FAA vs YouTube Commercial Pilot channel(s)...

Did they happen to explain why they thought pulling the video off YouTube would improve safety AFTER the flight was over with? :rolleyes1:

I might be able to understand them saying "Don't do that anymore," but pulling the video is not going to retroactively make that flight safer!
It's not there to serve as an example of unsafe activity.

I am not surprised that the FAA started dabbling in them Ynterwebs. Been long overdue.
But I am surprised that they picked Stevo while there are ACTUAL concrete violations out there that are enforceable.
Could it be just a personal grudge of someone inside the FAA?

Just an FYI. Steveo posed a video this morning. I haven't viewed it yet.

Watched it, another good video (in my opinion).

I've got no idea, but I don't see a damn thing that someone should get upset about in his videos.

I watched one video. Thought it was a bit silly.

One question though: Does the guy ever use a checklist?

One question though: Does the guy ever use a checklist?
My friend met him and asked him the same question. He said he edits out the checklist usage. I'm sure it wouldn't add much more time to the videos.

My friend met him and asked him the same question. He said he edits out the checklist usage. I'm sure it wouldn't add much more time to the videos.

I hate to point this out, but there's almost no evidence of any jump cuts in most of his videos from the time he climbs aboard until he's at the runway.

I'm not going to go analyze all of them, to count videos without jump cuts in them where a checklist would normally be read, but it's clear he's BSing his way through that particular answer.

At least for some of the videos.

Meanwhile back in reality land, I bet a lot of single pilot ops like that, the pilot isn't REALLY using checklists like they probably should either (never seen one used in a jump plane video anywhere or an agricultural flight video either) -- but they're not filming nearly so often to bring attention such that anyone who wants to check up on them, can easily see it.

Become a video "star", welcome to being open to more scrutiny than most. If you don't turn the camera on, nobody knows what you did, but you. (Well, and the CVR if so-equipped. Don't crash and it won't tell its secrets either.)

Seriously people are making a damn mountain out of a mole hill.

Seriously people are making a damn mountain out of a mole hill.

"People", or FAA?

I think we're all just fascinated that anyone at FAA is even bugging him. Most of us have said we see nothing particularly unsafe in most of his stuff.

I bet they decided "coffee time" one hour prior to landing was too long in case he needs to pee during the approach. LOL!

I hate to point this out, but there's almost no evidence of any jump cuts in most of his videos from the time he climbs aboard until he's at the runway.

I'm not going to go analyze all of them, to count videos without jump cuts in them where a checklist would normally be read, but it's clear he's BSing his way through that particular answer.

At least for some of the videos.

Meanwhile back in reality land, I bet a lot of single pilot ops like that, the pilot isn't REALLY using checklists like they probably should either (never seen one used in a jump plane video anywhere or an agricultural flight video either) -- but they're not filming nearly so often to bring attention such that anyone who wants to check up on them, can easily see it.

Become a video "star", welcome to being open to more scrutiny than most. If you don't turn the camera on, nobody knows what you did, but you. (Well, and the CVR if so-equipped. Don't crash and it won't tell its secrets either.)
That's what I thinking too.

"People", or FAA?

I think we're all just fascinated that anyone at FAA is even bugging him. Most of us have said we see nothing particularly unsafe in most of his stuff.

I bet they decided "coffee time" one hour prior to landing was too long in case he needs to pee during the approach. LOL!

Yea the FAA - not surprising though.

)

I've watched quite a few of his (and lots of others, too).

His editing is really good. Take the latest video as an example. It's a 4 hour flight with 25 minutes of edited video...there's very little evidence of noticeable breaks in the footage.

Does he use a checklist? I have no idea. But I also know his videos are excellently produced.

If the shot is one continuous video shot without cuts, it has no "jump cuts". Jump cuts are time jumps made by cutting from one piece of video to another.

Usually his jump cuts are after he switches to an outside camera.

If the shot is one continuous video shot without cuts, it has no "jump cuts". Jump cuts are time jumps made by cutting from one piece of video to another.

Usually his jump cuts are after he switches to an outside camera.

Thx for clarifying. Cause I was gonna say south fla to Long Island in 20 minutes and I might just go get me a tbm.

So I think what Denver is saying is that starting from a few minutes prior to when he should be using a checklist to a few minutes past where he should have used it, there don't appear to be any edits or breaks in the vid.

WWMA101S ?

