Mike Farlow..........N55WB.........Cessna 182P.........Thur/Sun.....Yes, 1...........Will contribute something
Bryan Turner.........N25MV.........Cirrus SR22.........Fri/Sat......Yes, 2 (I think).Homebrew and some sort of meat.
Brian (maybe norene).N4550V........Beechcraft -35. ....Sat..........Yes, 1 (maybe 2).veggie meat?
Tim................. N5057D........C182A ..... ........Fri/Sun......Yes, 1........ ..Choc Mocha Ice Cream
Jimmie/Kate J....... N14728....... Super Viking....... Thur/Sun.... Yes, 3.......... bacon wrapped shrimp?
Kent & Kelsey ...... N97ST ....... Mooney M20R ....... Fri/Sun .... Yes, 2 ......... Consult my personal chef.
Jesse..........Who the hell knows..Airplane............Depends......Yes, 2...........Crown
Dana (plus one?).....N64287........C172................Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Homebrew, bacon
Greg and Sharon B....N3934V........Cessna 170..........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........Whatever is needed
Grant & Leslie.......N284M.........Cherokee 235........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........(might make it, tentative)
Tim & Susan........N9900M........Vans RV10............Fri/Sun........Yes............Asian Coleslaw
I added our names to the list.

I added our names to the list.

But you left me and my wife off. :confused: I feel slighted and will therefore only contribute beer. And not homebrewed beer either!

Edit: My wife said she will make some pies. And she makes REALLY good pie!

Last edited:
I think there are still a few names not on the final list since some people have said they are coming w/o updating a revised list.

I will be happy to make up a couple pages of name tags and mail them to whomever will be the earliest arrival.

Whose going to be the first one there and is willing to give me their mailing address? Think very carefully about this...

Bruce, I believe the website has been languishing since 2012. Maybe we can ping Jesse to create 2015 on it...

... www.GastonsFlyIn.com

I uh, don't even know where that website runs, but I can look into it. There are probably better utilities these days for doing what it does. Seems like an attendee list of here works better anyhow. The only other thing it did was photo sharing.

Brian, bring the tags to me since I'm going up in Thursday with JohnC and The pies. And rather than stick on, let's use something either with a pin back or lanyard.

Name.................Tail Number...Model...............Arr/Dep......Sat BBQ, #.......Side dish?
Troy & Teresa W......N5423S........Cessna TR182........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........BRISKET! MEAT!
Lance & Sue F........N57039........Mooney M20J.........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Hors d'oevres
Spike Cutler.........N7892R........Beechcraft Bonanza..Thurs/Sun....Yes, 1...........?
Mike Farlow..........N55WB.........Cessna 182P.........Thur/Sun.....Yes, 1...........Beverages (soft and hard)
Bryan Turner.........N25MV.........Cirrus SR22.........Fri/Sat......Yes, 2 (I think).Homebrew and some sort of meat.
Brian (maybe norene).N4550V........Beechcraft -35. ....Sat..........Yes, 1 (maybe 2).veggie meat?
Tim................. N5057D........C182A ..... ........Fri/Sun......Yes, 1........ ..Choc Mocha Ice Cream
Jimmie/Kate J....... N14728....... Super Viking....... Thur/Sun.... Yes, 3.......... bacon wrapped shrimp?
Kent & Kelsey ...... N97ST ....... Mooney M20R ....... Fri/Sun .... Yes, 2 ......... Consult my personal chef.
Jesse..........Who the hell knows..Airplane............Depends......Yes, 2...........Crown
Dana (plus one?).....N64287........C172................Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Homebrew, bacon
Greg and Sharon B....N3934V........Cessna 170..........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........Whatever is needed
Grant & Leslie.......N284M.........Cherokee 235........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........(might make it, tentative)
Tim & Susan..........N9900M........Vans RV10...........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Asian Coleslaw
Bruce & Susan........??????........Seneca..............Sat/Sun......Yes, 2...........?
JohnC & Susan........N55WB.........(arriving w/ Mike)..Thurs/Sun....Yes, 2...........Pie

Updated List.

