funny business names

I saw a store in a non-English speaking part of Europe once.
The giant red letters atop the door read: "Titty Twister".
The store window displayed winter sport accessories. I noticed a snowboard or two. Then it hit me that it's the name of a snowboarding maneuver.

Little did the European residents know what words were hanging up there every day. I don't think anybody cared. It sounded "murken" and cool.
That store is gone now. Snowboarding isn't cool anymore.

Several years ago a smoke shop opened here in Gallup. A big temporary hanging sign went up... Fu King Smoke Shop. I almost wrecked my truck from laughing.

The sign was gone a few days later and the store was renamed.

This one's pretty lame by comparison.

A "beauty salon" in Fordland MO:

Curl Up and Dye

It's hilarious but it also seems to be a bit too self deprecating. Like, "that's what you'll want to do after I work on your hair."

On I-65 south past Louisville before the big airport, west side of interstate (right side): Cox’s Smokers Outlet (a tobacco shop).

This one's pretty lame by comparison.

A "beauty salon" in Fordland MO:

Curl Up and Dye

It's hilarious but it also seems to be a bit too self deprecating. Like, "that's what you'll want to do after I work on your hair."
That was the name of Carrie Fisher's beauty salon in the Blues Brothers movie.

Of course, this one is also a classic:

ccd106d09f79012f2fe600163e41dd5b

Motel - Toot-n-Come Inn
Motto: Stay Here for the Rest of Your Life

There's the pictures with the Sofa King store..."I'm Sofa King happy!" & "Sofa King low prices!"

Vietnamese places seem to have a sense of humor.
All over the place: "Pho King"
Used to be in Huntington Beach CA: "What the Pho?"
Long Beach/Belmont Heights CA (gone now, but there are others): "Me So Hungry"

Sign on an old battered pickup truck in my home town: "Light hauling and psychotherapy"
Used to be a lot of clubs named Cisco Ducks or Duck Fiscos

Nauga,
and great moments in advertising

Yeah, something about Vietnamese run places. There was, or may still be, a video store in Doraville, GA named My Dung. I'm sure that means something perfectly lovely in Vietnamese, it doesn't in English.

Then, of course, there's this place: https://www.yelp.com/biz/pho-kim-long-restaurant-san-jose
For those of you who don't know, "Pho" is pronouced something like "fuh". If you still don't get it, say those three syllables out loud.

Hey, what else would you expect from a country whose currency is the dong?

I thought "Mustang Ranch" was odd it had nothing to do with horses.

Nice city. It's been about 5 years for us. What were you doing there? I gave a presentation at a symposium being held in the MCG.
My wife's mom was an Aussie war bride. From a family of 13 siblings, she met an American soldier on a Melbourne tram, they married in 1944, and she sailed to San Francisco with hundreds of other war brides in 1946. She made only two brief visits back to Australia before her death in 1999.

We'd never been to Australia. There are scads of cousins over there we'd never met, so we finally made the trip in February. Three nights in Sydney, a 10-day cruise which began and ended in Sydney, then flew to Melbourne for four nights there, where we met several of the "rellies".

My wife is second from the right in this photo, "under the clocks" at Flinders Street Station. The others all are her first cousins, who live in and around Melbourne. Can you tell they're related? They do talk funny, though. They're all wonderful people.

Screen Shot 2018-06-08 at 9.53.20 PM.png

We also did some research into the family history, at the Immigration Museum in Melbourne. We found the names of my wife's great-great grandfather, his wife and infant son, on the passenger list of the vessel Ward Chipman, which sailed from Bristol, England, to Victoria in 1841 (they were subsidized settlers, not convicts!).

Photo album of the trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j36hr9IebTnWmPnx2

On a lawyers T- shirt I spotted many years ago : < Name of Firm > "Reasonable Doubt for a reasonable fee"

I like that

The long defunct Issaquah Parachute Center had cards that read "You Call, We Haul, You Fall."

My wife's mom was an Aussie war bride. From a family of 13 siblings, she met an American soldier on a Melbourne tram, they married in 1944, and she sailed to San Francisco with hundreds of other war brides in 1946. She made only two brief visits back to Australia before her death in 1999.

We'd never been to Australia. There are scads of cousins over there we'd never met, so we finally made the trip in February. Three nights in Sydney, a 10-day cruise which began and ended in Sydney, then flew to Melbourne for four nights there, where we met several of the "rellies".

My wife is second from the right in this photo, "under the clocks" at Flinders Street Station. The others all are her first cousins, who live in and around Melbourne. Can you tell they're related? They do talk funny, though. They're all wonderful people.

View attachment 63884

We also did some research into the family history, at the Immigration Museum in Melbourne. We found the names of my wife's great-great grandfather, his wife and infant son, on the passenger list of the vessel Ward Chipman, which sailed from Bristol, England, to Victoria in 1841 (they were subsidized settlers, not convicts!).

Photo album of the trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/j36hr9IebTnWmPnx2

Sounds like a great trip. I've always said that if the whole world got along like Yanks and Aussies, the whole world would be one big party.

I'm glad you got to visit Sydney, as well. I've been there several times. The husband of a professional acquaintance of mine described it as a cross between San Diego and London. I would add to that, "the best parts of both". I've had standards committee meetings there several times. The last time I posted the following picture on Facebook, much to the annoyance of a number of friends. My commute from the hotel to the meeting location (a few blocks up from the water at Circular Key) on it's way into picking me up. :D

IMGP1832.JPG

Kum-N-Go is convenience store chain in the plains states that seems to keep spawning more stores.

My wife thought I stopped at an adult store on my way out to Oklahoma when she saw “kum-N-Go” on the bank statement. They probably shouldn’t have gotten so creative with the spelling....

Not so much funny as appropriate.

Bought a "low cost" bead roller from a very large online retailer that started out selling books. It's taken a bit of work to get it to the point where it does decent job rolling beads in aluminum - on the bright side, the dies are made of soft steel (normally you would expect them to be hardened steel) so they are easy to re-profile so they work.

But, anyhoo, the company name? KaKa Industrial. Clearly descriptive of their overall quality.

My wife thought I stopped at an adult store on my way out to Oklahoma when she saw “kum-N-Go” on the bank statement. They probably shouldn’t have gotten so creative with the spelling....

Might have been a better name for a Fertility Clinic or Sperm Bank, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Local female hair salon here named Bushwhackers. Seems to me to be a poor word choice.

I went to a trade school in Waco back in '77,'78 and there was a plywood shack that probably never had a health inspection. It was called the Dog n' Burger. Actually pretty good. All they served was dogs and burgers along with the greasiest French fries I have ever seen in my life.

Another dive in a not much better building was Ptomaine Tommy's. Pretty cheep burgers and fries for a quick lunch.

I went to a trade school in Waco back in '77,'78 and there was a plywood shack that probably never had a health inspection. It was called the Dog n' Burger. Actually pretty good. All they served was dogs and burgers along with the greasiest French fries I have ever seen in my life.

Another dive in a not much better building was Ptomaine Tommy's. Pretty cheep burgers and fries for a quick lunch.

TSTI.....Was there from ‘79 to ‘81. Little gas station just outside the housing gate on the west side had decent chopped beef sandwiches. Georges for chicken fried steaks....

This place has the best fried chicken! Usually hit it on the way to Destin.

image.jpeg

Back