GAMI G100UL STC available now

FPK1

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
FPK1
The STC for my 2022 Tecnam P2010 with Lycoming IO-390 is $425 out the door. I'm waiting on G100UL fuel distribution before I actually buy the STC...

www.gami.com/g100ul/g100ul.php

Please post how much the STC is for your plane and engine. You can walk through the prompts to determine the cost without adding it to a shopping cart.

Is an experimental aircraft....that has no type certificate....required to purchase an STC? o_O

I have the stc for ul 94 be happy to get the G100 ul stc when the fuel is available on a regular basis.

PA28-180 $350 and if purchased this month, a $100 rebate after buying first tank of fuel..

Yes here is a link to the rebate info. Just scroll down to Early Adopter.

https://www.g100ul.com/

Bottom line is buy the STC before February 1, and after your first fill up with G100UL send them the receipt and they will send you $100.

Also, they say distribution will start in California...

Pa-32-300 io540 k1a5- $650.00
Pa-28-180 o360 a3a- $350.00

Looks like about $1.85 per hp for the engine stc. Airframe anywhere from $25-$100

G100UL Fuel Approval
Your STC documents will be available for download after checkout.

• airplane_icon.svg

Aircraft 182
    $25.00

STC with AML and Permission Statement

• engine_icon.svg

Engine O-470-L
    $400.00

$425.00

A bit eye-watering.

It's a little steep, but George earned this the hard way in my book. I'm also considering that the spark plugs will likely last a good bit longer and probably not need to be rotated as often, and that the belly will be easier and less toxic to clean.

G100UL Fuel Approval
Your STC documents will be available for download after checkout.

• airplane_icon.svg

Aircraft 182
    $25.00

• engine_icon.svg

Engine O-470-L
    $400.00

$425.00
It's a little steep, but George earned this the hard way in my book. I'm also considering that the spark plugs will likely last a good bit longer and probably not need to be rotated as often, and that the belly will be easier and less toxic to clean.
Agree and that's why I'm going to buy the STC and this month for the rebate. I suspect we will first see this fuel in the San Jose area. Maybe I'll fly up there from FUL and fill my tank with G100UL just to get my $100 rebate

Agree and that's why I'm going to buy the STC and this month for the rebate. I suspect we will first see this fuel in the San Jose area. Maybe I'll fly up there from FUL and fill my tank with G100UL just to get my $100 rebate

We have a little work to do to get our approval for G100UL. We have Pponk O-470-50 which, through the oddities of the FAA registration database, isn't on GAMI's initial STC list, but GAMI assured me the have a process for field approval, though I need to see if I want to deal with that or just wait for their next revision list for the STC.

Yeah... I'm a bit turned off by the STC being locked to engine serial number. That means this is a recurring charge (I do exchange engines over field OH) to get permission to buy the fuel that can't be bought yet. Wat? I've bought some stupid ish before, but that seems like an extra-frivolous torching of $1200.

I read a remark elsewhere that GAMI now has a chicken-and-egg problem with adoption and availability, and that resonates a bit.

For $1200, it is lower risk for me to ask forgiveness instead of permission. "Oops, I didn't see the G at the pump, myyyyy baaaaaaaad" :p -- it would cost less than $1200 if a fed critter made me drain my tanks and replace with 100LL. And since the fuel is approved for my airframe/engine combo, that scenario puts the fed in the... what... role of IP protection? what an odd world that would be. Federal ASI burning me for using an approved fuel without the permission of the rights-holder.

I think they'd do better to just add 5c to the pump price and not block people from buying their fuel due to a lack of paperwork. I get that they have R&D to recoup. But I also feel like it's an "okay so pick one" situation. Royalty per gallon or STC, but both feels icky. Especially with other contenders. The issue is far from settled, GAMI is just first to the post.

Once 100LL is killed with no viable alternative, though, I'll rub the feet of the statue of St. Braly like everyone else. :D Until then, though, it seems like a premature cash grab and I gain *literally nothing* by buying that STC today.