So I think what Denver is saying is that starting from a few minutes prior to when he should be using a checklist to a few minutes past where he should have used it, there don't appear to be any edits or breaks in the vid.

I think so. Sometimes. But like I said, I didn't sit and count them in all of his videos.

Then again, where's the requirement to use a checklist in Part91?

Depends on if he's operating under 91 or 135. Again, I don't know.

I think so. Sometimes. But like I said, I didn't sit and count them in all of his videos.

Depends on if he's operating under 91 or 135. Again, I don't know.

I've never seen a vid of him flying 135. His Caravan vids are all empty legs (so 91), and his TBM flights are 91.

Then again, where's the requirement to use a checklist in Part91?
If he's plain vanilla 91, none. If he's fractional, there is a requirement.

91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.
(a) The pilot in command of an airplane shall ensure that the following flying equipment and aeronautical charts and data, in current and appropriate form, are accessible for each flight at the pilot station of the airplane:

(1) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.

(2) A cockpit checklist containing the procedures required by paragraph (b) of this section.

(3) Pertinent aeronautical charts.

(4) For IFR, VFR over-the-top, or night operations, each pertinent navigational en route, terminal area, and approach and letdown chart.

(5) In the case of multiengine airplanes, one-engine inoperative climb performance data.

(b) Each cockpit checklist must contain the following procedures and shall be used by the flight crewmembers when operating the airplane:

(1) Before starting engines.

(2) Before takeoff.

(3) Cruise.

(4) Before landing.

(5) After landing.

(6) Stopping engines.

(7) Emergencies.

(c) Each emergency cockpit checklist procedure required by paragraph (b)(7) of this section must contain the following procedures, as appropriate:

(1) Emergency operation of fuel, hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems.

(2) Emergency operation of instruments and controls.

(3) Engine inoperative procedures.

(4) Any other procedures necessary for safety.

(d) The equipment, charts, and data prescribed in this section shall be used by the pilot in command and other members of the flight crew, when pertinent.

The TBM is owned by the company he flies for. I'm pretty sure he's not fractional.

Another one of interest I found recently on YouTube is Baron Pilot.

While I enjoy them both, what's up with Steveo and Baron Pilot prefacing all CTAF calls with "you got a"? Is this a Florida thing?

Yea the FAA - not surprising though.

My friend and I just got to meet him and Flight Chops at Oshkosh at the Bose tent that Friday. That same afternoon is when he first posted on FaceBook about the FAA coming after him. Talk about a buzz kill at such an awesome fly in! He was probably bombarded with questions the next day at his Foreflight meet up.

While I enjoy them both, what's up with Steveo and Baron Pilot prefacing all CTAF calls with "you got a"? Is this a Florida thing?

Hahaha I noticed that too. Never heard it around here yet.

I caught myself saying I'd give the controller a "flash" in response to an ident request the other day and immediately hated myself for saying it. LOL. Damn it Steveo!

Hahaha I noticed that too. Never heard it around here yet.

I caught myself saying I'd give the controller a "flash" in response to an ident request the other day and immediately hated myself for saying it. LOL. Damn it Steveo!
My instrument instructor would always say that. "NXXXX with the flash" when asked to ident.

Agreed. I did a quick look at one of his videos and had to wonder; what's the point? And MrAviation101? Ugh, can't stand to watch or listen to that dude.

Maybe I'm just weird or jaded, but in flying 737s, RV-8, AT-6, T-28, B-17, etc, I've never felt the need to record it and plaster it on YouTube... or it could be that I'm just getting crusty and old at 48? Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!

Agreed. I did a quick look at one of his videos and had to wonder; what's the point? And MrAviation101? Ugh, can't stand to watch or listen to that dude.

Maybe I'm just weird or jaded, but in flying 737s, RV-8, AT-6, T-28, B-17, etc, I've never felt the need to record it and plaster it on YouTube... or it could be that I'm just getting crusty and old at 48? Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!
Dang millenials ruin everything:)

I enjoy Baron Pilot, but, sorry, I know it's not a big deal, but I still wince a little at every "with you."

Bottom line, we all have our little idiosyncrasies. I sometimes cringe at mine (I mostly do it for self-debriefing and delete them).

I enjoy Baron Pilot, but, sorry, I know it's not a big deal, but I still wince a little at every "with you."

Bottom line, we all have our little idiosyncrasies. I sometimes cringe at mine (I mostly do it for self-debriefing and delete them).

When I hear 101 reply with the transponder code “in the box” it drives me nuts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back