Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Oops, I had put off making a reservation as it a big hop for VFR only. I finally figured out that them's the risks and called today. Sold out! I asked them to call back if they get a cancellation.

There are always some folks who have extra spots in their cabins. Are you coming by yourself or with a plus one?

Homebrew front - the rye pale ale was an utter disappointment. Until, I dry hopped it with the Azzaca hops and now it is quite tasty. The Oktoberfest, really good, and it is hasn't even finished carbonating so will be damn tasty. Looking forward to sharing! And hat tip to Bryan, as I haven't been one to do labels - yours is damn cool.

So far, The labels are the best part.
I am not sure if it was a temperature issue or the yeast provided (I should have gone w/ White labs instead of that dry crap :( ) but something is a little off.

It needs a couple more weeks but right now it tastes sort of like that first batch you ever brewed where it looks and smells like beer but tastes like it was made in the Mr. Beer kit. I have brewed a lot of really good beers but this one tastes like amateur hour at its current point.

If it doesn't pan out, I will bring an equivalent amount of beverages made by the pros.

Fingers crossed.

FYI the labels are from grog tag. They are fairly cheap, Just upload a photo and they print them.

My wife and I are planning on making the trip Friday.

"Did you ever notice how we always love a crowd? Can't resist them... the bigger the crowd, the more people show up!" --- Gallagher

There are always some folks who have extra spots in their cabins. Are you coming by yourself or with a plus one?

Originally just me, but I convinced the better half based on all of the other better halves that are on the attendee list.

We'll play it as it goes if we need to steal a spot in a cabin. I think the drive from my family's place would be 20 minutes so not a big deal.

"Gaston's Traffic, Coleslaw One, Any traffic in the pattern please adivse..."

Just bring a tent as a backup - no big.

(Don't forget the 5 gallon can of DEET to keep the ticks and skeeters away ...)

Actually, they don't allow camping, so a tent won't help. I suppose technically the runway is for guests, but since they don't put your tail number on the room, they wouldn't know if you were actually staying off-property. And, since you'll still be eating in the restaurant, you would still be a guest.

We are just presuming that something will open up. We will probably bring sleeping bags and cots in case we need someone's floor.

Oops, I had put off making a reservation as it a big hop for VFR only. I finally figured out that them's the risks and called today. Sold out! I asked them to call back if they get a cancellation.

On the upside, I have family in the area so we may not be sleeping there, but will still get a chance to meet and hang with everyone.

Homebrew front - the rye pale ale was an utter disappointment. Until, I dry hopped it with the Azzaca hops and now it is quite tasty. The Oktoberfest, really good, and it is hasn't even finished carbonating so will be damn tasty. Looking forward to sharing! And hat tip to Bryan, as I haven't been one to do labels - yours is damn cool.

Lots of couches to crash on!

Or just go in town and stay at a MUCH less expenisve motel and have someone pick you up in the Gastons Van in the morning

If enough people crash on those couches and split the cost, suddenly it's not too expensive!

Well, one could sleep in the aircraft if they had too...

But don't come a knocking if the wobble pump is a wobbling ....

Last edited:
brian];1893097 said:
Well, one could sleep in the aircraft if they had too...

But don't come a knocking if the wobble pump is a wobbling ....

Just hang your pitot cover...

I heard through the grapevine that Gastons now has a BAR! If confirmed, I will be moving to Lakeview Arkansas - see ya'll there :)

Hello again folks, looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. I will have a car available for lifts if necessary (sedan, not truck or SUV). I will be staying in a Gaston's hotel room with my wife Hillary.

brian];1894586 said:
I heard through the grapevine that Gastons now has a BAR! If confirmed, I will be moving to Lakeview Arkansas - see ya'll there :)

They've had a bar for years. When's the move date?

brian];1894586 said:

It was there last year, broski. It's right by the front counter and usually full of smoke.

It was there last year, broski. It's right by the front counter and usually full of smoke.

Yep...too bad it's not Colorado!

It's been there as long as I can remember. Most of that area is wet...and has been.

It was there last year when we were up there??

Man - did I have too much to drink (again)?

Saw this today - not sure if it will show - from their Facebook page. (I do recommend their page if you are a Facebooker - AMAZING photos on their feed.)

Only at Gaston's will you get photo bombed by a peacock while trying to take a picture of planes!

12003969_10153083974921078_397801413466608487_n.jpg

Things to bring?
Other than the obvious stuff, Rope, shovel, trash bags, Muriatic Acid, what should I bring?

I am thinking some sort of folding chair.
Do I need shoes other than sandals (not a flying in sandals joke)?
Bugspray, off etc? Our bugs have faded out down here but not sure what lives up there.

Oh! Claritin. I need to pack that before I forget.

What are some helpful items?

Thanks.

brian];1897992 said:
Saw this today - not sure if it will show - from their Facebook page. (I do recommend their page if you are a Facebooker - AMAZING photos on their feed.)

Only at Gaston's will you get photo bombed by a peacock while trying to take a picture of planes!

12003969_10153083974921078_397801413466608487_n.jpg

That bird totally looks agitated that you are on his lawn.

Things to bring?
Other than the obvious stuff, Rope, shovel, trash bags, Muriatic Acid, what should I bring?

Bugspray, off etc? Our bugs have faded out down here but not sure what lives up there.

Thanks.

Inflatable doll, burn kit, prepaid cellphone, mirror, razor blade, spoon, two bic lighters, rigs, couple thou in 100s, plenty of small bills for tips, chewing gum, chocolates, night vision kit, SDR set-up to scan for a wire, couple of handguns and plenty (I mean plenty) of ammo. That just about should do it.

Youre gonna be 50 yds from the White River. A fishin rod might be appropriate

brian];1898153 said:
Do they sell fishing licenses and trout stamps? Always assumed they did but never asked.

Hmmm, not sure. We got ours at the Walmart in Flippin

From their web page:

Fishing licenses are available here at Gaston's White River Resort or by calling the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission at 1-800-364-4263.

I rented a boat there last year and can say for sure, you can fish off the shoreline. There were big Browns everywhere in the river. No need for a boat unless you are just looking for some new scenery.

Things to bring?

Stakes and a hammer.

Steaks and a bun.

Spike is practicing the 3M0 'goalpost approach' today

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 48
Who's bringing a sunshade?

Last year we had mine, but that was transported by Troy and his Truck. It's a bit too big to fit in the Skylane when I also have JohnC, SusanC, and the pies.

Spike, do you still have the one we used when Kimberly traveled with us on DaveS's King Air?

And with the size of this year's group, we might want one or two additional shades.

Who's bringing a sunshade?

Last year we had mine, but that was transported by Troy and his Truck. It's a bit too big to fit in the Skylane when I also have JohnC, SusanC, and the pies.

Spike, do you still have the one we used when Kimberly traveled with us on DaveS's King Air?

And with the size of this year's group, we might want one or two additional shades.

I heard nothing is too big for a skylane

Looks like it is me and KenJr

If someone has one that is collapsible and can fit in my cabin, I can haul it.
I have a good chunk of my UL remaining.

Edit: but that said, we need to be ferried from the paved field to gaston's so we have to consider the fairy if we are hauling anything down.

I still anticipate attending, and will bring my shade structure (which, every year, I think is on its last year but keeps surviving). The best part is dumping out the bag full of pipes and plastic and figuring out which goes where. Good entertainment for bystanders.

Back