Well at least the STC will pay for itself in, uh...er. Well. Soon

We have Pponk O-470-50 which, through the oddities of the FAA registration database, isn't on GAMI's initial STC list,
Its not so much an oddity of the database as it is part of the AML-STC approval process which applies to only the original type certificate conformity. Aircraft/engines with previously approved modifications require an additional step to install and is normally a condition or limitation of the STC. The AML process applies a baseline approval across multiple TCs but it doesn't mean they've physically checked every specific model and variant. However, if the STC holder so chooses it can separately test those aircraft with previous modifications and include them on the list.

FYI: The STCs are needed for the simple reason there is no type certificate that lists G100UL as an approved fuel. It’s a paperwork exercise like a lot of things are in aviation. Now if an aircraft or engine gets certified today and it lists G100UL on its TC then no STC required. As to the STC being a recurring cost if one changes an engines doubtful unless GAMI wants to be greedy. STCs get transferred to different S/Ns with no issues. And the reason the STC is tracked by S/N is regulatory so there’s a record of which specific TC model was altered. No mystery.

so your engines you exchange don't have any other STC's that are not transferable? ...like GAMI fuel injectors? ...or cooling baffles?
Yeah... I'm a bit turned off by the STC being locked to engine serial number. That means this is a recurring charge (I do exchange engines over field OH) to get permission to buy the fuel that can't be bought yet. Wat? I've bought some stupid ish before, but that seems like an extra-frivolous torching of $1200.

I read a remark elsewhere that GAMI now has a chicken-and-egg problem with adoption and availability, and that resonates a bit.

For $1200, it is lower risk for me to ask forgiveness instead of permission. "Oops, I didn't see the G at the pump, myyyyy baaaaaaaad" :p -- it would cost less than $1200 if a fed critter made me drain my tanks and replace with 100LL. And since the fuel is approved for my airframe/engine combo, that scenario puts the fed in the... what... role of IP protection? what an odd world that would be. Federal ASI burning me for using an approved fuel without the permission of the rights-holder.

I think they'd do better to just add 5c to the pump price and not block people from buying their fuel due to a lack of paperwork. I get that they have R&D to recoup. But I also feel like it's an "okay so pick one" situation. Royalty per gallon or STC, but both feels icky. Especially with other contenders. The issue is far from settled, GAMI is just first to the post.

Once 100LL is killed with no viable alternative, though, I'll rub the feet of the statue of St. Braly like everyone else. :D Until then, though, it seems like a premature cash grab and I gain *literally nothing* by buying that STC today.

FYI: The STCs are needed for the simple reason there is no type certificate that lists G100UL as an approved fuel. It’s a paperwork exercise like a lot of things are in aviation. Now if an aircraft or engine gets certified today and it lists G100UL on its TC then no STC required. As to the STC being a recurring cost if one changes an engines doubtful unless GAMI wants to be greedy. STCs get transferred to different S/Ns with no issues. And the reason the STC is tracked by S/N is regulatory so there’s a record of which specific TC model was altered. No mystery.
Lots of experimental aircraft will be off the hook on this one.....:eek:

Bakersfield, actually.
https://www.avweb.com/ownership/fuel-news/gami-unleaded-avgas-stcs-approved-for-ga-piston-fleet/
Code:
Initially, Braly said, California Aeronautical University in Bakersfield, California, has agreed to be a launch volume customer for G100UL. Fuel components will either be shipped in and blended or a finished fuel will be shipped from a refinery in Texas by rail.

so your engines you exchange don't have any other STC's that are not transferable? ...like GAMI fuel injectors? ...or cooling baffles?

GAMI charges a reduced fee ($299 instead of $899) to move the injectors around. I bristled at first, but it includes a year of their swap service, which you'll need since the new engine spread won't be as dialed in.

