funny business names

Huntsville and Madison Alabama.

image.png

Last edited:
TSTI.....Was there from ‘79 to ‘81. Little gas station just outside the housing gate on the west side had decent chopped beef sandwiches. Georges for chicken fried steaks....

Georges.... forgot about that place. Back when restaurants were known for one item instead of the mass produced chain restaurants we have now.

Did you stay in the old WWII barracks converted into student housing?

Nah, I lived over on Brooks Lane, over in the old family/officer's housing. When I started, ELT was still in an original base building. We moved into the new, purpose built facility at the end of my 1st semester. The girlfriend's dad ran the Nuke program, and another friend's wife ran the girls' dorm over by the sewage plant. The last year I was there, I moved into the 8 plexes, over off of Ave C, in what is now the Red River apts.
There used to be a little shack with decent burgers, just a few feet from the control tower too....

I don't get it.

Maybe I’m reading too much into this but I think Gerhardt was pointing out that it doesn’t really make sense since Pho is pronounced closer to 'fuh’ than ‘foh’. But as a former resident of Columbus, I know that almost no one there knows the correct pronunciation and they all know the area code so I’m sure it works! If you tried that in California (or other places with significant Vietnamese populations) it might not work as well.

Nah, I lived over on Brooks Lane, over in the old family/officer's housing. When I started, ELT was still in an original base building. We moved into the new, purpose built facility at the end of my 1st semester. The girlfriend's dad ran the Nuke program, and another friend's wife ran the girls' dorm over by the sewage plant. The last year I was there, I moved into the 8 plexes, over off of Ave C, in what is now the Red River apts.
There used to be a little shack with decent burgers, just a few feet from the control tower too....

My last semester I stayed on Brooks Lane, I don't remember what the address was. Also familiar with the girls dorm by the sewage plant. I got caught there a few times and almost got suspended for that.....

I did diesel and heavy equipment mechanics in one of the old hangars.

I am guessing all the old military buildings are gone by now.

I did diesel and heavy equipment mechanics in one of the old hangars.

I am guessing all the old military buildings are gone by now.

Didn't know any of the diesel or heavy equip guys that I can think of. Roomies were Instrumentation, Laser, Welding and Meat Processing guys for most of the time I was there.
Looks like a couple of the block buildings are still there, but the BOQ's are all gone, as are all the old wood buildings. A couple of the hangars are still there tho.

Lots of memories there.....

We once picked an overnite / fuel stop on the way to OSH just to eat at the "I Don't Care" bar + grille in Van Wert, OH.

Great place.

Pen Island was always amusing when used as a domain name.

I had a friend who named his company Anterior Technologies. Most of us always referred to it as Posterior Tech.

Back