And judging by the last two lines, we get to experience the live "Susan" version of this scene from a favorite Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd movie

I volunteer to go pick up Bryan! Its always good to have someone screaming and crying "We're all gonna dieeeeee" on your first Gaston's landing!

That'll be ME of course....

I think there are still a few names not on the final list since some people have said they are coming w/o updating a revised list.

I will be happy to make up a couple pages of name tags and mail them to whomever will be the earliest arrival.

Whose going to be the first one there and is willing to give me their mailing address? Think very carefully about this...

We'll be there the first day (Thursday) and you could hand off name badges to me at breakfast at T67 or something!

Sounds like a timeshare trap to me!! Captive audience, resort setting, name tags.....

Boss is chattering about working that weekend. Not sure what my siprep is gonna be just yet. My work is not linear, so I have to flow with the trade winds.....get it? "Trade" winds....... I just made that up. No really, I did.

Sitting here thinking about showing up unannounced and wearing someone else's name tag. ;)

I'm a maybe.....just so I can bring some 48 hour sous vide brisket to show the Texas guys that they're doing it wrong. :devil:

Name....................Tail Number...Model...............Arr/Dep......Sat BBQ, #.......Side dish?
Troy & Teresa W.........N5423S........Cessna TR182........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........BRISKET! MEAT!
Lance & Sue F...........N57039........Mooney M20J.........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Hors d'oevres
Spike Cutler............N7892R........Beechcraft Bonanza..Thurs/Sun....Yes, 1...........?
Mike Farlow.............N55WB.........Cessna 182P.........Thur/Sun.....Yes, 1...........Beverages (soft and hard)
Bryan Turner............N25MV.........Cirrus SR22.........Fri/Sat......Yes, 2 (I think).Homebrew and some sort of meat.
Brian (maybe norene)....N4550V........Beechcraft -35. ....Sat..........Yes, 1 (maybe 2).veggie meat?
Tim.....................N5057D........C182A ..... ........Fri/Sun......Yes, 1........ ..Choc Mocha Ice Cream
Jimmie/Kate J...........N14728....... Super Viking....... Thur/Sun.... Yes, 3.......... bacon wrapped shrimp?
Kent & Kelsey ......... N97ST ....... Mooney M20R ....... Fri/Sun .... Yes, 2 ......... Consult my personal chef.
Jesse.............Who the hell knows..Airplane............Depends......Yes, 2...........Crown
Dana (plus one?)........N64287........C172................Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Homebrew, bacon
Greg and Sharon B.......N3934V........Cessna 170..........Thu/Sun......Yes, 2...........Whatever is needed
Grant & Leslie..........N284M.........Cherokee 235........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........(might make it, tentative)
Tim & Susan.............N9900M........Vans RV10...........Fri/Sun......Yes, 2...........Asian Coleslaw
Bruce & Susan...........??????........Seneca..............Sat/Sun......Yes, 2...........?
JohnC & Susan...........N55WB.........(arriving w/ Mike)..Thurs/Sun....Yes, 2...........Pie
James A. (Tulsaweather).??????........C177 Cardinal.......Friday only..No...............Day tripping

Updated List, Thursday 09/17 Added James Aydelott from Tulsa.

Jesse doesn't know what airplane he's bringing yet ("who the hell knows", in the list)... and he needs to get their quick to beat sunset.

He should bring N1.

Oops, I had put off making a reservation as it a big hop for VFR only. I finally figured out that them's the risks and called today. Sold out! I asked them to call back if they get a cancellation.

On the upside, I have family in the area so we may not be sleeping there, but will still get a chance to meet and hang with everyone.

Homebrew front - the rye pale ale was an utter disappointment. Until, I dry hopped it with the Azzaca hops and now it is quite tasty. The Oktoberfest, really good, and it is hasn't even finished carbonating so will be damn tasty. Looking forward to sharing! And hat tip to Bryan, as I haven't been one to do labels - yours is damn cool.

Back