So it "sucks less" and since gamijectors are a tangible product, my lizard brain can comprehend the situation better than buying permission to buy a thing I cannot buy. :D

...also you made me look. My baffles are linked to airframe.

GAMI charges a reduced fee ($299 instead of $899) to move the injectors around. I bristled at first, but it includes a year of their swap service, which you'll need since the new engine spread won't be as dialed in.

So it "sucks less" and since gamijectors are a tangible product, my lizard brain can comprehend the situation better than buying permission to buy a thing I cannot buy. :D

...also you made me look. My baffles are linked to airframe.
That's if GAMI will even acknowledge the data you send in to analyze how their injectors are doing. :rolleyes:

$490 total ($400 and $90) for my Mooney 252/Encore. 210 HP original, 220 with Encore upgrade. But 4 fill ports, so need more stickers.

It seems I was the first non-beta tester to buy the STC. Order number 0006. :D

What order numbers are they up to now?

That's if GAMI will even acknowledge the data you send in to analyze how their injectors are doing. :rolleyes:
Does it matter without a plane?

In seriousness, is it that bad? My dad wants to put them on his pa32 now that he's got an engine monitor.

Hmmm sounds like my new septic system.. According to the local government, my new septic tank which cost 12k vs 5k is much more environmentally friendly. Of course, in order to be incompliance a 2 yr license ($100) is mandated along with a maintenance agreement with a septic system ($400/yr) just to be environmentally friendly. Oh and I never got a choice.

is it that bad? My dad wants to put them on his pa32 now that he's got an engine monitor.

I've found John Paul rather attentive when it comes to injector swaps. Just provide him the data and he's good at cross-shipping the needed parts.

I've found John Paul rather attentive when it comes to injector swaps. Just provide him the data and he's good at cross-shipping the needed parts.
That was not my experience, but I will admit to not being very persistent. It went like this:

Me: Here is my file
GAMI: you leaned too fast
Me: Ok, here is a new file. How did I do?
GAMI: radio silent

Does it matter without a plane?

In seriousness, is it that bad? My dad wants to put them on his pa32 now that he's got an engine monitor.
I can be blamed for poor follow-up, but the ball was in his court. Life has been busy and I stopped asking for them to analyze. They'd probably claim I'm way beyond the install period by now and I'm on my own.

wow, harsh man
I got a ping on Flightaware yesterday from my plane. I thought maybe all the sudden they were done and test flying (yeah right). I'm guessing they did first power on and the ADSB tower got a ping from my transponder. But they haven't given me an update lately. As you can see above, I don't like pestering people. Character flaw of mine.

That was not my experience, but I will admit to not being very persistent. It went like this:

Me: Here is my file
GAMI: you leaned too fast
Me: Ok, here is a new file. How did I do?
GAMI: radio silent

Yeah, sorry, you may need to pester after two days. Diligent follow-up or consistent comms is not a trait I hang on any aviation vendor lately :)

I got a ping on Flightaware yesterday from my plane. I thought maybe all the sudden they were done and test flying (yeah right). I'm guessing they did first power on and the ADSB tower got a ping from my transponder. But they haven't given me an update lately. As you can see above, I don't like pestering people. Character flaw of mine.
Nah, not a character flaw. We love customers that don't call. The problem is we take advantage of that trait and forget. But we usually don't bill full time for their generosity. If it's any consolation, just finished harvesting honey. 85 gallons for the year. Couple jars got your name on em.

Could you imagine repair shops giving updates like we have to give in our industry? Some week's 1/2 of my job is status updates :eek:

Could you imagine repair shops giving updates like we have to give in our industry? Some week's 1/2 of my job is status updates :eek:
Yeah. I even texted him yesterday about the GFC500 software update seeing if he'd then give me a status. Nope. Very German. Just answered the question I asked. ;)

When/if it starts showing up at airports I'm likely to go to, I'll probably go ahead and get it. As of right now it's a bunch of money for nothing.

Back